January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Just now, LGTL said:

Merson and Prutton spent 30 minutes earlier seriously discussing Hamilton’s move to Ferrari. SSN are really struggling and it’s lovely to see. 

Tbf that is probably the only vaguely surprising news today. That and Bashir making his debut for England tomorrow.

Just now, Master Bates said:

Derrick Abu joins Harrogate on loan.

that's to replace former Saint Kayne Ramsay who has just left. Harrogate have done a bit of business over the last year with Saints, seems a bit strange for a small club in North Yorkshire, Ramsay, Olaigbe, now Abu. 

i wonder what links the two together???

8 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Nathan Jones set to be confirmed Charlton manager - Good luck to him

Looking at Twitter, their fanbase looks pretty happy with it. And really they should be, it does look like he is capable of getting a team out of L1.

Surely got to be considered a pretty good window for us. Brooks shoulf add quality at this level, Rothwell depth and importantly we haven't lost KWP or Adams.

Wouldn't say any of our direct opponents have signed anyone I would be bothered about either.

Well set to end the season strongly.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Looking at Twitter, their fanbase looks pretty happy with it. And really they should be, it does look like he is capable of getting a team out of L1.

Yep. Whatever happened at Saints (or Stoke for that matter), his record at that level is very impressive.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Yep. Whatever happened at Saints (or Stoke for that matter), his record at that level is very impressive.

Presumably this will save Saints some of the redundancy payments ? I guess deals are done so that both Saints and Jones are better off with him in a job ? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Keeping Kyle Walker Peters is pretty amazing. Expected him to go in July to be honest.

Been sweating on this one more than anything else I'd read, heard or seen...lot of respect for the guy when he could so easily have wanted out

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, teamsaint said:

Presumably this will save Saints some of the redundancy payments ? I guess deals are done so that both Saints and Jones are better off with him in a job ? 

No idea, I don't follow the financial side of the game. I still don't understand FFP.

11 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Surely got to be considered a pretty good window for us. Brooks shoulf add quality at this level, Rothwell depth and importantly we haven't lost KWP or Adams.

Wouldn't say any of our direct opponents have signed anyone I would be bothered about either.

Well set to end the season strongly.

You don’t think Kieffer Moore is a good acquisition for Ipswich?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, teamsaint said:

We probably paid him a lump sum when he left rather than drip feeding three years worth. I think a lot of clubs have learned to word their contracts the complete opposite of what Chelsea do. He got a three and a half year contract, but his redundancy might have been 12 months worth...who knows. 

The Charlton fan I know is not impressed. He doesn't want "front foot, hoof ball", even in league 1.

Edited by Chez

12 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

He isn't very good but to be fair every game I've ever seen him in they just lump the ball up at him. The Welsh Onuachu 😅

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

He is ok and am sure will do a job for them but is not someone who you would be gutted seeing sign for a rival or suddenly feel that by signing him it has made it significantly more likely that Ipswich will get 2nd instead of us.

Of all the Jan signings for the teams at the top I think Brooks has the potential to make the biggest impact and would get in any team in the league.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

It's a decent bit of experience for Ipswich especially as they lost a striker to a bad injury recently but their striker signing from Wimbledon (the Iraqi lad I forget his name...Al-Hamadi thanks Google) might want to be the one to watch apparently if he can make the step up.

The window softly closes. Rothwell and Brooks in, Holgate and Charly out. Keeping Che and Mara up top, KWP stays. Bring on the promotion run! 🤞🤞🤞🤞

The summer transfer window thread will be interesting as it depends on what League we're in.

• Like 2

With Holgate's departure, I thought we might look at one of the two young Reading cbs as a low cost back up. Both seem to have potential and Reading were giving them away. I guess we need t be careful abut signing players that can't make the step up to the Prem.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

With Holgate's departure, I thought we might look at one of the two young Reading cbs as a low cost back up. Both seem to have potential and Reading were giving them away. I guess we need t be careful abut signing players that can't make the step up to the Prem.

We did. We tried to get Nelson Abbey but he chose Olympiacos

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

The window softly closes. Rothwell and Brooks in, Holgate and Charly out

I think this has been very astute business by the club. The two new additions do not have to uproot their families or spend time away from them and both know some of our players already, so that should make integration into the squad a lot easier on the personal level. Of course both will have to adapt to our style of play (and Rothwell has already shown that might take a bit of time), but we have kept all of our first choice players and have Sulemana & Edozie back in training, so we may not need them to make an instant impact. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before Brooks becomes a first team starter.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Theirry Small contract terminated!

More red cards while on loan than saints appearances. Contract terminated. Horrific comments from Ralph. Not great for a kid we paid £3.5m for. Hopefully he finds somewhere and can carve himself a career. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Remind me what Ralph said please

A couple of times he spoke out about him publicly, blunt criticism. Not a helpful way to deal with a 17 year old. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

A couple of times he spoke out about him publicly, blunt criticism. Not a helpful way to deal with a 17 year old. 

I remember him being featured on a kids TV show as a future PL star doing tricks with with the ball, plus Everton fans were gutted to lose him. Talent but not the right mindset? Has anyone seen him play recently?

3 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I remember him being featured on a kids TV show as a future PL star doing tricks with with the ball, plus Everton fans were gutted to lose him. Talent but not the right mindset? Has anyone seen him play recently?

He's been on loan at St Mirren. Played a bit (out of position), then recalled, then released. There was an article in the athletic a while back about him saying how things weren't going great for him. 

Good window. Holgate going is a good move, he was just not good at all.

Such a shame about Alcaraz, but he was never really a starter, probably not suited to our current style. 

no idea about Rothwell, but Brooks seems a brilliant signing on paper.

Edited by AlexLaw76

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

Ipswich have signed Jeremy Sarmiento on loan from Brighton, he looks decent.

Didn't they sign him at the start of the window? He played against Maidstone in the cup. 

Not sure why he went back from loan at West Brom, he was there for the first half of the season.

29 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Didn't they sign him at the start of the window? He played against Maidstone in the cup. 

Not sure why he went back from loan at West Brom, he was there for the first half of the season.

Yes he was, he scored against Maidstone. He wasn't getting enough game time at West Brom.

Well done management for keeping key players.

Stronger in midfield I think we lose Charlie’s flair but Rothwell and Brooks won’t lose it as much in dangerous positions key with the games we have left.

Defensively we need Bree back but Holgate was awful at Watford and way he just turned his back in second half and let player just run by him was awful defending. Jack 3rd and Charles as 4th centre half should be ok Bednarek is on 8 bookings though but THB is our best defender will be a star.

Adams staying helps knows what’s expected but think we will see AdamA more central now. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

that's to replace former Saint Kayne Ramsay who has just left. Harrogate have done a bit of business over the last year with Saints, seems a bit strange for a small club in North Yorkshire, Ramsay, Olaigbe, now Abu. 

i wonder what links the two together???

I’d ask the CoT is my advice. 🤓

9 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

No idea, I don't follow the financial side of the game. I still don't understand FFP.

Think we are still paying RHs wages. Think I’m right in saying Managers get paid to the end of their contracts or until they take up a new contract with someone else.