Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Apart from backup keepers and question marks on what our forward line will be past 11pm, I like our squad so far. 
Wouldn't mind understanding our finances, are we solely securing existing debts & loss of income with the outgoings or building a kitty for next year's return to the PL? 

- GKs : Hopefully our defence protects Baz a bit better than last year, making it a good year for him - unsure about what Lumley or McCarthy bring to the party...
- CBs: Cap Jack and Jan B being pushed by 2 young, experienced and robust English lads in Holgate and THB to finally try to plug that giant hole in the center of our defence.... sounds pretty good to me.... hope we don't regret that they are only loans
- FBs : As long as we hold on to KWP, along with Manning we have 4 hardworking guys with Bree and Larios being decent backups for a championship team.
- Mids : Keeping Stu as our "elder" makes real sense. Hope we get something out of Aribo and Sulemana this season (anything will be a bonus on last year). Can't fault the rest players, they look a really decent bunch. Hoping Charly smashes it this season, love the way he plays.
- Forwards: AA looks on fire and would really push on if we partner him with a good hold up player, such as Che whom I rate. Don't mind if Mara stays, think RM and staff will improve him. Tall Paul is an enigmatic one... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, saintant said:

8 hours for a medical! By my calculations that means all deals that will be done today would have to be agreed by 15.00. Can't believe it.

Yeah I think you can rush them through as ultimately its the buying club taking the risk but effectively you’ll probably only do that for a player that hasn’t had a huge history of injuries etc

Just now, Chez said:

we pay Swansea £12m for Woods and they spend £8m of it on Edwards perhaps? Or is that figure too low? £8m feels high for a Swansea fee.

I'm sure when we were linked earlier in the window Edward's supposed fee was higher than Wood's. He still has 2 years on his deal at P'boro

1 minute ago, Chez said:

we pay Swansea £12m for Woods and they spend £8m of it on Edwards perhaps?

It wouldn't make sense for us  to buy Wood now unless both ABK and Bednarek leave. Even if ABK goes, we'd still have Stephens, Bednarek, Holgate & THB plus Charles in an emergency and possibly even Awe as well ( depending on how he develops).

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

Sunderland children are out and about.

Bless him he's still not learnt that you don't get your favourite players name and number on this seasons shirt until the window SLAMS shut, poor little didums must have saved all his paper round money up for that.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

People are clutching at straws if they think that Johnson coming doesn't mean KWP will be going. It's a bummer but I think it was always expected.

It would free up KWP to play at left back when required. I don't think Martin rates Bree.

Still a bit concerned about where the goals will come from across a season aside from Arma and Stewart.

Doesn't seem likely we will replace Tella's goals effectively and might be light up front with Stewart, Arma and Mara if one or two got injured.

Defence and central midfield looks extremely strong.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

It wouldn't make sense for us  to buy Wood now unless both ABK and Bednarek leave. Even if ABK goes, we'd still have Stephens, Bednarek, Holgate & THB plus Charles in an emergency and possibly even Awe as well ( depending on how he develops).

I agree, how often does a club need a 5th choice CB? 

It's one position where you want a partnership playing each week. 

We already have Jack and Jan, club captain and a senior pro. 

We have signed two young players on loan who both would have been signed after being attracted by a decent amount of game time. 

Then we have, as @CamSaint said Awe, and whoever else is pushing from the under 21s.

Charles has looked decent there. 

Bree has played, I think CB, if we have a crisis. 

We are only currently in one competition. 

So even if Bednarek and ABK leave we don't really need Wood or anyone else. 

• Like 1

I think the strategy is basically that a committed team is stronger than a talented individual. For that reason I've got no issues with ABK or anyone else leaving that doesn't want to play for us.

Looking at where we're at right now I'd say we need a Striker in if Che and Tall Paul are gone. Stewart, Arma, Seku and another would be plenty of competition there.

Wings provided we can get Roberts I think is more than covered even if Kamaldeen goes.

Midfield is probably the strongest part of the team right now, no need for anything new there. O'Riley would be a bit of a Luxury signing.

Fullbacks are fine provided KWP stays and as mentioned above I think CB is fine even with ABK on his way.

You could argue a backup keeper would be great to replace McCarthy but seems he's going nowhere with his wages.

I think we look stronger as a unit all told and I'm really excited by a few of the guys we've brought in. A fit Ross Stewart is a hell of a signing.

• Like 1

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

Starting to believe we'll hold onto KWP and Sulemana at this point, which would make this a brilliant window in my eyes.

Sulemana is pointless keeping, clearly doesn’t want to be here and hasn’t bothered making himself available so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Sulemana is pointless keeping, clearly doesn’t want to be here and hasn’t bothered making himself available so far.

I'd like to see us lay down the law on this one, and make it clear we won't accept players trying to force move.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

He couldn’t do that all season though could he? Leeds have kept Gnonto and he scored for them last week against Ipswich. Let’s hope Sully stays and knuckles down. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I thought today was expected to be exciting with lots of ins and outs, as usual a bit dull at present.

Awaiting some clues from our on the spot itk's

rest assured Nick it's extraordinarily busy at Staplewood right now, Jason is going to enjoy a well earned glass of red come 11pm this evening. This are constantly evolving so keep refreshing this page and you'll be kept up to date with the latest news, some of which is imminent. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Fair points, will he knuckle down though? Can’t see it personally. 

I like the team spirit RM seems to have built so far, don’t want half arsed players ruining that.

I get what you mean. 

I think if it's truly in question we'll see him leave late on for a loan with an option.

33 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Still a bit concerned about where the goals will come from across a season aside from Arma and Stewart.

Doesn't seem likely we will replace Tella's goals effectively and might be light up front with Stewart, Arma and Mara if one or two got injured.

Defence and central midfield looks extremely strong.

We don’t play the same way as Burnley did with Tella, he wouldn’t of got 17 for us IMO

Goals will be shared relatively well Id imagine if we play infront of low blocks all year

11 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Yeah im not really fussed about Sulky.. he’s downed tools once, I still think he goes today

Fraser looks comfortably good enough and with a point to prove