Saints 0-1 Ipswich - Match Thread

Saint Garrett

16 minutes ago, Dman said:

Which is why he's not the right long term manager for us - We'd face 'decent opponents' every week should we somehow go up. 

I genuinely fear if we go up, we might see scorelines more than the 2 9's ralph delivered.

well we were perhaps a little lucky only to lose by 5 at Sunderland, god knows what someone like Man City or Liverpool would do to us. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JRM said:

I'm still rolling on the floor laughing about his comments about Bazunu and how we'll have to keep him grounded when he has a few clean sheets and everyone starts calling him the best keeper in the league 

Didn't the manager already tell everyone that Bazunu will be in the team of the season?

Is he suggesting that he'll need to intervene if anyone else repeats his claims?

Weird.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

well we were perhaps a little lucky only to lose by 5 at Sunderland, god knows what someone like Man City or Liverpool would do to us. 

Imo we should just count ourselves to lucky to be in Englands 2nd division!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

The errors that led to goals are put down to nervousness, not the tactics.

Is he off his head? 

Yeah it was nervousness that caused our entire outfield 10 to be in the opponents half, often on the edge of their box and then get caught out with a sloppy pace and counter attacked with ease, definitely not the tactics. 

• Like 5

On 16/09/2023 at 22:24, Whitey Grandad said:

I shan’t be going. My beautiful wife and constant companion of over 57 years is gravely ill and I shall not be leaving her side. Our grandson has my ticket and he will give me a full and honest report.

Myself and my families thoughts are with you WG,  Family is more important than anything else at the time. Sevvy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

That argument would have flown if we hadn't shed who we did in the summer. This is a totally new team really, in many cases a lot of these guys have no real connection with the last few years so they shouldn't be hindered by that.

Bazunu, KWP, Bednarek, Adams, Armstrong (A), Armstrong (S), Edozie, Aribo, Alcaraz, Kamaldeen, arguably Smallbone, all involved last season and on Friday (except Bednarek). Not really a totally new team. 3 out of 4 defenders new plus Downes and Fraser.

Like others much of what RM said in the press conference didn't make too much sense to me. Rather than keep saying we're giving away too many sloppy goals and too many early goals I'd prefer him to explain what he's doing to put that right. After every game in the next presser he always says we've had a great response in training, we're really pleased with how everyone is working but that is not being reflected in how we play. The only game we've played remotely well in was Sheff Wed away and they've demonstrated since what a poor side they are. He claims players from his previous clubs are calling him up and telling him his methods are now working and they wish they could tell our guys to hang on in there and we'll see similar results. His previous clubs are Swansea and Milton Keynes Dons who are not exactly ripping up trees. I worry that we'll see more of the same tomorrow and then listen to more of the same from RM. We need to hear and see something very different but I fear he is like a stuck record.

Thought it was pretty amateur of him to call out a fan behind the dug-out who'd been hurling abuse - ok, he's right to say it doesn't help but he should be professional enough to rise above that sort of thing.

Edited by saintant
  • Like 2

I guess I am in the minority who thinks give the bloke a fucking chance.

Two shit league results and he is suddenly worse than mad Nate.

If we are still getting battered after 15 games then you can all say I told you so.

He is right about the booing and jeering at the players when we have the ball by our box.

THB,Baz and Charles are just fucking kids so give them a break and get behind them tomorrow night.

Edited by northam soul
  • Like 19

18 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Bazunu, KWP, Bednarek, Adams, Armstrong (A), Armstrong (S), Edozie, Aribo, Alcaraz, Kamaldeen, arguably Smallbone, all involved last season and on Friday (except Bednarek). Not really a totally new team. 3 out of 4 defenders new plus Downes and Fraser.

Only Baz from that lot was a weekly starter. Bednarek was at Villa, Adams in/out of the team and public enemy number 1, AA was mostly a sub at best, ditto SA, Edozie was in and out, Aribo a reserve, Alcaraz and Kamaladeen were late to the party, Smallbone was at Stoke.

S-Clarke is correct, the nucleus of this years team is new. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

It’s all down to the negativity and nothing to do bat shit mental tactics, righto Russel, we will clap and cheer even if it’s 0 - 4, embrace the pain…….. fuck off you smooth haired twat

mid table is the best we are going to get

I can understand the concerns and frustration with our setup and tactics--I share them--but that is unacceptable and counter-productive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

It would be an absolute mauling. Imagine Haaland, Alvarez, and Foden being left 3 on 1 against us. 

31 minutes ago, northam soul said:

If we are still getting battered after 15 games then you can all say I told you so.

He is right about the booing and jeering at the players when we have the ball by our box.

THB,Baz and Charles are just fucking kids so give them a break and get behind them tomorrow night.

I'd be with you if what's happening now is anything new. It isn't though - this is what happened and Swansea. He couldn't change it there, and so far has made no tactical changes here to improve things. If we lose heavily tomorrow he has to be under huge pressure. 

I'm partly with you on the booing and jeering the players during the game point. Sure, we need to get behind the lads, but you can't seriously expect disgruntled fans not to acknowledge  shite play or mistakes. Sure, a few of the players are kids, but if they're apparently good enough to play, then they're old enough to take due criticism. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

I reckon we’re definitely nailed on to concede at least 2, so we have to hope we can bag 3 goals ourselves to get a result.

Get your money on us conceding in at least two from the First minute, last minute of the half and start of the second half or just after we score.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Too much hysteric reactions to these press conferences imo same with nj .. whatever Any manager says after shit results can be torn apart really 

I think people are concerned that he's trotting out the same stuff but nothing changes on the pitch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saintant said:

I think people are concerned that he's trotting out the same stuff but nothing changes on the pitch.

I’m just saying if he comes out and says his tactics are wrong it makes him look bad and also backs him into a corner with using the tactics he believes in , on the other hand if he try’s to take a positive spin on the bad result everyone thinks he’s deluded 

• Like 1

Just now, pimpin4rizeal said:

I’m just saying if he comes out and says his tactics are wrong it makes him look bad and also backs him into a corner with using the tactics he believes in , on the other hand if he try’s to take a positive spin on the bad result everyone thinks he’s deluded 

He needs to show some insight that what's happening is a clusterfuck and needs changing pronto. Not acknowledging that, and trotting out the same naive tactics on the pitch, doesn't inspire any confidence. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, notnowcato said:

2 bad results and all the beds are well and truly shat. 

Behave. It's been downhill since Wednesday. He arrived with naive tactics and still uses the same naive tactics. If the performances are positives, the fans will be. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Behave. It's been downhill since Wednesday. He arrived with naive tactics and still uses the same naive tactics. If the performances are positives, the fans will be. 

Agree, all whilst seeming quite smug that he knows best and its the players and fans who have to go on a journey of discovery to understand his vision (which takes a lot of time as its so groundbreaking and revolutionary) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

There's a hell of a lot gone wrong in the last two games but I've not heard him say what he's planning to do to put it right. Seems to me he's got far too much faith in the system he's trying to get us playing - can't see it ending well. If we lose the next two he'll be under considerable pressure to change because the fans were given the impression he was brought here to secure promotion.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

2 bad results and all the beds are well and truly shat. 

We haven't played well so far and even RM has admitted that. The last two games have been a car crash so that's 7 games including Gillingham where we've been average, poor or shocking. My sheets are clean but there's loud alarm bells ringing in my head and I can hear them because it's not buried in the sand. 

Edited by saintant
  • Like 6

Yep. Expectation levels in this job are much higher than he’s had in the past. He can’t just win a few, lose a few here and expect to be given a pass. Rightly or wrongly (rightly, in my opinion given our squad and resources), the expectations from the fans are to be challenging for automatic promotion if not winning this league. That means winning most games. That’s what he took on when he took the job, that’s the performance expectation level he’s going to be held to. Contrast that with what he’s actually delivered so far and his complete lack of track record to point to, and it’s not difficult to see why people are already questioning whether he’s got the ability to do it. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

We haven't played well so far and even RM has admitted that. The last two games have been a car crash so that's 7 games including Gillingham where we've been average, poor or shocking. My sheets are clean but there's loud alarm bells ringing in my head and I can here them because it's not buried in the sand. 

The only game we've looked decent in was the Wednesday one and they were in turmoil. I'd imagine most League 1 teams would've beaten them. 

Gillingham was appalling albeit with a weakened side. Players played out of position and they clearly didn't understand the system. 

Norwich we looked ok going forward but horrendous at the back and needed a soft penalty to secure a draw.

Plymouth we didn't play well at all for 60 minutes and relied on a last minute goal to get the win.

QPR was a poor performance against a very average team. 

Sunderland and Leicester were diabolical.

It's true that a competent manager would've got more out of our squad so far. I don't buy this "we've got to go through pain to get to where we want to be". Why do we? By the time we've got though the pain the season will be over and we'll have finished mid table.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, egg said:

I'd be with you if what's happening now is anything new. It isn't though - this is what happened and Swansea. He couldn't change it there, and so far has made no tactical changes here to improve things. If we lose heavily tomorrow he has to be under huge pressure. 

I'm partly with you on the booing and jeering the players during the game point. Sure, we need to get behind the lads, but you can't seriously expect disgruntled fans not to acknowledge  shite play or mistakes. Sure, a few of the players are kids, but if they're apparently good enough to play, then they're old enough to take due criticism. 

Didn't he change it at Swansea before they went on their end of season winning streak? I'm sure I read one of their fans on here saying that he did. 

2 hours ago, northam soul said:

There weren’t just “shit results” though. Both games were chillingly inept. Worse then anything Jones conjured up and that was at least in the PL. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, saintant said:

There's a hell of a lot gone wrong in the last two games but I've not heard him say what he's planning to do to put it right. Seems to me he's got far too much faith in the system he's trying to get us playing - can't see it ending well. If we lose the next two he'll be under considerable pressure to change because the fans were given the impression he was brought here to secure promotion.

This is the thing,, we know he’s gonna stick to his beliefs and tactics and that’s what landed him the gig in the first place .. so he’s obviously not gonna say things that admits he was wrong and backs him into a corner where he can’t use his preferred tactics..

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, JRM said:

Agree, all whilst seeming quite smug that he knows best and its the players and fans who have to go on a journey of discovery to understand his vision (which takes a lot of time as its so groundbreaking and revolutionary) 

I can’t remember who said the quote, but it is a wise one :-

“football is a simple game made complicated by managers”

Seems to sum up RM if it is such a wildly amazingly complicated ‘process’ that it takes months for the players to learn it.

Here is mine - play with a recognisable defensive formation, keep midfield tight, and allow you forwards to run into space and pass the ball to them quickly. 

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Yep. Expectation levels in this job are much higher than he’s had in the past. He can’t just win a few, lose a few here and expect to be given a pass. Rightly or wrongly (rightly, in my opinion given our squad and resources), the expectations from the fans are to be challenging for automatic promotion if not winning this league. That means winning most games. That’s what he took on when he took the job, that’s the performance expectation level he’s going to be held to. Contrast that with what he’s actually delivered so far and his complete lack of track record to point to, and it’s not difficult to see why people are already questioning whether he’s got the ability to do it. 

You mean the P6 W3 D1. The table doesn’t lie, or does it??

1 minute ago, notnowcato said:

I’m guessing Forest was before your time as a Saints fan. 

Forest are were a better side than relegated Leicester and Sunderland not long out of the third tier. You keep burying your head sunshine. The man is a loser and it will end in tears unfortunately. Some just reading the writing on the wall a little earlier than those with roses trailing over their glasses. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

Forest are were a better side than relegated Leicester and Sunderland not long out of the third tier. You keep burying your head sunshine. The man is a loser and it will end in tears unfortunately. Some just reading the writing on the wall a little earlier than those with roses trailing over their glasses. 

Yep. The writing was on the wall before he arrived. The letters are getting bigger with each game, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

That argument would have flown if we hadn't shed who we did in the summer. This is a totally new team really, in many cases a lot of these guys have no real connection with the last few years so they shouldn't be hindered by that.

Burnley changed up so much last season, both playing side and the way they played (and theirs was an extreme change from long ball, to football). We're not going from Dyche to Martin, these guys know how to play football already.

The whole needing time is just an excuse really. Good players are good players at the end of the day. We've got enough good players, and we don't have time to 'build' if we want to get promoted. If we're not careful we'll be building ourselves to a playoff fight on the last day, which will be totally unacceptable in my opinion.

He’ll be history shortly, sounded like a more articulate Nathan Jones with the underlying defensiveness. Blaming others and the fans. I’m already thinking of him as a caretaker, dread to think who the club will go for next. Wilcox might as well have a go himself, can’t do any worse than the garbage over the last 12-18 months in the dug out. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

He's hardly going to lead in a press conference 'yeah my bad sorry guys'   Zero surprise at  what he said. If he has decided to change things a little then he isn't going to tell the opposition.

Nor should we all go overboard at a few bad results. We've been here before. It will click at some point. Like most on here I think that will be when RM has accepted that his strategy needs adjusting, and he has Stephens back. Obviously being uber positive.

Hopefully Bendarek will partnrr THB. That will allow Charles to play in his best position, potentially pushing Smallbone further forward.

I just hope they keep a clean sheet. Last one, in the league, was Man Utd in early March. That's ridiculous.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, vectraman said:

Here is mine - play with a recognisable defensive formation, keep midfield tight, and allow you forwards to run into space and pass the ball to them quickly. 

Saints have a better squad than most teams. As you keep it simple and let the player's superior skill, experience and (maybe) fitness win the games.

1 minute ago, macca155 said:

Saints have a better squad than most teams. As you keep it simple and let the player's superior skill, experience and (maybe) fitness win the games.

That's what I saw when watching Leeds at the weekend. Pretty simple game plan for an away side. Soaked up a bit of pressure then let their forward players win the game for them comfortably.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saintant said:

Like others much of what RM said in the press conference didn't make too much sense to me. Rather than keep saying we're giving away too many sloppy goals and too many early goals I'd prefer him to explain what he's doing to put that right. After every game in the next presser he always says we've had a great response in training, we're really pleased with how everyone is working but that is not being reflected in how we play. The only game we've played remotely well in was Sheff Wed away and they've demonstrated since what a poor side they are. He claims players from his previous clubs are calling him up and telling him his methods are now working and they wish they could tell our guys to hang on in there and we'll see similar results. His previous clubs are Swansea and Milton Keynes Dons who are not exactly ripping up trees. I worry that we'll see more of the same tomorrow and then listen to more of the same from RM. We need to hear and see something very different but I fear he is like a stuck record.

Thought it was pretty amateur of him to call out a fan behind the dug-out who'd been hurling abuse - ok, he's right to say it doesn't help but he should be professional enough to rise above that sort of thing.

the fan hurling abuse was Mad Nat...................

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs Ipswich - Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 0-1 Ipswich - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic