Hull 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

Stud mark of doom

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

Also another relatively decent showing from the defence. Apart from Manning (who is god awful). KWP is pure quality at this level and Bazunu was relatively solid.

I think Downes had one of his best games for us off the ball especially. Smallbone still worries me though, despite scoring a couple.

Alcaraz is one of those players who is either very good or abysmal and sadly he fell into the latter category today.

Alcarez is doing a job for us at the moment, think we’ll see a different player when in the hole behind Stewart

• Like 3

Always a delight to win at the death. Really good last 15 minutes or so. Prior to that, very average performance though.

Shea Charles should be in the starting XI. I’d start with him rather than Smallbone - it would make our midfield a bit defensive, but defending (especially through the middle) has been our standout weakness.

MotM for me was KWP, I think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zorba said:

Credit where credit’s due, good pressure from Saints at the end and generally a better performance from what I could see from my shocking stream. Great win. Martin got the subs correct too today imo. Well done saints.

We soldier on!

Without not wanting to sound too melodramatic, that's the first game in many years that I felt the team truly believed in themselves and that they could find a winner. Yes we got lucky a couple of times, but those subs were spot on and the way we played those last 15/20 minutes was brilliant. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Always a delight to win at the death. Really good last 15 minutes or so. Prior to that, very average performance though.

Shea Charles should be in the starting XI. I’d start with him rather than Smallbone - it would make our midfield a bit defensive, but defending (especially through the middle) has been our standout weakness.

MotM for me was KWP, I think.

It’s a dilemma - no Smallbone, fewer goals from midfield…that’s not in Charles gift, who is more of a spoiler but can pick a pass.

23 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

We did that at Millwall away ages ago. Lambert got a late winner and then they scored straight from the kick off

15 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Didn't we then go on to score again? Lambert hatrick? 

12 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Yep, including two penalties IIRC.

2 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Yeo was there - I like Millwall always nice and friendly 😂

They were two separate games. The Lambert hat trick one we won 3-2 having been 2-1 down after 90 minutes. The other finished 1-1, think it was a cup game.

When we get out of “huff, puff, oh shit - get back” mode and start moving the ball quicker we’re a Top 4 side. Until then it’s tough to watch. Same style, just crisper execution.

I didn’t think we got much from the ref today but he did make one big call our way - booking Manning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

They were two separate games. The Lambert hat trick one we won 3-2 having been 2-1 down after 90 minutes. The other finished 1-1, think it was a cup game.

It was indeed. Scored something like 92 and managed to concede 93 in true Saints style. Luke Shaw made his debut that game if memory serves me correctly. 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

It was the league game in our first season in L1. 

1 hour ago, Exeter Saint said:

Just watched the post match interviews.  Both Fraser and Martin said how well Downes played. Maybe a replacement for JWP without the free kicks.

Downes seems to get better every game. To be honest I wasn’t that impressed with him in the beginning but I think we can now attribute that to him getting over the food poisoning he had. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Great win and good to read about having control in the last 15 mins,  hard to grasp that from the radio commentary.

Be good to hear from those who were there. After they've rowed home of course.

Yeah, fair play to those who got there. From all accounts, the trains were crap, the roads were blocked and yet on the stream, you could hear our fans well before we scored the second.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Can Martin please stop doing the cringe hand waving following by fist pumping every time we win. 

We really do have some miserable cunts on here. I don't even think he does any hand waving, that was Ralph?

Martin just walks over, punches the air and claps the fans, then leaves. Imagine being so fucking glum that you whinge about your own manager acknowledging and celebrating the away support after a win up the other end of the country with all the travel bollocks we had to go through today :lol:

• Like 46
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Can Martin please stop doing the cringe hand waving following by fist pumping every time we win. 

He can moon us, flip the bird at us or quite frankly do whatever the fuck he likes if we keep winning away.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, CSA96 said:

We really do have some miserable cunts on here. I don't even think he does any hand waving, that was Ralph?

Martin just walks over, punches the air and claps the fans, then leaves. Imagine being so fucking glum that you whinge about your own manager acknowledging and celebrating the away support after a win up the other end of the country with all the travel bollocks we had to go through today :lol:

The miserable cunt did post that "Fraser is shit" on this thread  just as he scored. 😁😁😁

• Haha 1

I was restricted to extended highlights on youtube without knowing the score.    The youtube headline was "last gasp" which immediately conjured up a last minute equaliser or winner for Hull - so good to see the Downes cross be swept away first time by Fraser.   The highlights revealed a well taken goal by Smallbone after great lead up by Sulemana and KWP.       What was Smallbone's game like otherwise?   

An away win v Hull is not to be underestimated and more points in the week ahead will certainly settle nerves and give Martin breathing space.   As someone else said, it would be nice to have a clear cut win soon against ok opposition.        Well played to all supporters who navigated the weather and the transport hurdles to get to the ground - you deserved the joy of that late goal.

10 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

He can hold a seance and sacrifice a goat as far as I am concerned if we win.

1st world problems, we win a game and fans are complaining about how the manager celebrates

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 12
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Thought we were much the better side.  I really like Shea Charles in midfield.  Downes was good today.

Subs worked well.  Think Stu was knackered.  Love that the team really went for it in the last 15.  We are so much better when we drop the walking football.

At last Stuart is showing some of the qualities we saw when he first arrived, but you won't see  90 minute performances 

from too many players after they've passed 30 and it's beginning to show,  but was encouraging anyway.

Edited by david in sweden

9 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Yep..  let's find something to moan about....never mind the result or performance...

9 hours ago, Saint Gifford said:

Enjoyed the game, we are a very good squad, but just can’t help feeling we are missing something. 

Leicester and Ipswich look like runaway leaders. but we should be not be 13 points behind.

Not exactly early doors anymore, but hope we carry on like this. 

Ross Stewart?

Edited by miserableoldgit

9 hours ago, Saint Gifford said:

Enjoyed the game, we are a very good squad, but just can’t help feeling we are missing something. 

At this moment the main thing we miss is a striker. 

Leicester have the luxury of bringing someone like Iheanacho on from the bench with Vardy starting. Daka can't even get on the pitch in some games.

We have a disinterested Che Adams, Alcaraz, who is not a striker and largely ineffective in that position, or Mara.

Ross Stewart really should massively improve us as a team when he starts because he'll give us so many more options. Hopefully that's not too long away now.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Thank you CSA 96. Glad to see yours is the most upvoted post on this thread! Rightly so. 

If Saints supporters who travelled all that way don’t get acknowledged win lose or draw it’s very bad. I don’t really  care if RM and team do cartwheels, punch the air, juggle balls, come over and clap or do a HULK like Che - I really don’t care how as long as they definitively ACKNOWLEDGE THE SUPPORT. 

When they do it - like yesterday - it should not be discouraged. The opposite, and your post summed it up brilliantly. 

• Like 2