Leicester vs Ipswich

SNSUN

For everyone doing the "I want us to win the title" stuff, well great.

That means we go on the greatest points run in Championship history, we will need to smash 100 points all day long.

If you think we're going to do that, if you truly believe that, why do you need Leicester to lose on Monday to make that possible?

I believe in us, we're going to win the league, go for it all or nothing we want the title but pwease pwease pwease can that other team lose.

Man up lads, we're breaking fucking records or we're not. Make your minds up.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

For everyone doing the "I want us to win the title" stuff, well great.

That means we go on the greatest points run in Championship history, we will need to smash 100 points all day long.

If you think we're going to do that, if you truly believe that, why do you need Leicester to lose on Monday to make that possible?

I believe in us, we're going to win the league, go for it all or nothing we want the title but pwease pwease pwease can that other team lose.

Man up lads, we're breaking fucking records or we're not. Make your minds up.

In short, circa 110 points to win the league with 18 games to go.  That means 17 wins and 1 draw.  Some perspective is needed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

In short, circa 110 points to win the league with 18 games to go.  That means 17 wins and 1 draw.  Some perspective is needed.

I thought it we won our home games the away games against Leeds, Leicester, WBA and Ipswich were free hits?

16 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Except Ipswich beating Leicester at the King Power will give them a huge boost of confidence and momentum. Ipswich, who have had a tough set of fixtures, they win and "suddenly their mentality and focus changes" - they will be ten feet tall.

I just want us to be second today, tomorrow and next week. We've earned it.

I'd rather we finished second and got promoted than finish third in any scenario. 

Your "I'd rather finish third going for it" seems to suggest that the "going for it" just seems to involve, er, a particular team losing to another team on Monday night. What's the point indeed.

Leicester to win as that is much, much better for us right now.

Leicester win, and technically, 2nd place (ie automatic promotion) is "in our hands".     We don't need to drive every green and score eagles and birdies.   Ok, the occasional birdie would be nice but a Leicester win means pars and squaring the Ipswich and Leeds cards will do.

No day of glory Cup raising needed here - a solid runners up medal will do nicely.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Leicester win, and technically, 2nd place (ie automatic promotion) is "in our hands".     We don't need to drive every green and score eagles and birdies.   Ok, the occasional birdie would be nice but a Leicester win means pars and squaring the Ipswich and Leeds cards will do.

No day of glory Cup raising needed here - a solid runners up medal will do nicely.

It is anyway if we match Ipswichs results for the rest of the season and beat them at Portman Road we finish above them even if they win tomorrow night

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3

Leicester win. Then consolidate second place and do our best to hunt Leicester down.

To win the league we must ideally win at least two of the three away games against Leicester, Ipswich and Leeds. We could feasibly do that but it’s still a very tall order given the fragility which we showed in the last 15 minutes of yesterday’s match. A second place league finish is totally realistic but winning the Championship is only possible if we pull off some key results against our main rivals. Obvious really. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Because if Leicester lose Monday it might only be 107 points needed. Who knows. 

25 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Still in our hands if Ipswich win as we still have to play them. 

51 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Except Ipswich beating Leicester at the King Power will give them a huge boost of confidence and momentum. Ipswich, who have had a tough set of fixtures, they win and "suddenly their mentality and focus changes" - they will be ten feet tall.

I just want us to be second today, tomorrow and next week. We've earned it.

I'd rather we finished second and got promoted than finish third in any scenario. 

Your "I'd rather finish third going for it" seems to suggest that the "going for it" just seems to involve, er, a particular team losing to another team on Monday night. What's the point indeed.

Leicester to win as that is much, much better for us right now.

Love different opinions. Will agree to disagree but love hearing peoples’ ideas and thoughts around this. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Sounds doable, doesn't it.

It does let’s see where we are Mid March, we play Leicester away, Middlesbrough home then Ipswich away. Easter weekend is massive we could be either closing in on first or not even on the top 3 by the end of it. Let’s hope Russell is stocked up on tofu, he’s going to need a lot of protein that weekend 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We seem to be forgetting Leeds. Much more stronger team than Ipswich. Personally think that second place will be between us and Leeds. I think Ipswich will falter now.

No one is forgetting them and I think you’re probably right, at the moment there is a nice cushion between us and them but as we know that can change very quickly. Is and Leicester still have to go there which will have a massive impact on the final positions. Our visit there could be a auto promotion play off

42 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

The best result is a draw, as we gain 2pts on both teams this gameweek.

Indeed. I think there's a fair amount of over-analysis going on here. 

Edited by trousers

21 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We seem to be forgetting Leeds. Much more stronger team than Ipswich. Personally think that second place will be between us and Leeds. I think Ipswich will falter now.

Agree, we don't want to go there last game needing something either, need to be clear ahead of them by then 

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

Indeed. I think there's a fair amount of over-analysis going on here. 

Yes a long way to go with a few surprises along the way 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JRM said:

Agree, we don't want to go there last game needing something either, need to be clear ahead of them by then 

Agree.

This, for me, is the priority.

Get to the Leeds game with it being completely meaningless. They can't leapfrog us but also they can't allow someone else to overtake us if we lose/draw.

Leeds dropping more points to Preston today would help that.

1 hour ago, EBS1980 said:

The best result is a draw, as we gain 2pts on both teams this gameweek.

I agree. 4 points gained is better than 3. Leicester are expected to win and if they do, they'll prove they are uncatchable. But, if it's a draw or in the unlikely event that Ipswich win, the league title will still be achievable for us, and for a club whose fans have been starved of trophies, the Championship would be a big one.  Leicester really shouldn't be as motivated as Saints to win it as they have won it seven times already. 

We've been runners-up in leagues and cups so many times that it would be great if we could break the habit of being 'always the bridesmaid'.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Agree.

Get to the Leeds game with it being completely meaningless. They can't leapfrog us but also they can't allow someone else to overtake us if we lose/draw.

Absolutely, I keep looking at that game and it's giving me the shits even now. I really, really don't want anything on that game. If it was at home, maybe, but at Elland Rd needing to win or something would be enough to do me in.

32 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Absolutely, I keep looking at that game and it's giving me the shits even now. I really, really don't want anything on that game. If it was at home, maybe, but at Elland Rd needing to win or something would be enough to do me in.

Ipswich dropping points tomorrow would probably place more importance on the result of that game than Leicester losing. If Ipswich drop out of the picture and Leicester pull further away, the one remaining automatic promotion place could very well depend on the result of that game at Elland Road. If we assume that we'll finish above Ipswich anyway, and most pundits and bookies do, then the best result for us tomorrow would be one that kept the possibility of both automatic promotion berths remaining open.

Edited by Nordic Saint

5 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Ipswich dropping points today would probably have less bearing on the result of that game than Leicester losing beecause If Ipswich drop out of the picture, the one remaining automatic promotion place could very well depend on the result of that game at Elland Road. If we assume that we'll finish above Ipswich anyway, and most pundits and bookies do, then the best result for us today would be one that kept the possibility of both automatic promotion berths remaining open.

Exactly. If Leicester lose today and we beat them whilst matching their results then the gap is down to 4. 

I will go against the grain here and say I want an Ipswich win. If Leicester keep dropping points it will mess up their feel good factor and maybe give us a chance to take the title. I think we have a better chance to overhaul Ipswich no matter what, but if Leicester win tomorrow just for us to be ahead of Ipswich, it is kind of meaningless. Let's focus on top spot and see if Leicester really do fall apart.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

Got to back this team. They are doing us proud and the fans (at the stadium not all on here) are right behind them. What’s the point in supporting a team if you don’t want to go all out and win. None of this what, if’s, but’s and maybes. Ipswich win. The gap between us and top remains the same. Two teams closing in on Leicester, suddenly their mentality and focus changes. We’ve got the momentum. Would rather come second or third going all out for it than anything else, otherwise, what’s the point? 

21, 22 games unbeaten…

Our momentum over this 20 game run has been just 1 point better than Leicester. To catch them we are going to have to do even better, is that really possible?

IMG_0180.thumb.jpeg.c1a668cfe2d57e1c000218ce4482d967.jpeg

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Or they do worse. 

It’s no slight against Saints to say there is no chance we are catching Leicester this season, they have been on a run as good as our current run for the entire season. I personally don’t think we can do it, even if we carry on our current PPG from this run. I’m usually on the optimistic side of things too. 

46 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Exactly. If Leicester lose today and we beat them whilst matching their results then the gap is down to 4. 

So, let’s say Leicester beat Ipswich, it will have taken a 20-game record breaking run from saints to haul-in 1 whole point on them.

i don’t even think we have 20 games left to get the other 10 points needed. 

Added to that, we have the hardest away games remaining if the top 4.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hatch said:

Want to win this league now

Ipswich win for me. Need to look long term. 

If Ipswich win, “long term” could mean next season. 

Its bizarre anyone can think an Ipswich win is in anyway good for us. Before Sunderland they hadn’t won in 5 league games. If they don’t win Monday it’ll be 1 win in 7. If they win, it’ll be 2 on the bounce, including beating the best side in the league away from home.

Yeah, let’s prey for the confidence boost they need & an end to their slump….

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

So, let’s say Leicester beat Ipswich, it will have taken a 20-game record breaking run from saints to haul-in 1 whole point on them.

i don’t even think we have 20 games left to get the other 10 points needed. 

Statistics, damn lies and statistics. 

If you compare the last 13 games since the start of November and not the last 20 we have gained 5 points on Leicester. If they lose on Mondays it will be 8 points from 14 matches. 

I think it will be hard for us to overtake them but I wouldn't write us off just yet. A 21 match unbeaten run is hard to achieve but we have managed it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Statistics, damn lies and statistics. 

If you compare the last 13 games since the start of November and not the last 20 we have gained 5 points on Leicester. If they lose on Mondays it will be 8 points from 14 matches. 

I think it will be hard for us to overtake them but I wouldn't write us off just yet. A 21 match unbeaten run is hard to achieve but we have managed it. 

To haul them in we would likely need a 38 game unbeaten run.

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Agree.

Just got a pen in injury time. Bastards…

• Like 1

Leeds winning is an obvious blessing in disguise. They'll also win their next two before we play and put themselves ahead of us. They then become the hunted rather than the hunters. Then watch them crumble under the pressure. It's written in the stars, I tell you.

;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EBS1980 said:

4 teams going for 2 places is better than 3 teams going for 2 place.

That's true, but unfortunately 3 teams going for 1 auto place is where we find ourselves. Leicester aren't finishing below 2nd.

Edited by Dark Munster

8 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Our momentum over this 20 game run has been just 1 point better than Leicester. To catch them we are going to have to do even better, is that really possible?

IMG_0180.thumb.jpeg.c1a668cfe2d57e1c000218ce4482d967.jpeg

Of course it’s possible. 

As long as we can mathematically overtake them, I’ll keep supporting and believing. 

I don’t go too much for stats and form. Just take each game at a time, enjoy it and hope. Would be amazing to see us lift another trophy so I’ll always pick/want the results that give us the best chance of winning the league. 

• Like 3