Hull 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

Stud mark of doom

Cant believe that attitude of many posters on here. 

Almost like they'd be happier if we lost. 

We're 5th in the league, you'd think we were bottom. 

95th minute winner at a side who hadn't lost at home this season.. Give me that any day of the week. 

COYR! 

• Like 40
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Quality finish that is, did not think he had that in him whatsoever.

Another truly mediocre performance if we're being honest, albeit improved in the 2nd half. Happily take these for now but really need to improve!

Oh enjoy it FFS😂

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Saint_Jonny said:

Come on Saints... winner at the death PLEASE.

And as ordered sir!

Nice to get that for once...thought we were still way too ponderous in possession and lack that incisive striker up front to score when we have the upper hand....but last 15 or 20 minutes we definitely looked stronger. Well taken finish from Fraser has to be said.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

95th minute winner at a side who hadn't lost at home this season.. Give me that any day of the week. 

COYR! 

I genuinely believe some are happier. Subconsciously but they can say they are right.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

We got better once Shea Charles came on which you'd expect considering the fortune we spent on him in the summer. That is huge money to have on the bench in the Championship. He gives us a better balance in midfield. 

I'll take the stick from people on here in regards to my Fraser post, fair play to him it's a great finish but my post was after he needlessly lost the ball and then gave away a pretty pathetic free kick. He's not exactly set the world alight since replacing Tella but hopefully that gives him such much needed confidence and he can prove me wrong. 

I still think the manager is out of his depth, we concede chances far too easily. That team should be far better defensively than we've seen this season imo. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

COYR! 

I'm with you.  We're trying something bold this season. It hasn't always worked. But there have been powerful signs of the tide turning. I thought it was a fantastic game today. We stuck w our fast one-touch approach, even when it cost us. And in the end, we broke them.  Slowly, surely... and then suddenly!    Confidence is one of the keys to us continuing this upward cycle. Every overly-cynical supporter is not helping that.  95th min goals really do help.   There's a real chance now that we power our way up to challenge the top two. We'll see.  But personally, I'm excited again for these owners, this manager and this team.

• Like 16

9 minutes ago, Block41 Saint said:

We got better once Shea Charles came on which you'd expect considering the fortune we spent on him in the summer. That is huge money to have on the bench in the Championship. He gives us a better balance in midfield. 

I'll take the stick from people on here in regards to my Fraser post, fair play to him it's a great finish but my post was after he needlessly lost the ball and then gave away a pretty pathetic free kick. He's not exactly set the world alight since replacing Tella but hopefully that gives him such much needed confidence and he can prove me wrong. 

I still think the manager is out of his depth, we concede chances far too easily. That team should be far better defensively than we've seen this season imo. 

I only saw the second half, but I saw a far more resilient defensive unit than I'm used to. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Utterly disgusted. Awful start to the season but things did look up against Sunderland Leicester and I thought we might have something to whinge about. Ipswich was a total fluke and so was Boro but of course same old same old, back down to our level against Leeds and Stoke. Alright against Rotherham but we should really be losing at least one of those three. If not two.

Today just takes the piss. We scored and okay it happens but let Hull back in brilliantly and there was hope on the horizon. Of course though, our shitty style of play allows us to score in the dying moments as per.

We have a team in the playoffs on Wednesday so hopefully we can lose that but I'm really not confident. Nothing more than 1point from the next two games is acceptable. Anything more and I fear our chances of being in a relegation battle may be over.

This manager needs to stop doing well and appreciate that we have a fanbase who are only happy when there's something to whinge about. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 20
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Totton Saint said:

Dont get too excited.  Lots of clubs below us only 3 points less than us.  Frazer scored after a deflection came to him with only a second or two to react and score.

I bet you had an early night, cocoa and a bedtime book on your wedding night didn't you?!

Life as a Saints fan is shit enough without trying to be unhappy when we score a 5th minute of injury time winner, away in the north of England that moves us into the playoff places again!

• Like 7

We were excellent in the last 15 minutes. Quick incisive passing. Edozie and Charles certainly improved us.

Still concerned about the overall display. I'd like to see us properly dominate a match that isn't against Rotherham or Sheffield Wednesday. 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 7

22 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

COYR! 

This match thread is a classic.

• Like 1

The sort of game we need to be winning or not losing as a minimum so great to see us nick it at the end. 

another test on Wednesday appear to have got a bit of form now, so hopefully another week of 7-9 points will be a great return from the last 6

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

We were excellent in the last 15 minutes. Quick incisive passing. Edozie and Charles certainly improved us.

Still concerned about the overall display. I'd like to see us properly dominate a match that isn't against Rotherham or Sheffield Wednesday. 

This.  It was pretty even upto about 80 minutes, had Hull taken their chances we could've been chasing the game.  But we came strong in the last 15 and probably just about deserved to nick it, decent finish by Ryan who had the foresight to come off the line and get central for the last attack.  It's tight at the top, so need to keep the wins going, for now, satisfied more than overwhelmed. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I bet you had an early night, cocoa and a bedtime book on your wedding night didn't you?!

Life as a Saints fan is shit enough without trying to be unhappy when we score a 5th minute of injury time winner, away in the north of England that moves us into the playoff places again!

How did you know that

Also another relatively decent showing from the defence. Apart from Manning (who is god awful). KWP is pure quality at this level and Bazunu was relatively solid.

I think Downes had one of his best games for us off the ball especially. Smallbone still worries me though, despite scoring a couple.

Alcaraz is one of those players who is either very good or abysmal and sadly he fell into the latter category today.

16 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Really pleased for all the fans that battled to get there amidst all the travel disruption to be rewarded with a late winner 

western clint eastwood GIF

Absolutely brilliant, winning games like that with last kick of the game  when 2200 fans made the effort makes it all worthwhile, hopefully do it again on Wednesday now. 

Overall thought we did ok today, didn't seem to get much from the ref in the physical battle but we gave it away far too easily at times need to improve on that. 

Onwards and upwards. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Also another relatively decent showing from the defence. Apart from Manning (who is god awful). KWP is pure quality at this level and Bazunu was relatively solid.

I think Downes had one of his best games for us off the ball especially. Smallbone still worries me though, despite scoring a couple.

Alcaraz is one of those players who is either very good or abysmal and sadly he fell into the latter category today.

Is Manning suspended now? Not too worried about losing him but we don't have many options to replace? 

Great 3 points & amazing atmosphere & high to end the game like that - so great for the fans & journey.

Last 10mins were so much better than the previous 80.  Another really poor performance- can not escape that even though we won.  Very vulnerable down our left side all the time - not sure who’s to blame more - manning or sulemana. 
Thought Hull were the marginally better team today - Huge improvements needed-  Downes my man of match today - luckily staying up North now for Preston - 7 hour journey yesterday - nightmare 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, JRM said:

Is Manning suspended now? Not too worried about losing him but we don't have many options to replace? 

Yep he will be out of the game on Wednesday. 

You'd imagine Bree or Holgate (yelp!) Will come in at RB and KWP will switch to LB.

Great to get an injury time winner for a change! Wasn't a brilliant performance but we were the better team in the second half and deserved the 3 points. Get the feeling some on here would only be happy if we won 5-0 every week.

I think in general our possession and approach play is pretty decent, but we are desperately lacking a proper striker and focal point up front. Hopefully this is where Stewart will make a big difference as Charly, Che, Arma etc aren't it.

• Like 1

Hull are a decent side at this level, they hadn't lost at home since the start of 2023. One of the tougher places to get points at this level, and we got all 3 - got to be happy with that. 

We strangled them in the last 15 mins or so, they tired a bit I think, but our subs took control of the game and Hulls subs made them 10x worse.  10 from 12 is decent, when that run includes Leeds, Hull away and Stoke away - a really decent run.

Preston away is another toughy, be good to get that out of the way.

• Like 1

We worked hard to the final whistle and were on top for that closing spell, by some margin.

Today's subs made a difference when they came on. Edozie still hit and miss with what he does, Mara taking up lots of good positions and working hard and Fraser with a good finish.

There are going to be games where results are late, scrappy against the run of play. That goes both ways. But keeping going to the end, trying to make the difference shows commitment, professionalism and can pay off. Like it did today.

We did well increasing the pressure after the subs, making use of the spaces and having much more of a forward presence forcing them back.

But it wasn't always like that today. As someone focused on his process, Martin still has an awful lot to improve in a number of areas, we've commited ourselves to. 3 wins and a draw out of four looks great, that it's working and we are on the right path. But as Martin and SR will be more concerend with the underlying performance, they'll have seen many of the deficiences that resulted in better, more clinical sides hammering us. 

It sounds harsh. But that's the realistic expecation you'd expect to have for a side with our resources coming down to this division (As Leicester, and now Leeds are showing). Great for the club to reach out to show tactics and approach this week. However, I think they misjudge what they think is lack of understanding through their complexity. I think a lot of fans know exactly how it works but are weighing that against the realistic expecations for the season, the clear areas for improvement, and the effectiveness of the play that should be getting us there.

Martin has been the first to point out there's a lot to be done for it to click. Which we're seeing. Looking forward to the points to be going along with that, now we're back to winning ways.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

• Like 4

Very good win, especially considering how many players had been away and Hull's home record and great to be the team putting pressure on in the latter stages.

Nothing to fear in this league and should still be aiming for the 2nd automatic slot.

44 minutes ago, JRM said:

I do think that of all the players we let go who you would think would be in the 'keepable' category and that we could've done without losing from a squad depth POV then Perraud was it.

KWP (proven prem quality, lucky to keep him) and Bree (previously in champ team of season I think, but certainly established as decent with Luton) on one side, ok. Manning (?) and Larios (always injured and jury firmly out on ability) on the other not so much.

This was all concerning enough before actually seeing Manning play. 

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 4