Saints 4-4 Norwich

whelk

Beginning to see why Martin teams concede for fun. They're an absolute shambles out of possession. But, hey, as long as everyone buys into the "philosophy", everything will be great, right? This time will be different to the other midtable mediocrities he's overseen, right?

3 games, 4 goals conceded from set pieces. It's basic stuff: we only have at best one player in the XI who can win a header. Lots of little tippy tappy fuckers, though - which is no help at all when the ball is in the air.

The side is fundamentally imbalanced. Not a water carrier in sight. In a very physical league. It's rank negligence.

Man City are the tippy tappy benchmark in English football, but even Pep has conceded an XI of lightweights gets you nowhere - they're now one of the biggest teams around: five or six players 6ft+ in most line ups. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

From what I read most people want another keeper. How many people exactly are you talking about?

You have to apportion blame where it's due at the time. He's done nothing wrong today. Would be much more prevalent to be having a go at the defence in front of him for allowing 2 free headers and an unchallenged shot.

Hasn’t done anything wrong? Pretty low bar if that’s your view. You may think he had no chance, I disagree. Point is every time the ball goes into the box he’s rooted to the line. Hardly helps…

4 minutes ago, James said:

Surprising how many on here are happy with a keeper who concedes every shot that hits the target. 

People aren't "happy" with Baz, and desperately want a competent keepr recruited, but castigating him even when he is actually blameless is lazy and unfair.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BranfootsLoveChild said:

What the hell has Bazunu got in his contract that the  the Saints managers that they have to play him every week. He's useless. I know some of the players are bad but he is a liabilty!

Yeah, because our other options are simply awesome right?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

We can't play with 1 DM

Been saying this for a very long time, got to go back to the 4231 formation and get 2 real Dm's in there, Smallbone isnt a cdm he's a box-box, Acm type. Charles is a DM get him playing there and get someone else in playing alongside him.

As it stands we have no protective shield for the defence, same as last season, until we get that sorted out, we wont get back to the premiership anytime soon.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Too early to start on the manager. More disappointing is the squad is still the same gutless bunch who got us relegated. The rot is still there. 

Agree too early but was anyone inspired or filled with confidence by his appointment? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, James said:

Surprising how many on here are happy with a keeper who concedes every shot that hits the target. 

I am more upset that 10 players cannot get near them. Those were very good goals, all tucked, all unchallenged, 10 statues, with a short keeper reaching for the air.

Edited by BERMUDASAINT

Why the fuck is Shea Charles not starting? For £10m in the Champ, he’s a fucking DMC and Saints don’t have one on the pitch, and look at the result. Full backs need to work harder on stopping crosses coming in as well. 

Russell Martin isn’t going to last long if the side carries on leaking like this. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, saintroyt said:

Once again board happy to bank transfer money without replacements lined up.Transfer policy? is fucking joke I can’t see us in top 6 if we carry on in such enept incompetent way .Welcome league one😩

We spent £130m last year including £50m in January. We were relegated and as a result you have to feel some 'pain'. We've signed Manning and Charles. It's not like we are playing kids.

2 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Agree too early but was anyone inspired or filled with confidence by his appointment? 

Yep way too early to turn. But part of the problem is the same problem with Jones which is you appoint someone with little track record, they simply get less time to show what they can do. At least Jones had achieved some stuff in football. Martin doesn't give us much to cling onto, so he is going to have show us relatively quickly why is the guy.

If they hire someone that gets us excited, the fans will give them more time.

3 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Yeah, because our other options are simply awesome right?

But any manager/coach worth their salt would look at videos of Baz and draw the conclusion that he simply isn't anywhere near ready to be trusted as our number one keeper. Instead of buying a decent first choice to replace him we added Lumley to the list of incompetents. It's ridiculous for a club that claims to want to get back into the Prem at the first time of asking.

5 minutes ago, DrunkenSaint said:

Been saying this for a very long time, got to go back to the 4231 formation and get 2 real Dm's in there, Smallbone isnt a cdm he's a box-box, Acm type. Charles is a DM get him playing there and get someone else in playing alongside him.

As it stands we have no protective shield for the defence, same as last season, until we get that sorted out, we wont get back to the premiership anytime soon.

I also don't understand why Smallbone is playing dcm and not Charles. Is Charles not ready for championship football yet?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

How do you know we have no one lined up? Do you work for the club?

I don’t but no real noise about signings  also new arrivals (if we sign anyone)will need time to settle in .personally fed up with having the wool pulled over my eyes for the past 3/4 years

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Why the fuck is Shea Charles not starting? For £10m in the Champ, he’s a fucking DMC and Saints don’t have one on the pitch, and look at the result. Full backs need to work harder on stopping crosses coming in as well. 

Russell Martin isn’t going to last long if the side carries on leaking like this. 

That was a problem last season. Kwp and Perraud (and AMN) simply did not stop any crosses coming in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saintroyt said:

I don’t but no real noise about signings  also new arrivals (if we sign anyone)will need time to settle in .personally fed up with having the wool pulled over my eyes for the past 3/4 years

You can't move for Downes "noise" so no idea what you're on about. 

12 minutes ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

It's going to be another three weeks until we know what our squad is for the coming season, and another month after that before we have any idea who our best team is.  We'll be up and down until then.  Burnley started terribly last season and it turned out ok for them.

This is just a dose of reality of a club mid-transformation and having to get used to a lower quality of footballer on the pitch at St Marys.  I'm still quite positive about our prospects this season.  At least we have a clear identity and some intent.

They bought well, have a different style (one I'd like to see) of powerful front foot attacking as opposed to crab like stat passing, lower quality? We're selling our best players and retaining our worst, Bazunu, Stephens, Bednarek etc.

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

We spent £130m last year including £50m in January. We were relegated and as a result you have to feel some 'pain'. We've signed Manning and Charles. It's not like we are playing kids.

Yeah 130 m  on what ? Especially when we needed a quality striker and keeper.suppose I am just depressed 

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 4-4 Norwich
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic