January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

They do seem gutted, though a few comments about injury prone, flimsy and lack of work rate.

To be fair, I'd have described Edozie as flimsy and lacking work rate until lately, where he's locked into Martin's system. Hopefully MB is not injury prone, given we only need him to stay fit for four or five months and contribute. We have other good wingers and could rotate quite easily.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I really don’t see the point .. we have arma edozie Fraser and sulemana for these positions let alone Sam AA who’s already frozen out ..

seems silly to bring in another winger 

we clearly want (and need) more goals...looks like Che could stay and bring more goals from the right hand side...

6 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I really don’t see the point .. we have arma edozie Fraser and sulemana for these positions let alone Sam AA who’s already frozen out ..

Sulemana is probably off to AFCON... Arma is a striker and if Che goes he will soak up more of the ST minutes. Leaves us with Fraser (best contributions have been as a sub) and Edozie (who is really good right now, but has been hot and cold across his time at Saints in general)

We said we wanted a RW in the summer and tried for Philogene at the deadline, so clearly something Martin still wants. Makes sense because if you look at our build-up play it is lopsided and totally different on the left compared to the right.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

we clearly want (and need) more goals...looks like Che could stay and bring more goals from the right hand side...

Right. So sign a a striker then ..

do you think edozie and Fraser deserve less game time then ? It won’t be Arma that drops out and we still have sulamana to come back at the end of the month

these guys are all super and it would be a bad message to them to be replaced after rheir good performances 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

To be fair, I'd have described Edozie as flimsy and lacking work rate until lately, where he's locked into Martin's system. Hopefully MB is not injury prone, given we only need him to stay fit for four or five months and contribute. We have other good wingers and could rotate quite easily.

Sounds to me like he's "injured" in that he isn't getting enough chances so isn't really arsed about things. 

8 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Sulemana is probably off to AFCON... Arma is a striker and if Che goes he will soak up more of the ST minutes. Leaves us with Fraser (best contributions have been as a sub) and Edozie (who is really good right now, but has been hot and cold across his time at Saints in general)

We said we wanted a RW in the summer and tried for Philogene at the deadline, so clearly something Martin still wants. Makes sense because if you look at our build-up play it is lopsided and totally different on the left compared to the right.

Arma is pretty much playing right wf even if che leaves we have played alcaraz as false nine when che doesn’t start ..I don’t see Arma being moved when he’s doing so well there ..

Sam Amo looks a fantastic prospect and he’s completely frozen out due to our squad depth at wing positions yet here we are adding more ?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Right. So sign a a striker then ..

do you think edozie and Fraser deserve less game time then ? It won’t be Arma that drops out and we still have sulamana to come back at the end of the month

these guys are all super and it would be a bad message to them to be replaced after rheir good performances 

Sulemana hasn’t been super the almost one year he’s been here. A lot of fart and very little sh1t.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

For me, the priority should be a forward, preferably one who plays in the middle, gets in the opposition penalty area .. and scores goals. Perhaps all the things we hoped Stewart to be. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Edozie, Fraser and Sulemana all play best off the left, SAA is unproven and a sub option at best.

If we can bring in someone with a bit of unpredictability on the right side then its worth it.

• Like 1

Good player, he was excellent for Burnley last year - him and Tella used to go in tandem quite a bit, either side - very similar players. Sounds like he's had injuries which is why he hasn't played much this year, but Burnley's approach to this entire season has been truly bizarre in general terms - forget about the players who got you there, and regress with players who are worse.

15 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

On the topic of Burnley players, I forgot Obafemi was still there too. Barring 21-22 at Swansea, he hasn't really done anything.

And yet on 19k a week he will earn more than most of us will our entire working lives. Need to get my butt down the gym though at 43 I'm probably a bit late. ☺️

• Haha 1

We are clearly signing a RW player then, plenty of links: Diallo, Brooks, Benson, Carvalho. In the summer we tried for Roberts and Philogene. I wish Tella had stayed but £20m for the FFP was too good a deal for an academy player.

Edited by goodymatt

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Not sure we’d go for a player where the parent club want game time assurances.

Do you think West Ham and Man City loaned us Downes and THB without caring if they sat on the bench? There's even strong reporting of Everton taking Holgate back because we haven't delivered the game time they were expecting. I think it's pretty standard for a club to want to know if their player will actually play or not, especially if they've just been on a loan where they didn't play - as with Carvalho in the Bundesliga.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CSA96 said:

He's not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CSA96 said:

Do you think West Ham and Man City loaned us Downes and THB without caring if they sat on the bench? There's even strong reporting of Everton taking Holgate back because we haven't delivered the game time they were expecting. I think it's pretty standard for a club to want to know if their player will actually play or not, especially if they've just been on a loan where they didn't play - as with Carvalho in the Bundesliga.

Fair point. But a possible difference being the positions for Downes and THB were always likely to be available for them (barring a drop off in form), don’t think we could be as confident of Carvalho starting. 

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

We are clearly signing a RW player then, plenty of links: Diallo, Brooks, Benson, Carvalho. In the summer we tried for Roberts and Philogene. I wish Tella had stayed but £20m for the FFP was too good a deal for an academy player.

Will be interesting to see who we go for and how the others perform that we decide not to go for. If we do go up then I'm not too fussed about Tella. It hasn't really harmed our chances in the first half of the season and if we do go up I'm not sure he'd be good enough anyway,. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CSA96 said:

They will care, but don't have guarantees. There could easily been the situation where Bednarek and Stephens kept their places, Man City would not have a say in it. 

What happens when loan player doesn't play much depends on the terms agreed in the loan. 

It may be irrelevant, if the contract was a season loan, if there is a recall clause it may mean recall is more likely to happen, or it may mean that a recall option becomes live (don't think this is common). 

However, for a January loan I doubt there is anything formal, I would guess it is more down to:

Loan fee

Share of wages

Where player wants to go

Less extent is the club seen as one who will be good for the player (a positive for us). 

In a previous job I used to see many professional footballers contracts, Premier league and championship. Quite eye opening! Not seen any for several years so no idea of any current pros. 

24 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

What happens when loan player doesn't play much depends on the terms agreed in the loan. 

There are never guarantees, but in Holgate's case it will likely trigger additional payments, as Everton have been known to use this kind of clause to encourage more game time for loanees.

(Source: straight from the mouth of an Everton player who was out on loan twice last season)

4 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Aresenals academy if I recollect correctly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Philogene has looked excellent for Hull when I've seen him - before he got injured. I thought they'd only got him on loan so I was surprised to see recently that he's there on a permanent. He'll be in the Prem soon one way or another - I believe Villa have some sort of £15 million buy back clause if Hull get promoted, kind of like a fancy loan.

1 hour ago, HnycS said:

Aresenals academy if I recollect correctly.

We got him on a free transfer IIRC so the £20 million is all profit. I think it was quite a good deal for that money. He would have done a job for us this season but would we have been in a better place with Tella than we are now without him? Not sure. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Philogene has looked excellent for Hull when I've seen him - before he got injured. I thought they'd only got him on loan so I was surprised to see recently that he's there on a permanent. He'll be in the Prem soon one way or another - I believe Villa have some sort of £15 million buy back clause if Hull get promoted, kind of like a fancy loan.

We got him on a free transfer IIRC so the £20 million is all profit. I think it was quite a good deal for that money. He would have done a job for us this season but would we have been in a better place with Tella than we are now without him? Not sure. 

Agreed my only point Tella wasn't a Saints academy product. Would like to think the club also did the right thing by the player, he obviously wanted the opportunity to play in the Bundeslegia and raise his profile and possibly follow a Bellignham style career trajectory. But a really close call, promotion worth > $20 million, but was his breakout season at Burnley a freak, guess only time will tell. He scored a barnstorming breakaway goal to open his account at Leverkusen.