Ross Stewart

InvictaSaint

Even without this set back, we’re 18 games into the season and he’s only made a couple of fleeting sub appearance. I could live with him missing the first month of the season but realistically we were looking at halfway through the season before he started a game, even without today’s news.

I look forward to the situation being resolved in January, with a 33 year old RB on loan.

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I can't see him accepting anything below a PL level. If anything he's the West Hammiest signing I can think of, or possibly somewhere like Palace.

Yep. No chance he'd come to us sadly. He'll want to be playing though, and has a place in the Albania euro squad to play for. Him to West Ham or Palace I could see happening. Mateta at Palace has something about him and would give us something we need on loan. 

Ross Stewart being out isn’t a loss. He was injured prior to signing, got to be one of our worst pieces of business when trying to go for promotion. He’s had a couple of fleeting appearances and no more.

Sulemana isn’t that much of a loss either. He looks half arsed and half interested all the time, and a couple of assists isn’t contributing an awful lot. Yeah people can say this system may not suit him but a player of his talent should be performing a lot better.

The only loss is the thinning of the squad overall.

• Confused 1

Replacing Sulemana isn't a problem, we've been getting more of a tune out of Fraser anyway of late and we also have Edozie, SAA and Aribo that can play there, but we absolutely need to be going out and signing a striker in January, even if it's on loan. AA is better playing wider and I'm not totally convinced with playing Alcaraz up top who I think is better slightly deeper. With Adams seemingly not being arsed right now and Mara showing no sign of improving, we definitely need a striker. Who? Ings? He'd be on my list. Someone like Kieffer Moore? Looking at the Prem there aren't too many options. We do need someone though, we can't rely on Ross getting back to full fitness by February let alone back to his goalscoring best. In our promotion season in 2012 we signed Sharp (the less said about Tadanari Lee and Iago Falque the better) and he got us over the line, I'd like to see us do the same thing again.

Not had a striker since 2021

Fucking clever clogs sport Republic sign a crocked player because they’re too clever to sign a striker that actually plays. 

meanwhile tall paul has 7 goals and 1 assist in 9 games 

Our owners are complete bell ends. 

Edited by Osvaldorama
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Not had a striker since 2021

Fucking clever clogs sport Republic sign a crocked player because they’re too clever to sign a striker that actually plays. 

meanwhile tall paul has 7 goals and 1 assist in 9 games 

Our owners are complete bell ends. 

:D What? What's the narrative here?

Haven't had a striker since 2021 and owners are bellends because they can't sign strikers, apart from the one they signed in January? 

There's some legit criticism to be shared around our striker situation but make it make sense at least.

Edited by Fabrice29

19 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

£8million rising to £10million, if his legs stay attached. So, £8 million. 🙂

May have an impact on any Adams interest?   We won't want to lose anyone else up front.

In all fairness this is another injury and not connected with the Achilles problem and is hardly " his fault ".

Despite all else .." Scottish caps and a handful of goals every season " ..I'm sorry .. but Ché Adams just hasn't cut it for me as our top striker.

We've put off buying another striker  for  2 years, and now we see what  Adam. A .... can do / might have done  ...when given the chance.

The value of the fee for Adams....16 mill.?.. has gone now, and as he's refused to sign a new contract, it means we might get a small fee for him 

in January ...otherwise he can walk away for NOTHING in the summer - but will still pick up " his loyalty bonus "...whatever that means?.

For all his sweat and effort, I'm sorry but it's been a poor deal in my reckoning, and we have few other real alternatives.

Aribo  can't score - and will likely be away for AFCON in the winter anyway - and Mara shows few signs of ever becoming a regular goalscorer.

Selling Ché  for what we can get and importing someone else ..PDQ ... seems to be the only short term solution.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint NL said:

More chance of seeing the actual Loch Ness Monster..... 😢

My thoughts too. Surely there are strikers in League 1, 2, National League who have an eye for goal and can be built up to the fitness levels required. Could even buy a couple in the transfer window but it's glaringly obvious that this guy is fragile

• Like 2

20 hours ago, egg said:

He's not out cos of the injury we signed him with. 

19 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

It'd got to be related albeit indirectly

In days gone by MLG would have jumped in explaining his ‘butterfly’ theory or something…. 

Not to mention asking FF for his evidence to back up his statement, burden of proof and all that 

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

In days gone by MLG would have jumped in explaining his ‘butterfly’ theory or something…. 

Not to mention asking FF for his evidence to back up his statement, burden of proof and all that 

I put it all down to an act of God.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I can't see him accepting anything below a PL level. If anything he's the West Hammiest signing I can think of, or possibly somewhere like Palace.

No chance of long term, but short term loan might be a possibility, don't think he wants to leave Chelsea and they don't want him to go, already rejected interest in him from Fulham. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/12/2023 at 22:12, FarehamSaintJames said:

Ross Stewart being out isn’t a loss. He was injured prior to signing, got to be one of our worst pieces of business when trying to go for promotion. He’s had a couple of fleeting appearances and no more.

The only loss is the thinning of the squad overall.

Retweet. 👍🏻

Is @manji still in disagreement?

Gutted for him.

Said at the time that I worry that the difference between us & Leeds could simply come down to them signing Piroe where we signed Stewart. Allegedly weren't interested in Piroe because we had to shift a striker first, and then signed an injured Ross for the same money with the same players in the building.

Bit of a baffling one which looks even worse now. 

What a tragic waste of money and once again a lack of care/due diligence by those in charge of the money. The medical team who gave the green light in the summer don’t come out of this looking too great either. Three year deal, too.

Pretty much two years out of the game by the time he returns. Can reword Martin’s quote to say it will be a huge bonus if he returns at a good level for us.

1 minute ago, HarvSFC said:

The medical team who gave the green light in the summer don’t come out of this looking too great either

If it's an injury that's unrelated to his previous injury (as per the Echo report this evening) then it could just be rotten luck, rather than misjudgment, couldn't it? 

Yes it is disappointing but we all know the club will waste absolutely no time at all in buying a replacement striker who before you know it will be announced at about quarter past ten on the night of 31st January. No messing about.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, trousers said:

Alfie @ The Echo saying it's a new injury (hamstring) whereas Adam @ Solent saying it's a reoccurrence of his achilles injury...

Screenshot_20231222-223754.png

Screenshot_20231222-224021.png

Adam has corrected his original post, now saying the same as the Echo, i.e. it's a new injury, not a recurrence of the previous one...

Screenshot_20231222-225643.png