Other Games 23/24

skintsaint

7 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Man Utd have never really even got close to replacing Fergie.

That’s amusing as @The Kraken can confirm there is a school of thought that the Man United job is one of the easiest around and even Alan Pardew would win the league there. 

• Like 1

Just now, Turkish said:

That’s amusing as @The Kraken can confirm there is a school of thought that the Man United job is one of the easiest around and even Alan Pardew would win the league there. 

I was constantly referred to the fact that if they were ever in trouble they’d just spend half a billion on transfers and that would be that.

Good old 1teem 🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, all comps.

To be fair, how long do you give him though? He's already had 2 full seasons there and they're now 10x worse than when he started. His player picks have been horrendous, Antony for example is one of the worst football players I've ever seen - £84m!

If I was Utd, I'd cut losses. From a pure neutral point of view though it would be good if he stayed, as it's quite fun watching them be this consistently shit.

I'd give him as long as I said, all of next season and then judge from the season after. When you have a manager merrygoround at a top 6 club you end up having to try and shift on players that nobody else can afford and replace them with players that you're being overcharged for, so a rebuild takes a lot longer. Right now he's stuck with players he doesn't want from previous managers - sack him and the next manager will be stuck with players Ten Haag signed that he doesn't want, and so on, and so on. 

At bare minimum you give him next season. 

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I'd give him as long as I said, all of next season and then judge from the season after. When you have a manager merrygoround at a top 6 club you end up having to try and shift on players that nobody else can afford and replace them with players that you're being overcharged for, so a rebuild takes a lot longer. Right now he's stuck with players he doesn't want from previous managers - sack him and the next manager will be stuck with players Ten Haag signed that he doesn't want, and so on, and so on. 

All very reasonable and logical. Except that the likes of Ratcliffe ( and lower down the chain, Wilcox) can’t wait to put their mark on things, and make a change 

3 hours ago, Badger said:

All very reasonable and logical. Except that the likes of Ratcliffe ( and lower down the chain, Wilcox) can’t wait to put their mark on things, and make a change 

Agree with that after some of the stories Sir Jim fed to the press before and after the takeover ( new stadium, rebuild half of Manchester) he has a lot to live up to.

They were in the playoffs in January and their owner rolled the dice. Think they brought six players in. Then went and won only three of the last 13 games to miss the playoffs and let Norwich catch up/get in ahead of them.

Could be a similar story in the summer if Saints lose out in the play-offs, Martin has hinted at it previously. If the tactics are more pragmatic aka last Saturday at Leeds, and Dragan’s willing to invest, then a loss at Wembley where we’ve had a good go at it, then he could stay even with the turnover of players as it’s a weaker league next season. If he reverts to Martinball, then it could be a similar story to Rosenior.

Rosenior is well regarded as a coach, and done well overall in his first major job as #1. Where I think it’s hurt him is that their owner backed him apparently in January to strengthen but presumably on the basis of making the top 6. Dragan could make the same argument if WBA beat us in the semis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chownie20 said:

Very harsh I think, although suppose it's a failure for them not making the playoffs. 

Seems a little shortsighted in a year where there were only effectively two playoff places for a team of Hull’s strength to realistically aim for, and they’ve ended up just missing out by three points and goal difference.

Posted (edited)

I always thought Rosenior had flopped a bit given the players he had at his disposal, I think I can somewhat understand why their owners expected a bit more with players like Delap, Morton, Seri, Greaves, Carvahlo, Zahorey, Phillogene, Tufan etc available to him. They had much more quality than WBA in my opinion, I'd have been more worried had we ended up facing Hull!

I was always a little confused by his Manager of the season nomination.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Could be a similar story in the summer if Saints lose out in the play-offs, Martin has hinted at it previously. If the tactics are more pragmatic aka last Saturday at Leeds, and Dragan’s willing to invest, then a loss at Wembley where we’ve had a good go at it, then he could stay even with the turnover of players as it’s a weaker league next season. If he reverts to Martinball, then it could be a similar story to Rosenior.

Rosenior is well regarded as a coach, and done well overall in his first major job as #1. Where I think it’s hurt him is that their owner backed him apparently in January to strengthen but presumably on the basis of making the top 6. Dragan could make the same argument if WBA beat us in the semis.

I have a feeling Rasmus loves Martinball, I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks it's brilliantly unconventional and makes us look like City.

Also I'm not sure Dragan will do anything, he seems to have no clue. He did diddly squat last year after SR's disastrous antics and taking us down.

Edited by Dark Munster

Just now, Dark Munster said:

I have a feeling Rasmus loves Martinball, I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks it's brilliantly unconventional and makes us look like City.

Also I'm not sure Dragan will do anything, he seems to have no a clue. He did diddly squat last year after SR's disastrous antics and taking us down.

I'm sure he understands a depreciating asset and investment quite well.

15 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

If you have a look at what are effectively his players -

Garnacho (came through under him)

Hojlund - £75m striker

Antony - £85m of nothing.

Mainoo (came through under him)

Onana - £35m pick for GK by him.

Martinez - £40m pick by him for CB

Malacia - £40m pick for LB (although he's been injured)

Amrabat - Loan signing, his pick

Christian Ericksen - Free transfer, his pick.

Casemiro - £70m, his pick.

The players he inherited were the likes of Shaw, Varane, Rashford, Martial, Fernandes, Wan Bissaka, McTominay.

So in my eyes he's already reinvited that squad, added loads for lots and lots of money - and they look worse for it. They need new CM's, new strikers, new GK to start with - and that would be replacing his big signings. It's quite funny watching them struggle so I don't care that much, but I think it's wrong to say he needs time to mould his own team and that he's still got players that aren't his, the majority are his picks or players who have come through under him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

I'm sure he understands a depreciating asset and investment quite well.

He seemed to accept last year's disaster. Hopefully failure to go up this year will be a bridge too far for him and he'll finally kick some arses.

52 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If you have a look at what are effectively his players -

Garnacho (came through under him)

Hojlund - £75m striker

Antony - £85m of nothing.

Mainoo (came through under him)

Onana - £35m pick for GK by him.

Martinez - £40m pick by him for CB

Malacia - £40m pick for LB (although he's been injured)

Amrabat - Loan signing, his pick

Christian Ericksen - Free transfer, his pick.

Casemiro - £70m, his pick.

The players he inherited were the likes of Shaw, Varane, Rashford, Martial, Fernandes, Wan Bissaka, McTominay.

So in my eyes he's already reinvited that squad, added loads for lots and lots of money - and they look worse for it. They need new CM's, new strikers, new GK to start with - and that would be replacing his big signings. It's quite funny watching them struggle so I don't care that much, but I think it's wrong to say he needs time to mould his own team and that he's still got players that aren't his, the majority are his picks or players who have come through under him.

Wise words here...

8 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Madness. If Birmingham this season have taught anyone anything, it's that the managerial grass next door is not always greener. They could regret this. Yes they made some decent signings especially Philogene, but he was also injured for a chunk of the season. (BTW someone we should be looking at signing, he's looked excellent when I've seen him).

• Like 1

Shocked to read that Hull have sacked Rosenior. Minimum expectation the Hull owners had this season was top 10, that would’ve shown further progression building on their previous season. Hard knock for Rosenior hope he gets a club that will value him. 

I do feel sorry for Kane as you'd have fancied Bayern against Dortmund but he did also miss a golden opportunity to make it 0-2 so can't absolve him of all the blame. Ultimately, it was poor game management and a rare Neuer mistake that cost the game but I felt Kane, despite his assist, was largely anonymous which we've seen from him before on big occasions. I hope he shows up for the Euros.

9 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Shocking from officials, that was bloody tight. Needed to go to VAR 

Amazing that some of the best officials there are could get something so straightfd so wrong. Absolute shocker. (not saying he was conclusively onside, it was tight either way but that's what VAR is for)

30 minutes ago, sandwichsaint said:

Amazing that some of the best officials there are could get something so straightfd so wrong. Absolute shocker. (not saying he was conclusively onside, it was tight either way but that's what VAR is for)

I’m more old school. Accept the on field decision, deal with it and move on.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

100/ with you, I never wanted VAR but that wasn’t my point. Major mistake by the Lino to raise his flag, not sure why such an experienced official would make such an obvious mistake.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

If that was the case then Madrids winner should have been ruled out as the Lino flagged. The major difference was the Madrid move was allowed to reach a conclusion, and therefore the Lino’s  error was corrected, whereas the Bayern one  wasn’t. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

10 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If that was the case then Madrids winner should have been ruled out as the Lino flagged. The major difference was the Madrid move was allowed to reach a conclusion, and therefore the Lino’s  error was corrected, whereas the Bayern one  wasn’t. 

Yes, I know that. 

I was referring to a time before VAR. incidents such as these are one of the reasons that I hate it.

Bayer Leverkusen’s run goes on thanks to another 97th minute goal with the last kick of the game.

4 games away from an invincible treble season. Not completed yet obviously, but goes down as a more extraordinary football achievement for me than Leicester winning the league if they manage to finish it off.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Bayer Leverkusen’s run goes on thanks to another 97th minute goal with the last kick of the game.

4 games away from an invincible treble season. Not completed yet obviously, but goes down as a more extraordinary football achievement for me than Leicester winning the league if they manage to finish it off.

Hope we added some bonus extras to Tella sale based on Leverkusen winning something this season , incredible achievement 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

It's impressive, but for me Leicester's 5000-1 PL win is the greatest sporting upset in history (across all sports).

Posted (edited)

Burnley down then - We'll never know, but I can't help thinking, if they'd offered a more realistic fee for Nathan Tella, they may have still been a a Premier League club tonight? As I say, we and they will never know.

Edited by Saint Keef
spelling

2 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

Burnley down then - We'll never know, but I can't help thinking, if they'd offered a more realistic fee for Nathan Tella, they may have still been a a Premier League club tonight? As I say, we and they will never know.

I very much doubt he’d have been the difference between Burnley staying up and going down, he offered nothing at all for us. I’m sure he’s improved but I couldn’t see him being the player that made the difference.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, saintant said:

Norwich v Leeds very cagey so far and pretty boring. Typical play-off first leg game.

Neither of these two sides looks anywhere near good enough to dispute the PL next season. So, they'd have to recrute massively or go yo-yo.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Huge blow for Norwich if Sargent misses the second leg.

Yeah, he didn't look too happy when going off. And it's a quick turnaround. Hopefully just got enough to get a winner against Leeds and then have to miss the next game.

37 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Bayer Leverkusen now three games away from the invincible treble. Unreal.

You never see or hear anyone using the word ‘vincible’. As far as I know it’s a perfectly cromulent word but it never gets used.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

You never see or hear anyone using the word ‘vincible’. As far as I know it’s a perfectly cromulent word but it never gets used.

Epicaricacy is one that should really be used more, especially in football.