Flynn Downes

manji

“It’s been a tough week, struggling with illness a little bit, but it feels good to finally be here, to get it over the line, and I’m just excited to get going,” he said.

“I was hoping to be involved on the weekend. Long story short, I had a bit of dodgy food off my own back – I’m not going to blame the missus. I got food poisoning, felt like I was on my deathbed, lost a lot of weight, so it’s not ideal, but it is what it is. I’m over it now, we live and we learn, I won’t be eating raw chicken liver ever again!”

“That was the best year I’ve had in my career,” Downes said of his Swansea spell. “The way we played suited me down to a tee and I just found I slotted right in. I loved coming in every day – I think that’s a big thing.

“It’s a good watch, I’m sure all the fans are happy with it. It’s a great style of play – what team doesn’t want to dominate the ball like Man City? I think every team wants to be like that.

“I feel like I’m an all-round type of player. I suppose I like to do a bit of everything – I like to defend, pass the ball, win the ball back, dribble with it, so a bit of everything really.

“I spoke many times with the West Ham gaffer and I came to the conclusion I wanted to play week in, week out. Obviously I know West Ham have signed a lot of midfielders, so I knew that would be tough, but I think a lot of things just appealed to me here.

“The ambition for the club is obviously to get promoted, to get back in the Premier League, and that enticed me a lot. You look at the squad we’ve got here, I think we’ve got a very, very good chance of that, so it’s looking good.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

“It’s been a tough week, struggling with illness a little bit, but it feels good to finally be here, to get it over the line, and I’m just excited to get going,” he said.

“I was hoping to be involved on the weekend. Long story short, I had a bit of dodgy food off my own back – I’m not going to blame the missus. I got food poisoning, felt like I was on my deathbed, lost a lot of weight, so it’s not ideal, but it is what it is. I’m over it now, we live and we learn, I won’t be eating raw chicken liver ever again!”

“That was the best year I’ve had in my career,” Downes said of his Swansea spell. “The way we played suited me down to a tee and I just found I slotted right in. I loved coming in every day – I think that’s a big thing.

“It’s a good watch, I’m sure all the fans are happy with it. It’s a great style of play – what team doesn’t want to dominate the ball like Man City? I think every team wants to be like that.

“I feel like I’m an all-round type of player. I suppose I like to do a bit of everything – I like to defend, pass the ball, win the ball back, dribble with it, so a bit of everything really.

“I spoke many times with the West Ham gaffer and I came to the conclusion I wanted to play week in, week out. Obviously I know West Ham have signed a lot of midfielders, so I knew that would be tough, but I think a lot of things just appealed to me here.

“The ambition for the club is obviously to get promoted, to get back in the Premier League, and that enticed me a lot. You look at the squad we’ve got here, I think we’ve got a very, very good chance of that, so it’s looking good.”

That sounds like campylobacter food poisoning which is a solid week of misery from my experience.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 19/08/2023 at 11:33, Miltonaggro said:

Hearing medical staff asked to be at Staplewood over the weekend and an additional room booking on behalf of club at the Harbour Hotel. Can’t confirm the sanitary arrangements but all signs suggest a Sunday PM or more likely Monday AM announcement. At fucking last! 

Ahem.  Good to see the CoT at the cutting edge once again ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

So looks like it was a load of bollocks about him not coming here 

Of course it was. People thinking he wasn't going to come after Martin actually said he was is quite laughable. They'd be stupid to put themselves in that position.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Great signing, shame no option.

Tell me how are you embedding these X/Twitter links. I’ve tried changing the address to Twitter.com but it doesn’t work for me.

I'm only having luck when it's a Twitter URL and I am posting from desktop by copy and paste.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Flynn Downes - Official: Signs on Loan

Martin was delighted the club were able to complete the move and he is excited about the qualities Downes will add.

"He's a brilliant character, he's a winner, someone who's aggressive and a brilliant athlete too,” he said.

“We've got a great relationship, myself, Gilly, him and the rest of the staff, so he knows what he's coming into and that will speed him up, because he knows the work and he's done it before.

“He's a real winner, a brilliant teammate and someone who's got a lot of quality on the ball, which is obviously why West Ham took him to the Premier League and I think he feels really hungry to get playing football again because he hasn't played as much as he would have liked in the last year.

“So he has hunger, he has character, he has a lot of talent and he has a lot of physicality as well.

“He was a massive favourite with the players, the staff and the fans at Swansea and I'm sure he'll be the same here.”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

Of course it was. People thinking he wasn't going to come after Martin actually said he was is quite laughable. They'd be stupid to put themselves in that position.

You mean like when Ralph said last summer there’s definitely a striker coming in?

25 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Flynn is going to be sorely disappointed when he gets down to reading Saintsweb and finds out our ambition is actually to spend a season or two in the champs rebuilding and fixing our losing mentality 😂 (can't remember which poster on here was saying that the other day

• Haha 1

On 18/08/2023 at 09:22, skintsaint said:

image.thumb.png.4b59e3c43f90b09e7364d2acc83f9e04.png

I picked up a dose at Campylobacter a few years back ironically at a business lunch at St Marys.
I was proper ill for a few days and it took me over a week to recover.
Like Flynn Downes I lost quite a bit of weight.
Hopefully being a fit athlete he will get over the food poisoning quicker than I did but I cant see him starting on Saturday.

• Like 3

He was one of the best young prospects when he was in this league before, a proper standout when we played Swansea in the cup. 

He is a shoe-in to be a mainstay all season in my eyes, him and Shea together could work brilliantly - with Alcaraz just in front. Good to get some first team quality in the door.

• Like 5

Excellent, really glad we have been able to get him from West Ham. At this level, I think he just about as good as you will get.

I didn't think we had a chance and was totally wrong about that.

I said last year that we should have gone for him and we got there in the end, although a note of warning, some of my previous HCDAJFU recommendations that have actually happened include Redmond and Aribo. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great to get this sorted, a very exciting signing who knows the manager, the style of play and previously flourished with it.

Some absolute class posts a few pages back. Not sure why anyone would think the manager was lying when he said he was coming, it's a totally different scenario to Ralph saying we would sign a striker. The agreement for this one was obviously in place a week or so ago.

37 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He was one of the best young prospects when he was in this league before, a proper standout when we played Swansea in the cup. 

He is a shoe-in to be a mainstay all season in my eyes, him and Shea together could work brilliantly - with Alcaraz just in front. Good to get some first team quality in the door.

When Charles & Downes play together as a pair you'd imagine that would give Alcaraz the licence to roam and cause a world of trouble without having to worry too much about defence. Would also allow a really attacking set of fullbacks - say Manning & Djed Spence if KWP goes

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Flynn Downes