Ross Stewart

InvictaSaint

3 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

Just out of interest, don't teams have insurance against players and injuries, to ensure it's not completely wasted money? 

Most do, some don’t. I seem to remember that Arsenal never insured their players preferring to cover the risk themselves.

1 hour ago, Oldandtired said:

Having had such a success with this Sunderland reject, the gossip column on the Beeb is suggesting that we are interested in another one, Jack Clarke for the princely sum of £20mill…

….mind you, everyone gets linked with everyone on there, 

How is Jack Clarke a “reject”? Hes played every single league game for Sunderland this season and scored 15 goals, an excellent rate of return from someone who doesn’t play as a central striker. He also tore saints a new one when they thrashed us up there. He looks to be genuine quality.

• Like 5

On 20/02/2024 at 10:43, The Kraken said:

How is Jack Clarke a “reject”? Hes played every single league game for Sunderland this season and scored 15 goals, an excellent rate of return from someone who doesn’t play as a central striker. He also tore saints a new one when they thrashed us up there. He looks to be genuine quality.

Hi is, he was superb for Leeds and got his move to spurs but being so young obviously didn't work out , think he then went on loan to Sunderland then they bought him 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dman said:

I wonder if there is any chance he could be fit for a cameo in the play-offs? Could be the difference if we can get an hour out of him over 3 games 

I think it's unlikely. 

Sad thing is the combined transfer fees for Stewart and Shea Charles cost more than most championship teams starting XI , obviously both could still come good in the future but does feel like a missed opportunity when we could have got players who'd contribute more this season. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Blimey, legs almost as spindly as Peter Crouch’s.

Yep, which suggests that he hasn't been doing much (if any) strength work for a while. Hopefully he can be ready to do a proper pre season and help with next years promotion push. 

41 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I guess that's why they keep breaking down?

I was reading yesterday an article about football injuries that said many professional players were more bandy legged (see above..) although it wasn't clear whether from training or natural selection, but it helped with the twisting and changes of direction required in the game.

I watched a bit of Stewart's appearance in the U23 match, and although he was playing down a level he still had that look that makes it obvious the player you are watching has something about them. Let's all cross our fingers..

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Just in time to get injured for the play offs. 

Yes but come next season he’ll be like another new signing to propel us to automatic promotion. Until he gets injured on September 2nd after the window has slammed shut. 

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

Yes but come next season he’ll be like another new signing to propel us to automatic promotion. Until he gets injured on September 2nd after the window has slammed shut. 

Tis Ok, Mara and Ballard will fire us to promotion...

41 minutes ago, Badger said:

You can kind of predict it already. Che and Armstrong leaving in the summer, we're panicking as fans as no new number 9 seems to be coming into the door. The club remain calm and relaxed about the situation, only focused in buying better than they have, as they have confidence in Stewart who is already here etc.

Come the end of the window, we don't sign a new number 9, all faith put into Stewart again and he gets injured in the first game after the window like you say.

Our recruitment of strikers since the sale of Danny Ings has been an absolute disgrace. I hope I'm wrong with the above, but I've seen it all before.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

You could argue that his signing was the catalyst to fuck this season up. Let’s not beat around the bush, not going up automatically is a disaster, and not having a proper striker is one of the main reasons why. Not adequately replacing Ings got us relegated, and still not replacing Ings doesn’t get us promoted. Shock horror. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

You can kind of predict it already. Che and Armstrong leaving in the summer, we're panicking as fans as no new number 9 seems to be coming into the door. The club remain calm and relaxed about the situation, only focused in buying better than they have, as they have confidence in Stewart who is already here etc.

Come the end of the window, we don't sign a new number 9, all faith put into Stewart again and he gets injured in the first game after the window like you say.

Our recruitment of strikers since the sale of Danny Ings has been an absolute disgrace. I hope I'm wrong with the above, but I've seen it all before.

Not just of strikers either. We've needed a decent, experienced, quality centre back since Fonte left. Instead we've replaced them with utter dross. First off Stephens and Yoshida, then Hoedt, Verstergaard, Caleta-Carr, Salisu, Bella-Kothcap, Danso, Lyanco. Some of them weren't bad players but they needed someone to lead them alongside them. £60 off million on players not up to the job, trying to be clever and find the new Van Dijk rather than bringing in what we needed. 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

And even then we took a gamble that, luckily, paid off. For one season at least.

Realistically, you have to go back to the season before we sold Pelle and Mane for the last time we actually had a decent roster of strikers.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

And even then we took a gamble that, luckily, paid off. For one season at least.

Realistically, you have to go back to the season before we sold Pelle and Mane for the last time we actually had a decent roster of strikers.

:facepalm: The stench of Kruger lives on.

47 minutes ago, LGTL said:

You could argue that his signing was the catalyst to fuck this season up. Let’s not beat around the bush, not going up automatically is a disaster, and not having a proper striker is one of the main reasons why. Not adequately replacing Ings got us relegated, and still not replacing Ings doesn’t get us promoted. Shock horror. 

A fit and firing Stewart and we would have probably got autos. It was the right signing but at the wrong time. He was never going to be fit for ages after 8 months out and any player out that long can suffer ongoing issues afterwards (as he has shown) so it was a huge gamble that didn't pay off. And that's just one problem. The other problem was not bringing in a striker in the January window based on a small patch of reasonable form from Che who always seems to play up when a window approaches, and putting faith in Mara.

8 hours ago, SNSUN said:

A fit and firing Stewart and we would have probably got autos. It was the right signing but at the wrong time. He was never going to be fit for ages after 8 months out and any player out that long can suffer ongoing issues afterwards (as he has shown) so it was a huge gamble that didn't pay off. And that's just one problem. The other problem was not bringing in a striker in the January window based on a small patch of reasonable form from Che who always seems to play up when a window approaches, and putting faith in Mara.

Infuriating when you look at who else would have been available for that amount - Haji Wright for £9million has 14 goals in a decent Coventry side, Whittaker from Plymouth has 19 or Hardie also from Plymouth has 12. 

I think next season with Adams going and Armstrong probably being sold, we need to be trying to pinch one of those three and i'd also try and get Sargent from Norwich who will be into the last year of his contract. I quite like Matt Clarke at the back for Boro yesterday as well. 

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Infuriating when you look at who else would have been available for that amount - Haji Wright for £9million has 14 goals in a decent Coventry side, Whittaker from Plymouth has 19 or Hardie also from Plymouth has 12. 

I think next season with Adams going and Armstrong probably being sold, we need to be trying to pinch one of those three and i'd also try and get Sargent from Norwich who will be into the last year of his contract. I quite like Matt Clarke at the back for Boro yesterday as well. 

Sargent is a good shout. While he feels like a very poor player he is capable of scoring at this level and causes us problems. Norwich did though spend about £8 million on him, so he would not be cheap. Maybe we should look at getting Chris Wood from Forest as well.

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Cov's scouting in recent years has been absolutely faultless.

Hamer, Gyökeres, Wright, Simms, Van Ewijk (someone I'd look to as a replacement for KWP), O'Hare, Sheaf etc. Absolutely epic recruitment.

We can learn a lot from them.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, trousers said:

Russ dropping a hint in today's pre-match press conference that Ross Stewart could be involved before the end of the season....

The forum has declared already that he will not recover from his injury or his transfer fee, much less score a goal for us, so I will have to question whether RM knows what he's talking about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 30/03/2024 at 12:35, S-Clarke said:

Cov's scouting in recent years has been absolutely faultless.

Hamer, Gyökeres, Wright, Simms, Van Ewijk (someone I'd look to as a replacement for KWP), O'Hare, Sheaf etc. Absolutely epic recruitment.

We can learn a lot from them.

Did they all cost between £8-£12m from Man City academy?

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Did they all cost between £8-£12m from Man City academy?

What with Wilcox being so clueless - according to your season long insinuations notably re the Man City youth and RS purchase it’s a wonder one of the worlds biggest clubs is actively courting him now isn’t it? 

There cannot be many more rough diamond £10m Man City youth players he can scoop up for Man Utd so what must be the attraction in recruiting him - and despite recent appearances - to work for still one of the biggest clubs in world football - and from little old championship team southampton of all places? 

Perhaps he is not simply a one trick Man City youth recruiter pony as you imply. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

What with Wilcox being so clueless - according to your season long insinuations notably re the Man City youth and RS purchase it’s a wonder one of the worlds biggest clubs is actively courting him now isn’t it? 

There cannot be many more rough diamond £10m Man City youth players he can scoop up for Man Utd so what must be the attraction in recruiting him - and despite recent appearances - to work for still one of the biggest clubs in world football - and from little old championship team southampton of all places? 

Perhaps he is not simply a one trick Man City youth recruiter pony as you imply. 

Good point Jason me ol' mucker... ;)

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Your argument is that Man Utd is a big club so they must know what they're doing?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, gio1saints said:

I hear Man United have got a high than average amount of sad fucks in their fan base so he was the perfect ift.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, gio1saints said:
3 hours ago, coalman said:

Your argument is that Man Utd is a big club so they must know what they're doing?

Its fairly obvious my point is that he is not as useless as some here make out.

There may be better ways to make that point than the "big clubs know what they're doing" argument. Particularly when the big club in question is Man Utd.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gio1saints said:
3 hours ago, coalman said:

Its fairly obvious my point is that he is not as useless as some here make out.

who has said he's useless? You do know we signed a lot of Man City academy players before he was here, right?

12 minutes ago, coalman said:

There may be better ways to make that point than the "big clubs know what they're doing" argument. Particularly when the big club in question is Man Utd.

Excellent and intelligent response. My argument was obviously a non sequitur which you exposed expertly with a minimum of effort. 👏

Makes a bloody change instead of having to deal with some of the sad fucks on here. 😂

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Excellent and intelligent response. My argument was obviously a non sequitur which you exposed expertly with a minimum of effort. 👏

Makes a bloody change instead of having to deal with some of the sad fucks on here. 😂

Talking of sad fucks on here is your posting on this forum still having a negative impact on your family life?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Got to be in there as one of the worst decisions made by the club in recent years.

That said he and the board will be heroes if he scores the winner in the play off final 😅

He'll score the winning penalty in a shootout and the club will pat themselves on the back ignoring the 20 goals that could have fired us to automatic promotion if we'd signed someone else. 

12 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Imagine how embarrassing it will be for all of us if when he does play he's a wasteful as Adams, his absence is the crutch I've been leaning on all season.

We are not that unlucky are we?

Compare the two YouTube highlight reels