Flynn Downes

manji

9 minutes ago, manji said:

Russell Martin confirmed. “We would have conceded fewer goals today with him “

Just like Swansea were defensively miserly with him?

Load of bollocks. Downes is a much needed extra warm body, but not the aerially and physically dominant midfielder we're crying out for. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Not sure why he didn’t play the CDM he already fucking has

And if he HAD played him and we'd conceded it would have been "WHY DID HE PLAY CHARLES AFTER SUCH A POOR SHOWING?! SURELY ARMSTRONG WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER THERE WITH ALL HIS EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!"

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

And if he HAD played him and we'd conceded it would have been "WHY DID HE PLAY CHARLES AFTER SUCH A POOR SHOWING?! SURELY ARMSTRONG WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER THERE WITH ALL HIS EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!"

Not really, because he isn’t a CDM, and I said pre match.. we need a CDM

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Never heard of him. Any good, was he on loan anywhere last season?

I'd describe him as an out and out CDM, gets stuck in, wins the ball, physical but technically very good. There were a fair few clubs sniffing (I think we were one of them) when he was at Swansea, but he ended up going to WHU for £15m.

Interestingly signing Downes from Ipswich was one of the stipulations Martin put onto the Swansea owners when he moved there.

A top Championship CDM, hasn't been given a huge opportunity at WHU to be fair - certainly could do a job at the top level, so we're fortunate to get him in my eyes.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Sort of player we needed today, someone steady and able to tackle. We seemed allergic to tackling in the midfield today.

Spot on. While Smallbone is tidy and offers a great outlet in the CM role, can intercept and anticipate passes and play a decent ball, he is exceptionally weak in the tackle. I lost count yesterday of the number of times he arrived after the ball had been played and wafted a leg at his oppo. Downes will fill that position (CDM) and allow Will to push further up where he is more effective. 

In currEnt formation he replaces Will not plays with him. Given neither Stu or Charlie are much coo at defending I would have thought it more likely that one of those two would make way not Will. I felt the Will/JWP axis seemed to work quite well the little we saw them together so depending on who we are playing and who is fit it’s perm 3 from 4 - but that discounts Shea entirely. I wonder how and when Shea plays then as he is clearly earmarked as a big future prospect. 

I asked my West Ham supporting pal about him, he said: “I rate him. Not an exciting player but a very consistent one. I was surprised he didn’t get picked ahead of Soucek towards the end of the season but I think Moyes was just hoping Souey would chip in with the occasional headed goal”.

8 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I asked my West Ham supporting pal about him, he said: “I rate him. Not an exciting player but a very consistent one. I was surprised he didn’t get picked ahead of Soucek towards the end of the season but I think Moyes was just hoping Souey would chip in with the occasional headed goal”.

He’s pretty popular with West Ham fans by all accounts and Moyes seems to rate him highly so a bit of a coup to pull this one off. I doubt it’ll be loan with option to buy on promotion as we all know SR are writing this season off as far as promotion goes 

• Haha 2

Great signing and just what we need ie a midfield player who likes a tackle and knows how to make one. I'd still like us to sign Grimes because of his passing range. I think a midfield of Downes, Smallbone and Grimes would be awesome and we could push Alcatraz higher up the pitch where he's more dangerous.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

Great signing and just what we need ie a midfield player who likes a tackle and knows how to make one. I'd still like us to sign Grimes because of his passing range. I think a midfield of Downes, Smallbone and Grimes would be awesome and we could push Alcatraz higher up the pitch where he's more dangerous.

Ideal 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

I have to say when the question was put at last nights forum about whether or not Flynn Downes was coming, there was a very low key 'yes' from Jason Wilcox.

It didnt seem too positive.

It was a definitive yes. 

Whether he lives to regret that we'll see but it was as close as they could have gone to confirming it outside of Flynn walking out at that exact moment like Kevin Keegan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Flynn Downes