David Brooks

CSA96

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Why would you think that on the face of it? 

If he’s all that why can he not fight for a place at Bournemouth? Just seems a slightly strange one, but not unhappy he’s joined us, especially in light of the Alcarez news.

11 hours ago, Dman said:

Despite a really promising pre-season and start, SAA hasn't been getting a game whilst we've had no RW at the club, so this isn't blocking his pathway at all. 

So you’re saying we’ve not played anyone on RW while we’ve been waiting for someone to step in ahead of SAA?  Really?!?

45 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

If he’s all that why can he not fight for a place at Bournemouth? Just seems a slightly strange one, but not unhappy he’s joined us, especially in light of the Alcarez news.

Sounds to me like Sinesterra is shot hot and he wouldn't displace him in their lineup. 

• Like 2

For this side to be performing as brilliantly as they are and then add a player like David Brooks is immense. How RM fits him into the team I have no clue but, with games coming thick and fast, Brooks will not be short of appearances. He adds an extra touch of class and quality to what is already a well-oiled machine. Really looking forward to seeing him start games and getting up to speed with how we play - not expecting that to take long as he is clearly a very clever footballer.   

Edited by saintant

27 minutes ago, saintant said:

For this side to be performing as brilliantly as they are and then add a player like David Brooks is immense. How RM fits him into the team I have to clue but, with games coming thick and fast, Brooks will not be short of appearances. He adds an extra touch of class and quality to what is already a well-oiled machine. Really looking forward to seeing him start games and getting up to speed with how we play - not expecting that to take long as he is clearly a very clever footballer.   

Looking at the schedule, if he doesn't start vs Huddersfield then surely he will against Bristol City.

It's a shame he's cup tied on Tuesday. 

3 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Looking at the schedule, if he doesn't start vs Huddersfield then surely he will against Bristol City.

It's a shame he's cup tied on Tuesday. 

Him being cup tied surely means we can play Fraser in the cup and start Brooks the game after.

22 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Him being cup tied surely means we can play Fraser in the cup and start Brooks the game after.

We certainly should. We did not need to rest or try out players last time, this time we might as we have another game next weekend. Either go out to win it or dump it, but stop the silly half measures making it hard.

24 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

As Fraser plays on the left and Brooks on the right, I think that it's unlikely that Russell considers those two as interchangeable, unless left with little choice. I'd have thought that it is more likely that in the cup he'll start Edozie on the left and one of the young lads on the right( SAA or Dibling).   

From next Saturday, we have 5 championship games in 15 days, a game every 3 days which will be critical to our season, I think that is when he will be forced to rotate players (and positions).  Che wasn't great yesterday, so at some point in that 5 game run, I'd be surprised if A Armstrong doesn't go up top and Brooks will go right.  Obviously, issues such as injury and suspension could mean significant changes to our recent "top" eleven and will probably force his hand to a degree.

I'm started to worry every time KWP or our centre halves go in for a tackle, as that is where we could potentially have a lack of cover. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

As Fraser plays on the left and Brooks on the right, I think that it's unlikely that Russell considers those two as interchangeable, unless left with little choice. I'd have thought that it is more likely that in the cup he'll start Edozie on the left and one of the young lads on the right( SAA or Dibling).   

From next Saturday, we have 5 championship games in 15 days, a game every 3 days which will be critical to our season, I think that is when he will be forced to rotate players (and positions).  Che wasn't great yesterday, so at some point in that 5 game run, I'd be surprised if A Armstrong doesn't go up top and Brooks will go right.  Obviously, issues such as injury and suspension could mean significant changes to our recent "top" eleven and will probably force his hand to a degree.

I'm started to worry every time KWP or our centre halves go in for a tackle, as that is where we could potentially have a lack of cover. 

Think Dibling needs to play through the middle or not at all. He looked like a fish out of water on the right against Watford and couldn't do himself justice.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

After the shot Brooks had with his left foot I don't think him playing on either side would be a problem. 

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

After the shot Brooks had with his left foot I don't think him playing on either side would be a problem. 

I agree, but ........  it isn't me or you who picks the team. Martin seems to have a preference for playing left footers on the right and vice-versa. Armstrong A is the exception to that. Also, we have an abundance of riches on the left with Edozi/Sulemana/Frazer competing for that position. It isn't the same on the right where it now looks as though either Adam A or Brooks will be the first choices. 

Just now, WALK DMC said:

I agree, but ........  it isn't me or you who picks the team. Martin seems to have a preference for playing left footers on the right and vice-versa. Armstrong A is the exception to that. Also, we have an abundance of riches on the left with Edozi/Sulemana/Frazer competing for that position. It isn't the same on the right where it now looks as though either Adam A or Brooks will be the first choices. 

I'm not talking long term, I'm talking about for the midweek game in the cup where he will want to rotate. Full strength he won't play him there.

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I'm not talking long term, I'm talking about for the midweek game in the cup where he will want to rotate. Full strength he won't play him there.

But Brooks is cup-tied, so isn't an option for the Watford game ...... 

We're so lucky to have this guy in our squad - he will be crucial in the remaining games and played a big part in turning things around today. Think he'll be one of the first names on the team sheet from now on.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

He looked silky smooth. Still think he should remain on the bench for now, only change that should be made is Mara in for Adams. 

Although with three games in 6 days there'll probably be a lot of rotation anyway.

Think both Downes and SA will miss the next game if not more. Hopefully I’m wrong but……

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

He looked silky smooth. Still think he should remain on the bench for now, only change that should be made is Mara in for Adams. 

Although with three games in 6 days there'll probably be a lot of rotation anyway.

Think we'll be looking for someone to fill in for Downes if he's done his groin.

14 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Do you wish you could play like him?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

No chance. He's way too good to be sat on the bench. I'd give Adam Armstrong a rest. Looked way off the pace today.

46 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

He starts every game for me, looked a different side with him in it.

Adams to the bench, Armstrong in the 9. That's how I'd go.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to David Brooks
1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

He starts every game for me, looked a different side with him in it.

Adams to the bench, Armstrong in the 9. That's how I'd go.

I agree with this apart from your nonsensical comment on Brooks. He was never in the game.

• Confused 2

If Brooks learns to track back then he could be brilliant for us. Definitely got skill, and a superb pass for the second. However, an absolute liability defensively. At one point, he had to apologise profusely to KWP as it was left ball watching whilst the Huddesfield player ran past him into the box.

That said, he may have been asked to stay upfield, so I could be being harsh.

Bringing him on when losing / drawing is ideal though imo.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dangerspoon said:

If Brooks learns to track back then he could be brilliant for us. Definitely got skill, and a superb pass for the second. However, an absolute liability defensively. At one point, he had to apologise profusely to KWP as it was left ball watching whilst the Huddesfield player ran past him into the box.

That said, he may have been asked to stay upfield, so I could be being harsh.

Bringing him on when losing / drawing is ideal though imo.

That was right in front of us and was pretty poor.

Contrast to Edoize who earlier in the season was doing the same, now he's chasing back, making tackles and winning back possession deep in our half. 

I'm sure they'll drill it in to him because as Martin has said in interviews if one player doesn't run it affects the whole team.

Everything else about him is so good to watch though. I'd start him every match.

• Like 1

I think we're now starting to get a real insight into RM's philosophy around player management. Dropping Brooksy, for reasons that have still yet to be adequately explained, from the entire matchday squad midweek was unbelievably harsh - particularly as many of us on here were crying out for David to start against Watford.   Clearly whatever disagreement between the two existed must have been resolved behind the scenes as yesterday Brooksy looked fired up and with a point to prove when coming on.  Well done Russ!

• Haha 5

21 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

No chance. He's way too good to be sat on the bench. I'd give Adam Armstrong a rest. Looked way off the pace today.

Would be unbelievably harsh to drop Arma he’s got the best attacking stats in the league..although I agree it is tempting to give Arma a game as the 9 with Brooks rw to see how it goes..

It’s gonna be interesting to see how russ handles this bunch from now. We have had a pretty settled side which has been a big factor in our amazing run .. but now we have the likes of Brooke’s sulemana, rothwell,edozie and Mara all pushing for starts maybe we will start to see some rotation going on 

20 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Would be unbelievably harsh to drop Arma he’s got the best attacking stats in the league..although I agree it is tempting to give Arma a game as the 9 with Brooks rw to see how it goes..

It’s gonna be interesting to see how russ handles this bunch from now. We have had a pretty settled side which has been a big factor in our amazing run .. but now we have the likes of Brooke’s sulemana, rothwell,edozie and Mara all pushing for starts maybe we will start to see some rotation going on 

I think injuries and suspensions will be a major factor in our 'rotation' over the next few weeks.

I'd have been surprised if Downes - had he been fit -  played at both Bristol City and WBA. It seems RM's hand may now have been forced for Bristol anyway, hope he's back for WBA.

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I'm not dropping him. I'm giving him a rest as he looked a bit jaded to me. We have the firepower now to rotate and minimise the risk of injury to our best players.

Edited by Harry_SFC

3 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Brooks has a touch of Lallana about him

It was great vision for Rothwell's second. Almost like they recently played together somewhere else... 😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, thesaint sfc said:

When is Aribo back? Can’t believe how many options we have in midfield. 

AFCON is now over so he should be back within days. I guess he’ll miss tomorrow but might be in the squad for Saturday !!

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys think our chances are of signing brooks on a perm in the summer should we reach the prem ?

super impressed with him so far and would love us to go all out for him . Might be looking at 25m up though ?

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

3 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

What do you guys think our chances are of signing brooks on a perm in the summer should we reach the prem ?

super impressed with him so far and would love us to go all out for him . Might be looking at 25m up though ?

Depends on Bournemouth's situation I guess.

They were signing from the rooftops a few weeks ago proclaiming they were the PL's next best thing, but they're only 4 or 5 points above the bottom 3. If they do stay up then you'd imagine he'll be back there and playing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Depends on Bournemouth's situation I guess.

They were signing from the rooftops a few weeks ago proclaiming they were the PL's next best thing, but they're only 4 or 5 points above the bottom 3. If they do stay up then you'd imagine he'll be back there and playing.

Yeah, you'd have to think they'll want him back as one of their squad because he is a very talented player. Let's enjoy him while he's here and hope he helps us to one of the automatic promotion spots.

I thought his composure when he scored against WBA spoke volumes. It was clinical. There are others in our squad who (I believe) would have tried to shoot first time, without taking that extra touch and would have had it blocked or skewed it wide. Anyway, we'll never know, but well done young Brooksie m'lad!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint Keef said:

I thought his composure when he scored against WBA spoke volumes. It was clinical. There are others in our squad who (I believe) would have tried to shoot first time, without taking that extra touch and would have had it blocked or skewed it wide. Anyway, we'll never know, but well done young Brooksie m'lad!

Exactly right. When at the moment of crisis, when you need your “ touch” to be perfect and to be full frosty mode he showed his class.
I could imagine our other forwards fumbling that touch or attempting to hit it into the defender first time. He’s a very good player- though defensively he is still not quite with the programme. Keeps scoring and assisting I’m not complaining though! 

On 11/02/2024 at 17:05, RedWillie said:

Oh my, our little Dorset neighbours getting their knickers in a twist about their loanees helping us, particularly the Dawson chap who maybe forgets where he is, as he refers to us as scum. How rude.

https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/david-brooks.6186/

Bless them, after we kindly saved them from oblivion with the bucketelethon you'd think they'd be more grateful. Short memories amongst their fanbase, and only half of it due to senility.

AFC Bournemouth: Bucket collection that saved the Cherries - BBC Sport 

• Like 1

On 12/02/2024 at 09:42, Wade Garrett said:

Brooks will create chances when we’re playing against teams with 10 men behind the ball.

He’s got the key to open the fucking door.  Class.

Player we were crying out to sign last summer, but better late than never.  You watch him close up at games and oozes class, proper quick footballing brain, rare as hen's teeth.

Southampton FC on X: "Been cherry picking again 🍒 https://t.co/BKekCQlf4H"  / X

• 3 months later...

Looks like he'll be heading back to Bournemouth for next season, but how do we rate his time here?

I was really excited when he came in, but imo he flattered to deceive - I can see why he wasn't going to get game time at Bmouth. 

That being said, I do think he showed bits of class - thinking against WBA in the second leg - and I'd much rather he was at us, than had he gone to somewhere like Leeds. 

Very likeable guy, I hope he can regain his fitness and fulfil his potential but not one I'd be looking to resign. 

Good question. He seemed to fit us perfectly for the lacking attacking RH side role, and clearly is technically able. But a lot of games in which his impact was much less than it should have been. A full season loan could be ideal, but depends hugely on how we use loans elsewhere, which will no doubt take time to become clear - and doubtless DB will be looking to sort his future out (and will have suitors) early in the window.