Saints 4-4 Norwich

whelk

OMG how bad is our defense. Bednerak is an absolute car crash even at this level. Stephens... not a great deal better while Manning and KWP have zero protection (not with standing Manning balls up for there 4th) as for Bazuna... the disallowed goal from the free kick got him out of jail because that was bloody awful. He has to push that wide even though I think he is close enough to hold it. 

Could be an exciting season... and cant see this defence being strong enough for an automatic promotion spot. 

Adams head looks else where to me...but that Sam kid looks amazing. 

• Haha 1

Awesome going forward, defensively a disaster. Alcaraz is unplayable in this league. IF there were any prem scouts at the game then he will be gone by the end of the month. 

The new set piece coach has got his work cut out. Sell ABK or bedders quickly and bring in some strength / pace at CB.

Just now, wild-saint said:

Awesome going forward, defensively a disaster. Alcaraz is unplayable in this league. IF there were any prem scouts at the game then he will be gone by the end of the month. 

The new set piece coach has got his work cut out. Sell ABK or bedders quickly and bring in some strength / pace at CB.

No we are not. Not at all.

• Haha 1

I'm not proud of an insurance bet when it was 3-3, but I am happy I cashed out just before we got the equaliser. 

A draw was deserved that game but we need to both improve defensively and keep hold of our attacking talent.

My daughter's first game, my wife quietly sat next to me (she yelped when Sara scored), all in all I've had a good day that Saints could have ruined!

I'm no statto but I'm prepared to bet a reasonable sum that we have never drawn 4-4 in the last home fixture of one season and then drawn 4-4 in the first home fixture of the following season.

Only managed to watch last 15 minutes which was long enough to see we are appalling at the back and good up front. The former simply has to improve - A LOT - or we ain't going up. Sort it Martin, football is played in two halves, it ain't all about pretty passing triangles up front.

• Like 1

Just now, ButtikonSaint said:

crasy game... at least more entertaining than last year's dross...
Whilst Charly remains out most potent creative and attacking force, the SAA kid looks the real deal.
Less said of our defense the better

what i like about both of them they are both happy to drive at the defence and in charly's case shoot and nearly always hit the target.

• Like 5

Well it was certainly interesting.

Can't get promoted being so fundamentally easy to play through and incapable of defending in the air. 

I'll go on record early doors as stating Russell Martin will turn out to be a Poundland Brendan Rodgers. 

But it was a good old laugh. Which is something - replacing the weekly doom and gloom with slapstick. 

My Takeaway is this: 

Keeper is a liability put some reddies on the table and replace with experience. 

Stephens and Bednarek I'm sorry but even at this level they are pretty average. 

Midfield is a bit weak. 

We need at minimum:

1 GK who can actually save a football.

1 centre back who can defend and actually is comfortable on ball. 

A midfielder who is a destroyer type straight in no messing about whack! Get the ball and link the attack again don't cut corners experience! 

Any reddies left over then a new striker 

3 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

They all had a good look last season, but seemingly no takers...yet. got to try and keep him or we will have almost nothing left quality wise.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Just need to shift ABK, Lyanco and Simeu ..and McCarthy. 

If ABK is actually injured rather than 'injured' he'd probably be well suited to this defensive approach.

Wonder if the link to Holgate is because he's got some element of recovery pace.

Edited by Baird of the land
  • Like 1

That has to be one of the poorest off the ball performances I’ve ever seen from a Saints side I can remember. Utterly woeful. Zero shape or organisation. Total football going forward, total chaos defensively.

Having a GK who can save shots would be helpful.

Edited by Crab Lungs
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 4-4 Norwich

Stephens is the new captain so he will be playing. We need someone comfortable with the ball at their feet along side him and a good defensive mid to help protect.

we should be calling city and getting Harwood-Bellis in, he’s never going to play for City and only has a year left on his contract I believe. If we don’t someone else will…

Oh man, that was exhausting even watching a small streaming screen with no sound (thanks for the link and big fat fail for SaintsPlayer which was paid for and didn't work - admin, please note and send message to club).

Plenty to be encouraged about. Thank goodness we equalised at the end - thoroughly deserved something out of that and should probably have edged it.

Defensive frailties need to be resolved. Terrible defending from the corner for their third...and did we only have 10 men on the field for their fourth against the run of play.

I like our possession football and we had twice as many shots as they did. We will winn plenty of games this season if we play like this BUT must be more solid in defence. Bednarek and Stephens will always have a mistake in them every game. 

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

If ABK is actually injured rather than 'injured' he'd probably be well suited to this defensive approach.

Wonder if the link to Holgate is because he's got some element of recovery pace.

I think unlike Sulemana he really is injured (on way back from injury). ABK would be ideal. He has a mistake in him, but he has pace and power. Realistically he's not going to be here.

3 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

That has to be one of the poorest off the ball performances I’ve ever seen from a Saints side I can remember. Utterly woeful. Zero shape or organisation. Total football going forward, total chaos defensively.

Sounds like midfield not doing their job right and poor positionally?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Why have we spent £15m On a defensive midfielder and don’t play him when he’s the only one available in that postion?

I think his passing was excellent when he came on. And he sacrificed a yellow card for the team. He starts for me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Sounds like midfield not doing their job right and poor positionally?

We had no defensive midfielder until Charles came on so there were numerous times when Norwich strolled through acres of open space at will.

This meant the CB's were badly exposed, see their second for an example where the player had loads of time to pick a spot.

As neat and tidy as Smallbone is he isn't a CDM and won't be able to cope with the defensive part of that role. I think Charles needs to play, although it did make for a very exciting, open game.

• Like 1

None of the goals today was Baz fault. We still need a more experienced GK that isn't McCarthy. 

Great game from Alcaraz and Smallbone.

Tella didn't do much and neither did any of the Armstrongs. Edozie ok. Adams great goal. Charles did fine. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

ABK has great recovery pace and would surely monster this league if his head is in the right place. We persuade him to stick around, and play him with Bednarek; that would improve things at the back 

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

We had no defensive midfielder until Charles came on so there were numerous times when Norwich strolled through acres of open space at will.

This meant the CB's were badly exposed, see their second for an example where the player had loads of time to pick a spot.

As neat and tidy as Smallbone is he isn't a CDM and won't be able to cope with the defensive part of that role. I think Charles needs to play, although it did make for a very exciting, open game.

100% agree

• Like 2

Had a great time today, been a while since I’ve thought that at St Mary’s. Feel like we’ll score 4 goals playing like that a lot of a time, not sure we’ll concede 4.

Delighted with Shea’s cameo too, the issue first half was with the unbalanced midfield. 

Che has to start whenever he’s here.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Isn't that the basis of trying to win any football match?

Not really. You can have a tactic where you intend  to score 2 or 3 (some teams even aim to score 9) more goals than the opposition, rather than just 1.

Edited by wadesmith

Disappointing to concede 4 goals, and to have generally defended so poorly, but also important to remember that we have a new system that the players will still be getting used to.  The fact we scored 4 is a big positive.  Once the midfield is more settled I expect we will control games better than we did today, which will help defensively.

Hopefully we strengthen at both ends of the pitch in the coming weeks

5 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Exactly this

I think even with the current squad set up right now, a dominating CB is also our priority… its not going to be the easiest find, but I think we need a CB both good in the air and able enough in possession and in 1 v 1 situations

Outside of anything else it looks our most needed reinforcement to me

Behind that, a CM to provide competition and probably a GK to take Baz out of the firing line

8 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Contrary to recent seasons…we will win more than we will lose this season. 
As Swansea fans stated…we will concede with ease,especially with our supposed defence. 

I thought we'd concede goals due to misplaced passes by CBs asked to do more than they are capable of. Overplaying etc. Was that the case today?