Hull 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

Stud mark of doom

I don't think anyone has mentioned the ridiculous referee Mr Eltringham. In the second half when we had a corner on the left the home fans were shouting about the placing of the ball. He listened to them and ran over to check and found nothing. In fact I am not sure I have ever seen a referee ask for the ball to be moved because it can apparently be a long way out of the quarter circle and technically still in. Then when we had another corner he listened to them again and checked - and found nothing wrong. How can a referee be allowing the home crowd to influence him so much? When we had a corner on the right in front of the Saints fans we invited him to check the positioning, but he declined.

• Like 3

I don’t want to be a party pooper but it might be better for all our mental health sake if we try to temper expectations of RS. 

If he is a two chance one goal finisher that will be way better than what we have to date last few years. And it may take some time for him to get up to that playing with new teammates. 

The way we play may have to change to accommodate his skill set- or will he be asked to change to accommodate the way we play? 

THAT’s the question in my mind and I rather think the latter will be the answer. At present our tactics are not primarily aimed at laying the ball on a plate for the No. 9 to finish. Midfielders arriving late yes or pull backs from by-line yes- but we do not hit it long to the big number 9 ( ok at 6ft 2” he’s not massive but he’s way bigger than Che, AA and Mara) to challenge for in hope of getting second ball, or to hold up or run with or lay off to his nippy sidekick - so it’s going to be interesting - and vitally important - to see how he is utilised. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kenilworthy said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned the ridiculous referee Mr Eltringham. In the second half when we had a corner on the left the home fans were shouting about the placing of the ball. He listened to them and ran over to check and found nothing. In fact I am not sure I have ever seen a referee ask for the ball to be moved because it can apparently be a long way out of the quarter circle and technically still in. Then when we had another corner he listened to them again and checked - and found nothing wrong. How can a referee be allowing the home crowd to influence him so much? When we had a corner on the right in front of the Saints fans we invited him to check the positioning, but he declined.

That was silly. He didn't need to check the one by our fans though because the linesman was there.

Was a weird thing for the Hull fans to get all funny about.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

Seemed to give the majority of the 50/50 decisions to them as well.

Pretty sure we should have had a penalty near the end for a foul by Seri. Haven't seen a replay though. 

If Stewart can just finish a few it would be an improvement. Adams in the same position as Smallbone yesterday wouldn't have scored. Instead of steering it in naturally with his left foot using the pace of the cut back he'd have tried to get it on his right foot and blast it straight at the keeper!

I've no complaints about spreading the goals about amongst the team but an additional dimension to our game would be great.

Good use of subs again, and I wonder how he'll play it for the Wednesday game this week? S Armstrong might be better coming on as a sub as either age or covid has definitely reduced his ability to do 90 minutes.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, warsash saint said:

Fuck me if you can't celebrate a 95th minute winner i suggest you find a new sport!!

Not the fans - it was Martin's antics. Only a few years ago that sort of thing was reserved for winning a semi-final or more, not beating Hull City away on a sodden Saturday afternoon in October. 

Edited by adrian lord
  • Haha 4

What was all that nonsense from the Hull fans continuously claiming the ball wasn’t in the quadrant for our corners? And then the referee going over - twice on the trot - to check this crucial fact and that it was, clearly and obviously, all fine before allow the corner to be taken.

lovely touch from the saints fans loudly trying to get him to come over and check for our own corners a few f times after that 🙂 

And, of course, the icing on the cake was us scoring the winner in time added on for corner shithousery from the Hull supporters. 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Stud mark of doom
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

Not the fans - it was Martin's antics. Only a few years ago that sort of thing was reserved for winning a semi-final or more, not beating Hull City away on a sodden Saturday afternoon in October. 

Oh good grief...

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

Seemed to give the majority of the 50/50 decisions to them as well.

Pretty sure we should have had a penalty near the end for a foul by Seri. Haven't seen a replay though. 

It looked like a pen, I think RM was booked for protesting the decision. 

1 hour ago, Kenilworthy said:

As long as part of the ball is over the quadrant line then it’s ok. Maybe the ref was making a point?

Since the assistant referees run diagonals, usually ’rights’, they can only check the ball position at two of the four corners. Was there an assistant covering the corner in front of the Saints fans?

14 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

As long as part of the ball is over the quadrant line then it’s ok. Maybe the ref was making a point?

Since the assistant referees run diagonals, usually ’rights’, they can only check the ball position at two of the four corners. Was there an assistant covering the corner in front of the Saints fans?

Yes - the Lino was next to it when the saints fan were calling it out, but this was obviously a joke, as we were suggesting an infringement by our own player.

The Hull crowd were making loads of noise about it over the other side - it was a bit weird that the ref jogged all the way over to check twice in quick succession, finding no problem either time. Hardly critical stuff. 

1 hour ago, warsash saint said:

You had a shocker yesterday fella!

😂🤦🏼‍♂️ it was a sarcastic post, there were a bunch of others around the same time. Always happens on here when a player who rarely scores or has been criticised during the match pops up with a goal. 

KWP and Downes the standouts yesterday, CM looked better again when Charles was on but Smallbone has added some goal threat. Manning poor again, all over the show for their goal. Superb volley from Fraser for the winner and delighted for the fans who had a horrendous journey up there in many cases and probably back. Hull is never an easy place to get a win so let’s build on it at a PNE outfit having a slight dip in form, albeit it will still be a hard game midweek.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stud mark of doom said:

Yes - the Lino was next to it when the saints fan were calling it out, but this was obviously a joke, as we were suggesting an infringement by our own player.

The Hull crowd were making loads of noise about it over the other side - it was a bit weird that the ref jogged all the way over to check twice in quick succession, finding no problem either time. Hardly critical stuff. 

It's not that weird, it happens quite a lot if the linesman at the other end (well half way line at that stage), but same side, thinks it's close from his point of view. 

2 hours ago, adrian lord said:

That was against Hull. Now imagine we've just beaten Liverpool away... an on-pitch parade, followed by riverdance, then a light show, sky writing and *then* a flood of tears. Something to look forward to with The Process. 🙂

I don't mind a bit of acknowledgement for the support, with some consisent actions to to show the appreciation and bonding. From his comments, he know he's got a *lot* of work to improve on, so the late winner isn't going to his head as some sort of massive triumph.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

It's not that weird, it happens quite a lot if the linesman at the other end (well half way line at that stage), but same side, thinks it's close from his point of view. 

Thanks for that - I suspect I’ve been to over 1000 matches over almost 50 years I I can’t recall it ever happening more than once in a game - and probably at most once a season too 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, suewhistle said:

If Stewart can just finish a few it would be an improvement. Adams in the same position as Smallbone yesterday wouldn't have scored. Instead of steering it in naturally with his left foot using the pace of the cut back he'd have tried to get it on his right foot and blast it straight at the keeper!

I've no complaints about spreading the goals about amongst the team but an additional dimension to our game would be great.

Good use of subs again, and I wonder how he'll play it for the Wednesday game this week? S Armstrong might be better coming on as a sub as either age or covid has definitely reduced his ability to do 90 minutes.

Covid 😂 you’ll be saying indigestion will stop him finishing a game next.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

We worked hard to the final whistle and were on top for that closing spell, by some margin.

Today's subs made a difference when they came on. Edozie still hit and miss with what he does, Mara taking up lots of good positions and working hard and Fraser with a good finish.

There are going to be games where results are late, scrappy against the run of play. That goes both ways. But keeping going to the end, trying to make the difference shows commitment, professionalism and can pay off. Like it did today.

We did well increasing the pressure after the subs, making use of the spaces and having much more of a forward presence forcing them back.

But it wasn't always like that today. As someone focused on his process, Martin still has an awful lot to improve in a number of areas, we've commited ourselves to. 3 wins and a draw out of four looks great, that it's working and we are on the right path. But as Martin and SR will be more concerend with the underlying performance, they'll have seen many of the deficiences that resulted in better, more clinical sides hammering us. 

It sounds harsh. But that's the realistic expecation you'd expect to have for a side with our resources coming down to this division (As Leicester, and now Leeds are showing). Great for the club to reach out to show tactics and approach this week. However, I think they misjudge what they think is lack of understanding through their complexity. I think a lot of fans know exactly how it works but are weighing that against the realistic expecations for the season, the clear areas for improvement, and the effectiveness of the play that should be getting us there.

Martin has been the first to point out there's a lot to be done for it to click. Which we're seeing. Looking forward to the points to be going along with that, now we're back to winning ways.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Jeez, I thought my wife drones on  without any real content within her waffling noise. Mrs Wildsaint, is that you?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Stud mark of doom said:

The ref has the responsibility to make sure it’s legal. Going right over to the corner is just to make a point to the fans.

2 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

If anyone has the time to spare and a football available t they can always try a demonstration. The lines are the same width as a toilet roll so if you layout some bog paper on the ground and try different positions of the ball it can be amazing how much ‘grass’ is visible between the two.

1 hour ago, Stud mark of doom said:

Thanks for that - I suspect I’ve been to over 1000 matches over almost 50 years I I can’t recall it ever happening more than once in a game - and probably at most once a season too 

Too much television around these days for them to let anything go.

6 hours ago, gio1saints said:

I don’t want to be a party pooper but it might be better for all our mental health sake if we try to temper expectations of RS. 

If he is a two chance one goal finisher that will be way better than what we have to date last few years. And it may take some time for him to get up to that playing with new teammates. 

The way we play may have to change to accommodate his skill set- or will he be asked to change to accommodate the way we play? 

THAT’s the question in my mind and I rather think the latter will be the answer. At present our tactics are not primarily aimed at laying the ball on a plate for the No. 9 to finish. Midfielders arriving late yes or pull backs from by-line yes- but we do not hit it long to the big number 9 ( ok at 6ft 2” he’s not massive but he’s way bigger than Che, AA and Mara) to challenge for in hope of getting second ball, or to hold up or run with or lay off to his nippy sidekick - so it’s going to be interesting - and vitally important - to see how he is utilised. 

Whenever has a players nickname ever been wrong and with him being called the loch Ness Drogba it means its a certainty for 30 goals a season.

Now until this is proven wrong in the first 5mins of his debut let me cling to the hope 🤣🤣

8 hours ago, adrian lord said:

I quite agree chap. One should remove one's hat and offer a polite and professional tempered hand shake to each of the match officials before one brief hooray for the travelling clientele. One good shout of "Jolly good show,' should be the cry,  then off down the tunnel wherein a brief chorus of 'for he's a jolly good fellow' may be offered to the winning goalscorer. 

Edited by The Juice
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, gio1saints said:

I was thinking that last last week, as a couple of positions on the flanks were crying out for Adams to be in the centre. Except, he was over on the other side, as that's where the passing had recently been, and he wasn;t going to be able to get there.

And that wasn't his fault. That's just where our move had taken us. Yesterday, there were a couple where we were crying out for people in the box, only for there to be Arma as the only presence there, and not centrally either.

Hopefully, as MartinBall improves, we'll see players more likely to take up the positions of others, being more aware of the options and risks. Smallbone would be a good example. He's being asked to perform a a lot of roles in the side, in any given match. By the time Sterwart is up and running, we'll have developed to the point we can evolve the tactic a bit round his strengths. No doubt, he'll still ahve to do a lot of things everyone else is, but within some structure that keeps him more likely to be in those dangerous areas.

10 hours ago, gio1saints said:

How right you are, there is still a small portion of the fan base who will condemn a new player - especially a striker - who doesn't score 

a hat trick in his first 3-4 games, and will claim he is rubbish and " someone " in the club should be sacked for wasting the money.

The training ground is one thing, but playing against an opposition who are out to get you at every opportunity is another.

We would all like to see him play, but a few games coming off the bench might be a more sensible start  to his Saints career. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

KWP and Downes the standouts yesterday, CM looked better again when Charles was on but Smallbone has added some goal threat. Manning poor again, all over the show for their goal. Superb volley from Fraser for the winner and delighted for the fans who had a horrendous journey up there in many cases and probably back. Hull is never an easy place to get a win so let’s build on it at a PNE outfit having a slight dip in form, albeit it will still be a hard game midweek.

Bring in Charles for PNE game, allow Smallbone to push forward and give S. Armstrong a rest on the bench to come on after an hour, best compromise I think and provides us a bit more cover in defence. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Jonnyboy said:

I like how we have a worse goal difference than the team in 21st 😁

.Just 12 games so far but ..perhaps in the time we conceded 9 goals in consecutive games with a makeshift defence...was one reason? 

but remember we have had one clean sheet, and 7 games where we concede just one goal ...which might look a little better?

or maybe we should look to our misfiring strike force who have a pretty poor ...shots to goals ratio..in almost every game .

Edited by david in sweden
  • Like 1