Flynn Downes

manji

44 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

That’s what I had, was horrendous. Took me weeks to recover and lost so much weight. 

Me too! Undercooked chicken shish kebab.  Sadly I quickly put the weight back on. 

Edited by stknowle

Here I am trying fad diets and all I needed was a campylobster and all my problems would be gone in a week. 

Welcome Downes. I'm hoping Flynn can ride(r) us back to the Prem. A good start to strengthening the spine. One more CM and a CB, then replacing anyone that leaves henceforth and we should be fine.

2 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

You mean like when Ralph said last summer there’s definitely a striker coming in?

If he actually had named that striker in numerous press conferences/interviews then I would expect we would have signed him.

Edited by Saint_Ash

17 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

So what happened with him at Wet Spam? I guess he couldn't force himself into the first team of a relegation threatened side and they decided JWP is more their level? 

I posted it on here, I previously asked my West Ham supporting mate about him. He said it was surprising that Downes didn’t get in the side last year, Moyes just seemed to prefer Soucek. Thought Downes was a decent player and it’s a really good deal for us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Smatt48 said:

He's reported as 6 foot tall & only 11 stone... so he's already a stick insect before now losing more weight after going full Bear Grylls on raw chicken!?

Welcome Flynn! Couple of kebabs before Saturday please!

His wiki page says he’s 5 foot 8.

He is definitely taller than 5'8. Watching him he looks longer limbed on the pitch than most players, and comparing heights I'd guess 6' to 6'1. Definitely not a short DM like wiki and other sites say - you'll see he's quite a bit bigger.

3 hours ago, kitch said:

Serious question...who the fuck would eat raw chicken liver, and why?!

Our cat. She loves it. We call her Elyopoussi.

Welcome to the Premier League Express, Flynn. if you're only three times better than JWP that'll be just fine for me.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

The only image I have ever seen of him is that model one from saintsforever and he looked skinny enough so must be a stick figure after food poisoning. 

Would make a very good light entertainment TV presenter in another life 

4 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Ahem.  Good to see the CoT at the cutting edge once again ;)

Hey I'm not falling for the hype that easily. First he said he had food poisoning, then he said he had campylobacter. The lad can't keep his story straight. And don't forget when at the fans' forum they asked the Dyson bloke if he'd signed yet, and he only gave a curt "yeah," because he knew he hadn't really. Or something.

I, for one, certainly won't believe he's signed until he's running out onto the St Mary's pitch during a match. Until then, I'll keep up with the latest on Footy Insider. They know something's up.

16 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Hey I'm not falling for the hype that easily. First he said he had food poisoning, then he said he had campylobacter. The lad can't keep his story straight. And don't forget when at the fans' forum they asked the Dyson bloke if he'd signed yet, and he only gave a curt "yeah," because he knew he hadn't really. Or something.

I, for one, certainly won't believe he's signed until he's running out onto the St Mary's pitch during a match. Until then, I'll keep up with the latest on Footy Insider. They know something's up.

Poor sod looks off-white and like he's lost two stone Ted.  Even joining Saints under Nathan Jones wouldn't have induced the shits like that.  Doubt he will be risked on Saturday but going to be a great addition for us, a terrier of a player.

7 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Poor sod looks off-white and like he's lost two stone Ted.  Even joining Saints under Nathan Jones wouldn't have induced the shits like that.  Doubt he will be risked on Saturday but going to be a great addition for us, a terrier of a player.

I can only hope so. I will try and maintain my utmost faith in your elite circle of trust. But to me and all my fellow sleuths on Twitter or whatever the fuck it's called now, something didn't smell right about this deal, and I'm not just talking about Flynn's toilet.

• Haha 1

Did anyone else think he looked a bit underwhelmed to be here? Was chatting to a couple of west ham mates and apparently he kicked off a bit originally at being used in a deal for JWP. He can't be happy at being a west ham fan, not having had the chances he wants there, and now being sent down a division as his place is taken by the player he's now replacing 😅. He's been proper shafted re his west ham dreams at anyrate!

Edited by Saint86
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

Did anyone else think he looked a bit underwhelmed to be here? Was chatting to a couple of west ham mates and apparently he kicked off a bit originally at being used in a deal for JWP. He can't be happy at being a west ham fan, not having had the chances he wants there, and now being sent down a division as his place is taken by the player he's now replacing 😅. He's been proper shafted re his west ham dreams at anyrate!

No, not really. Probably just exhausted from shitting half his body weight out in six days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

He should be a bit pissed off. He was signed for £12M to play for the Premier a club that he supported as a boy. Last season he featured in a total of 35 games for them across all competitions, starting in 15 of those. Consensus from West Ham fans seems to be that they’re surprised he didn’t get even more chances and are sorry to see him go. So, yes, I’d be a bit disheartened to drop down a division after that. Can only hope that really works in our favour as we get a class player who has got something to prove.

• Like 4

What's the thought process behind it just being a loan (from a West Ham point of view) do you think? If they (current management) have decided he is not good enough and won't be good enough going forward, why have they not looked to sell him?

A loan certainly works for us, in the short term, but slightly surprised West Ham have not insisted on a sale. 

51 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

He should be a bit pissed off. He was signed for £12M to play for the Premier a club that he supported as a boy. Last season he featured in a total of 35 games for them across all competitions, starting in 15 of those. Consensus from West Ham fans seems to be that they’re surprised he didn’t get even more chances and are sorry to see him go. So, yes, I’d be a bit disheartened to drop down a division after that. Can only hope that really works in our favour as we get a class player who has got something to prove.

another reason I thought he would want a permanent move away. Being told you are not wanted must be hard to take. I'd of wanted a clean break. Maybe he is biding his time and thinks a new manager, should that happen, might see him in a different light.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

What's the thought process behind it just being a loan (from a West Ham point of view) do you think? If they (current management) have decided he is not good enough and won't be good enough going forward, why have they not looked to sell him?

A loan certainly works for us, in the short term, but slightly surprised West Ham have not insisted on a sale. 

I think the fact that he is a lifelong Hammers supporter has a lot ton don with  it. He got his dream move to the Club and doesn't want to leave. Moyes is one of the favourites to go first and who knows what will happen under a new manager.

6 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

I think the fact that he is a lifelong Hammers supporter has a lot ton don with  it. He got his dream move to the Club and doesn't want to leave. Moyes is one of the favourites to go first and who knows what will happen under a new manager.

Is there a recall clause in the loan? If Moyes goes, the new guy (or girl of course..) might want him back in the fold.

2 minutes ago, 31cc said:

Is there a recall clause in the loan? If Moyes goes, the new guy (or girl of course..) might want him back in the fold.

I very much doubt it, you don't tend to see recall clauses in important loan deals like this one. I doubt we would've agreed to that. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chez said:

They're probably hoping sting us for jwp's fee next summer. 

Edited by Saint86

On 22/08/2023 at 12:21, Chez said:

another reason I thought he would want a permanent move away. Being told you are not wanted must be hard to take. I'd of wanted a clean break. Maybe he is biding his time and thinks a new manager, should that happen, might see him in a different light.

I would guess they see a future for him at WHIU and that he was part of the sweetener to get JWP

• Lighthouse changed the title to Flynn Downes

Slightly controversial perhaps (given he's a loanee rather than a permanent signing) but am I alone in thinking that Downes should be made the on-field captain? (with Stephens being 'club captain')

IMO, he's one of a select few that is pretty much guaranteed to start every game, given the pivotal position he plays in, and is also one of a select few in the squad that comes across as being very vocal. 

I can also see us signing him on a permanent basis if/when we get promoted. (He said in his recent interview with Adam Blackmore that he yearns to play for a club where he feels wanted and settled and we could well end up being that club...)

Thoughts?

• Like 2