Flynn Downes

manji

He's 25, and played handful of minutes in prem, played more in league one, I don't think there would be much competition from prem. I would imagine if we were a current prem side and signed him it would be slated on here!

Having said that 100% want us to keep him, whichever division we are in. 

He clearly is a good player, and rates Martin. Wouldn't be surprised if he wants to stay, including if we don't go up.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Very surprised that the COT have been beaten to the punch on this one. 

Come on lads, up your game. 

Check the CoT thread, we clearly said we’d return in June after a VERY busy January, that said we havent missed it you can see on the thread….

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, West end Saints said:

He's 25, and played handful of minutes in prem, played more in league one, I don't think there would be much competition from prem. I would imagine if we were a current prem side and signed him it would be slated on here!

Having said that 100% want us to keep him, whichever division we are in. 

He clearly is a good player, and rates Martin. Wouldn't be surprised if he wants to stay, including if we don't go up.

Or to give a comparison, this is a similar level of time trusted to play in prem as JWP had when he was 18, by 25 he had been playing regularly in prem for 7 seasons.

Definitely the right level for us in championship and hopefully straight forward deal for both parties.

Edited by West end Saints

My only concern with Downes is that he's had a few "slight knocks" that turn out to be longer term injuries. Just makes me ponder if there's an underlying issue there somewhere, or if it's just a case of him being a tad unlucky this season. If we do sign him then the next thing we need to do is make sure we've got a better back up option available than we had this season....

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, trousers said:

My only concern with Downes is that he's had a few "slight knocks" that turn out to be longer term injuries. Just makes me ponder if there's an underlying issue there somewhere, or if it's just a case of him being a tad unlucky this season. If we do sign him then the next thing we need to do is make sure we've got a better back up option available than we had this season....

Not only back up, but I’d like to see Downes playing with a bit of a ball winning ‘enforcer’ next to him. A ‘Wanyama’ or ‘Romeu’ type with Downes the more creative one of the duo

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Badger said:

Not only back up, but I’d like to see Downes playing with a bit of a ball winning ‘enforcer’ next to him. A ‘Wanyama’ or ‘Romeu’ type with Downes the more creative one of the duo

Someone like Shea Charles... 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Unless he comes on a free we’ll not be signing him in the Championship. We’re broke without a return to the Prem.

I'm not sure where your 'broke' angle is coming from, I've noticed you saying this on multiple threads. Are you ITK about something?

Sure, we won't be as flush, but if we're still in this league next year we will still be competitive financially. We made more last summer than any Championship club has ever made, which helped us offset our horrible window the previous year. If we fail this summer we'll still be looking to potentially recoup £60m+, with the sales of AA, KWP, Bednarek to name a few (there will probably be a surprise in there as well). Let's not forget the huge wages on McCarthy, Stu Armstrong and Adams being saved.

IF we fail next year (if we're still down here) then I'd start to buy into the financial struggle bits, but we won't be skint next year. We'll still be able to compete (if our recruitment is right)

Edited by S-Clarke

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I'm not sure where your 'broke' angle is coming from, I've noticed you saying this on multiple threads. Are you ITK about something?

Sure, we won't be as flush, but if we're still in this league next year we will still be competitive financially. We made more last summer than any Championship club has ever made, which helped us offset our horrible window the previous year. If we fail this summer we'll still be looking to potentially recoup £60m+, with the sales of AA, KWP, Bednarek to name a few (there will probably be a surprise in there as well). Let's not forget the huge wages on McCarthy, Stu Armstrong and Adams being saved.

IF we fail next year (if we're still down here) then I'd start to buy into the financial struggle bits, but we won't be skint next year. We'll still be able to compete (if our recruitment is right)

That's how I see it. 

New gk 

Bree Stephens new cb Manning 

Charles Smallbone 

Armstrong Dibling Amo-Ameyaw 

Ballard Stewart 

Maybe bring in Fraser on reduced wages, loan in a decent dm again, an Am and a winger and a Mara replacement. 

Sell lose or loan off the wage bill

McCarthy 

Onuachu 

Caleta Carr 

Bella Kotchap 

Lyanco 

Perraud 

Sulemana 

Adams 

Kwp 

Bednarek 

Aribo 

Mara

That should reduce things significantly. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I’m not claiming ITK status - don’t need to. Yes, I’ve been told by someone away from this forum our financial situation is not healthy without a return to the Prem. Players of Downes talent/pricing will likely be a pipe-dream if we don’t go up. The debts left by Goa are substantive apparently and need servicing due to crippling interest. If you think otherwise that’s fine.

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

That's how I see it. 

New gk 

Charles Smallbone 

Ballard Stewart 

Maybe bring in Fraser on reduced wages, loan in a decent dm again, an Am and a winger and a Mara replacement. 

McCarthy 

Onuachu 

Caleta Carr 

Bella Kotchap 

Lyanco 

Perraud 

Sulemana 

Adams 

Kwp 

Bednarek 

Aribo 

Mara

That team (and certainly the defence) looks horribly mid-table to me - but good you're giving young players a go.  I also like how you've countered the inexperience and lack of quality by sneaking in 12 players into the first XI.  💪

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, malcolm waldron said:

That team (and certainly the defence) looks horribly mid-table to me - but good you're giving young players a go.  I also like how you've countered the inexperience and lack of quality by sneaking in 12 players into the first XI.  💪

Good spot! My guess is we will be aiming for playoffs next year. I definitely want some of the young players to have more of an opportunity next year if we stay down. We definitely need a few more, I was working more on the basis like some have claimed that we are skint and even if that's true, we'd be able to put out a team of half decent players. 

12 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

That's how I see it. 

New gk 

Charles Smallbone 

Ballard Stewart 

good god - even with 12 I still wouldn't fancy that against many in this division. That side looks absoultely dreadful. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

That's how I see it. 

New gk 

Charles Smallbone 

Ballard Stewart 

McCarthy 

Onuachu 

Caleta Carr 

Bella Kotchap 

Lyanco 

Perraud 

Sulemana 

Adams 

Kwp 

Bednarek 

Aribo 

Mara

There is zero chance our first team will not be significantly stronger than that. 

If all of those leave they mostly replaced with first 11 signings.

For a start reckon we will  probably have at least two of Fraser, Downes, Rothwell, Brookes, THB.

Edited by West end Saints

18 minutes ago, Dman said:

good god - even with 12 I still wouldn't fancy that against many in this division. That side looks absoultely dreadful. 

Not sure I agree with you there. 

Presumably gk will be an upgrade 

If we get a THB replacement in and possibly a new rb that defence isn't hugely different from now 

Agree we need a Downes replacement but Charles will have had another year of growth and will hopefully have some improvements. Smallbone and Armstrong have been consistently in the team all year. Amo Ameyew was unlucky imo to not get more games this year and should be another year older so no reason he can't be successful and you'd have Fraser there as well hopefully and then if we are going with 11 rather than 12 you'd have Stewart up top who may be an upgrade on Adams for all we know. I also forgot about Edozie who would probably play too. 

No doubt we will get in a couple of attacking loans in or a canny winger signing to replace the ones who leave but I don't see what's so horrendous about that team. I think with a couple of additions that could make the playoffs again. 

4 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

There is zero chance our first team will not be significantly stronger than that. 

If all of those leave they mostly replaced with first 11 signings.

For a start reckon we will  probably have at least two of Fraser, Downes, Rothwell, Brookes, THB.

I mentioned Fraser, I can't see us signing Downes, certainly not THB and Rothwell has been crap. We could do a deal for Brookes but I'm underwhelmed by his performances on the whole. 

Like I said, I was working on the basis that what Saint Cam said was true and we were skint. Given that scenario, my point was we can still put out a half decent team. If we have more funds then we definitely need a Downes replacement and a replacement if Aribo leaves and possibly another striker option. 

• Like 1

Why not Downes? 

He clearly likes it here, loves playing for Martin and has his best form under him. Plus , as I said in earlier posts, a 25 year old predominantly championship / league 1 player is unlikely to have many bigger clubs after him (plus with his injury record).

We may not be loaded, but we made a fortune last summer, plus will cash in on players out on loan. I don't think we will need to sell from first team to be able to sign Downes plus others.

32 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

Why not Downes? 

He clearly likes it here, loves playing for Martin and has his best form under him. Plus , as I said in earlier posts, a 25 year old predominantly championship / league 1 player is unlikely to have many bigger clubs after him (plus with his injury record).

We may not be loaded, but we made a fortune last summer, plus will cash in on players out on loan. I don't think we will need to sell from first team to be able to sign Downes plus others.

If we signed Downes I'd be delighted but I expect he will have some prem offers in the lower half of the table. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I’m not claiming ITK status - don’t need to. Yes, I’ve been told by someone away from this forum our financial situation is not healthy without a return to the Prem. Players of Downes talent/pricing will likely be a pipe-dream if we don’t go up. The debts left by Goa are substantive apparently and need servicing due to crippling interest. If you think otherwise that’s fine.

Sounds like SR/Ankersen are leaking their excuses early, blaming the mess we'll be in on Gao if we don't go up.

Nothing to do of course with their terrible player signings (wasting tens of millions), the awful managers they chose (costing millions in compensation to boot), plus the massive cherry on top of their turd, getting us relegated.

Edited by Dark Munster
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, West end Saints said:

Why not Downes? 

And now on twitter reports are that we will look to sign him if we go up but otherwise he's getting a chance at West ham which to be honest was always the most likely outcome. 

• Like 1

On 08/05/2024 at 01:51, Saint Fan CaM said:

If what you say is the case regarding our finances, why did the club gamble with Martin and his possession based style? Wouldn’t it have been a better idea that once we went down to appoint a manager with experience of getting promoted to the Premier League? And not gamble with a young relatively inexperienced manager? 

I hope you’re wrong and Dragan covers the costs, but wonder for how long he will continue to invest before saying enough is enough? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

If what you say is the case regarding our finances, why did the club gamble with Martin and his possession based style? Wouldn’t it have been a better idea that once we went down to appoint a manager with experience of getting promoted to the Premier League? And not gamble with a young relatively inexperienced manager? 

I hope you’re wrong and Dragan covers the costs, but wonder for how long he will continue to invest before saying enough is enough? 

Still amazes me people still trot out this line. Not just because people rarely actually name a realistic name that fits that criteria but even more so considering the final league positions and the managers experience. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Still amazes me people still trot out this line. Not just because people rarely actually name a realistic name that fits that criteria but even more so considering the final league positions and the managers experience. 

Yeah, Everyone thought we'd be able to get Graham Potter. Still makes me laugh.

• Like 1

The new WH manager is not going to say he does not want FD sight unseen.

Most new managers want to keep options open and see such a player in the flesh first.

If there is a MF player he falls in love with but he needs sell FD to Saints ( or a n other) well, that’s what will happen. 

My personal view is that FD probably suits his style of play but if he needs sell-to-buy ( which is probable) then it’s a possible we may be able to buy FD IF lopetgui has fallen in love with some other top player and needs the funds.  - if we offer more than other clubs who undoubtedly know his qualities do that is- including wages. 
All in all I’d say odds against us atm. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Thing is, Martin was not inexperienced. He was known to have a particular style of management/coaching which suited the club strategy (remember, he was hired by Jason W), had Championship experience at a high level with Swansea and they spent money either keeping good players here (KWP) or bringing in good players (Downes, Fraser etc), meaning that in theory he should do better than his time at Swansea. He’s done that and to a large extent helped recover the terrible vibe around the club from last season by winning many more games. The problem he’s faced is there are 3-4 very strong other Managers/teams in the league also.

I don’t think SR / Dragan have the funds to inject to maintain things as they stand - there will be what some will call a firesale in the summer with our best players gone to fund the debt.  And unless there’s a buy-out we’ll be back where we were years ago pre-Markus playing largely kids, but don’t hold your breath for a saviour this time. I’m no Nostradamus but I’d hazard a guess that promotion is vital. Mind you, that still brings problems…where’s the money coming from to buy new players fit for the Prem?

15 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Sounds like SR/Ankersen are leaking their excuses early, blaming the mess we'll be in on Gao if we don't go up.

Nothing to do of course with their terrible player signings (wasting tens of millions), the awful managers they chose (costing millions in compensation to boot), plus the massive cherry on top of their turd, getting us relegated.

I think the key point here is SR have risked much on an immediate return to the Prem. Not achieving that will leave a huge hole in the finances that will need plugging somehow. Guess what the most liquid asset the club holds is?

2 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

it shouldn’t amaze you. 

There are plenty of managers with more experience that we could have got. 

Martin was (and is) a huge gamble based on his record. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dr. Kucho said:

If what you say is the case regarding our finances, why did the club gamble with Martin and his possession based style?

You do know that Leicester won the league with an average of 62% possession, right? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

it shouldn’t amaze you. 

There are plenty of managers with more experience that we could have got. 

Martin was (and is) a huge gamble based on his record. 

Go on…

On 08/05/2024 at 11:21, hypochondriac said:

If we signed Downes I'd be delighted but I expect he will have some prem offers in the lower half of the table. 

Possibly, but none were impressed enough by what he did at West Ham to sign him last summer, so why would they now feel he is the player they need this summer? He's done well for us, but it's performances in the championship, where he impressed for Swansea. I'm not sure there will be a long queue. If we have the funds, I think he'll be joining us...although the two promoted clubs might be the fly in the ointment. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gio1saints said:

The new WH manager is not going to say he does not want FD sight unseen.

Most new managers want to keep options open and see such a player in the flesh first.

If there is a MF player he falls in love with but he needs sell FD to Saints ( or a n other) well, that’s what will happen. 

My personal view is that FD probably suits his style of play but if he needs sell-to-buy ( which is probable) then it’s a possible we may be able to buy FD IF lopetgui has fallen in love with some other top player and needs the funds.  - if we offer more than other clubs who undoubtedly know his qualities do that is- including wages. 
All in all I’d say odds against us atm. 

Flynn will do everything he can to stay at West Ham, he is a lifelong West Ham fan, and it was his dream move to go there. It was just that Moyes didn't fancy him (I know, he was signed under Moyes and given a 5 year contract with a one year option), but now he's gone (or going) everything is back on the table and I think it unlikely that he will be with us next season, though I do think we are second favourites. Really don't think he would look for a move elsewhere. Shame because he is a quality player and key to our success.

5 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I think the key point here is SR have risked much on an immediate return to the Prem. Not achieving that will leave a huge hole in the finances that will need plugging somehow. Guess what the most liquid asset the club holds is?

Us at the pub? Oh no, we're being sold! 🙂

On 07/05/2024 at 21:28, hypochondriac said:

That's how I see it. 

New gk 

Charles Smallbone 

Ballard Stewart 

McCarthy 

Onuachu 

Caleta Carr 

Bella Kotchap 

Lyanco 

Perraud 

Sulemana 

Adams 

Kwp 

Bednarek 

Aribo 

Mara

That looks pretty accurate although I though Lyanco had been sold. I bet a lot of those 'solds' will be further loans as it is a buyers market at the moment. FFP has made a lot of clubs nervous I suspect.

I'd like to see Bendarek stay, he'll struggle to get a Prem place outside of Saints and I doubt he'll be interested in another relegation fight. I also think Aribo will stay unless the club want to resolve his high wages. Shea Charles will be interesting as well. I quite like him but I guess others see gaps in his performances I'm blind to.

I think you forgot Edozie, he'll take Frazer's place. Plus we have Meghoma and Larius as LB candidates.

That front line of Stewart, Ballard, supported by Armstrong, SAA, and Dibling is going to loosen the splinchter of a few Championship sides but I can't see the midfield standing up to much of an onslaught.

Fair to say that if the youngsters aren't given a route through to the first team we may as well close the academy as they'll be off.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, macca155 said:

That looks pretty accurate although I though Lyanco had been sold. I bet a lot of those 'solds' will be further loans as it is a buyers market at the moment. FFP has made a lot of clubs nervous I suspect.

I'd like to see Bendarek stay, he'll struggle to get a Prem place outside of Saints and I doubt he'll be interested in another relegation fight. I also think Aribo will stay unless the club want to resolve his high wages. Shea Charles will be interesting as well. I quite like him but I guess others see gaps in his performances I'm blind to.

I think you forgot Edozie, he'll take Frazer's place. Plus we have Meghoma and Larius as LB candidates.

That front line of Stewart, Ballard, supported by Armstrong, SAA, and Dibling is going to loosen the splinchter of a few Championship sides but I can't see the midfield standing up to much of an onslaught.

Fair to say that if the youngsters aren't given a route through to the first team we may as well close the academy as they'll be off.

Good post. You're right that I forgot Edozie and that does make our options look pretty strong still. It is inevitable that we will make extra signings to replace some of the loans from this year. Like you I'm hoping that we can give some of the youngsters more of a chance. If we don't do it in the championship then they aren't more likely to get in the team in a higher division. I'm not sure Martin is a big fan of throwing the youth in. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CSA96 said:

He is so, so good. Can see why Martin and Wilcox/Ankersen dug their heels in on making sure he came the other way during the JWP negotiations

I'm not going to get into the "who's better?" debate but he definitely has attributes that JWP lacked, IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trousers said:

I'm not going to get into the "who's better?" debate but he definitely has attributes that JWP lacked, IMO.

I'm a big fan of Downes, but I don't think we can say that until he's played PL football for a considerable/consistent amount of time. He needs to do what he is doing at a higher level before we can be fair on any comparisons.

18 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'm a big fan of Downes, but I don't think we can say that until he's played PL football for a considerable/consistent amount of time. He needs to do what he is doing at a higher level before we can be fair on any comparisons.

I was commenting on attributes, not what level those attributes are currently at. For example, Downes appears to have a natural instinct to drive forwards with the ball whereas JWP is more of a distributor of the ball. Different attributes (that may or may not be as  effective at a higher level of course).

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

I was commenting on attributes, not what level those attributes are currently at. For example, Downes appears to have a natural instinct to drive forwards with the ball whereas JWP is more of a distributor of the ball. Different attributes (that may or may not be as  effective at a higher level of course).

Ah sorry, fair enough. Yeah I think they're slightly different type's of midfielders, Downes is your typical box to box, high energy type CM. Whereas Prowse is more of a sitting pivot type, who will just let the ball flow through him to facilitate moves. I did like JWP when he played more advanced though, I think he did possesses attacking drive, but the role he played for us (and how limited were were in CM) kind of forced us to dilute his role in open play.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Terrific player and the pivot and heartbeat of this side. I fancy us to hang on to the Brentwood colossus if we go up next Sunday. We need to go up! 

I think if we go up we will try everything we can to get him and I believe he really does want to stay here given Martin and his coaching staff completely believe in him BUT West Ham hold all the cards......hopefully for once they will put their money where their mouth is and actually sign one of these world class midfield players they always seem to chase ! 

7 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I think if we go up we will try everything we can to get him and I believe he really does want to stay here given Martin and his coaching staff completely believe in him BUT West Ham hold all the cards......hopefully for once they will put their money where their mouth is and actually sign one of these world class midfield players they always seem to chase ! 

They already have a world class midfielder to be fair and I fully expect him to replace KDB at City this summer.