Other Games 23/24

skintsaint

6 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

"Ipswich need one point! Leeds United need a miracle."

If not a miracle, an underperforming Saints team might help them a bit. 🙂

Replacement ref didn't give anything for players falling over. So, a good flowing game. Two very tire teams, with Ipswich carrying some knocks, at the end. But they wanted it forward all the time. Quite controlled about it too. It pushed Coventry back, and made them make some errors in their own box, while on the back foot.

Will not matter because Ipswich will surely manage at least a point at home to Huddersfield. Good luck to them - fully deserved and they have a coach with a bit of intelligence who knows how to swing momentum their way when needed - wish I could say the same about RM but he's the polar opposite.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Will not matter because Ipswich will surely manage at least a point at home to Huddersfield. Good luck to them - fully deserved and they have a coach with a bit of intelligence who knows how to swing momentum their way when needed - wish I could say the same about RM but he's the polar opposite.

There could be some twists and turns on the final day. Providing us with something to distract us as our side ping the ball around their own half. 🙂

• Haha 1

Fair play to Ipswich, they deserve it (assuming they get the point)

They had an incredible start for a promoted side, then came the big wobble, but they weathered it and then managed to rediscover the form that got them there in the first place. 

If we had managed to do the same after our wobble they might not have been 1 point away from the premier league. 

Won't be the most recent club to win back to back promotions to the Premier League much longer. :(

I said McKenna would be a good option for us last summer, shame we didn't try and pry him away.

Imagine us needing 4 pts from cov away & Huddersfield at home .. we’d have lost tonight & probably drew Saturday vs Huddersfield! 

brum need something out of canaries Saturday but I think they are relegated!

plymouth draw against hull keeps them up for me !

Well done Ipswich. They are a decent club and deserve promotion.

It's nice to have a team come up the leagues. Also goes to show that you don't necessarily need a financial advantage to pull off something special.

Will be interesting to see if they do what we did in avoiding relegation and then stabilizing in the Premier League for a while.

Edited by The Cat
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, sandwichsaint said:

Keifor?Moore, what a waste of money, load of rubbish etc etc

Much rather have Brooks and Kleber Chala.

We got the wrong cherry/cherries.

I'm not  sure if we've got the wrong players or the wrong manager.

Well done to Ipswich, an incredible achievement.

Obvious comparisons with us in 2012 with the back to back promotions. Might be biased, but our team was much stronger. Rickie Lambert or Kiefer Moore, Adam Lallana or Wes Burns, Morgan Schneiderlin or Massimo Luongo 🤔.

Ipswich have been very average defensively, but their attacking style and resilience has made the difference. Would like to see them hold their own in the PL, but they'll need some excellent recruitment just to compete, such is the gulf between the top of the Championship and lower half of the PL right now

51 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

Perhaps both?  I've said for a long time that Ipswich will go up, full of aggressive direct play. But most importantly they understand the simple fact that goals win games.  You get nothing for having tons of the ball in your own half of the pitch.   I'm really happy for them, great to see them back in the premiereship. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You can’t tell anything from a still photo, but I remember watching it at the time. That wasn’t the main reason that I hate VAR.

The video is equally conclusive I assure you. That game was spared a huge injustice thanks to VAR, however you try and spin it.

Congratulations to Ipswich, nice to have someone different in the top flight, even though I do think they’ll be next season’s Blades. Pleased for Marcus Stewart getting some decent news, in particular.

58 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

We’re not ‘wrong’ as such, 23 out of the 24 teams in this league aren’t Ipswich and 22 of them wish they were. The fact that Ipswich is the first team since us 12 years ago to do this, shows just how much of a rarity it is.

From what I've seen, Ipswich's attacking intent makes their opponents defensively cautious. They drop back, and it doesn't take much, giving Ipswich the room to break presses into their opponents half, to launch yet more attacks.

We prefer more control, but at the expense of pressure and quicker releases (although RM has said he's looking for quicker movement)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

The video is equally conclusive I assure you. That game was spared a huge injustice thanks to VAR, however you try and spin it.

Congratulations to Ipswich, nice to have someone different in the top flight, even though I do think they’ll be next season’s Blades. Pleased for Marcus Stewart getting some decent news, in particular.

Yeah, I saw it all at the time and I wouldn’t call it a howler.

And well done Ipswich. My dad used to go and watch them when Alf Ramsey was their manager.

I suspect Ipswich will be rather more confident of not losing to Huddersfield on Saturday than of Saints helping them out at Elland Rd. Good luck to them. Well deserved.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Could Pompey be next year's Ipswich or the version of Saints the year we went straight up from League 1 to the Prem?

More likely next year's Rotherham.  A poor side which will be found out in the Championship without investment from Mickey Mouse and friends.

• Like 4

Ipswich will get absolutely destroyed by var. They push the rules to the limit in the championship and that's not going to fly against the big boys and a bunch of refs that will look for any reason to chalk off a goal.

7 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Really don't get the love in with Ipswich. Wasn't that impressed with them at St Marys, and we should have beaten them at their place. Would have done if Martin had any proper in game mangement skills.

Agreed, I don't understand all this love in for Ipswich. Some of their players seem to be thugs, and as for them being poor, plucky underdogs:

Owners: Gamechanger 20 Ltd.   Net worth: $10.8B

That being said, their manager has done a brilliant job, and if their manager and our muppet had been swapped at the beginning of the season I reckon we'd be where they are now, and they would be lower mid-table or even flirting with relegation.

59 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Agreed, I don't understand all this love in for Ipswich. Some of their players seem to be thugs, and as for them being poor, plucky underdogs:

That being said, their manager has done a brilliant job, and if their manager and our muppet had been swapped at the beginning of the season I reckon we'd be where they are now, and they would be lower mid-table or even flirting with relegation.

They've barely spent anything to get to the brink of the PL (apparently c£5m in the last two years).  It's not like they are a lower league version of Man City

1 hour ago, Dark Munster said:

Because they are not Leeds

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

Because they are not Leeds

Can’t argue with that! I’d choose Ipswich going up over them any day. Unfortunately there’s a good chance they both will. 

6 hours ago, Saint NL said:

Ipswich will get absolutely destroyed by var. They push the rules to the limit in the championship and that's not going to fly against the big boys and a bunch of refs that will look for any reason to chalk off a goal.

Quite agree. Morsy in particular.  But to be frank if they want to compete then the only players I'd retain are Hladcky, Burgess, Davis, at a push Burns. Hutchinson isn't their player and will cost upwards of £20m I'd imagine.  Have to navigate financials carefully if likely to go back down again, and not lose the spirit and togetherness that has got them promoted this season. Tough old ask really.

If we had KM in charge we would have gone up. What a response to the Coventry equaliser as well,if that had been Saints they would probably gone 2-1 down instead of 2-1 up. Ipswich are not the second best side on paper,but will deserve to go up if they get the right result on saturday,they have lost only 6 games and fight for the whole 90 plus minutes,well done to them.

• Like 1

Hardly watched any premier league football this season and just half watching Chelsea/Spurs on TV because it's on. And they've just taken 3-5 minutes with VAR to decide whether a Chelsea goal should be allowed. They're going through all the permutations. Was anyone offside, was anyone fouling anyone, was there obstruction? FFS, what happened to the Clear and Obvious error? I swear even over a season VAR has got more and more anal.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Hardly watched any premier league football this season and just half watching Chelsea/Spurs on TV because it's on. And they've just taken 3-5 minutes with VAR to decide whether a Chelsea goal should be allowed. They're going through all the permutations. Was anyone offside, was anyone fouling anyone, was there obstruction? FFS, what happened to the Clear and Obvious error? I swear even over a season VAR has got more and more anal.

Just thought the same thing. Just makes you want to switch off.

Farcical really.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Andrew Watson said:

If we had KM in charge we would have gone up. What a response to the Coventry equaliser as well,if that had been Saints they would probably gone 2-1 down instead of 2-1 up. Ipswich are not the second best side on paper,but will deserve to go up if they get the right result on saturday,they have lost only 6 games and fight for the whole 90 plus minutes,well done to them.

Hes done what good managers do, get the most out of what’s available. Our manager seems to do the exact opposite. Despite all his bravado about being brave you’d struggle to think of a single player who has overachieved this season 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 6

So at season end, only two teams achieved two points per game and those two are the two that are automatically promoted.

Two points a game. Simple.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pleased to see Birmingham go down. Fully deserved after sacking a manager after a good start and appointing Rooney.

Also, for those of us with long memories Birm v Norwich on the last day of the season is a miserable fixture. Unlike 1974 when they beat Norwich they go down this time. 

Fucking hell, that was 50 years ago. (So at least that scar tissue has healed). 

Edited by Badger
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

So at season end, only two teams achieved two points per game and those two are the two that are automatically promoted.

I'm not too sure Leeds would've agreed it was that simple had they won today... ;)

Edited by trousers

7 minutes ago, trousers said:

I'm not too sure Leeds would've agreed it was that simple had they won today... ;)

In many ways, they didn't win today.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Two wins and a loss. Keep that up all season and all should be well.

I know, I know. There are 46 games in a season so we might need the odd extra win too.

38 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Two wins and a loss. Keep that up all season and all should be well.

I know, I know. There are 46 games in a season so we might need the odd extra win too.

Two wins and a loss - is that your prediction for the next 3 games?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Paolo Gazzanigga and his Girona team mates have qualified for next season's Champions League after beating Barcelona 4-2.

( And needing 3 goals with 15 minutes to play if they were to have any chance of stopping Real Madrid becoming champions, Barca sent on that attacking powerhouse Oriel Romeu ).

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

What an effort by Ipswich, it's nice to see someone different in the PL from time to time rather than the usual yo-yo's, they'll need to do a hell of a lot to be competitive for sure, but they'll enjoy the summer trying to do that and being linked with players they could only dream of 2 years ago!

Birmingham were served the ultimate dose of karma - Eustace was fine for them, but they got all celebrity-focused and brought in someone who should never be a manager. That relegated them, nothing that happened after could save them. To see Eustace then saving Blackburn at their expense is the ultimate slap for them and their daft yank owners. 

They do have a lot of money behind them though and at L1 level that will make the ultimate difference, so I expect them to rip L1 to pieces next year and return with a bounce - could be a relegation that provides them the reset they need.

I see a lot of people saying Rosenior has done so well to get Hull as close as he did, but he's flopped massively with the players he had imo. Carvalho, Philogene, Delap, Greaves, Seri - they shouldn't be scraping to get into the playoffs ont he last day, they should have been in there with WBA/Norwich. He had better players at his disposal than WBA.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cprgxj4zlneo

Everton troubles continue to mount.  What a shame!

The Price of Football podcast has been a decent way of following the utter shambles they find themselves in. From their loan applications, breaching of rules, bloating their covid losses, lost russian revenue and early warning alarms regarding 777.

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

One for the statisticians - have Man Utd ever finished a PL season on negative GD? Currently -3 on the live table.

According to the BBC match site, this is the most goals they’ve conceded (81) since 1976/7.

Last negative GD was 1989/90.

Suspect Ten Hag might be on very thin ice after tonight. 

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

According to the BBC match site, this is the most goals they’ve conceded (81) since 1976/7.

Last negative GD was 1989/90.

Suspect Ten Hag might be on very thin ice after tonight. 

81!? I'm assuming that's all competitions? 

Ten Haag needs to be given next season and then judged the season after. Player prices are so ridiculous now that it takes three full seasons to rebuild a top 6 squad. 

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

81!? I'm assuming that's all competitions? 

Ten Haag needs to be given next season and then judged the season after. Player prices are so ridiculous now that it takes three full seasons to rebuild a top 6 squad. 

Yeah, all comps.

To be fair, how long do you give him though? He's already had 2 full seasons there and they're now 10x worse than when he started. His player picks have been horrendous, Antony for example is one of the worst football players I've ever seen - £84m!

If I was Utd, I'd cut losses. From a pure neutral point of view though it would be good if he stayed, as it's quite fun watching them be this consistently shit.

• Like 1