Ross Stewart

InvictaSaint

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Imagine how embarrassing it will be for all of us if when he does play he's a wasteful as Adams, his absence is the crutch I've been leaning on all season.

We are not that unlucky are we?

Is he a possible for the play-offs? A Loch Ness Drogba on one leg could be a better bet than Che up front.

• Like 3

With Mara out for the next three games, a sighting of the monster would be very welcome. Although RM suggested he might be nearing fitness last Friday morning I haven't seen him in a training video yet.

Sunderland fans started a seven page discussion thread on him yesterday morning.

As you'd expect there are plenty praising their management for moving him on. But there are also plenty wishing him well, and pointing out that if fit his value would have been twice the fee the papers reported. 

Watching that League 1 highlight reel, and knowing he scored 11 goals in the 13 Championship matches he played makes me wonder how this season would have panned out without the hamstring tear after his return... maybe he could still make the difference.

COYRS

(Come on you Ross Stewart!) 

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
link edit
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Russell Martin confirmed at today's press conference that he'll be on the bench at Leeds all being well. 

It’ll go one of two ways….comes on,gets injured and out for a minimum 9 months..or…plays in the play off final (if we are lucky to get there)…and scores the winner  🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Russell Martin confirmed at today's press conference that he'll be on the bench at Leeds all being well. 

Surprised they haven’t got a friendly arranged so he can get some minutes or if he’ll feature in B team. If not think it’ll be 10-15 mins max given how long he’s been out for 

6 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Surprised they haven’t got a friendly arranged so he can get some minutes or if he’ll feature in B team. If not think it’ll be 10-15 mins max given how long he’s been out for 

This is very exciting and at least those going to Leeds get some value for the £47 spent 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, JRM said:

This is very exciting and at least those going to Leeds get some value for the £47 spent 

Can't wait to see him jog down the touchline, receive the applause from the travelling support, then sit down again when three wingers are introduced to the match after 65 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Can't wait to see him jog down the touchline, receive the applause from the travelling support, then sit down again when three wingers are introduced to the match after 65 minutes.

Take a ROSS STEWART CAN I HAVE YOUR SHIRT sign, he'd love the recognition 

I don’t want to say too much as I don’t want to alert the old bill but if you see 100 lunatics dressed like this on play off final day don’t be surprised if someone tells you it’s the DEF going undercover 

IMG_4201.jpeg

Edited by Turkish

9 hours ago, IFHP said:

If we can keep him fit and keep hold of Adam Armstrong then we could have a good strike force in the championship next season . 

That and two other strikers please. Adams can go to Wolves, Mara can go back to France and I want TWO more striker signings. I do not want to see AA play centrally all season when he's best out wide and I wouldn't be relying on Stewart staying fit all season.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SNSUN said:

That and two other strikers please. Adams can go to Wolves, Mara can go back to France and I want TWO more striker signings. I do not want to see AA play centrally all season when he's best out wide and I wouldn't be relying on Stewart staying fit all season.

Hopefully go for Whittaker or Haaji Wright, but I worry we may be priced out of them.

We moan about Adams by the way...he's still the 5th top goal scorer in the league. Ahead of Simms, Sargent, Chaplin, Wright - ahead of Piroe.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Hopefully go for Whittaker or Haaji Wright, but I worry we may be priced out of them.

We moan about Adams by the way...he's still the 5th top goal scorer in the league. Ahead of Simms, Sargent, Chaplin, Wright - ahead of Piroe.

The Adams issue is not how many he's scored, it's how many he's missed that he should have buried. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Yeah losing Adams on a free and not getting promoted would be a less than ideal scenario as would cost to replace him, although I do think Stewart was signed with that in mind.

Also considering we will need to replace the loan signings that are key players plus signing a first choice GK which probably wasnt planned before GB's injury.

Big summer ahead, with no DoF in place and a rookie CEO.

Edited by Dusic

Adams is not a main striker. He's an excellent supporting striker who can come deep and help create things, but he's not a natural finisher and his movement in the box is not great.

I worry that if we just swap him for Stewart in the current system then we won't create the chances for Stewart to put away.

It would have been interesting to try a 352 or even a 442 at times to see how Adams and Armstrong got on playing "up front" together in this division.

Edited by benjii
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Piroe has been an absolutely shit signing for Leeds. Their fans can't stand him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Piroe has been an absolutely shit signing for Leeds. Their fans can't stand him. 

Just putting "Piroe" into Twitter and the collective opinion is pretty clear.

Who knows, may have been a better fit for us but I no one can say our failure to get automatic promotion is because we didn't sign Joel Piroe.

Matt Grimes, though.....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Who knows, may have been a better fit for us but I no one can say our failure to get automatic promotion is because we didn't sign Joel Piroe.

Matt Grimes, though.....

Exactly. Both clubs messed up their striker signing for one reason or another. Failure to go up will see both looking back at their decisions as key contributors to non promotion.

Leeds will also be stuck with him if they can't get rid in the summer and I imagine he's on very chunky wages.

Just to add that the whole "Swansea don't want to sell us their players because of the way Martin left" stuff seems irrelevant now because other than Grimes who ended up staying there the other ones we were linked with have been pretty crap this season.

25 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Matt Grimes, though.....

I don't think they've made the best use of him really, he's been in and out of the team, sub here, sub there etc. He has consistently hit 20 odd goals a season for years at this level, so they should have just built the 11 around him with Summerville and Willy either side and Rutter in the 10. 

3 hours ago, benjii said:

Adams is not a main striker. He's an excellent supporting striker who can come deep and help create things, but he's not a natural finisher and his movement in the box is not great.

I worry that if we just swap him for Stewart in the current system then we won't create the chances for Stewart to put away.

It would have been interesting to try a 352 or even a 442 at times to see how Adams and Armstrong got on playing "up front" together in this division.

Yep. RM's style lends itself to 3 at the back for me, especially when we're short of a holding midfielder. That would give scope for 2 up top, and I  reckon Adams and AA would have been a cracking partnership at this level. 

• Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 06:57, egg said:

The Adams issue is not how many he's scored, it's how many he's missed that he should have buried. 

How many do you think Smozdics has missed this season? How many do you think Watkins or Haaland have missed?

Even the best goalscorers sit at around a 40-50% rate of shots on target. 

31 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

How many do you think Smozdics has missed this season? How many do you think Watkins or Haaland have missed?

Even the best goalscorers sit at around a 40-50% rate of shots on target. 

No idea, and no interest.

Do you not agree that Adams misses far too many chances? Are you happy with his conversion rate? 

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

He does miss chances that he should score, yes. 

If he scored every chance he should, he'd be a £100million player. 

Not really, for £100m I’d be expecting him to score goals you think how the fuck has he done that. 

Unfortunately, he misses and I’m thinking how the fuck has he done that!

On 27/04/2024 at 10:29, The Cat said:

Just to add that the whole "Swansea don't want to sell us their players because of the way Martin left" stuff seems irrelevant now because other than Grimes who ended up staying there the other ones we were linked with have been pretty crap this season.

Does anyone really think they'd accept a lower bid from someone else and reject a higher bid from us? I can see why they'd be reluctant to sell to us on the whole but no professional football club is putting a silly grudge before profit.

5 minutes ago, Challenger said:

Our " style" of play won't suit him anyway, can't see him getting much of the ball unless it's in our own box. 

We're three goals away from being the league's top scorers, despite Adams missing an absolute boatload of chances and Mara being useless. I don't think there are any strikers in the league who get more of the ball in the box than ours do, a better player than Adams would have 25 goals by now, from the chances he's had.

• Like 2