Golden Raspberry End of Season Player & Manager Awards

Saint Billy

Apart from Lavia, picking out highlights of this season is almost impossible, so lets make it easier doing it this way.

1. Worst Player of the Season.

2. Worst Manager.

3. Worst Team Performance of the Season.

4. Most Embarrassing Moment.

5. Biggest Player Disappointment.

6. Who is responsible for this shit show.

Please feel free to add more.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Easy

Moi

Selles

Wolves home

The entire Nathan Jones period

Orsic

Rasmus

To be fair the ‘worst performance’ award was challenging. At the time Villa away was as bad as I’d seen in years but since then we’ve had various performances trump that including Sheff WeD, Forest and Grimsby (maybe some others I’m too traumatised to recall). But wolves has to edge it due to the circumstances. Epically bad.

• Like 1

1. Worst Player of the Season.  Moi is the easy answer, but for me its Bazunu. Not his fault, he's out of his depth at such a young age but I cannot believe we addressed such an important area with a GK who was playing L1 last season. Honourable mention  for Adam Armstrong. 

2. Worst Manager. Tough, very tough. I'm going to land on Jones because of the sheer delusion but every criticism about the on pitch stuff could be aimed at Selles too. He just wears a polo neck. 

3. Worst Team Performance of the Season. So many to choose. Forest at home was the real penny drop moment for me about this lot. However I am going to go with Brentford at home. Not an obvious choice in a season full of lows but with an opportunity to get out the bottom three, to turn that performance in was pathetic.

4. Most Embarrassing Moment. The utter shower of scurrying around for a CF on deadline day. That shows the decision makers for what they really are.

5. Biggest Player Disappointment. Not his fault as he has been played out of position most of the season, but KWP. At his peak he is an international quality FB. We saw glimpses against United away when he was played in his best position.

6. Who is responsible for this shit show. Martin Semmens and Rasmus Ankerson.

• Like 1

In the Oscars tradition I'd like to say that this was such a tough one to call and all the candidates deserved to win in their own way, but the award goes to... Adam Armstrong. Special mentions to Ely, the guy in the S Armstrong costume and a late entry from Tall Paul.

2. Worst Manager.

More great candidates here but it just has to be Jones

I feel this is too early to call and that there is a 10-0 still in the tank. Forest for now.

Jones infamous press conference with Bednarek's own goal a close second.

Joe Aribo after his Messi-like goal in pre-season. Orsic a very close second - WTF happened there, I'm still baffled?

Whoever's idea it was that playing youngsters who aren't ready for the Premier League in the Premier League would result in anything else than a team exiting the Premier League. I'm still not sure if that's Semmens or Rasmus but it was a crap idea and then the panic experienced signings have been a disaster - Orsic, Tall Paul...

1) Tough one this - Baz and Moi run him close, but A Armstrong has offered absolutely nothing.

2) At the moment Jones, reserve right to change at end of season as Selles is quickly catching up, at least Jones had a long ball plan with Tall Paul to try something different

3) Can only be Wolves at home. You can’t lose from a 1-0 lead against 10 men for most of the game

4) So many, going to go for Che’s attempted header against Wolves with an open goal. if anything sums up our entire season it’s that shocking miss.

5) Osric - was bought as the ready to play difference maker but is somehow worse than our multitude of poor wingers.

6) Ankerson - he decided Jones was the answer, and he personally took accountability for the terrible Jan window where he was apparently ‘buying players to keep us up’. 

1 hour ago, Saint Billy said:

Apart from Lavia, picking out highlights of this season is almost impossible, so lets make it easier doing it this way.

2. Worst Manager.

1. Aribo - Dosent give a shit and doesn’t do anything

2. Selles - been coaching them all season, they’ve been shit all season. dosent play a striker and tactics a f*** useless

3. Grimsby or villa away - can’t decide, both sh*t. Grimsby as it was embarrassing, villa as it was so dire

4. Che adams handball goal vs wolves, watching bazunu attempt a save, Bednarek OG vs wolves

5. Stuart Armstrong - annoyingly has had fitness issues and thus has looked off the pace and shite whenever he plays. disappointing as he can be a good player when on it. 

6 - Ankerson and that Shields fella - rubbish signings with no experience has cost us, all to try and make a profit off man city. 

Edited by SotonianWill

1. Worst Player of the Season. - ARIBO & LYANCO

2. Worst Manager. - JONES

3. Worst Team Performance of the Season. - NOTTS FOREST HOME & BRENTFORD HOME

4. Most Embarrassing Moment. - THE NATHAN JONES EXPERIENCE, ALL OF IT !

5. Biggest Player Disappointment. - STUART ARMSTRONG HAS BEEN AWFUL THIS SEASON

6. Who is responsible for this shit show. - WHOEVER DECIDED NOT TO BRING IN A COUPLE OF OLDER EXPERIENCED PLAYERS TO HELP THE KIDS

1 - This is a hard one as there are so many you could pick. Diallo and Ely are up there, but Aribo pips it for me. I had relatively decent hopes for him in the summer but the guy doesn't look capable of impacting games at a decent level, and is lazy as hell.

2 - Jones - can't be anyone else can it? The guy talked himself out of the job before he'd taken his first game. 

3 - Grimsby for me. Same old bollocks, sideways, crabby non-penatrive football - against Grimsby FFS. This is Grimsby who often have teams putting goals past them in L2, but we still struggled to create. Fundamental problems in this team.

4 - The Che one against Wolves, no contest for me. I have no idea what he was doing. Pretty much sums up our attackers who are all thick as shit.

5 - DCC. I thought he'd add the experience we needed and was a solid replacement for Bednarek. But the fact we recalled Bednarek to take this guys place says a lot. Of the times he has played he has defended abysmally as well - the goal against WHU being a case in point. Expected so much more, but he's just like the rest - brain dead rubbish.

6 - I don't think you can pin it on anyone particularly, it's a culmination of lots of things over many years, we've just accelerated it this year through a series of shocking decisions. The main issue I have with this club is how they see one success as being proof that they've cracked football. i.e. our summer when Koeman came in, thought we'd cracked recruitment (we didn't, we just got lucky). Last summer we thought we'd cracked youth recruitment with Tino, so we decided this year to attempt to fill the spine with Tino's and it's failed as expected.

• Like 2

1- Jesus, where do you start? Any of the starting 11 are candidates. I'll go for Adam Armstrong, totally out of his depth in this league.

2- Has to be Jones. Still can't understand why they even interviewed him, assumming they ever did.

3- Wolves home. No question. To lose against ten men at home, whilst they had been down to said ten for most of the game, its an absolute disgrace.

4- Jones calling Bednark Janny B. What the fuck.

5 - I thought Orsic would be great, again shit recruitment coupled with panic.

6 - Ankerson and Semmens have to take the brunt of it. 

• Like 1

2. Worst Manager.

Aribo

Jones

Forest

Signing Bree

Che

Semmens/Ankerson

1. Worst Player of the Season. Elyounoussi. The epitome of how bang average useless and uninspiring this team has become. Deemed not good enough for us previously, hasn’t got any better since then but is now a regular starter. Slow Joe not too far behind.

2. Worst Manager. Nathan Jones by an absolute mile. Ralph had given up, Selles is making a good job of ensuring he doesn’t get the gig long term, but Jones was utterly clueless.

3. Worst Team Performance of the Season. Saints 1 Grimsby 2 for the result. The worst actual performance was Forest, an utterly pathetic display.

4. Most Embarrassing Moment. The whole Nathan Jones saga. His demeanour on the sidelines, the awful video of his first training session in Spain, his cringeworthy comments from press conferences (I’m the fittest man in the world, statistically Luton were the best team in Europe etc). I just lump all of that into one incoherent embarrassing mess.

5. Biggest Player Disappointment. Orsic probably, came with great fanfare but has hardly got himself a look in. Tall Paul as well, we’ve been crying out for a leading striker for so long and we got…..that.

6. Who is responsible for this shit show. Semmens and Ankersen.

• Like 1

1. Worst Player of the Season - Moi

2. Worst Manager. - Jones

3. Worst Team Performance of the Season - Too much to choose and i expect a worldie to occur v arsenal

4. Most Embarrassing Moment - recalling bednerak

5. Biggest Player Disappointment - Adams I had high hopes for some goals this season but his main goal has been to lie on the physio table when he's not playing for scotland.

6. Who is responsible for this shit show - Ankersen

Edited by Convict Colony

1. Worst Player of the Season. - Lyanco

3. Worst Team Performance of the Season. - Forest or Grimsby

4. Most Embarrassing Moment. Losing to Grimsby

5. Biggest Player Disappointment. - Orsic

6. Who is responsible for this shit show. - Whoever is responsible for recruitment.

19 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

1. Worst Player of the Season - Moi

3. Worst Team Performance of the Season - Too much to choose and i expect a worldie to occur v arsenal

4. Most Embarrassing Moment - recalling bednerak

5. Biggest Player Disappointment - Adams I had high hopes for some goals this season but his main goal has been to lie on the physio table when he's not playing for scotland.

6. Who is responsible for this shit show - Ankersen

Truly embarrassing! There was some hope it was recalled to sell or loan to someone else, but recalled to be a (calamitous) starter is woeful. Haven't seen the last few matches but he isn't the answer. Surely Grimsby is up there!

1. Worst Player of the Season - Adam Armstrong?

2. Worst Manager - Jones

3. Worst Team Performance of the Season - Grimsby

4. Most Embarrassing Moment - recalling bednerak / Nathan Jones' press conferences

5. Biggest Player Disappointment - Orsic (who?!) or Aribo

6. Who is responsible for this shit show - Ankersen / Mr 'be grateful to be here' Semmens 

1. Moi.

2. Jones, though Selles could top this soon.

3. Forest.

4. Any of Jones’ rants.

5. Orsic. I’ve actually no idea how good or bad he is.

6. Our recruitment team for the past 6-7 years. They get an easy ride. Honourable mentions for Jones, Selles, the players and aside from the actual financial backing, Ankersen and Semmens. A real team effort.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Truly embarrassing! There was some hope it was recalled to sell or loan to someone else, but recalled to be a (calamitous) starter is woeful. Haven't seen the last few matches but he isn't the answer. Surely Grimsby is up there!

1. Worst Player of the Season - Adam Armstrong?

2. Worst Manager - Jones

3. Worst Team Performance of the Season - Grimsby

4. Most Embarrassing Moment - recalling bednerak / Nathan Jones' press conferences

5. Biggest Player Disappointment - Orsic (who?!) or Aribo

6. Who is responsible for this shit show - Ankersen / Mr 'be grateful to be here' Semmens 

He's hardly played

4 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

2. Worst Manager.

1. Always mean to pick on players who simply shouldn’t be at a Premier League club but Moi is the one who offers so little. But it’s not his fault he gets picked. 

2. in the modern tradition of being indecisive, all 3 in their own way. 

3. Forest. Sat there laughing at the way it all went. But there’s been plenty of competition in this tough to call category. 

4. Statistically the most aggressive front footed manager in Europe v we should be grateful to be in this league v amazing light show when the team was dreadful. Hmmm. 

5. Toughest category of all but Joe Aribo wins for me. 

6. Martin Semmens. Instrumental in allowing Ankerson in so he kept his job. And even if you deny that, he’s instrumental in the culture of the club telling us we should be grateful to be in the league and also creating the type of culture where an on-pitch experience for kids at the end of the season gets cancelled without explanation to the kids, and where home sections get treated badly and away fans can do what they want. Has to go, and the pathetic board and other directors should go with him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

He's hardly played

Appeared in all bar 2 of our first 25 odd games, starting 10 of the first 12 or 13 matches. The past 3 matches are the only time all season hasnt been in the match day squad, so think it's pretty fair to say he's been given a good few tries!!

• Like 1

1. Worst Player of the Season.  - Rather than someone like Moi, who has played a lot, I want to say all the players that couldn't get in this side. How shit must they be...Amstrong, Lyanco et al.

2. Worst Manager. Jones, but not by much. 

3. Worst Team Performance of the Season. - Forest was a complete shit show. Not seen anything like that at SMS before. But Villa away was horrific too. And Leeds away. Brentford away was pretty bad...

4. Most Embarrassing Moment. - Losing to Grimsby and then Adam's missed chance.

5. Biggest Player Disappointment. - So many to choose from. Aribo, closely followed by DCC perhaps. I had hoped both would be better. Bazunu and Osic not far behind. KWP has been pretty disappointing compared to his very high standards. Salisu is another that hasn't been terribly impressive. Only Lavia comes out of this season with any kudos (still time for Alcaraz and Sulemana to join him), although JWP was flying at one point.

6. Who is responsible for this shit show. - the players and whoever employed them. The scouts and whoever employed the scouts. The managers and whoever employed the managers.

7 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

2. Worst Manager.

1) Aribo. Our main attacking signing in the summer and one I was looking forward to. Shite. I’d go Bazunu but it’s not his fault he’s been repeatedly shite yet keeps being picked. 

2) Jones. Worst manager we’ve ever had. Sacking Ralph was right (even though it should have happened in the summer), picking Jones as his replacement was shite.

3) Too many to chose, but to out-shite a shite Forest live on TV was impressively shite.

4) The season as a whole. Shite.

5) Aribo. Genuinely was expecting good things. Shite.

6) Everyone. Bunch of shites.

Overall, shite.

• Like 4

1) worst player? How about worst team,

Bazunu

AMN - DCC - Bednarek - Lyanco

Aribo -Diallo - Moi

Arma - Onuacho - Orisic

2) Jones

3) Grimsby

4) The Jones era, tactics, press conferences, training videos, the list goes on.

5) Aribo and DCC, really thought they would make an impact.

6) Semmens, Ankerson and Dragan for letting them continue to fuck things up.

• Like 1

1. Worst Player of the Season - Bazunu

2. Worst Manager - Selles

3. Worst Team Performance of the Season - Forest at home

4. Most Embarrassing Moment - Forest at home

5. Biggest Player Disappointment - Aribo

6. Who is responsible for this shit show - WANKERSON

On 17/04/2023 at 08:42, Mr Nimbus said:

1. Worst Player of the Season.  Moi is the easy answer, but for me its Bazunu. Not his fault, he's out of his depth at such a young age but I cannot believe we addressed such an important area with a GK who was playing L1 last season. Honourable mention  for Adam Armstrong. 

2. Worst Manager. Tough, very tough. I'm going to land on Jones because of the sheer delusion but every criticism about the on pitch stuff could be aimed at Selles too. He just wears a polo neck. 

3. Worst Team Performance of the Season. So many to choose. Forest at home was the real penny drop moment for me about this lot. However I am going to go with Brentford at home. Not an obvious choice in a season full of lows but with an opportunity to get out the bottom three, to turn that performance in was pathetic.

4. Most Embarrassing Moment. The utter shower of scurrying around for a CF on deadline day. That shows the decision makers for what they really are.

5. Biggest Player Disappointment. Not his fault as he has been played out of position most of the season, but KWP. At his peak he is an international quality FB. We saw glimpses against United away when he was played in his best position.

6. Who is responsible for this shit show. Martin Semmens and Rasmus Ankerson.

Jones is miles worse than Selles. Selles is rubbish as well but he isn't Jones.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think my favourite stat is that of all the managers to come to St Mary’s this season, only three have left without any points; Rogers, Tuchel and Jones.

My other favourite being that this could well be the season we have more prime ministers than home wins.

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

I think my favourite stat is that of all the managers to come to St Mary’s this season, only three have left without any points; Rogers, Tuchel and Jones.

My other favourite being that this could well be the season we have more prime ministers than home wins.

We've already had more managers than home wins.

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

And ridiculously, if by some miracle we won the next three games we would probably be out of the relegation zone! We actually deserve to be like Norwich this year and have been cut adrift a month or two ago.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Dunno about miles worse. To me they're both individuals who shouldn't be managers in the PL. One just wears a snazy outfit, whilst the other looked like a mush who had won a raffle.

19 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

1. Worst Player of the Season - Bazunu

2. Worst Manager - Selles

3. Worst Team Performance of the Season - Forest at home

4. Most Embarrassing Moment - Forest at home

5. Biggest Player Disappointment - Aribo

6. Who is responsible for this shit show - WANKERSON

Swap Jones for Selles and you've got my answers

I'd also include Semmens in the responsibility answer. His previous comments about league postion and the womens team being the priority are coming home to roost. I hope someone at the next fans forum quotes him and asks him his view now. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

Dunno about miles worse. To me they're both individuals who shouldn't be managers in the PL. One just wears a snazy outfit, whilst the other looked like a mush who had won a raffle.

Selles isn't up to the task whereas most of the performances under Selles were some of the worst I've ever seen from us. There's a big difference even if Selles is also rubbish.

3 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

There’s not much in it for me either. On the one hand Selles got dumped out of the cup at home to Grimsby, whilst Jones scraped past Lincoln. On the other hand Selles slogged out a 0-0 playing against 10 men for an hour, whilst Jones bottled it against Wolves.

It’s like comparing paper cuts to inflamed haemorrhoids. 

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Swap Jones for Selles and you've got my answers

I'd also include Semmens in the responsibility answer. His previous comments about league postion and the womens team being the priority are coming home to roost. I hope someone at the next fans forum quotes him and asks him his view now. 

His worst comment was whenever he said we were lucky to be in the league. That was the moment I considered him not up to the job. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

And ridiculously, if by some miracle we won the next three games we would probably be out of the relegation zone! We actually deserve to be like Norwich this year and have been cut adrift a month or two ago.

aren't we cut adrift already? It feels like it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Somewhat unbelievably we are 4 points off 17th. I checked this morning.

Maybe anything over a win counts as adrift? 

Four points sounds a lot to me with this side, especially as it relies on the others getting no points for the gap to close (all be it Leicester, Leeds and Forest aint winning points either).

On 17/04/2023 at 08:19, Saint Billy said:

2. Worst Manager.

7. Worse thread on saintsweb this season

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Maybe anything over a win counts as adrift? 

Four points sounds a lot to me with this side, especially as it relies on the others getting no points for the gap to close (all be it Leicester, Leeds and Forest aint winning points either).

This plus we have played one more game than the others so in effect need to win 3 more games than at least three other relegation candidates. So far fetched it is laughable that anybody still thinks we can stay up.

The very definition of pie in the sky impossibility

Gavin Bazunu

2. Worst Manager.

Nathan Jones

Take your pick. That Forest game and when we had the uphill task against 10-man Wolves stand out though.  And the Grimsby debacle.

Hard to choose between the various Nathan Jones rants and the Grimsby game.

Orsic.

Almost everyone at the club.  Except perhaps the kit and ground staff because the kits and pitch always look lovely.  

Edited by gonzo