Flynn Downes

manji

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

Doesn't look like he's going to sign/be fit for Saturday then. The worry for me is that neither Alcaraz or Armstrong seem to be able to last a whole match (Alcaraz did last week but looked pretty leggy by the end). Plus I'm not sure I fancy S.Armstrong in CM in a tricky away game.

Could be goals galore again on Saturday. 

Could be a really good opportunity for Kamari Doyle to get some minutes tbh.

• Like 6

Is everyone believing this stomach bug story  then? By pure coincidence just happened to strike when his medical was due to take place, maybe I'm a cynic but something not right with this deal 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, JRM said:

Is everyone believing this stomach bug story  then? By pure coincidence just happened to strike when his medical was due to take place, maybe I'm a cynic but something not right with this deal 

I felt that this amounted to feet dragging on his part.  Bet if say Leicester came in for him the Imodium would have worked miracles😂

28 minutes ago, JRM said:

The timing is extremely unfortunate I’ll give you that. 

But as this isn’t part of the JWP deal if he didn’t want to come here saying no thanks to the move is easier and simpler than a fabricated story about food poisoning.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JRM said:

Footballers get stomach bugs...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, JRM said:

What do you think then? Downes decided to refuse to come and then we briefed to journalists that he has a stomach bug and then our director of football and manager said he was coming whilst we desperately tried to persuade him behind the scenes? Likely? 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JRM said:

Nope. Even if he was a bit poorly, the medical and signing could have been done. 

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What do you think then? Downes decided to refuse to come and then we briefed to journalists that he has a stomach bug and then our director of football and manager said he was coming whilst we desperately tried to persuade him behind the scenes? Likely? 

Could be holding out for a premier league club, or to stay at West Ham

21 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

OK so we made up a story about food poisoning? 

Spin is part of the publicity side of the game.

I can't believe that anyone thinks that a transfer failed to complete because a player had a bad tummy. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

I can't believe that anyone thinks that a transfer failed to complete because a player had a bad tummy. 

By all accounts the Medical hasn't' even happened yet. It isn't the fact it's failed a medical, more that he hasn't arrived for it in the first place.

2 minutes ago, egg said:

I've got no idea and neither do you. I have had terrible food poisoning though and I was in no position to do anything. Either he comes and no drama or he doesn't and Martin and Wilcox look like idiots. Let's see if he signs next week. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I've got no idea and neither do you. I have had terrible food poisoning though and I was in no position to do anything. Either he comes and no drama or he doesn't and Martin and Wilcox look like idiots. Let's see if he signs next week. 

Oh the transfer may happen, my point is that I don't believe bad tummy is the reasons for the delay. If it happens, I suspect it's because time was needed to iron out some financial or contractual issue.

And yes, neither of us know the truth. 

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Oh the transfer may happen, my point is that I don't believe bad tummy is the reasons for the delay. If it happens, I suspect it's because time was needed to iron out some financial or contractual issue.

And yes, neither of us know the truth. 

Well we have no idea do we and if he does sign it's irrelevant anyway. This only becomes a problem if he doesn't end up signing so for now I'm happy to wait and trust what Martin says - he's been pretty open thus far. 

Some ridiculous tin foil hat thinking on here. Unfortunate timing yes but footballers can get ill too, the bloke could well be laid up in bed and in no fit state to do a medical etc.

If he didn't want to come I'm sure he'd have told us and we would have moved on, rather than everyone concocting a story about food poisoning. I highly doubt Martin would be speaking in such definite terms if he wasn't sure it was happening.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Some ridiculous tin foil hat thinking on here. Unfortunate timing yes but footballers can get ill too, the bloke could well be laid up in bed and in no fit state to do a medical etc.

If he didn't want to come I'm sure he'd have told us and we would have moved on, rather than everyone concocting a story about food poisoning. I highly doubt Martin would be speaking in such definite terms if he wasn't sure it was happening.

Exactly. There really isn't a need to concoct some story. We coukd just say that negotiations are ongoing or not mention it at all. The manager knows Downes and probably spoke to him ages ago. It seems very unlikely to me that he would agree things and then back out. It may just be a loan anyway so doesn't really cost him anything. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

and failing.

Fair one. Having had the very shitty end of gastroenteritis myself, it wipes you out for a good while. Last thing I’d want to be doing is be puking and shitting all over my new workplace every half hour. What a way to announce yourself 😂

Edited by Crab Lungs
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Bunch of cad sunts on here....

Have a bit of patience 

No need to wet the mattress just yet....

Jesus wept! 

No bed wetting petal, just me not buying a bad tummy story. 

45 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Food poisoning is always a good way to get a few days off work sick, make of that what you will. 

You ever had food poisoning. One of the worst experiences ever. I never took time off work. I went into work they after getting concussion from getting hit by a girder.

also worked with a broken arm. Rank stupidity in hindsight but I was off for 4 days with food poisoning just by eating dodgy coleslaw..

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Not sure I agree with him on this point, unless Smallbones injury is worse than originally let on? or someone is leaving..

Realistically, we have more than enough coverage in all 3 midfield positions (I'm gonna go hipster and use numbers now) 

Downes, Charles, Smallbone 

Smallbone, Downes

Alcaraz, Stu, Aribo

Maybe, at a push, we're a touch light in the 8 (box to box, traditional CM whatever you wanna call it), but if we were to bring in 1 more - lets be honest, probably grimes, it'll mean one of Smallbone, Charles or Downes missing out each week - all would expect to start and it feels like it would be difficult to keep that dynamic happy. 

14 minutes ago, Dman said:

Not sure I agree with him on this point, unless Smallbones injury is worse than originally let on? or someone is leaving..

Realistically, we have more than enough coverage in all 3 midfield positions (I'm gonna go hipster and use numbers now) 

Downes, Charles, Smallbone 

Smallbone, Downes

Alcaraz, Stu, Aribo

Maybe, at a push, we're a touch light in the 8 (box to box, traditional CM whatever you wanna call it), but if we were to bring in 1 more - lets be honest, probably grimes, it'll mean one of Smallbone, Charles or Downes missing out each week - all would expect to start and it feels like it would be difficult to keep that dynamic happy. 

Considering Downes, it seems is seen as a "6" rather than an "8" - it will be an "8" we want to bring in, remembering that Charles is still very young and I don't want us to be reliant on him (see Lavia last season when injured) it will be one of Charles/ Downes there and I don't want Smallbone there if we can help it after his showing 1st half vs. Norwich. Also, and given the number of yellows dished out so far, we need to factor in the need to rotate for suspensions or injuries (e.g. Smallbone right now, I would say we do need another "8" brought in - hopefully Grimes, and I think that is enough considering the above and we can keep all happy and plan for all situations.

1 hour ago, Crab Lungs said:

Are we genuinely researching gastroenteritis for clues?

I remember when poor Emiliano Sala disappeared, the Cardiff fans forum were researching every tiny island south of mainland England in the hope that he'd be found there.

Sometimes you just gotta go overboard on the conspiracy theories.

• Haha 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Flynn Downes