Russell Martin

LegalEagle

12 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Not if we learned from this season and rectified the issues. Is that so unreasonable an idea ? 

What makes you think Martin will learn anything from the mistakes of this season? He's been making the same mistakes nigh on since February and probably before. What's going to change in the close season? There is no in game management, subs for the sake of making subs, bizarre team selections and absolutely zero flexiability in a system. Week in and week out we do the same shit over and over again regardless of the opposition. A defence boasting the likes of KWP and THB should not be conceding over 60 goals.I mean Leicester have had Vestergaard playing cente half and they aren't anywhere near that total. As others have stated, next season is going to be more of the same, with lesser quality players. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

What makes you think Martin will learn anything from the mistakes of this season? He's been making the same mistakes nigh on since February and probably before. What's going to change in the close season? There is no in game management, subs for the sake of making subs, bizarre team selections and absolutely zero flexiability in a system. Week in and week out we do the same shit over and over again regardless of the opposition. A defence boasting the likes of KWP and THB should not be conceding over 60 goals.I mean Leicester have had Vestergaard playing cente half and they aren't anywhere near that total. As others have stated, next season is going to be more of the same, with lesser quality players. 

I hope we do learn is what I said. 

20 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

He is incredibly stubborn, no way will anything change.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Just imagine Hasenhuttl coaching these players. Would completely opposite tactics to RM have got us those extra 10 points?

Depends which version of Ralph you're referring to... The bright-eyed bushy-tailed Ralph when he first joined us or the worn-down disillusioned Ralph we ended up with...?

Edited by trousers
  • Like 7

33 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Just imagine Hasenhuttl coaching these players. Would completely opposite tactics to RM have got us those extra 10 points?

Screenshot_20240427_092013_Google.jpg

A manager who has promoted a small team to the German top flight, managed another to second and sixth in the top flight, managed in the Champions League, and then three successful seasons steering Saints to (best) mid table and (at worst) comfortable safety each time.

Versus a guy who has scraped MK Dons to 13th in L1 and Swansea to 10th. 

It's a real head scratcher if Ralph could do better.

• Like 9
  • Haha 8

30 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I hope we do learn is what I said. 

There is no evidence do suggest that he has or will. We play the same way be it against Leicester or Rotherham. Someone here suggested that we don't even bother to look at opposing teams in teams of how they set up etc. After watching as be completely outplayed by Leicester, I can well believe this. 

• Like 3

I think I see the problem. This is a photo of the managers of Liverpool, Man United and Man City.

F365-Three-Images-Collage-Pep-Guardiola-Ten-Hag-Arne-Slot-1.thumb.jpg.2513c0d5cc217a58b7c8d0eb754b6957.jpg

Russell is never going to be a top, top manager with that luscious head of hair. If he came out today with a skin head then we know he's serious about us winning the play offs.

Alternatively, fire Martin and make Smallbone player/manager 👀

Edited by Saint NL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

He is incredibly stubborn, no way will anything change.

Over the last 2-3 years, there's one critisism I've seen thrown at every single manager in Britain (the ones I've seen or participated in conversations about anyway), one phrase that constantly gets thrown around when things aren't going well and that's "He has no Plan B". And I've seen that said about Klopp and Pep and also about non league managers. Could it be that EVERY manager is just so intergrained in one particular distinctive style that they simply won't change it. After all, if it's the style that got them hired and the style the owners of clubs are expecting them to play, why would they change it?

It seems to be the manager equivalent of a decent player who has a poor run of form and is branded as "Goes missing in big games". The standard "go to" critisism.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Over the last 2-3 years, there's one critisism I've seen thrown at every single manager in Britain (the ones I've seen or participated in conversations about anyway), one phrase that constantly gets thrown around when things aren't going well and that's "He has no Plan B". And I've seen that said about Klopp and Pep and also about non league managers. Could it be that EVERY manager is just so intergrained in one particular distinctive style that they simply won't change it. After all, if it's the style that got them hired and the style the owners of clubs are expecting them to play, why would they change it?

It seems to be the manager equivalent of a decent player who has a poor run of form and is branded as "Goes missing in big games". The standard "go to" critisism.

It's not about that in my view. Have a style of play by all means, but there are going to be times when it needs adapting or changing however way a game is going. Martin is not proactive in making changes, tactially niave. Subs are almost like for like. A player is never brought on to help out close a game. its the same system whether we are 3 down or three up.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Really interesting take on it. I’ve not thought about Managers being associated so strongly with a “ brand” that they feel unable or very reluctant to veer away from it even if it loses. 

Everybody knows RM style of football. If you are an owner and you want one of those PB managers then Russ, if available, is always very high on the list. 

IF, on the other hand, Russ diluted his “brand” by chopping and changing tactics such that is simply reactive doing whatever is needed to win ( aka like José!) then arguably he is jeopardising his biggest career USP. Win or lose, bizarrely enough. 

In todays World a lot of owners are looking at brand image almost as much as results. With RM you know exactly what you are going to get. Exactly. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

In todays World a lot of owners are looking at brand image almost as much as results. With RM you know exactly what you are going to get. Exactly. 

What, over 60 goals conceded in a season?

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

With RM you know exactly what you are going to get. Exactly. 

You sure do. Rusty's CV: 

"If you want to translate 70%+ possession into a 5-0 defeat, I'm your man!" 

"Other skills include picking Jack Stephens, not being able to coach a defence, not bothering to study the opposition and not responding to changes in a game."

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

And those who do change too much get labeled as tinkerers or have accusations thrown that they don't know their best formation.

Another thing is the "doesn't change tactics in a game" as if there's other managers out there who react to match situations and get their subs right every time, or continually change formation and turn games around.

Yes, this happens sometimes. It's happened for Martin this season. However, largely you'll find that a lot of managers try stuff that doesn't work.

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

A manager who has promoted a small team to the German top flight, managed another to second and sixth in the top flight, managed in the Champions League, and then three successful seasons steering Saints to (best) mid table and (at worst) comfortable safety each time.

Versus a guy who has scraped MK Dons to 13th in L1 and Swansea to 10th. 

It's a real head scratcher if Ralph could do better.

I thought getting rid of Ralph was the right thing to do.  They should have done it in the Summer.

However, I would bite your hand off for him to be our manager now over the total shit Sports Republic have given us since.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

You sure do. Rusty's CV: 

"If you want to translate 70%+ possession into a 5-0 defeat, I'm your man!" 

"Other skills include picking Jack Stephens, not being able to coach a defence, not bothering to study the opposition and not responding to changes in a game."

Pity he did not pick Jack to start for our 5-0 thrashing then isn’t it. Sort of undermines your argument. 

Honestly the forum mythology that Stephens is rubbish and is only playing as he is Russell’s bestie is one of the more ridiculous comments I’ve seen on here. Decent bloke, decent player at this level and a captain who plays with heart on his sleeve. Willing to play any position for the team. Yet skated when he does not even play. Go figure. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Pity he did not pick Jack to start for our 5-0 thrashing then isn’t it. Sort of undermines your argument. 

Honestly the forum mythology that Stephens is rubbish and is only playing as he is Russell’s bestie is one of the more ridiculous comments I’ve seen on here. Decent bloke, decent player at this level and a captain who plays with heart on his sleeve. Willing to play any position for the team. Yet skated when he does not even play. Go figure. 

He’s not very good. That’s the problem.

10 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

You do love to start an argument, for sure. JS is a CB, no? but out of the main three we have, he is 3rd best, simple. Yes, he will play in other positions, but he is a CB playing out of position in those he plays.

7 minutes ago, Gingeletiss said:

You do love to start an argument, for sure. JS is a CB, no? but out of the main three we have, he is 3rd best, simple. Yes, he will play in other positions, but he is a CB playing out of position in those he plays.

There’s a negative narrative on this forum about Stephens ( about most topics saints tbh) that I’m sure you are aware of.

I don’t agree with all of it. Sorry if that’s argumentative. 

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

There’s a negative narrative on this forum about Stephens ( about most topics saints tbh) that I’m sure you are aware of.

So you do agree with some of it.

Odd then, that you are so pious when other people are negative, but it's perfectly fine for you to be negative about things you don't like.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

Screenshot_20240427_092013_Google.jpg

Ralph would have got us promoted, in my opinion

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

It’s not an argument, it’s a discussion and in my case all views are welcome.

In the case of Jack Stephens  my opinion is based on several seasons of watching him perform. I just don’t think he has the ability to concentrate for a whole 90 minutes or more. In the Premier League especially everything happens very quickly and your reactions and positioning have to be instinctive because there’s no time to think. In my opinion he too often gets caught ball watching or goes off chasing rabbits.

• Like 2

Not inspiring much confidence is he. The philosophy is shit, his tactics are shit, game management is shit. 

Hope the owners were paying attention today. 

• Like 3

The strange thing is how did he manage to take us on a 25 match unbeaten run ?

since the run ended we don’t even look average anymore, we are struggling against everybody at the moment.

Momentum And form seems at the worst it’s been all season.... as it stands it seems a total waste to let him stay for the playoffs.. we haven’t got a cat in hells chance of winning the playoffs in our current form.

make the change now and maybe we get a new manager bounce that can take us through the playoffs 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Would you sack Martin now and bring in an experienced manager for the final game and play offs? 

No.  I'd sack him now and not bring anybody in for the last 3 games.  Player meeting, you got us into this mess, you get us out.  It can't go any worse than sticking with pointless, passive Russball.  Appoint new man next season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Micky said:

No.  I'd sack him now and not bring anybody in for the last 3 games.  Player meeting, you got us into this mess, you get us out.  It can't go any worse than sticking with pointless, passive Russball.  Appoint new man next season. 

That sounds like something out of the Mighty Ducks movies. Not sure even a flying V formation would save this shit show.

35 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

No that would be silly but I would sack him if/when we lose the playoffs. I'd also definitely sack him in the extremely unlikely event we were to get promoted

Why would it be silly ?

if we keep him for the play offs we are writing off this season 

absolutely no chance we are winning the play offs with Him in charge ..

surely it’s worth trying someone else with the reward of premiership football at stake ..

We have a decent squad but russ is getting nothing out of them .. this isn’t bad luck now and isn’t going to change unless we do something about it 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Another appalling appointment. What the fuck were SR thinking? 

He’s completely lost the plot and is becoming an embarrassment. Few reports that he’s lost the dressing room and it’s blindingly obvious this is true. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

The strange thing is how did he manage to take us on a 25 match unbeaten run ?

Mainly narrow wins and too many draws...? 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

Just now, Fan The Flames said:

You can't change manager now, you can't get anyone in time. We stick or limp to the end with a caretaker and that's it.

How do we know that the 'stick' option doesn't also result in "limping to the end"...?

• Like 1

Has anyone considered that if, by some miracle, we do go up, given the state of our defence, we're certainly looking at getting battered weekly? It just feels like there's a 9-0 defeat looming around the corner if we do gain promotion.

39 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

I hate him. I hate his football. I hate the fact his appointment has wasted our first season of parachute payments. 

I agree with the sentiment, but we’ve not received any parachute payments yet to be fair, they get given at the end of the season if teams don’t go up.

19 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Why would it be silly ?

if we keep him for the play offs we are writing off this season 

absolutely no chance we are winning the play offs with Him in charge ..

surely it’s worth trying someone else with the reward of premiership football at stake ..

We have a decent squad but russ is getting nothing out of them .. this isn’t bad luck now and isn’t going to change unless we do something about it 

I get you but it ain't ever going to happen

7 minutes ago, trousers said:

How do we know that the 'stick' option doesn't also result in "limping to the end"...?

On current evidence it probably will. What I'm saying is getting in a new manager before the playoffs is not a realistic option.