Ross Stewart

InvictaSaint

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Seems like he’s the final piece of the jigsaw. If he’s got anything about him he should be getting 20-25 goals this season the amount of chances we create. Going to take him until Christmas to get fully into shape though, 

We'll happily take 12+ then for the second half of the season. And with him becoming a focal point for defenders that could very well be to the advantage of others who could weigh in with a few more

• Like 1

Please be good. 

The best times supporting saints are when we have a prolific number 9.. the type of player that you start to expect to score every week. Beattie, lambert, Pelle, ings. 

If he’s even half as good as those guys it will make games so much more entertaining. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Osvaldorama said:

Please be good. 

The best times supporting saints are when we have a prolific number 9.. the type of player that you start to expect to score every week. Beattie, lambert, Pelle, ings. 

If he’s even half as good as those guys it will make games so much more entertaining. 

Charlie Wayman, Derek Reeves, Mile Channon, Martin Chivers, Ron Davies

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

11 years ago Billy Sharp was integral in helping us get over the line after signing in January with 9 goals in 15 matches.

No complaints if Stewart has a similar impact.

Billy is at a loose end now the mls season is over …

Edited by a1ex2001

1 hour ago, spyinthesky said:

All the Sunderland supporters I speak to reckon Stewart is the real deal and, if fit, will add another dimension to our forward play and is also decent defending corners.

There seems to be a pretty open acceptance across the board that Stewart is the best striker in the division.  If he can get fully fit, then we not only have a great striker for the rest of this season, but also one that we might not have to replace if we go up !

22 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

also one that we might not have to replace if we go up !

This is a critical point for me.  In recent years, with the notable exception of Watkins, the only strikers coming from the championship and scoring regularly in the PL are ones that come up with a team and play in a style they are already familiar with.  Think Lambert for us or Toney for Brentford.  If we have a striker who can do this for us it will be a huge piece of the quality we'd need to survive sorted.

Of course we need to get promoted first !

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

There seems to be a pretty open acceptance across the board that Stewart is the best striker in the division.  If he can get fully fit, then we not only have a great striker for the rest of this season, but also one that we might not have to replace if we go up !

I don't really understand that view 'yet', he's only ever played 4 or 5 months of football at this level. Surely to be considered the best striker in this league, he'd have had to have been doing it for at least a season and a half?

Sunderland's views of him stem from their L1 season where he was a beast, Lambert-esque vibes with that and how he took the step up. But I still think it's way too early to be calling him the best striker in this league, that's just setting up silly expectations in my opinion.

• Like 5

Just now, S-Clarke said:

I don't really understand that view 'yet', he's only ever played 4 or 5 months of football at this level. Surely to be considered the best striker in this league, he'd have had to have been doing it for at least a season and a half?

Sunderland's views of him stem from their L1 season where he was a beast, Lambert-esque vibes with that and how he took the step up. But I still think it's way too early to be calling him the best striker in this league, that's just setting up silly expectations in my opinion.

Correct. He may well turn out to be flipping excellent but, at the moment, he’s a bit of a novice at this level. Hopefully Stewart can do a Lambert and break ground at each increased level he finds himself at, but until then he has a lot to prove to be even considered amongst the best in the division.

• Like 3

On 06/11/2023 at 13:36, The Kraken said:

Correct. He may well turn out to be flipping excellent but, at the moment, he’s a bit of a novice at this level. Hopefully Stewart can do a Lambert and break ground at each increased level he finds himself at, but until then he has a lot to prove to be even considered amongst the best in the division.

Starting with proving his fitness sooner rather than later!  Right now he’s utterly useless and not even the best striker at the club!

• 3 weeks later...

Usually when a player doesn't appear in the match day squad when they're expected to, we get a pre-match insight from the likes of Adam Blackmore as to the reason behind it... Tonight? Not a dickie bird on Ross Stewart... Brace ourselves for bad news..? (reading between the lines)

Edited by trousers

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Usually when a player doesn't appear in the match day squad when they're expected to, we get a pre-match insight from the likes of Adam Blackmore as to the reason behind it... Tonight? Not a dickie bird on Ross Stewart... bad news potentially? (reading between the lines)

The Sky guy just saying, vaguely, that we were just being careful with his return from injury.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The Sky guy just saying, vaguely, that we were just being careful with his return from injury.

Fair enough. Would have expected Blackmore to have given us his usual snippet of insight on the situation by now in that case. Probably just me reading too much into it of course.

Edited by trousers

47 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

7 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Sounds like the Sky guy might have been talking out of his arse then? Sounds more serious than just being rested / eased back in...

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

Damn his (new) injury means we're crying out for a new striker.

Stewart is permanently injured. 

Adams is the invisible man, and bringing him on is akin to going down to 10 men.

Mara ain't cutting it and needs sacking off.

Is it any wonder we struggle to score?

Like Adams, Ross will be much like the invisible man in our system

6 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Isn't it pretty common for a different muscle injury to occur when recovering from a serious injury? Hopefully just a week or two but either way, it was a silly gamble we didn't need to take. 

Yeah, I was almost expecting him to get another injury pretty quickly after coming back. As you say let's just hope it's minor. If we really wanted him, should've just signed him in January and saved some wages. 

Ideally we need to ship out Adams and possibly Mara and sign a new forward in January. 

2 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

Meanwhile…….Piroe

Meanwhile what? You may as well mention every player who scored yesterday.

Not sure how many times it needs to be said but he obviously went to Leeds because THEY OFFERED HIM MORE MONEY. 

This isn't FIFA or Football Manager, you can't just sign who you want.

14 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Meanwhile what? You may as well mention every player who scored yesterday.

Not sure how many times it needs to be said but he obviously went to Leeds because THEY OFFERED HIM MORE MONEY

This isn't FIFA or Football Manager, you can't just sign who you want.

Source?

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

There were interviews after he signed where he said stuff about Leeds showing how much they wanted him which is shorthand for offered more money, because no player ever comes out and explicitly says that.

Right, so not obviously then

39 minutes ago, The Cat said:

There were interviews after he signed where he said stuff about Leeds showing how much they wanted him which is shorthand for offered more money, because no player ever comes out and explicitly says that.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/joel-piroe-reveals-what-happened-27991032

Joel Piroe says the ambition of manager Daniel Farke was a key factor in convincing him to make the move to Leeds United.

Piroe says Leeds felt like a good fit from the moment they showed an interest in his signature, and says a conversation with boss Farke helped seal the deal.

"I had a chat with the manager and he made clear what the ambitions of the club are and what they want to achieve," he added. "I wanted to do the same things as the club, so it made sense for me to make the move.

"I saw the squad and the potential there, and I knew it was somewhere I wanted to be."

What's saying that the manager was a key factor "shorthand" for....?

Edited by trousers

3 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

Meanwhile…….Piroe

Meanwhile….Piroe has 3 goals less in the league than Adam Armstrong who Martin specifically said in the summer was his version of Piroe. He’s not an out and out striker so was not a viable signing whilst we kept hold of Armstrong. 

Finished your sentence for you. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, trousers said:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/joel-piroe-reveals-what-happened-27991032

Joel Piroe says the ambition of manager Daniel Farke was a key factor in convincing him to make the move to Leeds United.

Piroe says Leeds felt like a good fit from the moment they showed an interest in his signature, and says a conversation with boss Farke helped seal the deal.

"I had a chat with the manager and he made clear what the ambitions of the club are and what they want to achieve," he added. "I wanted to do the same things as the club, so it made sense for me to make the move.

"I saw the squad and the potential there, and I knew it was somewhere I wanted to be."

What's saying that the manager was a key factor "shorthand" for....?

I'm sure Ronaldo et al said exactly the same when they went off to the M.E.

49 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Meanwhile….Piroe has 3 goals less in the league than Adam Armstrong who Martin specifically said in the summer was his version of Piroe. He’s not an out and out striker so was not a viable signing whilst we kept hold of Armstrong. 

Finished your sentence for you. 

Fair enough. Should have signed a non-injured striker then.

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Isn't it pretty common for a different muscle injury to occur when recovering from a serious injury? Hopefully just a week or two but either way, it was a silly gamble we didn't need to take. 

Well we needed a striker and Leeds won the race for Piroe so we had to do something but I am pretty sure we wont see the best of Stewart until next season probably. With Adams off in January (hopefully), we could do with a back up striker.

3 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Well we needed a striker and Leeds won the race for Piroe so we had to do something but I am pretty sure we wont see the best of Stewart until next season probably. With Adams off in January (hopefully), we could do with a back up striker.

There's this chap in the Turkish league I am hearing great things about - 7 goals in 9 games - maybe we should take a look at him?

• Like 1