Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Sunderland fans rate Stewart that's for sure, 6ft 4 and rapid pace what's not to like.

"Agree he is the best CF in the Division and likely to cost us more to replace him"

I didnt realise his nickname was 'The Loch Ness Drogba'!!

Now we have to sign the guy

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Sunderland fans rate Stewart that's for sure, 6ft 4 and rapid pace what's not to like.

"Agree he is the best CF in the Division and likely to cost us more to replace him"

The fact he's got a long term injury goes some way to detracting from his height and pace at the moment.

3 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Good. Want ABK to stay :)

It's been reported that Dortmund have about €10m left to spend this summer (unless they sell someone else, which looks unlikely at this point), so they have the funds to cover that amount this year. Assuming the total amount (loan + transfer fee) that appeared in the SKY Germany story stays the same,  you'd think this deal was still possible. We are just talking about more up front - assuming the transfer was not optional.

1 minute ago, Master Bates said:

Sydney van Hooijdonk any good?

No, the guys crap and you get his father for free too who’s an absolute bellend.

In Holland there’s been a big row in media with his dad, Pierre van Hooijdonk and the former manager of his son at NAC, Maurice Steijn (current Ajax manager). 

• Like 1

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

It’s really satisfying to know that our transfer dealings are being done largely behind closed doors.

Most of the “links” we’ve had have turned out to be bullshit. 😂

Exactly, every signing has come out of nowhere. 

The beauty of The Athletic not giving a shit anymore. 

Just now, Colinjb said:

Worried about the injury Ross Stewart has. Looks to be his only major injury in his career so far? Still, concerned about how a medical could reliably be done, his signing, regardless of past form represents a gamble.

In years gone by an injury like that would scupper any likelihood of the signing happening as the buying club wouldn't be able to insure the player. Not sure what has changed, or if clubs now just take the risk.

4 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Worried about the injury Ross Stewart has. Looks to be his only major injury in his career so far? Still, concerned about how a medical could reliably be done, his signing, regardless of past form represents a gamble.

Didn't he do his ACL ? Didn't stop Tino and a tonne of other players getting back to it.

I think an ACL injury doesn't have the detrimental impact on a player it used to as medical surgery and rehab has improved alot.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Not sure what's the bigger gamble...a crocked bloke who's decent when fit, or someone from the Belgium league who's shit when he's fit. 

On balance, I reckon we'll take a punt on him. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

It's been reported that Dortmund have about €10m left to spend this summer (unless they sell someone else, which looks unlikely at this point), so they have the funds to cover that amount this year. Assuming the total amount (loan + transfer fee) that appeared in the SKY Germany story stays the same,  you'd think this deal was still possible. We are just talking about more up front - assuming the transfer was not optional.

The have a net profit this summer of nearly €60m despite signing Nmecha (€30m) and Sabitzer (€19m). How can they only have €10m left to spend? Are they operating on a €50m loss every season?

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Didn't he do his ACL ? Didn't stop Tino and a tonne of other players getting back to it.

I think an ACL injury doesn't have the detrimental impact on a player it used to as medical surgery and rehab has improved alot.

Think it was his achilles

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

I reckon we have a few aces up sleeve / players which haven't been mentioned. 

or have possibly been mentioned briefly in the press, a while ago, but then we have collectively moved on on here - a bit like Fraser and Holgate, who were linked to us right at the very start of the window, and then reemerged just as they were being completed.

• Like 1

Medicals are always slightly different too. Some will focus more on different areas of interest than others.

I think too many people view them as a literal test where you pass or you fail. The reality is that the doctors assess and score them across a bunch of criteria, write extensive notes and then categorise the player onto a scale based on different risk factors. Then those reports are sent onwards to the club executives etc to review and make the final decision on whether they are prepared to proceed or not, whether they wish to renegotiate elements of the deal etc.

It's not that a doctor turns round and says 'he failed the medical' as such.

I think we'll take the chance on Stewart too and based on what Sunderland fans and neutrals say about his ability to get over 20 goals if he's largely fit, it sounds worth a go. Especially on the basis that Ings arrived with two blown out knees and was brilliant for us. Stewart had a bad hamstring injury (not at all uncommon for footballers) and then a major achilles issue (which is what warrants a closer look at, given it's a tendon injury).

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

It's achilles tendon, not ACL. 

• Like 1

Just now, Saint Scott said:

The have a net profit this summer of nearly €60m despite signing Nmecha (€30m) and Sabitzer (€19m). How can they only have €10m left to spend? Are they operating on a €50m loss every season?

yes. I think they are.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Appy said:

Exactly, every signing has come out of nowhere. 

The beauty of The Athletic not giving a shit anymore. 

you are just joking, right? It's hard to keep up with the discussion nuances on this very fast moving thread.

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

The fact he's got a long term injury goes some way to detracting from his height and pace at the moment.

Not sure how long term it is. Clearly you’ve have to be careful . He’s doing light training. Sunderland were planning a behind closed friendly during the international break. I know Tinos return was a bit stop start but I suspect our recovery team have amassed quite a bit of knowledge.

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

you are just joking, right? It's hard to keep up with the discussion nuances on this very fast moving thread.

I think once there’s been a serious link with a player this summer, it’s been pretty much done very quickly, probably Paintsil aside, who is messing everyone about. 

8 minutes ago, Bakovnetski said:

Che alternative for Palace or us?

when I see both Prem and Championship sides linked to a player, the first thing that comes to mind is `part of, if not all of this story is bollocks'

• Like 1

Drameh off to Birmingham on loan by the sounds of it. The RB slot for us really is a bit of a mystery - almost no links to KWP all window, yet still feels like he’s going to go, and all our linked replacements/reinforcements are ending up elsewhere. 

Also wonder if ABK not leaving impacts the Harwood-Bellis loan? Would give us 5 CB’s who would all expect to start, if ABK didn’t leave. 

21 hours ago, Saint86 said:

How is sulemana 'money pissed away'? We'll be able to sell him for at least close to what we paid, and might well make a tidy profit. It's money pissed away if the club do something stupid and let him go cheap, but he's a class player, has a long contract, and has plenty of clubs interested. 

You don’t mention Tall Paul so I’ll take that as you agree we wasted time and money. As for Sulemana he was brought in for one main reason, keep us in the Premier League and he along with Paul offered little to nothing in that department. Maybe we will get our money back, I certainly hope so but currently we’re stuck with one no one seems interested in and another that doesn’t seem interested in staying. Sorry but in my humble opinion that’s money pissed away and I can only hope you’re correct about money coming back as we could really use it now.

2 minutes ago, Appy said:

I think once there’s been a serious link with a player this summer, it’s been pretty much done very quickly, probably Paintsil aside, who is messing everyone about. 

What is your interpretation of `serious link'?

We were seriously linked to Holgate and Fraser right at the start of the window. Those deals took a while to happen. 

The Downes' move was heavily covered for a long time in advance. I think we may have been discussing him oo here before the press were though, so when the `serious' link took place I am not sure. 

The reported approach/bid for Nathan Woods seems genuine and very serious - that's obviously not happened yet and may never will.

Luca Kerber and Hove links both seemed quite serious and genuine and haven't happened yet - very tricky to know if they were true or not.

The Piroe link was serious and seems genuine. Didn't he mention it himself that we were interested?

Not sure if/what parts of the Paintsil story is genuine or not. 

Ross Stewart bid/story seems serious. It's moving pretty fast. Raises the question, what is fast? Some of these transfers pop up, but the talks maybe have been over weeks or even longer. 

7 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

Not seen this one, not sure why we'd need a young right back unless offloading Bree and understudy to KWP.

or offloading KWP and understudying Bree!

We just signed Abu, another 19 year old right back. Seems strange to be looking for another. I guess Abu might only be seen as a U21 team player and this lad first team already. 

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

or offloading KWP and understudying Bree!

We just signed Abu, another 19 year old right back. Seems strange to be looking for another. I guess Abu might only be seen as a U21 team player and this lad first team already. 

Similar to what Martin said about Perraud, I can’t see Bree playing being first choice fullback. More likely that we would want to shift Bree 

• Like 1

Well we seem to be in the calm before the storm at the moment.

I would of thought one or two either way would happen today or it’s going to be one hell of a day tomorrow.

I guess we are still waiting on outgoings such as ABK before signing THB so 11.00 pm tomorrow it is then.

Patrick Roberts is a very good player at this level, but would mean there isn't a huge amount of pace and directness in the side.

That was where Tella was a nice point of difference, Roberts is more similar to Edozie as in a technical, tricky player.

• Like 1

Just now, northam soul said:

Well we seem to be in the calm before the storm at the moment.

I would of thought one or two either way would happen today or it’s going to be one hell of a day tomorrow.

I guess we are still waiting on outgoings such as ABK before signing THB so 11.00 pm tomorrow it is then.

I should imagine if you are working on these deals it isn't calm today and wasn't yesterday or any day in the last few weeks.  

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Patrick Roberts is a very good player at this level, but would mean there isn't a huge amount of pace and directness in the side.

That was where Tella was a nice point of difference, Roberts is more similar to Edozie as in a technical, tricky player.

one year of his contract. 

He feels like a player we will have been tracking for years and years - I assume there is someone at the club connected to the scouting department that has been here a long time too? 

Just now, saintant said:

I think we can probably discount any signings from abroad unless someone is here already and having a medical. These things seem to take forever so I reckon anyone we get now will be UK based. 

or had the medical yesterday.

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

I think we can probably discount any signings from abroad unless someone is here already and having a medical. These things seem to take forever so I reckon anyone we get now will be UK based. 

Not sure about that one. The mad Welshman Nate dog was on the EFL podcast this morning talking about our January deadline day deals for Onuachu and Sulemana and how we had to quickly get them to Paris for their medicals on deadline day. I assume the same thing would happen in this instance if we wanted someone from abroad.