Russell Martin

LegalEagle

9 hours ago, trousers said:

Excuse my unhealthy curiosity, but what prompted you to ask about him? 

Watched the Matt Gill press conference and he name checks a few of the coaching team but not Carl and then wondered if I had seen him recently and couldn’t recall. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dusic said:

Managerial merry-go-round will be in full swing this summer. Imagine De Zerbi will be one likely to be targetted and sure RM to Brighton links will crop up...

De Zerbi to Barca, Martin to Brighton (if we dont go up), Alonso to Pool

On 26/01/2024 at 09:33, Fabrice29 said:

Watched the Matt Gill press conference and he name checks a few of the coaching team but not Carl and then wondered if I had seen him recently and couldn’t recall. 

Got a big name check today so confirmed he's still around.

I guess the only major blemish on his time here at the moment is the signing of Stewart which he pushed for, a big gamble that has been a complete waste of time and money 

16 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I guess the only major blemish on his time here at the moment is the signing of Stewart which he pushed for, a big gamble that has been a complete waste of time and money 

And if we get promoted he may never play for us again. 

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Hardly something to blame on Martin, our medical team must have given it the green light, and really it is something that you cannot predict with any degree of certainty. It is difficult to argue that it has actually caused us any problem, would we have been markedly better off, points-wise, if he had played regularly from when he was recovered from his initial injury? 

• Like 2

Wether we go up or not I feel I’ve more than had my moneys worth from my ST- already.And a large part if that is down to RM. 

I find it genuinely refreshing in an age of tricksters charlatans and general bullshitters to have a Manager with his emotional intelligence, self-belief and strength of character.

His ability to articulate those beliefs into a football philosophy is excellent. The PB game he espouses is not new but he intelligently borrows from the best of the best out there in it whilst retaining all the traditional traits that we care about and insist upon. 

The result is possibly an historic undefeated run and certainly kudos and people taking notice - for the right reasons- of what’s happening here in sunny Soton. If it does not end in promotion many will write it off as failure. As would he. 

I, regretfully, have to concur with that but, to paraphrase one of the Romantics - it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. And Russell has given us a reason to love Saints and our football once more, so for that alone if nothing else, I’m grateful. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

Wether we go up or not I feel I’ve more than had my moneys worth from my ST- already.And a large part if that is down to RM. 

I find it genuinely refreshing in an age of tricksters charlatans and general bullshitters to have a Manager with his emotional intelligence, self-belief and strength of character.

His ability to articulate those beliefs into a football philosophy is excellent. The PB game he espouses is not new but he intelligently borrows from the best of the best out there in it whilst retaining all the traditional traits that we care about and insist upon. 

The result is possibly an historic undefeated run and certainly kudos and people taking notice - for the right reasons- of what’s happening here in sunny Soton. If it does not end in promotion many will write it off as failure. As would he. 

I, regretfully, have to concur with that but, to paraphrase one of the Romantics - it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. And Russell has given us a reason to love Saints and our football once more, so for that alone if nothing else, I’m grateful. 

Ultimately, all this must count for something at the end of the season. We should have more points than we do.

• Haha 1

Just now, VectisSaint said:

Hardly something to blame on Martin, our medical team must have given it the green light, and really it is something that you cannot predict with any degree of certainty. It is difficult to argue that it has actually caused us any problem, would we have been markedly better off, points-wise, if he had played regularly from when he was recovered from his initial injury? 

True not saying we should use it as a reason to beat Martin but ultimately the club agreed to sign someone that was already injured on signing and had previous injuries before that, someone at the club thought that was a good decision.... Who? 

10 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Ultimately, all this must count for something at the end of the season. We should have more points than we do.

Yup that’s true and something RM and team say repeatedly. Sounds like they use that thought as a spur and constant reminder - especially matches like today. 

My appreciation for RM is actually twofold- first & foremost it’s the football and the points - but in addition I appreciates the ephemeral side of things that he’s brought to our club, city amd fans worldwide. 

You never stop supporting the team you love - but the team you love can sometimes be a source of upset anger and frustration when things go wrong. Conversely the opposite can also be true. 

I think RM and team have done a lot to enhance the “happiness quotient” for want of a better phrase,  for Southampton supporters and it’s diaspora. I know many on here will heap scorn on me for saying so but sometimes it’s not all about the result - it’s how you play, the spirit in which you play, the attitude towards competing. And on all those counts Saints under RM get a from me. 😇

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It would be a great shame to not go up this year, especially as if we carry on as we are the points would be good enough to go up most years.

Appreciate everyone is different, but for me I didn’t expect us to be doing as well as we are (playoffs at best was what I thought) - and certainly didn’t think the atmosphere would have turned as positively as it has done. RM has to take credit for that. Let’s hope we can finish the job.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, saintant said:

I think RM will be fuming at some of our play today but obviously delighted at the way we fought to secure the win.

That's the key takeaway for me - not the football or the performance, as it was a real shocker for the majority. It was the character and balls they showed, a real never say die attitude even though they couldn't catch a break with their passing today!

• Like 2

I noticed Russell’s post match comments in the championship highlights were about remaining authentic and himself along with keeping the energy levels up. As feared his veganism seems to be starting to take hold, energy levels dropping, temptation all round him to indulge in cream, butter and meat. Tough times for him

• Haha 1

On 03/02/2024 at 19:31, Maggie May said:

I hope RM’s telling the players to go for the title. Leicester look formidable but we look the real deal at the moment. To go this many games unbeaten is a very rare feat. 

If, big IF, we win our game in hand we are 8 points behind Leicester. Beat them when we play them and Leeds to beat them too (good possibility), we are just 2 points behind them. Of course if we win them coming fixtures that is. 

Just now, Dr. Kucho said:

If, big IF, we win our game in hand we are 8 points behind Leicester. Beat them when we play them and Leeds to beat them too (good possibility), we are just 2 points behind them. Of course if we win them coming fixtures that is. 

Yep, it will take a relentless effort but who's to say we won't go unbeaten the rest of the season now? 

41 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Yep, it will take a relentless effort but who's to say we won't go unbeaten the rest of the season now? 

We can go unbeaten for the rest of the season and still not catch Leicester.

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

I noticed Russell’s post match comments in the championship highlights were about remaining authentic and himself along with keeping the energy levels up. As feared his veganism seems to be starting to take hold, energy levels dropping, temptation all round him to indulge in cream, butter and meat. Tough times for him

I think it’s a front. He’ll stop off at an obscure chippy in Chichester for two quarter pounders along with a large battered sausage to scoff in the Tesla on the way home.

14 hours ago, Turkish said:

Didn’t know he was a vegan. Just when I thought I couldn’t like him more. What a man. 

Explains the decent vegan hot dogs at SMS too. 

Edited by thesaint sfc
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, thesaint sfc said:

Didn’t know he was a vegan. Just when I thought I couldn’t like him more. What a man. 

Explains the decent vegan hot dogs at SMS too. 

say you're a vegan without saying you're a vegan.....