Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

3 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Despite the number of outgoings, I can't say I'm overly worried about the impact their departure had, especially after the last couple of seasons.

GK - Willy was back up, and was never really preferred to Baz, even when the latter was having plenty of off days. We've brought in Lumley, probably also as a push to McCarthy.

FB - Perraud replaced by Manning; Tino was talented but we didn't see much of him due to injury. We still have KWP. Bree is a worry. Terrible move for him, and he's not in the plans at the moment. Holgate can supposedly play there, but I've no idea if he actually can or it's a AMN "he can play there".

DC - Salisu was talented, but downed tools; DCC had moments but also mistakes; Lyanco has heart, but also errors. We had a surplus of CBs (for a change) and still couldn't get  a decent partnership going. Stephens return, Holgate and 1 other incoming should be fine alongside Bednarek and ABK.

MC - This was understrength before, and has been gutted. Lavia was a talent and JWP one of our best players. Diallo is no loss, having never pinned down a role. We've brought in Charles and Downes, with Smallbone returning. We're still one short here, more so with Smallbone's injury. It's early days, but Charles and Downes have looked fine so far.

AMC - Alcaraz, Stu and possibly Aribo here and we can probably cover it from elsewhere too. So, don;t see anyone coming in unless we have departures.

AM/ Wide - Mo's job never really worked out, Orsic never started. Theo, through injury and contract issues, only popped up towards the end. He did fine, and would have been okay this season. But the club were never going to keep him. The returning Tella looks to be the big miss here, even though we've not had him when he's been at his current level. We've already got plenty here with Fraser, Sulemana, Edozie, SAA and AA dropping back. The Club have said they are are still looking to bring someone else in.

SC - Still as understrength as it was when SR had their first window. That's less of an issue in this division. Che and AA have started well. Big Paul clearly isn't in anyone's plans now that Nathan is long gone. 

I agree there have been a lot of changes. But of the departures, Lavia and JWP are misses. Tino and Tella were players we hoped we'd see the best of, rather than players who had been central to our team. We're told a replacement is coming in for Tella. But we've got options, even if this doesn't happen. Particularly with Fraser in. We've brought in 2 players to cover Lavia and JWP (more games, will determine how successful they are). KWP was always better on the right for me, and we have Manning now on the left.

Based on admitedly few games the replacements have all performed decently. 4 of the 6 are in the first team already, Lumley is the back up goalkeeper and Holgate hasn't had a chance to start yet. No duds yet, making it probably already better than last January.

SR may have some special deals lined up. I'd definitely like a central midfielder and a striker. But iwe've still plenty of strength in the squad, and certainly more than nearly any other team in the division. It should still be us against Leicester and Leeds for 2 of the 3 top spots, with our resources, as long as we can keep this strength beyond the window closing.

I wouldn't count Norwich out, think they'll be right in the mix of clubs chasing automatic promotion.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Despite the number of outgoings, I can't say I'm overly worried about the impact their departure had, especially after the last couple of seasons.

GK - Willy was back up, and was never really preferred to Baz, even when the latter was having plenty of off days. We've brought in Lumley, probably also as a push to McCarthy.

FB - Perraud replaced by Manning; Tino was talented but we didn't see much of him due to injury. We still have KWP. Bree is a worry. Terrible move for him, and he's not in the plans at the moment. Holgate can supposedly play there, but I've no idea if he actually can or it's a AMN "he can play there".

DC - Salisu was talented, but downed tools; DCC had moments but also mistakes; Lyanco has heart, but also errors. We had a surplus of CBs (for a change) and still couldn't get  a decent partnership going. Stephens return, Holgate and 1 other incoming should be fine alongside Bednarek and ABK.

MC - This was understrength before, and has been gutted. Lavia was a talent and JWP one of our best players. Diallo is no loss, having never pinned down a role. We've brought in Charles and Downes, with Smallbone returning. We're still one short here, more so with Smallbone's injury. It's early days, but Charles and Downes have looked fine so far.

AMC - Alcaraz, Stu and possibly Aribo here and we can probably cover it from elsewhere too. So, don;t see anyone coming in unless we have departures.

AM/ Wide - Mo's job never really worked out, Orsic never started. Theo, through injury and contract issues, only popped up towards the end. He did fine, and would have been okay this season. But the club were never going to keep him. The returning Tella looks to be the big miss here, even though we've not had him when he's been at his current level. We've already got plenty here with Fraser, Sulemana, Edozie, SAA and AA dropping back. The Club have said they are are still looking to bring someone else in.

SC - Still as understrength as it was when SR had their first window. That's less of an issue in this division. Che and AA have started well. Big Paul clearly isn't in anyone's plans now that Nathan is long gone. 

I agree there have been a lot of changes. But of the departures, Lavia and JWP are misses. Tino and Tella were players we hoped we'd see the best of, rather than players who had been central to our team. We're told a replacement is coming in for Tella. But we've got options, even if this doesn't happen. Particularly with Fraser in. We've brought in 2 players to cover Lavia and JWP (more games, will determine how successful they are). KWP was always better on the right for me, and we have Manning now on the left.

Based on admitedly few games the replacements have all performed decently. 4 of the 6 are in the first team already, Lumley is the back up goalkeeper and Holgate hasn't had a chance to start yet. No duds yet, making it probably already better than last January.

SR may have some special deals lined up. I'd definitely like a central midfielder and a striker. But iwe've still plenty of strength in the squad, and certainly more than nearly any other team in the division. It should still be us against Leicester and Leeds for 2 of the 3 top spots, with our resources, as long as we can keep this strength beyond the window closing.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not crying about all those players moving on! It's just a crazy level of change when you put it down in black and white like that.

It has been needed though, I think most will agree. There has been a huge stagnation over at least 3/4 years, the whole club needed a reset and this is one hell of a reset. We've never really connected with this team since the Koeman days, players have come and gone without really contributing anything and a select few have continued to stink the place out - but finally, there seems to have been a bit of a sweep and we're getting to a point again where we could potentially have a team to connect with, not hounded by the baggage of years of losing games.

• Like 5

Just now, saintant said:

I wouldn't count Norwich out, think they'll be right in the mix of clubs chasing automatic promotion.

Absolutely. It's not a comment to dismiss other clubs. If we're not focused and playing to our abilities then there area  number of teams who could do well. If we're not careful, we'll be out of the top two and hoping we can get through a tough, high pressure playoff. Or worse. The clubs with still some parachute payments left, should be towards the top of that pack. Norwich have certainly started well, and look to have more effective firepower than when it was relying on Pukki.

But our club should be clear that this is by far our best opportunity. Minds should be focused on that, and not some work in progress rebuild that could take years. Anything less would be a failure. Despite how it ended, we've got talent in our squad that nearly all the other sides can only dream of. If we utilise it, then we should be confident of the outcome.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not crying about all those players moving on! It's just a crazy level of change when you put it down in black and white like that.

It has been needed though, I think most will agree. There has been a huge stagnation over at least 3/4 years, the whole club needed a reset and this is one hell of a reset. We've never really connected with this team since the Koeman days, players have come and gone without really contributing anything and a select few have continued to stink the place out - but finally, there seems to have been a bit of a sweep and we're getting to a point again where we could potentially have a team to connect with, not hounded by the baggage of years of losing games.

Oh, I was getting that from your post. I wasn't knocking your opinion there. I went through the squad just to give it a once over myself. And I came to a similar conclusion. Lots of change, but needed. And yeah, we could be left with a group that looks like a team again. And from my sweep of the squad, I'd add that so far, we've done as well as can be expected in replacing the ones we actually needed to. As well as recouping a good amount of funds along the way.

There were a few posts that said nearly anyone could go, depending on the circumstances. The next few days could see us going into the upper end of what was realistically expected, comparing us to other clubs who have gone down.

We can only hope, and this is SR in a transfer window, that the club have learned and we come out of it strengthened and not depleted. I was thinking during the QPR cgems, that this should be the weakest we'd look until January. With everything settled, and properly replaced, things would get better. And we've done just fine up until then as well.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Do I remember reading someone writing recently that Tella would only agree to leave it he knew a replacement was coming.?

If so, just noticed that Paintsil and Tella (and JWP and Salisu) all have Stellar as agents.

If a player wants out he’s hardly going to turn around and go “but you’ve got someone else lined up, right?” 

Just rumours and bullshit that have got caught up, fairly unlikely anything of the sort would be discussed. 😊

Screenshot_20230829_002949_X.thumb.jpg.5187b23f9aa4cafe749f9ed09bf14638.jpg

Anyone posted this? Anyway 3 of our back 4 in the top accurate passing defenders. In addition having lost Jack for a while, Wood is on the list too as a likely replacement. OK we have been playing a heavy possession based system but I still think that's impressive. Especially Bednarek.

• Like 1

I think squad size is definitely going to be a factor on who leaves this week. RM has said even recently that there are still 2 training sessions with  the group split. So if we simply assume 2 players per position, then my educated guess is that we will  aim to see another 4 players leave without replacements. But if we loose a player deemed as 1st team we will replace. Also will have a U18/U21 player a challenger for each position. 

my view FWIW below.

leave and not replace - McCarthy, Aribo, Moussa, Onuachu

Will be replaced if leave - KWP, Che, Kameldeen.

based on current formation of 4-1-2-3 that we have been playing 

GK - Bazunu, McCarthy, Lumley, Bycroft (on website 1st team profile). I think McCarthy is on our list to try and loan out or at least a very small fee. Lumley coming in always seemed to be odd as a number 3. But having bycroft as 3rd keeper makes sense for a development perspective. 

LB - Manning and Larios. No change needed and Meghoma is U23/U18 challenger. 

RB - KWP and Bree.. the links to the Leeds RB might make me think 1 of these is off. I even wander if it’s Bree given he does not suit the tactics and was one of the ones who were aimed at in the league cup defeat… also find it odd links to KWP have been very quiet, honestly I thought he would have been linked and gone from the start… Abu would be the U21 challenger here.

CB - Stephens, Bednarek, Holgate, ABK. - links to Wood says likely ABK going and interest in Germany is clear. Not sure who a U21 challenger is here, but Abu was mentioned as being able to play across the back line and of course Shea can drop in here.

DM - Shea & Downes. both new and set.

CM - S.Armstrong, Charly, Smallbone, Aribo. We clearly have some strength here as I am sure Downes can play further forward and with Arma playing his best so far in this deeper role just makes me think that Aribo is expendable. Having been 1st team at Rangers and at his age he really should be in the 1st 11, so don’t think RM will be too fussed especially with Doyle getting minutes in pre-season and very much in the thinking. Plus the rumour of the Norwegian player from the Dutch league. 

Attacking wide Left. Edioze and Fraser. Does not look to change

Attacking wide Right - Sam AA - gap?

Attacking wide unknown.. Kameldeen has been injured and Moussa not played. I know they are typically LW but don’t think we can say for sure where RM would play them. The links to the Genk RW would say to me that 1 is gone at least, and maybe both but still not sure if RM wants to place too much on Sam AA early on. 

ST. Arma, Che, Mara, Onuachu. No doubt we are looking to shift Onuachu. RM had said words in the past that suggest he likes Mara and at 21 could be deemed as the 3rd person / challenger. so with Arma being multi positional I think if Che goes we will replace and has been said by RM. On a side note regarding Piroe, I was annoyed he went to Leeds, but genuinely think RM is happy with his forward line of Che, Adam and Mara and it sounds like nothing was clear cut for Che and RM wants him to stay. So if we went for Piroe then then Wilcox and RM would have had to be 100% on getting rid of Che this window and it feels that’s 50/50. It is a gamble though and maybe why we have feelers out for the Sunderland and Aberdeen striker so we can move late if we need to. 

Edited by saint in Den Haag
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Screenshot_20230829_002949_X.thumb.jpg.5187b23f9aa4cafe749f9ed09bf14638.jpg

Anyone posted this? Anyway 3 of our back 4 in the top accurate passing defenders. In addition having lost Jack for a while, Wood is on the list too as a likely replacement. OK we have been playing a heavy possession based system but I still think that's impressive. Especially Bednarek.

Unfortunately, it's completely misleading, as anyone who has watched Bednarek during our seasons in the PL knows he's dire under the ball as soon as he's put under any sort of pressure. Just shows the utter gulf between the two leagues.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

There will be a fee to it, they’re subsidising wages and as already stated we’ve already signed Manning as his replacement

Genuinely not sure how some of you survive day to day life if you flap this much about our football team, and in this case one of our 4 LBs (5 if you include KWP)

Amazing how you've extrapolated me "flapping" and struggling to survive day to day life from me simply saying I think a loan doesn't really benefit us enough to warrant losing him from the squad.

• Like 1

Next few days could get very interesting, hopefully we can find a place for Tall Paul and recoup some of his transfer. Which player do you most want to move on? 
it may seem like we’re letting go a lot but honestly I feel the more changes we can make from the squad that got us relegated the better. RM to make us enjoy our footy again. 

Summary of current squad, anticipated & potential departures and potential additions

GK: Bazunu, Lumley, McCarthy, Bycroft

• Potential Departure: McCarthy and/or Bycroft
  • Potential Addition: Unknown

FB: KWP, Manning, Bree, Larios, Meghoma*, Perraud

• Anticipated Departure: Perraud
  • Potential Departure: KWP
  • Potential Addition: Johnson or Other

CB: Stephens, Bednarek, Holgate, ABK, Lyanco

• Anticipated Departure: Lyanco
  • Potential Departure: ABK
  • Potential Addition: Nathan Wood

CM/CDM: Charles, Smallbone, Downes

• Potential Departures: None
  • Potential Addition: Johan Hove or other

AM: Alcaraz, S. Armstrong, Aribo (plus various players in other positions, esp. wingers, CMs and A.Armstrong)

• Potential Departure: Aribo
  • Potential Addition: Unknown

Wingers: Edozie, Sulemana, Fraser, Djenepo, Amo-Ameyaw*, Doyle*

• Potential Departures: Djenepo, Sulemana
  • Potential Additions: Tella replacement - Paintsil, Roberts or Rak-Sakyi?

Strikers: Che, Arma, Mara, Onuachu, Ballard*

• Potential Departures: Onuachu, Che
  • Potential Additions: Miovski, Duk, Shankland, Stewart or other

Have I missed anyone?

(* = Players from U21 and U18 who have featured in first team squads during pre-season and the first three matches)

Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth
Forgot to include Che as a potential departure!!
  • Like 3

I think it’s a pretty depressing outlook for the future that we just seem happy to let any player who wants to move move.. I get we are in the championship but at some point you would think we would be like that’s enough sales now .

can’t really see this changing even if we get to the premiership.. we just seem totally incapable of any kind of stand against the players wishes under the current board .. even when it’s more for the good of them then the club 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I think it’s a pretty depressing outlook for the future that we just seem happy to let any player who wants to move move.. I get we are in the championship but at some point you would think we would be like that’s enough sales now .

can’t really see this changing even if we get to the premiership.. we just seem totally incapable of any kind of stand against the players wishes under the current board .. even when it’s more for the good of them then the club 

In any profession someone who wants to change jobs can change jobs. People are not chattel.

As a manager you can choose to part on good terms or not. The way you handle it has a knock on effect beyond the person leaving. 

I also doubt the club would do something in the player's interest that wasn't in its own interest and vice versa. Everyone takes care of their own interests and those are hopefully aligned while a player is at a club.

I get it's frustrating that so many players are leaving but our squad was (is) too big and it's better to have players committed to the cause than whose hearts are elsewhere.

This is as true for Man City as it is for us. The only difference is they can throw money at the problem but even then if a player wants to move on they will - for example Gundogan this summer.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

If you stop allowing players to leave and they start to hand in transfer requests etc then it’s going to make a new player think twice about joining us.

We attract loads of great young talent to this club because we sell them on at a profit. It opens the door to attract even more.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Barsiem said:

Has this one been posted?  I will be p*ssed I'd he goes on loan only.  Better to keep him in that case

Nice big loan fee, does well in the Bundesliga, price next summer seriously inflated.

Of course it could go the otherway... but given his injury record you can see why a club would want to loan him first.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

If you stop allowing players to leave and they start to hand in transfer requests etc then it’s going to make a new player think twice about joining us.

We attract loads of great young talent to this club because we sell them on at a profit. It opens the door to attract even more.

Yup. We set our stall out to be a club that develops and sells rising stars. We can't then turn round to Tino or Lavia and tell them they aren't moving, when our valuations are met.

JWP has been with us a long time and don't begrudge him his move. Tella was just back from a successful loan. We've got a deal for him that was decent. Others were released at the end of their contract, or we're desperate to get away, and who won't be missed that much.

A number of reasons this season, from relegation,  us actually having talent to sell as per SR's plan, contract expiries, punting unwanted players on loan and simply deals that suit all parties.

We still have a few unwanted players and contracts close to the end to go. So, there could be more change.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

We said no to schneiderlin and van dijk in the past .. and kept plenty of good players ..

I just think it’s setting a dangerous image of us as a club that we won’t stop anyone leaving .. I also think it’s moved on worse nowadays in the form of tapping up .. when it happened with van dijk we made a big deal about it .. pretty sure it’s done now or though agents all the time ..

won’t be long before the likes of West Ham villa etc will be plundering us even if we get back to the premiership Imo .. u can never really move forward like this 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

We said no to schneiderlin and van dijk in the past .. and kept plenty of good players ..

I just think it’s setting a dangerous image of us as a club that we won’t stop anyone leaving .. I also think it’s moved on worse nowadays in the form of tapping up .. when it happened with van dijk we made a big deal about it .. pretty sure it’s done now or though agents all the time ..

won’t be long before the likes of West Ham villa etc will be plundering us even if we get back to the premiership Imo .. u can never really move forward like this 

Schneiderlin agreed to stay for one more season and he was a pro about it. He's a rare example of this.

Van Dijk was not a pro about it. His performance dropped after we turned Liverpool down initially because they didn't meet our valuation then they came back three months later.

Martin said some players decided to stay (eg Charly) which is great. If the player doesn't believe in what we're doing we can't force them. If they're not committed then they won't perform. If we keep them it has to be their choice as well.

Even Le Tissier came close to leaving but it was his choice to stay - not ours to keep him.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

In the premiership we did for sure, That VVD threw his toys out but we got top dollar in the end so it was a win win for us.

Now we are a championship team it’s much harder. Smallbone turned down an offer of 3 times his wages to stay with us BUT the club who put these terms through to his agent never made a good enough offer for the club to accept. 
Would things be different if Sheff Utd offered us 22m for him?!?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Has this one been posted?  I will be p*ssed I'd he goes on loan only.  Better to keep him in that case

The idea might be to do what Fulham (and others) did a couple of seasons ago - let a talented player out on loan in the hope/expectation that we're in the Prem next season and he'll be back.

4 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

In the premiership we did for sure, That VVD threw his toys out but we got top dollar in the end so it was a win win for us.

Now we are a championship team it’s much harder. Smallbone turned down an offer of 3 times his wages to stay with us BUT the club who put these terms through to his agent never made a good enough offer for the club to accept. 
Would things be different if Sheff Utd offered us 22m for him?!?

Issue for me is we had a team capable of killing the championship .. can understand letting ward prowse and lavia go to make our money ..but selling the likes of tella is just weakening us for the sake of him also wanting to go ..how will you feel in the last week if we also lose kwp sulemana Alcaraz and anyone else of worth .. it’s not like we are gonna replace them with better .. and us getting back to the top flight should be the priority 

• Like 2

Only snippet I've had is that we're very interested in 'a greek forward who plays in the dutch league', which I've deduced to be Tasos Douvikas as Pavlidis who plays for AZ would be well out of our reach. Douvikas scored 19 last season and can play off the wing or through the middle. No idea if we've bid but sounds like one to keep an eye on. 

• Like 3

I think " someone "  may have warned RM that he can't / shouldn't buy up too many Swansea players.

Those who have been mentioned were perhaps the best of the bunch, but now he didn't get Piroe, and will perhaps miss signing Wood.

My point is that IF they were the best he had at Swansea, they ought to have been a real challenger for promotion last season, and they weren't.

Every manager has " favourites"  he wants to take with him when he moves club, but there is surely a limit to how many more he will be " allowed "  to sign.

There are " other voices"  in the club who have certain players they want to see in the squad so that they will surely draw the line .." somewhere ". 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Only snippet I've had is that we're very interested in 'a greek forward who plays in the dutch league', which I've deduced to be Tasos Douvikas as Pavlidis who plays for AZ would be well out of our reach. Douvikas scored 19 last season and can play off the wing or through the middle. No idea if we've bid but sounds like one to keep an eye on. 

According to Wikipedia, he signed a 5 year contract with celta vigo yesterday. 

Edited by hypochondriac

28 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Issue for me is we had a team capable of killing the championship .. can understand letting ward prowse and lavia go to make our money ..but selling the likes of tella is just weakening us for the sake of him also wanting to go ..how will you feel in the last week if we also lose kwp sulemana Alcaraz and anyone else of worth .. it’s not like we are gonna replace them with better .. and us getting back to the top flight should be the priority 

We still have a team capable of killing the championship. We've got 10 out of 12 points despite learning a new system and first team uncertainty. Our loan signings seem smart. We've got talented kids ready for their chance. We're creating chances.

Given the dross we saw the last couple of seasons then having a big reset is not a bad thing.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

I think " someone "  may have warned RM that he can't / shouldn't buy up too many Swansea players.

Those who have been mentioned were perhaps the best of the bunch, but now he didn't get Piroe, and will perhaps miss signing Wood.

My point is that IF they were the best he had at Swansea, they ought to have been a real challenger for promotion last season, and they weren't.

Every manager has " favourites"  he wants to take with him when he moves club, but there is surely a limit to how many more he will be " allowed "  to sign.

There are " other voices"  in the club who have certain players they want to see in the squad so that they will surely draw the line .." somewhere ". 

He's only signed Manning so far and he's slotted in ok. Not sure how real the link to Piroe ever was except in our heads. Wood fits the profile of the kind of centre back we should be looking at.

I don't care where we sign the players from as long as they improve the team.

• Like 3

Andi Zeqiri is 24 and does look like the sort of player we might buy.

He is in final year of 3yr contract at Brighton, was bought but then loaned out to German then Swiss (Basel) clubs last two years. Scored a decent amount last year (11/30) and is a full Swiss international. 
Can play wing or CF and bears an uncanny facial resemblance to Broja! 
Might be a cheap CF option / Tella replacement ? 

Edited by gio1saints
SP

47 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

If teams in the prem can’t put their foot down and keep hold of their talent what hope do we have as a Championship team

The only hope we had was putting reasonable valuations on our players that needed to be met and generally, right now its seemed like its worked

There’s no point carrying players that don’t want to be here, its going to be a big push getting out the Championship and so you want players pulling together

This isnt football manager, you cant just say no really, as like Pilchards and Coalman has said, it undermines morale of the players still here and makes the youngsters we want to sign think twice

The best way you can play it is to say.. ‘You won’t go anywhere unless we get X for you’… Im also hopeful, despite the pressure, that we say if they’ve not left by midweek then thats that

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

He is in final year of 3yr contract at Brighton, was bought but then loaned out to German then Swiss (Basel) clubs last two years. Scored a decent amount last year (11/30) and is a full Swiss international. 

I reckon Zeqiri is our man. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Yeah, I looked him up when we were first linked.  Apparently played a lot of the time out on the wing last season.  I'm not sure 11 goals in 30 in the Swiss league is that great but Brighton seemed to think he had something about him.  Not that excited but guess we'll see.

52 minutes ago, coalman said:

We still have a team capable of killing the championship. We've got 10 out of 12 points despite learning a new system and first team uncertainty. Our loan signings seem smart. We've got talented kids ready for their chance. We're creating chances.

Given the dross we saw the last couple of seasons then having a big reset is not a bad thing.

Some of he teams so far in the Championship look good. I cant see us killing anything, only my enthusiasm lol 

Just now, qwertyell said:

Supposedly has a release clause of £20-25m, so it's probably irrelevant if his value skyrockets.

Release clause for relegation I think. So if we go back up at the first time of asking (assuming he doesn’t move perm), does that clause end?

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

..how will you feel in the last week if we also lose kwp sulemana Alcaraz and anyone else of worth .. it’s not like we are gonna replace them with better .. and us getting back to the top flight should be the priority 

I will feel a little disappointed, but if you had set your expectations at the start of the summer that all the talent would depart, as I did, then it would not be unexpected at all. You are right, we won't replace with better, but we might replace with players better than the rest in this league and then manage them better to help us get promoted. 

I have no problem with the dismantling of a dreadful squad and the bringing in of sensible replacements, a new era, a fresh start.

Keeping Lavia, Tella and Prowsie would have been nice, but the money has been right in fees and wagebill savings, and the new business model needs income.

There's more deadwood to clear, get them out of the door.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

I have no problem with the dismantling of a dreadful squad and the bringing in of sensible replacements, a new era, a fresh start.

Keeping Lavia, Tella and Prowsie would have been nice, but the money has been right in fees and wagebill savings, and the new business model needs income.

There's more deadwood to clear, get them out of the door.

I don't think the nucleus of the squad was that bad last season. We had more than enough quality to stay up, as is displayed by all the departures. As been said many times, it was the chronic mismanagement of the team that relegated us. We still had enough time to escape after the sacking of Jones, yet somehow the club still contrived to replace him with someone equally as inept. Had we replaced Ralph with a decent manager we would have stayed up no problem. Possibly meaning Everton would be in our shoes now.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Release clause for relegation I think. So if we go back up at the first time of asking (assuming he doesn’t move perm), does that clause end?

I think it looks like the offer is loan with an obligation anyway, so effectively its just a transfer with an FFP dodge

• Like 1

Tuesday - so we should expect to see some vague links to players today.

Wednesday - disappointment when the players we'd never heard of until yesterday are suddenly linked with Leeds.

Thursday - depression and anger as it looks like we aren't signing anyone.

Friday - Sky Sports news says there will be no incomings, until a late 10pm announcement that we've signed that winger on loan from Brighton.

There, I've saved us all a lot of time 👍

• Haha 5

Just now, Saint NL said:

Tuesday - so we should expect to see some vague links to players today.

Wednesday - disappointment when the players we'd never heard of until yesterday are suddenly linked with Leeds.

Thursday - depression and anger as it looks like we aren't signing anyone.

Friday - Sky Sports news says there will be no incomings, until a late 10pm announcement that we've signed that winger on loan from Brighton.

There, I've saved us all a lot of time 👍

We’ll bring in atleast 2

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

According to Wikipedia, he signed a 5 year contract with celta vigo yesterday. 

Correct, Douvlakis signed for Celta but  the other one mentioned in the original post is Pavlidis who also has an incredible scoring in NL

He has been linked with Sevilla (who have had a similar start to the season as Everton) and there are rumours En-Nesyri might be gone, but I suppose we could be in for him. Personally I think that would be a bit of a coup..