Saints 1-4 Leicester - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

2 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Must admit, I got Manning all wrong. Thought he looked good in the friendlies but he needs to take his skates off and start defending properly because he's looking a real weak link. 

First thing is to take him off corner duty if he is playing at LB. Relying on Edozie while Manning, who is very slow, is diametrically opposite to where he needs to be is ridiculous. I don't believe there is no one else in the side that can take a decent corner. Surely Fraser would be a better bet for corners, because he is not much use in the box (because of his height). Seems the problem to me if Sunderland is to be followed is that Martin doesn't expect the two nominal full backs to be defensive, KWP is marauding all over the pitch. Personally I would prefer to see Larios at LB, perhaps Manning could be utilised in MF, which is where he has played a lot during his career (though I would not pick him there above any of Charles, Downes or Smallbone. All that said, I doubt very much Martin will drop Manning, ever.

• Like 4

This game could be anything. 0-0 or 5-5 or a very one sided spanking for either side. There will be spells of dull possession for both sides before Manning or Winks tread on the ball and sets up a counter attack which will be followed by a counter-counter attack. The last 15 mins plus 'injury' time will be manic. My advice if not going to SMS would be to record the game and fast forward the dull bits.

Hampshire v Leicestershire in the one day cricket cup final this Saturday as well

I remember back in 2012 turning down a ticket for Lords finalnto go to Arsenal away instead, think we lost that 6-1 , bad decision 

Edited by JRM
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

Bednarek off injured after 34 mins of Poland game….

I was just going to comment on him starting. I honestly don’t get it and why he is in most starting XI. Our defence has been awful last couple of seasons and the one consistent is Bednarek. In my eyes he is a terrible CB, cannot mark his man let alone read danger. I would change him and try any other combo and that includes Holgate, which is how much I feel he will cost us this year (even more than Baz believe it or not!). I’d give THB and Charles a go (not ideal but maybe build for next couple of seasons) as we need to fix our defence more than strengthen our midfield  

I said I’d judge RM in the transfer window on the keeper and CB situation and while I like a lot about our squad, as they say you can’t win anything with a dodgy defence and that is the politest way to describe ours. 

I’m hoping to tempt fate and be eating humble pie after a clean sheet and a win on Friday night!!!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, RobJones1971 said:

Our defence has been awful last couple of seasons and the one consistent is Bednarek.

He wasn't even playing for us for half of last season, so he is certainly not a consistent.

I did say though that only having 4 true CBs for this season (with Stephens seemingly out till Christmas, if you believe Wilcox over Martin) was madness and that was before I saw Holgate play. Looks like Olly Lancashire might be up for a recall at this rate.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

He wasn't even playing for us for half of last season, so he is certainly not a consistent.

I did say though that only having 4 true CBs for this season (with Stephens seemingly out till Christmas, if you believe Wilcox over Martin) was madness and that was before I saw Holgate play. Looks like Olly Lancashire might be up for a recall at this rate.

You are correct. I just struggle to see past Bednarek’s poor performances for us over recent seasons (we all have players that we point the finger at and I guess he is mine!).  Him, Stephens and Bazunu will not get us promoted no matter how well we play going forward. To find a CB better than the ones we have doesn’t seem that difficult but it must be a lot harder than we all realise as surely Wilcox et al knew we had to strengthen there. 

Saying that I’m already preferring the Championship over the EPL of the last few seasons!!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

4 first team CBs is plenty for any championship side. 

No championship side will keep any level of CB (other than youngsters) as 5th choice. 

I'm guessing last promotion season we used 2 or 3?

Jack Stevens

Jan B

Shea Charles

Holgate

THB

James Bree and Ryan Manning have both played as first team CBs. 

I can see an argument to sign to improve a starting CB but I would say signing more back up than the above would be madness. 

What are the chances of having so many injured we need to use Bree as CB? And for that remote chance would we get a better 7th choice than Bree? 

Edit 

Fonte 39

Jos Hoo 36

Martin 10

Edited by West end Saints
  • Like 2

On 10/09/2023 at 22:22, VectisSaint said:

When we were promoted from this division last time we had Fonte and Hooiveld who basically played 40 games or so, and no other CB played even ten games (eg Danny Seaborn played 3 times). That's basically what you are looking for.

Why on earth do we or any other Championship team suddenly need five or six front line centre backs?

How is it "madness" to "only" have 4?

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Yes Holgate had a horror debut but to be frank, to pick him when so obviously ring rusty was foolhardy, especially when there were alternatives. He will get another chance for sure, hopefully he will be improved so let’s not write him off just yet. We can’t afford to. 

• Like 4

With the benefit of the doubt given to Mr Martin for the result at Sunderland through the uncertainty and disruption brought about by the end of the transfer window, it is difficult to see how things can be much better on Friday with the limited preparation possible with most of our players away on international duty.

Maybe it's the same for Leicester and these things even themselves out but apart from offering Mr Martin an obvious let out if things go badly, a bad result will do nothing for the morale of players or fans; there is also the ever present danger of things then starting to spin out of control with a good Ipswich side here on Tuesday evening and a weekend in between with presumably limited preparation time again.

It is difficult to see past a draw at best with team selection an obvious concern amplified by some players suffering from their international exertions and not being fit enough to start. One thing we can almost count upon is not having a clean sheet so a draw at 1-1 is very likely our best outcome.

If we gift them a second goal then probably we will end up losing 1-3. I am preparing for both outcomes and the fall-out that will follow.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

On 09/09/2023 at 16:13, VectisSaint said:

First thing is to take him off corner duty if he is playing at LB. Relying on Edozie while Manning, who is very slow, is diametrically opposite to where he needs to be is ridiculous. I don't believe there is no one else in the side that can take a decent corner. Surely Fraser would be a better bet for corners, because he is not much use in the box (because of his height). Seems the problem to me if Sunderland is to be followed is that Martin doesn't expect the two nominal full backs to be defensive, KWP is marauding all over the pitch. Personally I would prefer to see Larios at LB, perhaps Manning could be utilised in MF, which is where he has played a lot during his career (though I would not pick him there above any of Charles, Downes or Smallbone. All that said, I doubt very much Martin will drop Manning, ever.

You've got to wonder how Liverpool have gotten away with their full backs taking the opposite corners for years..

23 hours ago, RobJones1971 said:

You are correct. I just struggle to see past Bednarek’s poor performances for us over recent seasons (we all have players that we point the finger at and I guess he is mine!).  Him, Stephens and Bazunu will not get us promoted no matter how well we play going forward. To find a CB better than the ones we have doesn’t seem that difficult but it must be a lot harder than we all realise as surely Wilcox et al knew we had to strengthen there. 

Saying that I’m already preferring the Championship over the EPL of the last few seasons!!

Totally agree with this. Would be happy to win the league and forfeit  promotion 😆

how many players have Leicester had on international duty? We seem to have quite a few so wont be a lot of preparation time as most of them will probably arrive back today or tomorrow, so probably only get one training session in if they're lucky. Not ideal to fix our sieve of a defence.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

how many players have Leicester had on international duty? We seem to have quite a few so wont be a lot of preparation time as most of them will probably arrive back today or tomorrow, so probably only get one training session in if they're lucky. Not ideal to fix our sieve of a defence.

A fair few - Faes, Daka, Souttar, Hermansen, Ndidi, Iheanacho, Doyle, Ward, Fatawu, Casadei from what I can see on their website.

Fair chance we get no points from this one and Ipswich. Will be all doom and gloom on here, but both will be up there at the end of the season. Personally think we'll still be mid-table at the end as we ship too many goals and feels almost in the DNA now. Said this at start of season and only getting a good experienced keeper in will make a difference. Bazanu cost us relegation last season and will cost us promotion this. Hey ho.

• Confused 1

Just now, VectisSaint said:

Well yes, that's the point, he needs to have a head start to have any chance of defending a fast counter attack, so back well behind the ball.

You're making no sense.  Manning clearly has good delivery but you'd rather he didn't take the corner, stand 10 yards off a player so he has a head start in a counter attack.  Ok.

I think if you review that first goal at Sunderland Edozie did get back to cover and slow their left winger down: the issue was the ball being moved across to their right and then when it came back in he had lost concentration and lost his man. It wasn't that we were relying on Manning to get back to do the initial covering: nobody thinks he has the speed to do that, but the player allocated the task who was fast enough didn't see the job through. His reaction shows that well enough.

The issue of who takes corners and should they is a bit of a red herring when the obviously tasked player, chosen for his speed presumably,  makes an individual mistake.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, suewhistle said:

I think if you review that first goal at Sunderland Edozie did get back to cover and slow their left winger down: the issue was the ball being moved across to their right and then when it came back in he had lost concentration and lost his man. It wasn't that we were relying on Manning to get back to do the initial covering: nobody thinks he has the speed to do that, but the player allocated the task who was fast enough didn't see the job through. His reaction shows that well enough.

The issue of who takes corners and should they is a bit of a red herring when the obviously tasked player, chosen for his speed presumably,  makes an individual mistake.

The other issue was KWP didn't break out of a jog to get back and support him. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, DT said:

Yes, and the free agent transfers available outside the window too. Thanks

So, after Martin's very passionate defence of Bazunu and a very clear message from the club that we had our Number One, and absolutely no activity to buy or loan a first choice keeper at all, you still thought that what the club were actually planning was to wait until the window closed and then panic recruit some freebie? You thought that was remotely plausible?

Honestly there is no helping some people. 

Jesus wept.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, notnowcato said:

You're making no sense.  Manning clearly has good delivery but you'd rather he didn't take the corner, stand 10 yards off a player so he has a head start in a counter attack.  Ok.

OK, sorry it's a bit difficult for you to understand. Yes I'd rather he didn't take corners (on the right at least), leaving him hopelessly out of position when we lose the ball (as we tend to do 90 % of the time) and that instead he takes up a defensive position (allegedly he is a defender). Hopefully we will see someone like Fraser perhaps taking on corner duties.

Personally I'd rather Manning wasn't on the pitch at all because he is not very good at his job (defending), but we don't have too many options and anyway he is a manager's favourite so unlikely to be dropped. He would actually be better suited in MF where he has played many of his games, but at the moment we seem to be quite well stocked in that area.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

So, after Martin's very passionate defence of Bazunu and a very clear message from the club that we had our Number One, and absolutely no activity to buy or loan a first choice keeper at all, you still thought that what the club were actually planning was to wait until the window closed and then panic recruit some freebie? You thought that was remotely plausible?

Honestly there is no helping some people. 

Jesus wept.

No, I didn't think they would do that. I mean, what a weird assumption/deflection from what I wrote (typical of you though). But I was hoping they would invest in a decent keeper in the transfer window, and once they hadn't, that they would get in proven keepers who are free agents - two of which even you might have heard of.

Jesus does a lot of weeping in your world. Perhaps we should get him in.

#block

1 hour ago, DT said:

No, I didn't think they would do that. I mean, what a weird assumption/deflection from what I wrote (typical of you though). But I was hoping they would invest in a decent keeper in the transfer window, and once they hadn't, that they would get in proven keepers who are free agents - two of which even you might have heard of.

#block

We were never going to get a free agent keeper. Doesn't matter if it was bloody Kasper Schmeichel or reanimated Gordon Banks it was never, ever going to happen.

1 hour ago, DT said:

#block

It's going to get very tiring if we have to hear this all season. It's plainly obvious that the club and the manager have put all their eggs in the Bazunu basket, they are behind him and they will play him as our number 1.

If that's the right call or not remains to be seen, but there's nothing any of us can do about it other than get behind the 11 on the pitch and stop the micro-analysing of every goal that is conceded.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's going to get very tiring if we have to hear this all season. It's plainly obvious that the club and the manager have put all their eggs in the Bazunu basket, they are behind him and they will play him as our number 1.

If that's the right call or not remains to be seen, but there's nothing any of us can do about it other than get behind the 11 on the pitch and stop the micro-analysing of every goal that is conceded.

Letting Bazunu carry a basket of eggs is not something I would do.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I think that’s a great idea for a new megastore product - ‘The Bazunu Basket’. The perfect Easter gift. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Why are those two things mutually exclusive? Surely it’s possible to support the 11 on the pitch and then afterwards micro-analyse the goals conceded?  It’s what football supporters do…weird not to really, especially on a football forum!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Why are those two things mutually exclusive? Surely it’s possible to support the 11 on the pitch and then afterwards micro-analyse the goals conceded?  It’s what football supporters do…weird not to really, especially on a football forum!

A couple of those goals he let in at Sunderland dont need much micro analysis, they were bloody obvious to anyone that they were his fault regardless of the role the defence played beforehand. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Letting Bazunu carry a basket of eggs is not something I would do.

This is unfair as it's clear that he wouldn't be able to pick a basket of eggs up.  Club are aware, and he's currently doing some great tricep conditioning work with a six pack of Fortnum & Mason quails eggs, but we are a couple of years away from a full basket.  For goodness sake give him time. 

https://x.com/southamptonfc/status/1701931280051351999?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

Many of the international players have returned. I spot THB, Stu, Charles, Doyle, Smallbone, Mara and Edozie on this clip.

Also KWP who wasn’t mentioned by Alfie house as a player he saw training when he went to watch the other day. Kamaldeen features, wonder if he is ready yet? 

Edited by goodymatt

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-4 Leicester - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic