Russell Martin

LegalEagle

Wow, one Russell is predicting a better nights sleep for our Russell tonight

Forecast for Today | Capricorn | Daily Horoscopes by Russell Grant - Express.co.uk | Express.co.uk

guess this means the issues of our wide open defence have been resolved. A win is guarenteed, Russell M will sleep more soundly tonight. The next presser will be a man full of confidence. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Drawing the press means having a back five who are all comfortable enough on the ball that they can evade the opposition as well as a midfield nimble enough to join in and create additional avenues of escape.

When, honestly, was the last time we had that kind of technical quality in our backline? Puel, pre-VVD departure?

If you watch the way that Brighton et al manage this, it's not necessarily about the player with the ball being able to "evade" an oncoming press. But more about another team member always being available to receive the out-ball, which more often than not is a reasonably short pass. In the clip of Brighton someone shared earlier, it's pretty rare that any player actually has to skip past an opponent whilst carrying the ball. 

We did this really poorly against Leicester; the whole back line and the midfield were equally guilty imo.

I think it's a little unfair to suggest our back line are so devoid of technical quality. We've just bought THB, someone whose just been groomed in the Pep school of passing so obviously shouldn't be complete toilet at what we're asking him to do. Similarly, Janny B/Jack Stephens who, despite everyone's historical slagging off, aren't the worst players on the ball ever. Yes, they're not the best, but are more than capable of making the short passes required as was evidenced by the passing stats that came out earlier on in the season.
KWP is more than capable of receiving a ball and skipping past his man when required.
Manning is the biggest question mark for me as I've not seen enough of him yet.

My biggest concerns from the weekend are the first two chances in the youtube highlights.

1. For the first goal, Baz passes it to Charles, who already has no-one to distribute it to. Charles is too wide to be able to go back across the box to THB, KWP is in-field for no reason, and Smallbone is marked out of the game already slightly further up the wing. For me, the setup there is totally wrong from the start; we were already screwed after the first pass

2. For the next big chance/cock-up at the back. Charles is way off in the RB position (why?!), and eventually running back to provide an out-ball; was he out of position? if so, why did we start playing already?! Eventually though, it's the wrong pass that's chosen. Baz was free to receive, and a safer ball to Charles was still available. The distance to KWP in the centre, with two Leicester players was just stupid and caused by putting ourselves in that situation unnecessarily.

3. Loads have already mentioned it, but the over-commitment at our corners is just mad. For a team that's not exactly blessed with pace, this is going to bite us in the ass a lot if we carry on.

In any event, it's up to RM to figure out what's not working and he needs to do it quickly. Another 4/5 goal drubbing and he'll have completely lost the fanbase I reckon.

• Like 3

Just coming back to what has been mentioned often on here that the players need time to understand this new system.

When Poch took over from Adkins he arrived on the Wednesday or Thursday I believe and we played Everton on the Monday. That game we already saw changes to the way we played. The next game was away at United, we lost 2-1 but outplayed United in the second half. 

Some of the players starting that game were Yoshida, Hooiveld, Fox, Cork and Ramirez. Decent players but certainly no top PL players. The year after that when Poch left Koeman took over with Lallana, Lambert, Shaw, Chambers and Lovren leaving, almost half of the starting lineup. 

Good managers don’t need much time to implement their playing philosophy. Martin has had a full pre season, lots of players with PL experience and we spent more than most Championship teams last summer. 

Do hope Martin fixes the defensive problems and is a succes here. Would be a huge worry if we get to the point we have to sack him and SR have to appoint another manager in a short time.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Swansea - two seasons, goals against 64 and 68.

So you can be pretty sure that Martin and his team do not know how to play this system and not concede goals.

Wilcox not coaching the team so irrelevant.

We conceded 73 last year, so a real chance to improve exponentially under Russ!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Net spend champions again

most ever goals conceded by a relegated team

its on course to be another fantastic season of soccerball 

It's all about the entertainment!

Imagine the xG for St Mary's for the season the way we are progressing.  Will be through the roof which means it won't just be the light show that is the spectacle of the 'arena'.  They'll be flocking from far and wide to see goals, goals, goals.

Edited by Weston Super Saint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It's all about the entertainment!

Imagine the xG for St Mary's for the season they way we are progressing.  Will be through the roof which means it won't just be the light show that is the spectacle of the 'arena'.  They'll be flocking from far and wide to see goals, goals, goals.

Russell Crowe Gladiator GIF

Wilcox walking out onto the pitch be like...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Just coming back to what has been mentioned often on here that the players need time to understand this new system.

When Poch took over from Adkins he arrived on the Wednesday or Thursday I believe and we played Everton on the Monday. That game we already saw changes to the way we played. The next game was away at United, we lost 2-1 but outplayed United in the second half. 

Some of the players starting that game were Yoshida, Hooiveld, Fox, Cork and Ramirez. Decent players but certainly no top PL players. The year after that when Poch left Koeman took over with Lallana, Lambert, Shaw, Chambers and Lovren leaving, almost half of the starting lineup. 

Good managers don’t need much time to implement their playing philosophy. Martin has had a full pre season, lots of players with PL experience and we spent more than most Championship teams last summer. 

Do hope Martin fixes the defensive problems and is a succes here. Would be a huge worry if we get to the point we have to sack him and SR have to appoint another manager in a short time.

To slightly defend him here, when Poch took over we were already playing half decent football under Adkins, it was less of a leap.  RM has taken over a side that's been playing pretty dreadful (and unsuccessful) football for several years - it'll take long.

Not that I think it's going well by any means.

Hi, I've written about Martin's philosophy and used examples from the Leicester game to ask if the juice is worth the squeeze when it comes to his tactics? With the squad we have, would we be better off playing a more simplistic way? Would love to know what you think!

https://analyticsunited.co.uk/2023/09/19/russell-martin-is-the-juice-worth-the-squeeze/

• Like 3

4 hours ago, gecko said:

If you watch the way that Brighton et al manage this, it's not necessarily about the player with the ball being able to "evade" an oncoming press. But more about another team member always being available to receive the out-ball, which more often than not is a reasonably short pass. In the clip of Brighton someone shared earlier, it's pretty rare that any player actually has to skip past an opponent whilst carrying the ball. 

We did this really poorly against Leicester; the whole back line and the midfield were equally guilty imo.

I think it's a little unfair to suggest our back line are so devoid of technical quality. We've just bought THB, someone whose just been groomed in the Pep school of passing so obviously shouldn't be complete toilet at what we're asking him to do. Similarly, Janny B/Jack Stephens who, despite everyone's historical slagging off, aren't the worst players on the ball ever. Yes, they're not the best, but are more than capable of making the short passes required as was evidenced by the passing stats that came out earlier on in the season.
KWP is more than capable of receiving a ball and skipping past his man when required.
Manning is the biggest question mark for me as I've not seen enough of him yet.

My biggest concerns from the weekend are the first two chances in the youtube highlights.

1. For the first goal, Baz passes it to Charles, who already has no-one to distribute it to. Charles is too wide to be able to go back across the box to THB, KWP is in-field for no reason, and Smallbone is marked out of the game already slightly further up the wing. For me, the setup there is totally wrong from the start; we were already screwed after the first pass

2. For the next big chance/cock-up at the back. Charles is way off in the RB position (why?!), and eventually running back to provide an out-ball; was he out of position? if so, why did we start playing already?! Eventually though, it's the wrong pass that's chosen. Baz was free to receive, and a safer ball to Charles was still available. The distance to KWP in the centre, with two Leicester players was just stupid and caused by putting ourselves in that situation unnecessarily.

3. Loads have already mentioned it, but the over-commitment at our corners is just mad. For a team that's not exactly blessed with pace, this is going to bite us in the ass a lot if we carry on.

In any event, it's up to RM to figure out what's not working and he needs to do it quickly. Another 4/5 goal drubbing and he'll have completely lost the fanbase I reckon.

Yeah, by evade I didn't necessarily mean actually take on and beat (though in that Brighton example, their left back does skip around his man with ease). It's as much about having the mobility, speed of thought and passing accuracy to anticipate where the opening will be and put the ball there, rather than standing still and becoming an obvious target for the press. THB might well be capable of it, and I suppose Stephens is a reasonable passer of the ball. But I have no belief in Bednarek's ability to be part of a back line that moves the ball progressively, swiftly and with accuracy. He has to wind up a big swing just to play a 5 yard pass.

1 hour ago, Fraser Spinney said:

Hi, I've written about Martin's philosophy and used examples from the Leicester game to ask if the juice is worth the squeeze when it comes to his tactics? With the squad we have, would we be better off playing a more simplistic way? Would love to know what you think!

https://analyticsunited.co.uk/2023/09/19/russell-martin-is-the-juice-worth-the-squeeze/

Good read, particularly with regards to the fullbacks. 

Given SR’s track record of getting progressively worse managers, I wonder who they’ll magic up when Martin inevitably goes

Maybe we’ll give Selles another go he has a failure to learn from

Edited by Nemi
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

big ron 

I cannot really see t

Just now, trousers said:

Regular viewers will acknowledge that I've always been one of the more pragmatic benefit-of-the-doubt brigade, but not this time I'm afraid... It's "Martin Out" for me... I've seen enough... In fact, I've seen far too much... 

I find it hard to believe that any manager with a front three of A Armstrong Adams and Ediose would be able to get a team promoted to the Premier League especially with the goal keeper defence and midfield that we have at the moment.

We need better players surely like we had in our last promotion before we chuck out the manager 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, John B said:

SR are a fucking joke if they think this squad is capable of promotion back to the PL

Totally, we started the season with a team that was more than good enough but no surprise that had to be blown up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Fuck off with your vanity project. You too, Rasmus.

I can't help thinking that if, hypothetically, a Pompey fan infiltrated our club and set about masterminding our downfall, how that would look any different to what's happening under Sport Republic? Genuine observation/question... (Call me Mr Paranoid...)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 6

Just now, James said:

Totally, we started the season with a team that was more than good enough but no surprise that had to be blown up.

You must be joking as I said earlier Adams Armstrong and Edosie are not just not good enough to be involved in a PL promotion campaign

• Confused 1

You must be joking as I said earlier Adams Armstrong and Edosie are not just not good enough to be involved in a PL promotion campaign

Yes but earlier in the season they were supplemented by players that were good enough. That's not the case anymore.

• Like 1

I think Edozie is decent, but Armstrong shouldn't be near a professional football team let alone a PL promotion chasing one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

IMG_1832.jpeg

Quite - appointing mediocrity on the basis of a ‘philosophy’ was madness for a club with parachute payments and that budget. 

I’m just laughing at the shittiness since 2017 and arrogance/ignorance of Reed/Kreuger/Semmens/Ankerson and now Wilcox. Bullshitters all. 

Doesn’t help that there’s an ongoing competition to appoint a worse first team manager than Ian Branfoot now. He’s out of the relegation zone now after Pellegrino, Nathan Jones and worst all, this bullshitting buffoon, rock bottom. 

Sports Republic - get out of our club, we don’t want you. Martin - get a new job as a You Tube quack selling questionable medical products. You certainly aren’t convincing anyone you aren’t a total phoney as a football manager. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 5

He’s wedded to a very particular system as if he has had masses of historical success with it by way of justification; and completely ignores the limitations of the players available to him to play that system. 
And he picks Smallbone Aribo and AdamArmstrong as a midfield trio. 
Just play our best players, and play a system that best suits them, you myopic, deluded, vain man. 

• Like 17

1 minute ago, benali-shorts said:

He’s wedded to a very particular system as if he has had masses of historical success with it by way of justification; and completely ignores the limitations of the players available to him to play that system. 
Just play our best players, and play a system that best suits them, you myopic, deluded, vain man. 

This is the most puzzling thing. The way he was talking the other day you'd have thought Swansea had stormed the Championship with a record points tally. In reality, they finished 9th. At this point we don't even look likely of replicating that.

• Like 2

Just now, benali-shorts said:

That's exactly it. People are just in love with Pep or Klopp and think they can create a mini-pep setup for themselves, but in reality Pep and Klopp are successful because they have fucking billions of pounds to spend. That's the crux of it! 

Like you say, play the best players in their natural positions. If you have enough good players in their natural positions then you will win games of football, and then you can pass the ball. Build a structure and then have a little tweak if you want, but we just seem like a Man City-lite vanity project and it's rather depressing.

• Like 8

Why can't we just play a 4231 or even a 532 and just stop this playing out no matter what bullshit. 

We are so boring to watch it's just not fun. This squad is so under performing its embarrassing.

I wonder if Martin is losing the dressing room already. Doesn't seem to be much belief or fight in us tonight.

• Like 4

Please pick proper midfielders and end the Adam Armstrong experiment now. Always feels like we have an attacker too many on the pitch and just leaves huge holes.

Also...Edozie has been great on the left, much less effective on the right. Fraser seems to put in 90% of his crosses with his weaker left foot. Switch them over.

He will obviously get more time, but help yourself out by making simple decisions. Shea Charles looks like a good holding midfielder so play him there.

• Like 2

The guy is a fraud, didn’t want him then and don’t want him now. The reality is 2 Che Adams tap ins have made things maybe seem a bit better than they were, truth is we’ve been crap.

Even Big Sam would be doing better than this fucking hipster I swear.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Saint Gifford said:

Neil Warnock is leaving Huddersfield in the press. 

Strange I know. But with our squad jezzz he would get them playing and promotion that the bookies wouldn’t ignore. 

He could pop home during the week. Just a thought. 

Just said the same thing.

• Like 2

I honestly reckon under Selles or Jones we would have at least as many points as we have now, and we wouldn’t have let in as many goals. We’ve beaten 2 shite sides & one average one, and have been pretty much outplayed in the others.  

It’s unbelievable how open we were in midfield again tonight, it beggars belief he can continue to set us up like this.  He’s not some foreign manager just arrived, he’s played & managed in this country, it defies belief he thinks this is the way forward. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

Neil Warnock is leaving Huddersfield in the press. 

Strange I know. But with our squad jezzz he would get them playing and promotion that the bookies wouldn’t ignore. 

He could pop home during the week. Just a thought. 

Always thought Warnock was an underrated manager.

• Like 7