Saints 4-4 Norwich

whelk

The concern is tonight’s opposition have demonstrated to every other competitive team how to take apart and nullify Martins system. Wednesday were not great and didn’t press enough, but still managed to score - Norwich will be more competent still and know exactly how to hurt us. The hope is that (a) our first team is getting better in the system and (b) that our remaining best players stay with us.

The importance of Saturdays game to repair tonight’s selection shambles and re-store some belief cannot be under-estimated. Martin is right about one thing…this club needs to get that winning feeling back.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
Clarity
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

And they have Ashley Barnes… 

I didn’t watch any of the game today, but I take it Che didn’t play too well considering he didn’t score. Who starts up front?

Onachu, just to defend set pieces. Only semi joking.

Really curious to see how Martín addresses the aerial issue.

7 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Keep the same team from Friday, maybe Adams for Armstrong, and forget Tuesday ever happened.

We are very fragile mentally though, one loss seems to always lead to a bad run with saints 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Keep the same team from Friday, maybe Adams for Armstrong, and forget Tuesday ever happened.

Absolutely. Thing is, with a squad the size we have you would expect 2-3 changes in a cup game would not overly affect the team performance, but Martin chose to change 11 players last night which clearly didn’t work. He’s introduced a problem for himself as there are a good number of players who he’ll naturally have lost a lot of trust in and heads will be hung low, even if he blames himself.

Needs to be nipped in the bud this Saturday which I’m sure he’ll attempt to do, although what players will still be available for selection could present an issue. There are not too many outside of the first 11 that can cope with the style of football Martin and Wilcox want, so he’s got a man-management headache of significant proportions.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Absolutely. Thing is, with a squad the size we have you would expect 2-3 changes in a cup game would not overly affect the team performance, but Martin chose to change 11 players last night which clearly didn’t work. He’s introduced a problem for himself as there are a good number of players who he’ll naturally have lost a lot of trust in and heads will be hung low, even if he blames himself.

Needs to be nipped in the bud this Saturday which I’m sure he’ll attempt to do, although what players will still be available for selection could present an issue. There are not too many outside of the first 11 that can cope with the style of football Martin and Wilcox want, so he’s got a man-management headache of significant proportions.

I've thought about that one, maybe it did work, maybe he wanted to see what the rest of the squad was like and now he knows. It could be invaluable information to the club whilst the window is still open, now he / they knowwhat we knew. 

• Like 3

We have lacked big physical players who can win headers and put themselves about for years.

It is the main reason we concede so many from set pieces.

Even if we sign another CB it does not solve the issue that the other 8 outfield players are lightweight when it comes to aerial duals.

It won’t matter how good this new set piece coach is if you have a team full of players who are not good in the air.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toussaint said:

I've thought about that one, maybe it did work, maybe he wanted to see what the rest of the squad was like and now he knows. It could be invaluable information to the club whilst the window is still open, now he / they knowwhat we knew. 

You may be right, but surely it’s contradictory to his statement that he wants us to re-create and maintain a winning mentality. Does any Manager genuinely deliberately risk defeat in that scenario?  He and his coaches should know from a full pre-season who he can trust in to deliver and who the strugglers are. Not only that, but I would wager that there are some decent players in last nights team selected, but it’ll be more difficult weeding the wheat from the chaff in playing an almost completely changed team.

Hopefully JWP will play and get a well deserved send off from the fans after leading us to victory. It would be a real shame if his last game ended in a defeat. 

We aren't going to suddenly start defending set pieces properly so we must not give away needless corners and freekicks. 

I'd start with Adams even though he was ineffective last night. Rest of the team picks itself. SAA will be a useful impact player off the bench should we need him.

8 minutes ago, northam soul said:

We have lacked big physical players who can win headers and put themselves about for years.

Even if we sign another CB it does not solve the issue that the other 8 outfield players are lightweight when it comes to aerial duals.

It won’t matter how good this new set piece coach is if you have a team full of players who are not good in the air.

Not only that, but we zonal mark meaning that the oppo team can move their tallest men into areas occupied by our shortest players. Double bubble in loading risk into set pieces. He’s got a massive challenge on his hands.

Me vs the wife for this one and bringing my daughter for her first game even though she probably won't be interested in the football (lack of childcare options).

Same as Wednesday please, just somehow with a bit more cutting edge.

25 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

The slight fly in this ointment is, if you throw eleven hopefuls together it is almost certain few of them will perform so you won't really learn much. Chucking together a patchwork team and expecting to see enough of them shine is a nonsense and not really fair on anybody. He'd have been better off blending a few hopefuls in rather than that car crash he presided over though I'm not suggesting it was all his fault. I'd rather start strong, get the game won then take players off. Sure, you risk an injury to someone key but you can't wrap players up in cotton wool all the time.

32 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Exactly yet we never seem to appreciate that you have to build a squad with enough height and physicality to compete. Still too many small, weak players in the squad. Get some big athletes in midfield and up front or we'll struggle and get bullied out of games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Hopefully JWP will play and get a well deserved send off from the fans after leading us to victory. It would be a real shame if his last game ended in a defeat.

I’ve got a sneaky feeling JWP had his winning send off on Friday night, not ITK, at my age I’m more Circle of Rust than C.O.T.

Got a feeling (particularly after last night) a compromise will be made with WHU in next few hours.

Still looking forward to getting back inside St Mary’s on Saturday, expecting a good contest - hopefully they don’t get any corners or free kicks around our box, too much to ask?

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I think you are catastrophising. We played shit last night, a line can be easily drawn under it and we move on.

45 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

I think you are catastrophising. We played shit last night, a line can be easily drawn under it and we move on.

Oh I don’t think so - a catastrophe would indicate there’s no hope and that’s not what I’m saying. There is a big question mark over the lack of winning mentality in the squad and there are a considerable number of players who are just not suited to play Martins style. The worst of this is some of the ones that are OK are likely to depart before the window closes and there’s no guarantee that we’ll replace with as good or better.

The outlook is not as rosy as some like to think but it’s not a disaster yet. A couple of losses and the window closing without squad repairs (e.g. a decent dedicated CB and striker) might give further cause for concern.

8 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Oh I don’t think so - a catastrophe would indicate there’s no hope and that’s not what I’m saying. There is a big question mark over the lack of winning mentality in the squad and there are a considerable number of players who are just not suited to play Martins style. The worst of this is some of the ones that are OK are likely to depart before the window closes and there’s no guarantee that we’ll replace with as good or better.

The outlook is not as rosy as some like to think but it’s not a disaster yet. A couple of losses and the window closing without squad repairs (e.g. a decent dedicated CB and striker) might give further cause for concern.

Yes there are issues with what the squad will look like once the transfer window is closed. But on your point on last nights game introducing a problem, I don't get that, the loss will be put down to the amount of changes and second string players not following instructions or being good enough. That won't affect the first team players and should concentrate the minds of the decent 2nd string players to push on. Martin can easily create a narrative that is both positive to the first team and demanding of the second team.

• Like 2

Will be an interesting atmosphere on Saturday. Getting dumped out of the cup by a League 2 side and showing the squad players and back ups as nowhere near good enough followed by selling captain and best player the morning after isn't going to do much for optimism....need to start well on Saturday. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Ralph did something similar at Newport two years ago and we won 8-0, that night the players were up for it and fighting to get in first team, sadly had opposite effect last night

Who will be the centre mid for this ? Smallbone and Charles - feels lightweight to say the least and more of a U23 offering 

The issues last season were a shit keeper, lack of commanding centre back, combative midfielder and a forward who can score. 

none of that has been addressed 

• Like 3

We really can’t go into this game with Smallbone and Charles as our midfield.

If Lavia is still here then play the fucker and let’s hope we can bring in someone by Friday.

He is  19 years old ffs, tell him to get out on that pitch and enjoy it especially as he is earning a shit load from us.

All this noise in the head bollox, it’s a game of fucking football so tie your laces and put a shift in.

Any negotiations for incoming players could be long drawn out affairs if we apply the same stance as our outgoings.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, northam soul said:

We really can’t go into this game with Smallbone and Charles as our midfield.

If Lavia is still here then play the fucker and let’s hope we can bring in someone by Friday.

He is  19 years old ffs, tell him to get out on that pitch and enjoy it especially as he is earning a shit load from us.

All this noise in the head bollox, it’s a game of fucking football so tie your laces and put a shift in.

Any negotiations for incoming players could be long drawn out affairs if we apply the same stance as our outgoings.

Armstrong, Alcaraz, Charles and Smallbone are our options for CM on Saturday, there is no chance Lavia plays. The deal is too close for him to be risked.

That midfield does feel incredibly lightweight, but we'll see what happens.

10 minutes ago, Dman said:

Bazunu

KWP 

Stephens 

Bednerak 

Manning

Charles 

Smallbone 

Stu

SAA 

Adams

Tella

No depth beyond that, kwp and Che set to leave as well.... Starting to look more and more like a 2nd tier team stuck in limbo. Transfers needed just to hold at that level. Better hope Wilcox has some cracking deals line up! 🤞🤞🤞

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

No depth beyond that, kwp and Che set to leave as well.... Starting to look more and more like a 2nd tier team stuck in limbo. Transfers needed just to hold at that level. Better hope Wilcox has some cracking deals line up! 🤞🤞🤞

Does certainly look worse when probably our best player in Alcaraz is left out.

The big question will be if we go for Charles/Smallbone/Alcaraz, or something a bit more attacking in Smallbone/Stu/Alcaraz this weekend. Realistically I doubt Stu is ready for a start, so it'll probably be the former.

• Like 1

Back 5 writes itself (for now)

Midfield will probably be Smallbone, Charles and Charly

Front three same as last week with possibly Adams starting over AA.

And yes just looking at that without JWP it looks weird. Dude hardly ever missed a game. It definitely needs strengthening, hopefully with JWP and Lavia out after the sales of Salisu, Tino, DCC and all the wages saved, we can start to bring players in. We need a whole new spine.

I think Charles needs to come in at CM. Should give us a bit more defending set pieces (and attacking them).

My friend is a Norwich fan and reckons they will probably sit quite deep so hopefully we can get a hold on the game.

Other than that, I would say last Friday's team picks itself, with the only question marks being Adams/Adam Armstrong and Edozie/SAA/Stu Armstrong. 

Last night's humiliation and today's news of Ward Prowse's exit will have left the Club in a state of semi-disarray whilst confidence in Martin's coaching staff will have been dented especially as he did a barely disguised good job of distancing himself from the Cup match result by blaming his players. Not the best of circumstances to head into our first home match of the new season.

These events are far too recent to be glossed over and the mood on the training ground must be sober rather than optimistic. The team needs a lift and it's not easy to see who has the ability to do the lifting at least not in this short timescale. I'm expecting a difficult few days spilling over into Saturday's game. I just can't see the team harmony on display for the Sheff Weds match being repeated so expect Saints to go down 1-3 to a canny Norwich,

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Norwich build up - Saturday 3pm
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 4-4 Norwich
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic