Hull 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

Stud mark of doom

On 05/10/2023 at 12:07, spyinthesky said:

Think last time we played there Victor Wanyama scored our goal in a 1-0 win

On 06/10/2023 at 10:51, John Boy Saint said:

That was an “I was their moment” ……………..you could see their keeper the moment Victor hit it thinking “oh bugger!”.

Would never have happened under Russ-ball. Wanyama had a much safer option passing back to our own keeper... ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hull have a very odd home record so far this season as below. Looks odds one for a draw. But as I have said before, we are impossible to predict as we never know if RM is gonna go more direct or pick the best players in the best position. We could win the game if at our best etc.

Hull City 5 1 4 0 7 5 +2

• Like 1

Despite all the turbulence amongst fans right now it’s certainly not putting people off. Having a scoot around the UI it says around 2,000 already sold for Hull and a not too shabby 1,300+ for the 500-mile round trip to Preston for the SKY game a few days later.

The club can knock some fans for the booing but they can’t knock the effort put in with all these long distance treks oop north. 3,000 almost gone for Millwall too.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Despite all the turbulence amongst fans right now it’s certainly not putting people off. Having a scoot around the UI it says around 2,000 already sold for Hull and a not too shabby 1,300+ for the 500-mile round trip to Preston for the SKY game a few days later.

The club can knock some fans for the booing but they can’t knock the effort put in with all these long distance treks oop north. 3,000 almost gone for Millwall too.

It's impressive, we'd taken maximum allocation for Hull of 2,239, looks just over 200 left hopefully we can shift a few more of those over the next week. 

I remember going to Hull for a big defeat around 2009 and we probably had 1/4 of that. I know some of this is due to fans wanting to visit a ground they haven't done before and we probably won't take as many next season but those numbers deserve a lot of credit in my opinion, certainly not a cheap away day and plenty of other things to spend money on at the moment. 

• Like 2

On 13/10/2023 at 13:51, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Quite, some of the club plants on here would apologise for the fan-blaming on here if they had anything about them. But they won’t because they have their orders to divide the fan base. They are supposed to be professionals with one of the very biggest budgets in this division so get the three points, some clean sheets and stop whining. You’ve got the tools so get the job done and at least give the club a shot at the play offs.

Our away fans are one of the most vocal around when we can see a team giving their all, playing at a decent tempo and being positive. We don’t enjoy being an experiment for non-effective methods or philosophies. 

Instead, as someone has posted, THB’s seeming injury will give the club another weak excuse for a 3-1 defeat at Hull. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Hull vs Saints - Saturday 3pm
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic
On 11/10/2023 at 16:26, bangkoksaint said:

Forest Pines hotel for a decent weekend of golf and football is well recommended!! You may even see the team as like many in the past Saints have used it the night before playing Hull.

Think we spoke about this A while ago. I Played there at the start of the year. In reception are framed shirts from clubs who have stayed there. Including a saints shirt, the red cortese one which was the highest selling all red kit in China ever or something. Very nice hotel and course 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

For those fans ( if there are any left) that hope for automatic promotion then losing to Hull is unacceptable.

For those fans hoping for a play of place losing or even drawing to Hull is unacceptable.

For those fans accepting / thinking we will lose to Hull , losing to the likes of Hull is exactly why we aren’t challenging for automatic promotion and why a play off place is looking less and less likely.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 11/10/2023 at 12:02, Shropshire Saint said:

Hull have ex Saint Alfie Jones as a regular at centre back.  He looked to be half decent when he played for our Under 21s about 4 years ago but was let go. 

That was a strange one as he did look good, and has quickly gone onto prove that he is a decent player, certainly better than most (any?) other centre back we've had coming through since. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, disconnect said:

That was a strange one as he did look good, and has quickly gone onto prove that he is a decent player, certainly better than most (any?) other centre back we've had coming through since. 

Probably because at the time we let him go we were an established mid table premier league team , rather than Hull who are a mid table championship team .

You are right now, hindsight and all that seeing as we are now a mid table championship team then he would probably do ok for us . 

Edited by IFHP
  • Like 2

Edozie and Sulemana on either wing could be pretty decent. I think the last three matches we’ve been over reliant on Sulemana to create things. Get Edozie on the other side with KWP overlapping and on paper it looks pretty exciting. Two wingers who run at pace and take players on.

Also, Russell Martin, you don’t always have to make 5 subs. Probably shouldn’t to a team leading by one goal, as it can also prove disruptive for the team.

• Like 3

Certainly not expecting much from this game with so many of our players away on international duty. For our game to work cohesiveness is key and more than a day or two of preparation will be needed to reconnect this lot of misfits.

I've pretty much given up on predictions but our inabiity to score from simple chances at one end and our tendency for the defence to go missing periodically at the other suggest we might not get anything at all from this match. Hull will certainly want to get their own fans off their backs after a poor run of home results and a win is probably the least they will want. OK then 0-4.

20 hours ago, disconnect said:

Realistically he's playing for Hull after a stint up in Scotland. 

Had he stayed here, he'd have been competing with ABK, Salisu, DCC etc who are now all playing in European football. Even now, we have 3 CB's who you'd argue are better. 

Fair play to the lad for carving out a career at a decent level, but he wouldn't have made it here. 

11 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Edozie and Sulemana on either wing could be pretty decent. I think the last three matches we’ve been over reliant on Sulemana to create things. Get Edozie on the other side with KWP overlapping and on paper it looks pretty exciting. Two wingers who run at pace and take players on.

Also, Russell Martin, you don’t always have to make 5 subs. Probably shouldn’t to a team leading by one goal, as it can also prove disruptive for the team.

Edozie and Sulemana have got to be the starting two really. Now he'll probably play Fraser and Aribo or something...! Still waiting for Fraser to start ripping it up...

On 16/10/2023 at 04:56, IFHP said:

For those fans ( if there are any left) that hope for automatic promotion then losing to Hull is unacceptable.

For those fans hoping for a play of place losing or even drawing to Hull is unacceptable.

For those fans accepting / thinking we will lose to Hull , losing to the likes of Hull is exactly why we aren’t challenging for automatic promotion and why a play off place is looking less and less likely.

Fair enough on the auto promotion (I never expected us to be top 2 this season if I'm honest), but a point a Hull would be fine. To get in the playoffs you've needed 69, 75, 77, 70, 74, 75, 80, 74, 78 across the last 9 seasons, (avg of 74.66 points - an avg of 1.62ppg). 

We've started slowly, which I think most level headed fans expected us to given the turmoil and complete change in way of playing.  We've currently got 1.55 ppg.  

In my opinion, we'll get stronger as the season goes on. We have 35 games to play, and 105 points to play for.  We should need about 1.65ppg on avg for the rest of the season to get into the playoffs based on the avg of last 9 seasons. That doesn't require us to win every game. Clearly our home form needs to improve, and we need to be getting wins away from home, but to be saying it looks "less and less likely" if we lose away to Hull is just daft IMO.

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

We will not get the best out of Sulemana in our current possession based approach. He is lightening quick and needs some passes out in front of him to enable him to use his pace. At the moment in our system he generally receives the ball and finds himself in a standing start so always has to beat an opponent to get forward. Stick some longer balls in behind and watch him go.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

We will not get the best out of Sulemana in our current possession based approach. He is lightening quick and needs some passes out in front of him to enable him to use his pace. At the moment in our system he generally receives the ball and finds himself in a standing start so always has to beat an opponent to get forward. Stick some longer balls in behind and watch him go.

He's done much more of that since he's come back into the side. but I'd say it's actually him that seems to slow it down, rather than the tactics. Teammates are shouting at him to move the ball quicker. He also needs to not start trying to take it round 5 players in the LB position, no benefit at all, I can't imagine Martin is asking him to do that.

24 minutes ago, disconnect said:

I was thinking he may be started through the middle with Alcaraz (in and out of the team anyway) possibly rested after a long journey. 

Think it's more likely Arma plays in the position he's excelled in, and Adams or Mara will start. I'm expecting Stewart to be on the bench. Can't see Martin moving Arma though.

52 minutes ago, saintant said:

Funny.

He looks decent with the ball at his feet when 1 on 1 with an isolated full back.  But yeah, possession something something blah 

• Confused 1

Getting the best out of Sulemana - and Charlie-  may well be the key to promotion. 

I do not really care what formation or tactical theory we play as long as we give those two the ball as often as possible. And defend stoutly. That should be enough at this level. 

Was’nt our tactic once to just give the ball to le tiss and everyone else work your butts off to stop the oppo scoring? (Pub quiz which manager precisely?) 

Im not comparing KS & Charlie with MLT but they are all “ difference makers” - in the first two cases we should preface difference makers with “ potential” as MLT was obviously proven outstanding whilst those two , and to alesser extent Sam and Amo are all full of potential but not really done much consistently excellent of note - yet. 🙏

5 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Getting the best out of Sulemana - and Charlie-  may well be the key to promotion. 

I do not really care what formation or tactical theory we play as long as we give those two the ball as often as possible. And defend stoutly. That should be enough at this level. 

Was’nt our tactic once to just give the ball to le tiss and everyone else work your butts off to stop the oppo scoring? (Pub quiz which manager precisely?) 

Im not comparing KS & Charlie with MLT but they are all “ difference makers” - in the first two cases we should preface difference makers with “ potential” as MLT was obviously proven outstanding whilst those two , and to alesser extent Sam and Amo are all full of potential but not really done much consistently excellent of note - yet. 🙏

Alan Ball.  Football has somewhat moved on from those days but it actually feels we are trying to be too clever with the limited squad we have - and an even more limited manager.  Maybe if we reverted to those tactics Martin might achieve something yet.  Unfortunately we don't have a Le Tiss in our ranks but I am hoping Stewart might provide some answers.  big hope that though.

21 hours ago, saintant said:

Sorry, that sounds way too much like common sense. 

We are Southampton, we couldn’t possibly approach the game of football with any of that. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Stewart wasn't in the training vids, so probably won't be on the bench this weekend. Lots of focus on Mara, who looked pretty decent in training... Let's see if he can translate that into a match environment.

1. Stewart - I think a lot of people are expecting too much from him, he's been out for a very long time and is surely going to take weeks or months to hit top condition?

2. Mara -  Unlikely

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

1. Stewart - I think a lot of people are expecting too much from him, he's been out for a very long time and is surely going to take weeks or months to hit top condition?

2. Mara -  Unlikely

Yeah, my comment on Stewart is more in response to people saying 'he'll be on the bench for Hull' when that was a month ago it was stated as the aim, and nothings been heard from since. Thing with Mara is that he's a decent player but his style doesn't really seem to suit us that well. He's got talent but we've only seen flashes of it, and think his confidence is shot. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, disconnect said:

Stewart wasn't in the training vids, so probably won't be on the bench this weekend. Lots of focus on Mara, who looked pretty decent in training... Let's see if he can translate that into a match environment.

I can remember when Martin said Mara deserved a start up at Sunderland after looking great in training. Granted he played him out wide but he was crap.

I know it's tough when you're always coming off the bench but he isn't even making an impact at all. Shame about the injury to THB because we were finally getting a settled defence together. It's that centre forward position that is our biggest problem at the moment.  

6 hours ago, Toussaint said:

2. Mara -  Unlikely

You'd have thought he need a few run outs with the u21s (if overage players are allowed) before going into the first team, building up match fitness , shame as we could do with him. 3 games in a week coming up again.

be interesting to see how our plays cope with the venom and hated they will encounter when they enter the fray on saturday. Lets hope they dont do this in from of the DEF or the very least the tigers can expect is a giant foam hand wrapped round their cannister

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JRM said:

Interesting comments about their manager and possession for possession sake being a frustrating style of play 

https://www.not606.com/threads/hull-city-v-southampton.409185/

Got 0-0 written all over it, they play the same, bore the same and boo the same. Post #6 deserves a mention for a credible account of some-things-Southampton.

And looks like we've already been 'mauled by the Tigers', they're charging our lot £30 (ahem, £24, I stand corrected) for tickets, Preston go there next and it's costing them £15. Cheeky tykes.

Edit: My mistake - Preston charging us £30 (midweek, live on SKY) robbing northern monkeys.

Edited by TheAlehouseBrawlers
JRM put me right

1 minute ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Got 0-0 written all over it, they play the same, bore the same and boo the same. Post #6 deserves a mention for a credible account of some-things-Southampton.

And looks like we've already been 'mauled by the Tigers', they're charging our lot £30 for tickets, Preston go there next and it's costing them £15. Cheeky tykes.

Tickets for us were £20 or £24 , no complaints there 

• Like 1

If RM could get Sulemana or Alcarez to look up and pass accurately around the box, could get someone like Smallbone to lay off a ball accurately and get Mara to be in the right place at the right time to shoot, we might actually score a goal because Mara CAN shoot accurately when faced with a gifted opportunity.  So many variables in this scenario that it’s highly unlikely to take place and that’s even if we manage to move the ball quickly enough forward to stop the opposition getting 11 men behind the ball (which we mostly don’t).

• Lighthouse changed the title to Hull 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic