Sunderland 5-0 Southampton

coalman

13 minutes ago, fanimal said:

Presumably they will travel up this afternoon/evening so that will determine the squad?

in that sense an early kickoff helps I think?

Surely they'd fly up tomorrow? I know we're a little skint, but surely we're not that skint that we'll be throwing them on a 6 hour coach and a hotel for 2 nights

• Like 1

On 29/08/2023 at 07:23, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

I think I would go with the following line-up as it is probably closer to the version of 4-3-3 (4-1-2-3) that we have been playing and keeps our wingers in their normal positions instead of swapping them around as everyone has done above!! 😁

Bazunu

|          Bednarek      Holgate        |

KWP                  Charles             Manning

|                     Smallbone                  |

v                       Alcaraz                     v

SAA                     Arma                   Edozie

In this Charles is the sitting CDM, Smallbone operates in a box-to-box role and Alcaraz provides the AM role, but may alternate to some degree with Smallbone behind him and with Arma ahead of him, thus making Arma into more of a false nine than an out and out centre forward (which would suit him better).

As subs we would have:

• Lumley or McCarthy (or new GK if McCarthy is sold/loaned out??)
  • Bree/new FB (Johnson?)/Larios
  • New CB/ABK - I am assuming ABK will be sold or go out on loan, which could lead to us purchasing another new CB (probably Nathan Wood). If ABK does stay he may remain as sub or may start if he is getting back to full fitness.
  • Downes (or he may start if Smallbone is not deemed fit enough to start)
  • S.Armstrong
  • Aribo
  • Fraser (or he starts and one of the other wingers starts on bench)
  • Sulemana or New winger (Tella replacement - Paintsil/Roberts/Rak-Sakyi?) or Doyle
  • Adams/New striker (or Ballard/Mara if new striker (Miovski/Shankland/Stewart) is not yet match-ready)

NB If Aribo goes this would open up the possibility of both Adams/new striker AND Ballard or Mara being on the bench or, if he doesn't leave (and is fit) Sulemana could feature as well as Fraser and the other new winger, though it would seem odd to feature so many wingers in the squad!

PS Let's be honest though, there are far too many unknowns at present to be sure who will/won't be in our squad and ready for selection next Saturday!

I really like that set up and when you look at us like this, we look strong and in depth as still no room for Downes or Fraser and others in your starting line up.

Just now, JRM said:

The transfer window is going to completely over shadow this build up  , just hope Sunderlands preparations are as disrupted as ours. What's the latest on players coming and going up there? 

We're signing all their players.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Assuming Che goes who do we expect to lead the line on Saturday? We know AA can't do it, Mara will probably be gone so it will be interesting to see what RM does.  Doubt any other incoming striker will be signed in time or risked so it's a tricky one. Perhaps he'll give Tall Paul a start 🙂

28 minutes ago, saintant said:

Assuming Che goes who do we expect to lead the line on Saturday? We know AA can't do it, Mara will probably be gone so it will be interesting to see what RM does.  Doubt any other incoming striker will be signed in time or risked so it's a tricky one. Perhaps he'll give Tall Paul a start 🙂

Tall Paul will probably be gone as well.

We could give Ballard a chance ... oh  wait, he'll be gone too. 

Good to have options at least.

• Haha 1

I think the crowd will be extra vocal and extra nasty towards us tomorrow. It’s gonna need wise professional heads to cope with the atmosphere.

I think that points to a more experienced starting 11 than last time ie Ryan Fraser to start,  Flynn to start, Stu to start (C) and Holgate to start. I’d hope there’s a place for Shea to start but it might be at expense of Charlie which I’d rather both were on the pitch! 
AA to play wherever he likes frankly except conventional 9..

Based on if things stay the same between now and tomorrow.

Bazunu; KWP, Bednarek, Holgate, Manning; Charles, Downes, Armstrong; Fraser, Edozie, Adams.

Subs: Lumley, Harwood-Bellis/ABK, Bree, S.Armstrong, Alcaraz, SAA, Aribo, Sulemena, Mara. 

Could also switch Downes to the 6 and bring S.Armstrong/Alcaraz in for Charles to make it a bit more attacking. 

2 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Based on if things stay the same between now and tomorrow.

Bazunu; KWP, Bednarek, Holgate, Manning; Charles, Downes, Armstrong; Fraser, Edozie, Adams.

Subs: Lumley, Harwood-Bellis/ABK, Bree, S.Armstrong, Alcaraz, SAA, Aribo, Sulemena, Mara. 

Could also switch Downes to the 6 and bring S.Armstrong/Alcaraz in for Charles to make it a bit more attacking. 

There are a few there who won't have travelled, Adams, ABK for starters, Sielmana, Mara as well 

17 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

There are a few there who won't have travelled, Adams, ABK for starters, Sielmana, Mara as well 

I get why ABK hasn't travelled but don't see why the other 3 wouldn't have. Doesn't seem like deals were close for those players at all.

Be very surprised to see Adams in the squad. Not that the move to Wolves was close, but RMs comments last week re distractions and advice Che was getting from agents etc. That would have been going on right up until earlier today.

Baz

KWP       Holgate      Bed     Manning

Charles   Downes

S Arm           Alcaraz          Edozie

A Arm

Just now, woodsaint1 said:

Be very surprised to see Adams in the squad. Not that the move to Wolves was close, but RMs comments last week re distractions and advice Che was getting from agents etc. That would have been going on right up until earlier today.

Baz

Charles   Downes

A Arm

Fraser starts for me

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Baz

Charles   Downes

A Arm

Despite what I said earlier I read that Adams travelled so maybe he will be in the matchday squad if not starting.

-------------Bazunu--------------

KWP---Holgate----Bed---Manning

-------------Downes------------

Stu---------Alcaraz----------Fraser

--------------AA-------------------

------------------Che--------------

Bit of artistic licence between the attacking midfield 3. I would have Che play, he's a saints player now, prove your worth, and have Adam A behind him. 

Going forward, thinking of the players we have in the squad that can come in, we look strong. 

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

Baz

Charles   Downes

A Arm

I think Che should start up front with AA slightly deeper.    Fraser has to start for Edozie who can come on as a sub.  Likewise, unleash Sulemana in the second half for Stu or Alcaraz.     Is TBH not ready to start?   Perhaps Charles at CB rather than Bednarek to accommodate Che with Downes holding.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see if RM goes with two "pivot" (excuse me) midfielders or sticks with the two "8"s.

We could play Charles and Downes or we could just play one of them. 

Personally I'd play both, with Alcaraz in front allowing him to push very high and Interchange with ArmA, so that he can drop a bit deeper. I'm assuming Adams won't feature.

I guess THB hasn't been around long enough to start so it will be Holgate and Bednarek at the back.

• Like 2

Given how many goals we have been conceding one suggestion could be: 

————Bazunu———

KWP—Holgate-Beds—Manning

———-Flynn-Shea———

Ed——————————Fraser

——————AA———————

——————Che——————-

1. I think it’s right to give Mason his debut but there’s an argument for keeping the Shea/Beds duo which worked well second half of QPR. 

2. If so then his MF slot is up for grabs. I think RM would prefer Stu for his experience in this kind of game but not playing Charlie may be controversial. 

3. Che should play in this game BUT RM has left him on the bench a lot so who knows. If RM decides Che is better as a sub later in game then it makes a space for Charlie, Mara or even Joe. Or even drumroll…..Kamaldeen! 

This team should be good for at least a point probably three. That’s a sure sign for seasoned saints fans that we will get beaten but I remain ever hopeful! If any recent team can do it I have trust that this new look, newly reset saints can. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Russ didn't involve Che last week because his head wasn't in the right place.

Difficult to imagine he would be anywhere near the first team today. Probably needs a little break with Scotland to come back focused later in the month.

I agree with you but the quickest way to get Che scoring again is for him to be on the pitch not the bench. He’s got the guts for it I’m sure and if he plays and scores the whole mood changes. 
Each match he watches not plays costs Saints £15M/c 40 matches - that’s c. £375,000 per match not to play!!!  Leaving him on the bench to get his head straight after we did not sell him is a high stakes play! I think it’s what RM will do on balance but it would be a hell of a statement if he started! 

Edited by gio1saints
Maths!

14 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I agree with you but the quickest way to get Che scoring again is for him to be on the pitch not the bench. He’s got the guts for it I’m sure and if he plays and scores the whole mood changes. 
Each match he watches not plays costs Saints £15M/c 40 matches - that’s c. £375,000 per match not to play!!!  Leaving him on the bench to get his head straight after we did not sell him is a high stakes play! I think it’s what RM will do on balance but it would be a hell of a statement if he started! 

A good test of RM's man-management.

If he throws himself straight into the mix and starts bagging some goals, he potentially earns himself a chance of a January move. Maybe that's the sales pitch? 

2 minutes ago, Southner said:

A good test of RM's man-management.

If he throws himself straight into the mix and starts bagging some goals, he potentially earns himself a chance of a January move. Maybe that's the sales pitch? 

Either way Che doesn't seem the kind of guy to throw his toys out of the pram. Let's not forget the only reason he didn't play last week was because Martin thought it would be best to leave him out. 

Sulemena I'm not as sure about. 

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Hoping we parade our new striker Ross Stewart to the away fans before kick off.

Going to be a special player when he gets over his injury.

Cheeky, but personally I'd rather not pump up the best part of a 40k crowd that's already pumped-up anyway :) I'd leave the winding up to Fraser banging in one or two myself.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Either way Che doesn't seem the kind of guy to throw his toys out of the pram. Let's not forget the only reason he didn't play last week was because Martin thought it would be best to leave him out. 

Sulemena I'm not as sure about. 

Yeah Che certainly seems to be the type to just get on with it now the window's closed.

Sulemana however gives me the impression that he's less interested in giving it some for us. More than happy to be proved wrong though. He could be a dangerous asset with the right mindset.

Edited by Southner

35 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Cheeky, but personally I'd rather not pump up the best part of a 40k crowd that's already pumped-up anyway :) I'd leave the winding up to Fraser banging in one or two myself.

I forget how big both the Stadium of Light and St James' Park are. Proper supporters up there in the chilly North East.

37 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Sunderland get excellent crowds numbers wise but don't actually make that much noise , especially for a lunchtime ko. 

Would be nice to keep a clean sheet for once but we always look shaky defensively , I think we got a bit lucky against QPR so will predict a 1-1 today. 

This would be my lineup today, Downes x Charles might be a little more defensive but Id like to see us start to bed in a more defensively solid approach

Hopefully Adams has enough about him to channel whatever dissatisfaction he has into a good performance and I back him to bag another today if he starts, Arma coming from deep allows him to carry on what he has been doing and on current form I don’t think Alcaraz deserves a start

Excited to hopefully see what THB has about him and I also think, despite my early dissapointment that Fraser is going to be a hugely important asset to us this year 

Lets start strong… Saints 2-0 win for me

IMG_9011.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Sunderland 5-0 Southampton Saturday
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Sunderland 5-0 Southampton
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic