Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

11 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Was it last summer we were linked with Anjorin? - signs for those lot down the road 🤢

image.thumb.png.00b321032c87c17b70f519dc3fb27f67.png

A shame, we are really poor on the Shit Tattoos count this season. We never really replaced Ings and now Lyanco's gone too.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Worth accepting that that's unlikely. Wyqat we should do if we are going with the Sunderland bloke, is get in a winger who could also play a more attacking role if required rather like Tella. 

Zeqiri from Brighton could be a good fit to play Tella's role. Seems to have gone quiet now though.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, igsey said:

A shame, we are really poor on the Shit Tattoos count this season. We never really replaced Ings and now Lyanco's gone too.

That Legacy thing on his arm is one of the worst Tattoos I've ever seen not only does it look like a kid designed and drew it but it is so cringeworthy that it almost defies belief!

Edited by a1ex2001
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Che doesn't seem to be anyone's first choice, only their fallback option. But if he goes, which striker will we replace him with? Ross Stewart, Patrick Roberts (both Sunderland), Duk and the Macedonian (both Aberdeen). 4 strikers linked, and we can't buy them all.

I wouldn't call Patrick Roberts a viable replacement for Che. Isn't he more of a wide player so might be a replacement for Tella?

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

Not much news at the moment. I'm sure behind the scenes there is a flurry of activity going on. Guess we just have to wait for the dominoes to fall and see who we get and who we lose.

It seems as if those leaks have been plugged that Martin was unhappy about. I'm quite content with it being quiet, THB came out of nowhere last night and anything in the public domain may allow other teams to jump onto our targets.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I am sure there is something in there that we probably haven't paid them in full for him yet, as transfers are normally split into installments. Maybe giving him back means we eradicate the need to pay for him.

Surely there's something in the trade descriptions act that means we don't have to fork out.....he's been missold as a striker.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Saint Scott said:

It seems as if those leaks have been plugged that Martin was unhappy about. I'm quite content with it being quiet, THB came out of nowhere last night and anything in the public domain may allow other teams to jump onto our targets.

Spoiler alert - Leeds aren't finding out we're interested in X because of the daily echo tweeting about it or someone posting on a fans forum. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Like most, i am not too bothered about missing out on Paintsil - it all seemed unnecessarily difficult and as someone alluded to, would we have been in for him if we weren't trying to get rid of onuachu.

does anyone recall any other links this summer to wide forwards? surely with the faffing of Paintsil with leeds first off we would have known it was unlikely and hopefully started options B & C

also surely Chelsea have far too many players on the books currently - any young talented players in their U21's  getting a bit old now that might drop down for a loan? not that i am suggesting we do - but intrigued what will happen to Broja this year. he may well get a fair but of bench time but will be a shame if he struggles to challenge jackson, Nkunku, Palmer etc.. after a bad injury - 6 or 12 months playing regularly in the championship or abroad could be good for him 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Scott said:

I'm never sure what difference it makes by not allowing our transfer targets to become public. Surely all clubs would already be aware of any decent players plus their agents will be touting them around non-stop. I guess it might help a little but not convinced it makes much odds.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, saintant said:

Zeqiri from Brighton could be a good fit to play Tella's role. Seems to have gone quiet now though.

Stewart and Zeqiri would be decent business to cover Tella / Che. Zeqiri can play through the middle as well can't he? Sounds sensible to me as we can't rely on Stewart to play every game this season. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

Genuine question - why the hype over Zeqiri?  Only seen the YouTube highlights but seems a bit meh to me.  He mainly plays as a striker although has played on the wing, doesn't have a fantastic scoring record in the Swiss league.  It's only YouTube but nothing really stood out for me.

I don't think anyone is hyping him up. Guess we have to remember we're in the Championship so have to cut our cloth accordingly - we'll not attract the better players now. He looks like someone who could come in and do a decent job at this level.  Every deal is a gamble as we know to our cost.

7 minutes ago, saintant said:

I don't think anyone is hyping him up. Guess we have to remember we're in the Championship so have to cut our cloth accordingly - we'll not attract the better players now. He looks like someone who could come in and do a decent job at this level.  Every deal is a gamble as we know to our cost.

Oh yeah, accept that.  Just found it odd that people thought it would be good business when personally nothing really stood out.  I think Roberts looked much better and experienced in the league.  Also like Diangana although he mostly plays on the left.

10 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Oh yeah, accept that.  Just found it odd that people thought it would be good business when personally nothing really stood out.  I think Roberts looked much better and experienced in the league.  Also like Diangana although he mostly plays on the left.

Agree with you on Roberts - think he would be great in the Tella role.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dman said:

Spoiler alert - Leeds aren't finding out we're interested in X because of the daily echo tweeting about it or someone posting on a fans forum. 

im always amused that fans think smokescreens are real things when it comes to transfers. A club will put out in press they are in for one player whilst behind the scenes secretly negotiating for someone else. Almost as if players, agents, clubs and staff dont speak to each other. 

14 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

The thing with Paintsil situation is interesting as despite what that journalist from Beligium says. Mike McGrath from the Telegraph is usually pretty reliable. I guess we will find out over the next day.

I don’t think that Sacha guy (if that’s the journalist from Belgium you’re referring to) is overly reliable - he was changing with the wind when it came to Lavia, always seemed a step behind everyone else despite sounding like he had a close contact.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

im always amused that fans think smokescreens are real things when it comes to transfers. A club will put out in press they are in for one player whilst behind the scenes secretly negotiating for someone else. Almost as if players, agents, clubs and staff dont speak to each other. 

And is the COT usually informed in advance of the intended smokescreen?

• Haha 3

I was hoping for at least one player in today, so I wouldn't be hitting refresh as much tomorrow!

So it sounds like we'll get either Harwood-Bellis on loan or Nathan Wood on a permanent. Stewart or Duk/Miovski up top. Paintsil dead in the water and the only other winger were linked with is Zeqiri from Brighton as far as I can see.

I still think Sulemana is likely to leave, along with ABK. If we can keep them and also KWP, I'll be very happy.

3 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I don’t think that Sacha guy (if that’s the journalist from Belgium you’re referring to) is overly reliable - he was changing with the wind when it came to Lavia, always seemed a step behind everyone else despite sounding like he had a close contact.

Totally agree.

Iwobi to Fulham looks likely. Demarai Gray also very likely off to Saudi. If both happen will there be enough financial wiggle room to do a deal for Sulemana, perhaps on loan this year with a requirement to buy afterwards, similar to the ABK deal that has been touted by Sky Germany?

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I never mentioned a smokescreen.

What I did say is if we've plugged club leaks and our transfer dealings are out of the public eye it would help to get them over the line. Whether you believe it or not if it is in the public domain fans begin to put (some) pressure on their owners if previously linked and another team has come in for them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

I was hoping for at least one player in today, so I wouldn't be hitting refresh as much tomorrow!

So it sounds like we'll get either Harwood-Bellis on loan or Nathan Wood on a permanent. Stewart or Duk/Miovski up top. Paintsil dead in the water and the only other winger were linked with is Zeqiri from Brighton as far as I can see.

I still think Sulemana is likely to leave, along with ABK. If we can keep them and also KWP, I'll be very happy.

I'm convinced clubs are told to avoid transfers in the couple of days leading up to deadline day in the hope of creating a more frantic (and therefore exciting) day on SSN

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

I believe Harwood-Bellis will be announced today, seemingly had his medical yesterday and is all but done.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

I never mentioned a smokescreen.

What I did say is if we've plugged club leaks and our transfer dealings are out of the public eye it would help to get them over the line. Whether you believe it or not if it is in the public domain fans begin to put (some) pressure on their owners if previously linked and another team has come in for them.

i didn't say you did. It was a seperate point

@tdmickey3/always/chapel end all over the likes though. Wierd.

• Haha 1

I don't really think we need another wide forward regardless of Sulemana leaving or staying (yes, I know RM said we would get one...).

Edozie, Fraser, SAA are obviously competing for spots, then there are Djepeno and Aribo who don't seem to be going anywhere, plus we've got Stuart Armstrong, Alcaraz and Adam Armstrong all potentially competing for an "8", assuming that we will usually play two of Charles, Downes and Smallbone in midfield.

Personally, I'd be happy playing Stu, ArmA or Alcaraz in one of those wider roles sooner than spaffing money on another winger.

Striker and CB should be the priorities.

Edited by benjii
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, benjii said:

I don't really think we need another wide forward regardless of Sulemana leaving or staying (yes, I know RM said we would get one...).

Edozie, Fraser, SAA are obviously competing for spots, then there are Djepeno and Aribo who don't seem to be going anywhere, plus we've got Stuart Armstrong, Alcaraz and Adam Armstrong all potentially competing for an "8", assuming that we will usually play two of Charles, Downes and Smallbone in midfield.

Personally, I'd be happy playing Stu, ArmA or Alcaraz in one of those wider roles sooner than spaffing money on another winger.

Martin doesn’t see Stuart Armstrong as a singer, he’s said a few times now, we definitely need another wide player I think. 

8 minutes ago, benjii said:

You make a very good case. My only concern is that Tella scored a lot of goal last season for Burnley so we need someone to do similar. I'm not sure any of our current options have that in their locker but maybe one will step up to the plate and prove me wrong.