How much does it hurt?

sydney_saint

Like others, this doesn't compare to 2005. That hurt. Big time. This time the incompetence of the board, management and players has just introduced a feeling of total indifference.  And that feeds into my wider feelings towards top flight football in general and the need to Americanise the game as an 'entertainment' spectacle, the botched implementation of VAR, ludicrous TV coverage and idiotic commentators, i could go on.

• Like 2

This was so unavoidable. The managers are responsible because none of them picked the best balanced team, prioritised the nothingness of the likes of Elyounoussi, Armstrong and Adams etc, failed to appreciate the importance of an iron disciplined organisation and allowed the players to play off the cuff, with painfully slow possession for the sake of it. We had 64% possession last night and conceded four goals, we had it coming.

• Like 2

In 2005, we were a football club. I was gutted we went down. 

Today, we are a low-end asset management company that is also a social media content creator. The board treats ‘customers’ like idiots and apart from the foundation, it is disconnected from the community it traditionally represents. From Kat’s sale to Gao to take us to the next level, to Sports Republic’s disastrous first full season, we have been run horrifically. Heads must roll. 

When and if we go back to being a football club, it might become more meaningful. 

• Like 6

Doesn't hurt because it's been so long coming, but I really do feel dread that this is our level now. You either need mega money, or to be exceptionally well run to be a Premier League team in 2023, and we aren't either. Our rebuild is at least a 2 or 3 year process - by which time parachute payments will be waning, and there'll be another 6-9 teams who've dropped from the PL to compete with. Suspect our future is more like a Birmingham or Huddersfield than a Burnley or Fulham.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Chaps, it's only football, life goes on. Get a grip.

Football is a significant part of our collective lives, hence we engage with this forum. Football takes a lot of emotional and financial investment. Whilst it has a not life or death, it still is important to those invested, naturally people are reacting.

I’m not sure who has lost their grip?

• Like 6

Doesn’t hurt as much as it did in 2005 because back then I could feel the fight and the want to avoid this

We havn’t looked a team up to the task since arguably October and it’s steadily declined. Poor management across the club (top to bottom) and players that effectively to a man don’t seem to have any desire to dig any deeper than to cover their own averages

It’ll hurt, it always will because this is the club I was (unfortunately) born to love and to follow, but it doesn’t sting as much as it should because Ive never felt so disconnected from it

Doesn't hurt as much as last time 

Have become disillusioned with the premier league anyway. It's just a showcase for super rich foreigners (and even foreign governments) to display their latest set of ludicrously overpaid mercenaries with no loyalty to a club or city/area.

As long as we don't go bust again, I'm actually quite looking forward to the championship. And as others have said I hope we will see some home grown youngsters coming through. 

Definitely worse in 05, we had our top flight record to defend and I was obsolutely gutted when we went down. I was doing excel spreadsheets of the relegation run in, glue to Saints Web or whatever it was called.

But this time I'm ok with it. For me a disconnection with the club has happened over the last few years, whether that is because of the club or because of the prem, I dont know. I liked Ralph and he kept me believing, despite the evidence of a declining club and SR hasn't been the new start I hoped it would be.

But a big part for me is because it wasn't too bad last time we went down, we had some great years coming back up. I've also been following Plymouths results this season and I've got more enjoyment doing that then I have from the Saints, I want a bit of that promotion thing, going on long unbeaten runs, going to new places.

I can't wait to get this season over and done with and getting stuck into next season.

• Like 2

2005 hurt because it was the first relegation I experienced (was only about 4 for the one before) and I think had always felt like so many times before that we would get out of it.  Other than the final game that season I thought we showed some fight.  

This time just want the season over and a bit meh.  In 05 we clearly deserved to go down given where we finished but it didn’t feel we were quite as abject as this year.  
Also we have been crap bar a couple of runs of games for so long it is like watching a slow train crash.   Only reason we were not formally down weeks ago is the utter crap of teams at the bottom yet somehow we have been even worse.  

If I'm honest, I've expected it more since Semmens said we he truly thought at the fans forum about us being lucky to be here. If that's the mindset coming from the top then it's really only a matter of time before you go down. I think that the club has changed a lot over the last few years and not necessarily in a good way. I think this relegation could be a good thing if it forces them to actually care a bit more about fans and connect with them properly (including the players.) If it wasn't for the chance to win a cup, I wouldn't really care about the prem so much. 

• Like 4

I’ve accepted for a while, but most annoyingly bar the last couple of weeks we’ve never lost touch and could have got out of the mess. What frustrates me, like others is the disaster of the last 2 appointments. I strongly believe that any manager that believed in playing an attacking line up could have got us out the mess. Anyway I’m intrigued in what the clubs message/apology will be to fans and how we rebuild over the summer. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sydney_saint said:

When we went down in 05, I had this gut wrenching pain for a long time. Both in the relegation battle, and also in the month or so that followed. I couldn't function at all for a day or two after that last game of the season, it felt like the world collapsed. 

This season I have got angry and frustrated at times, but within a few hours I have largely shrugged it off. A few exceptions here and there where I have been seriously pissed off for a few days, but largely ambivalent between match days. I don't know whether it's because I am older, whether I don't love football like I used to because of all the money and corruption, or whether it's because we've been here before.

I dunno, I'm really not that fussed about going down. But I don't know if that is something shared by everyone else, or whether I have fallen out of love with the game?

I'm also curious how are the younger fans feeling? When we went down last time, I and many fans had never experienced relegation. There will be some younger fans who will have some memories of us in the lower leagues, but most of their memories will be in the Prem. Do you have that gut wrenching pain like many of us had last time?

I feel exactly the same word for word. I just don’t know why. Think it’s because I’m older and maybe calmer. 

i actually looking forward to next season ! 

2005 was awful, we fought mostly until the final game, and you just felt that after the great escapes of the 90s we could pull it out of the bag again, especially going 1-0 against United but it wasn’t to be.

This season though I’ve felt the appointment of Jones left us in serious trouble, and the Wolves game confirmed relegation for me so I’ve made my peace with it. It needs to happen now, we’ve been circling the drain for a few years bar a few purple patches and it feels like we need a reset. Do I trust the people that put us in this position to get us out of it though? I’m not so sure.

My biggest issue with relegation is the sadness that we’ve got nothing physically to show for our ten years in the top flight. No silverware, no stadium expansion, sure us as fans have memories of the Koeman era, and the Europe trips, but they’re just memories now. 

7 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

My biggest issue with relegation is the sadness that we’ve got nothing physically to show for our ten years in the top flight. No silverware, no stadium expansion, sure us as fans have memories of the Koeman era, and the Europe trips, but they’re just memories now. 

The memories of the cup final and Milan will remain forever, but not winning a cup is very regrettable. It's almost impossible to win a cup when you are a lower league team, so you must take advantage of the better quality players you  have when in the Prem. We got close, I suppose, but sadly when we had really good sides that were really playing well, we fucked it (in the cups).

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

If I'm honest, I've expected it more since Semmens said we he truly thought at the fans forum about us being lucky to be here. If that's the mindset coming from the top then it's really only a matter of time before you go down. I think that the club has changed a lot over the last few years and not necessarily in a good way. I think this relegation could be a good thing if it forces them to actually care a bit more about fans and connect with them properly (including the players.) If it wasn't for the chance to win a cup, I wouldn't really care about the prem so much. 

The Cup thing is probably the only thing I feel really annoyed about. There were some seasons, such as the Poch season, where we had a great team and the chance to win silverware. Yet we priortised finishing 8th. What alot of the clubs out there don't realise is that relegation will come for nearly everyone eventually. You can talk about black boxes and special recruitment, but you only need a couple of bad seasons and the rot sets in. I will be very surprised if Brighton don't go down at some point in the next ten years, so it is critical they try and win something. Leicester could well go down this season, but at least they are going down with a couple of trophies.

We had some of our best chances of the last 30 years. If we had genuinely tried each season to win the cups and fell short, so be it. But I feel we threw some away. For what? So we finished a few places higher, but ended up getting relegated anyway. 

12 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

2005 was awful, we fought mostly until the final game, and you just felt that after the great escapes of the 90s we could pull it out of the bag again, especially going 1-0 against United but it wasn’t to be.

This season though I’ve felt the appointment of Jones left us in serious trouble, and the Wolves game confirmed relegation for me so I’ve made my peace with it. It needs to happen now, we’ve been circling the drain for a few years bar a few purple patches and it feels like we need a reset. Do I trust the people that put us in this position to get us out of it though? I’m not so sure.

This sums up how I am feeling right now. For a while we were a club on the up and one that made you think almost anything was possible. But for our purple patch after the COVID restart that period of optimism is long gone.

For me, and I know others will disagree, the decline started when Koeman walked out. We had a golden opportunity to kick on from a 6th placed finish and we blew it. We appointed the wrong manager, signed the wrong players etc. The attempt to "get us back on track" by appointing Pellegrino was a disaster and, bar a few OK periods with Ralph, we've been pretty abject for a while. Hard to say this hasn't been coming really - the squad is shattered mentally.

Quite looking forward to the Championship, provided that it comes with the clear out we so desperately need. Not massively confident in SR's decision making given how poor its been this season though.

• Like 1

Just now, James said:

This sums up how I am feeling right now. For a while we were a club on the up and one that made you think almost anything was possible. But for our purple patch after the COVID restart that period of optimism is long gone.

For me, and I know others will disagree, the decline started when Koeman walked out. We had a golden opportunity to kick on from a 6th placed finish and we blew it. We appointed the wrong manager, signed the wrong players etc. The attempt to "get us back on track" by appointing Pellegrino was a disaster and, bar a few OK periods with Ralph, we've been pretty abject for a while. Hard to say this hasn't been coming really - the squad is shattered mentally.

Quite looking forward to the Championship, provided that it comes with the clear out we so desperately need. Not massively confident in SR's decision making given how poor its been this season though.

I think had we had Ralph when Koeman left, our subsequent trajectory would have been a lot different 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

Doesn’t register at all. 

Got to say, it doesn't hurt that much at all either. I put a fork in us after the Forest home game...so it's been a long time coming for me.

I went to every game home and away in 2005, so had invested a lot emotionally. It hurt like hell to see us fall short after those nightmares against Boro etc when we chucked leads away. I am a lot less invested these days, going to far less games (although watching all of them). When I go to games, I am right back into it and kick every ball, so to speak, but in general I've fallen out of love with the game and refuse to be the football mug I was happy to admin being. 

I'm looking at the Championship table now and there is one ground I've not been to, Rotherham, so looking forward to that trip, assuming I can get a ticket.

• Like 1

One more thing. I am kind of looking forward to being back in the Football League. When we went up to the Prem, I completely switched off any interest I had (and awareness) in the three leagues. I just scanned the league tables and noticed that Barrow are in League 2. I honestly did not have a clue about that. Having to watch EFL highlights will help me reconnect with what's going on in the lower leagues. 

Doesn't hurt, didn't last time really to be honest, i think you get more context and perspective as you get older. The Championship and League 1 were great last time around, its good to meet other fans and to go to new stadiums. I suspect we won't bounce back immediately and we'll end up with a younger and more hungry squad than we have at present. Who will be the fan favourite like Ricky Lambert. Exciting times ahead.

1974 relegation. I cried. I didn't know any better. Turned out it wasn't such a big deal.

2005 relegation. Felt numb at the final whistle. How could it go so wrong just 2 years after a cup final? Was over it by the time I left the pub.

2009 relegation. Horrible. The worst. Not so much the relegation itself but due to the financial state of the club at the time the feeling was we might never be back again.

2023 relegation. Total indiference verging towards grateful. . Actually looking forward to starting a season again thinking we will be in with a chance of winning something. It almost feels like a potential re-birth.

• Like 1

So different from last time. A combination of older and wiser but also a disconnect to the PL franchise as that is what it feels like now. 

Hypo raised a good point about the mindset of Semmens at the fans forum and that is why I’m fearful of next season. It will not be a promotion challenge if lessons haven’t been learned at board level regarding club strategy, mindset and player management. 

Also, Hopefully there are B team players that have earned a call up to the first team rather than seeking pastures new. About the ‘pathway’ was open. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

1974 relegation. I cried. I didn't know any better. Turned out it wasn't such a big deal.

2005 relegation. Felt numb at the final whistle. How could it go so wrong just 2 years after a cup final? Was over it by the time I left the pub.

2009 relegation. Horrible. The worst. Not so much the relegation itself but due to the financial state of the club at the time the feeling was we might never be back again.

2023 relegation. Total indiference verging towards grateful. . Actually looking forward to starting a season again thinking we will be in with a chance of winning something. It almost feels like a potential re-birth.

Interesting that I don't now think of the 2009 relegation, I think of it as an extension of the 05 relegation. Maybe that's a prem bias way of looking at things.

But that season was all about who was running the club and administration, the football was a side issue.

I never worried about administration, we were too big to go under for ever.

Yeah. Funny how most people on this thread don’t register the 2009 relegation for some reason.  My fear is history repeating itself. The board hasn’t given us any reassurance we will be in a healthy position. Ankersen’s words at the fans’ forum worried me.  It only takes the owner pulling the plug to leave us really in the proverbial.

1 minute ago, Fan The Flames said:

Interesting that I don't now think of the 2009 relegation, I think of it as an extension of the 05 relegation. Maybe that's a prem bias way of looking at things.

But that season was all about who was running the club and administration, the football was a side issue.

I never worried about administration, we were too big to go under for ever.

For me 2009 was rather like now, just fed up of atrocious mismanagement from the boardroom downwards. The first season was a mess, with a disinterested Redknapp at the helm. The first Burley season we just scraped into the playoff and were bettered by Derby, which felt like a huge underachievement after what we spent. 07/08 was just ridiculous, letting Burley trash us financially with his borderline fettish of expensive midfielders and no defence. Then the Poortvliet season was just an acceptance of, 'so we've come to this...' The writing was on the wall from day one that year. Jamie White, Michael Svensson, Tomasz Pekhart, Zoltan Liptak.... hmmmmm.

• Like 2

Just now, Maggie May said:

Yeah. Funny how most people on this thread don’t register the 2009 relegation for some reason.  My fear is history repeating itself. The board hasn’t given us any reassurance we will be in a healthy position. Ankersen’s words at the fans’ forum worried me.  It only takes the owner pulling the plug to leave us really in the proverbial.

1. The fact the club nearly went out of business somewhat dwarfed the relegation for many i think 😄.
  2. Barring a miracle this summer, this turd of a squad is not going to bounce upon landing in the championship - so in that regard, yes, history could repeat itself.
  3. The board have give assurances on the financial front? I think the way the squad is structured towards younger players on cheaper long term contracts should mitigate a lot of threat, as will relegation clauses.
  4. Agree, if SR walk away then we're in trouble short term.... but... We own the ground, we have a top quality training ground, and the academy is in very good health. We'd get snapped up by some other owner looking to get us on the cheap and push us up the leagues. 
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saint86 said:
  1. The fact the club nearly went out of business somewhat dwarfed the relegation for many i think 😄.
  2. Barring a miracle this summer, this turd of a squad is not going to bounce upon landing in the championship - so in that regard, yes, history could repeat itself.
  3. The board have give assurances on the financial front? I think the way the squad is structured towards younger players on cheaper long term contracts should mitigate a lot of threat, as will relegation clauses.
  4. Agree, if SR walk away then we're in trouble short term.... but... We own the ground, we have a top quality training ground, and the academy is in very good health. We'd get snapped up by some other owner looking to get us on the cheap and push us up the leagues. 

SR won't walk, they worst case scenario is that they want to sell, stop investment until sold, but want too much for us and we enter limbo land. Assets are sold to cover costs and we slowly decline with an increasingly disenchanted and angry fan base.

2005 I was so upset that when my old boss took the piss I told him to “f*** off and die of cancer” (he fleeced the government for 338m of dodgy PPE in COVID I kinda wish he had tho horrible words I obviously agree).

This time I’m almost looking forward to “proper football” to be honest and not the big 6 wankathon that the Premier League has become.

29 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It only hurts when you have hope. I'm angry with the management of the club especially in regards to recruitment but I accepted our relegation long ago. I predicted we'd be relegated in September.

Very true but it has been coming for sometime I just do not think we have signed enough PL and developed acadamy players over the last three or four years.

It maybe a longtime for us to return to the PL and stay there for any length of time I feel the Markus legacy has been really fucked

• Like 1

It's a strange one. 2005, I was distraught after the Manchester United final day loss, but I was also ignorant of the Championship and thought we'd walk the league and come straight back up.

Now, the relegation is obviously damaging and after attending recent matches in the last month or so I've felt gutted, but I've accepted relegation and don't feel as much negativity towards it as I did in 2005, while also knowing how unforgiving the Championship is and how easy it is to soon become a mid-table Championship team.

The last few years, especially at home have been a chore for us all and it's almost nice to think that this part of the club's history is almost coming to an end and we're nearing a much needed reboot. How long it takes us to recover though, who knows.

• Like 1

2005 hurt more because we'd been on a period of ascendancy since Hoddle of sorts (including the FA Cup Final in '03), but also we'd survived so many relegation scares with great escapes that when it did finally happen it really hurt. As the only Saints fan my colleagues and friends know I was also subjected to a lot of ridicule and teasing. 

This year barely one person has mentioned us or the impending relegation. We've been a sinking ship for years since Pellegrino and onwards getting spanked 9-0 twice that I think people are more taking pity on me being a Saints fan than being ridiculed like last time.

It's hard to say exactly what I'll miss about the Premier League this time. It's not like we've even brought in top players since the Koeman days. Money, I guess, but I assume we will still have that with player sales.

I've seen this coming all season - back in the summer I thought it was a mistake to keep Ralph when we could have made a fresh start. We signed youth without experience, we signed Aribo as our ONLY attacking experience (which I was excited about at the time), and there were clearly 3 teams that got promoted that strengthened well in the summer so there weren't 3 clear teams that could finish below us. That and whole season of shite decisions means I'm largely numb to it all now. Maybe it IS an age thing.#

I look forward to the Championship - I do think the squad, shite as it is in the Premier League, may have enough about it once it has been trimmed and added to at least be competitive. We should be fighting towards the top rather than the bottom BUT we do need to bring in a manager that can organise the shit out of us.

6 hours ago, do i not like fizzy pop said:

Like others, this doesn't compare to 2005. That hurt. Big time. This time the incompetence of the board, management and players has just introduced a feeling of total indifference.  And that feeds into my wider feelings towards top flight football in general and the need to Americanise the game as an 'entertainment' spectacle, the botched implementation of VAR, ludicrous TV coverage and idiotic commentators, i could go on.

It is very similar to 2005 no investment sacking managers no top quality players

I'm numb to it tbh  , I have a nearly 3 year old who has luckily enough taken up the time and money I may have wasted on Saints . Unfortunately my nearly 17 year old is hooked now due to me and even though he's in the army now he's been getting to as many games home and away as he can this season and his enthusiasm hasn't wavered yet. Saying that I am quite looking forward to a bit of a clear out/reset that we wouldn't have been able to do in the Premier league (that we have needed for a few years) and am more likely to renew my ST next season that I would have been had we stayed up .

Too old to feel real pain about it. And we’ve all had several months to acclimatise to the inevitable. 

When they sacked Ralph, they should’ve appointed an Allar-Dyche. We just might have survived.

The Premier League is a deeply unattractive business nowadays. From Nation-State clubs, and the sickening circus of the Big Six, to the puerile but self-important army of Sky pundits. I absolutely loved League one and the championship last time round.

Edited by adrian lord

5 hours ago, Wurzel said:

fuck me i was 14 in '74 like you cried passionate thought it was the end. 2005 bugger,2009  admin,hopefully Everton get looked into for financial wrong doings ,but most likely not. And so for this year,been on the cards for a while if truth be told,but after the take over i thought like alot ,that we were moving forward all be it slowly but wow ,just look at the mess we find the club in now! Totally miss managed  with no clear and obvious solution.

Do you know what, against Forest the other day, I still hoped, silly me. Hurt, yes. Here in Oz, I get to see every game, that is now at an end. But I look forward to next season now, but we must have a total break up of this bunch of losers, they have been woeful, as have Sports Republic. We will win games next season, something badly missing at the moment, like others have said, I will not miss the PL, that is a closed shop for 6 teams, the rest are cannon fodder.

Roll on the Championship.