Leicester vs Ipswich

SNSUN

13 minutes ago, SW11_Saint said:

It’s an amazing trophy actually. The old football league trophy. Much classier than the tacky PL trophy. 

I'd love to win it having missed out on both winners trophies for the last two promotions

• Like 4

Some players really are brain-dead. Just because you CAN reach the cross doesn't mean you should stretch for it and knock it out for a goal kick to the opposition. If you wouldn't be able to control it then letting it go creates a more dangerous situation for the opposition. 

Don't see Leicester dropping enough points to allow us to overtake them, so a win for them would have been a better result IMO although a draw not too bad.

As great as it would be to win the league the goal is to get promoted and our best chance to do that is by finishing 2nd behind Leicester.

Ipswich are not flashy but are very solid and appear to have a good mentality - would be far more comfortable if we were a few points ahead of them!

• Like 2

Ipswich deserve it, been good second half.  Not sure if I’m pleased with that result or not, back in 3rd but still have a faint hope of catch Leicester. So much for Ipswich rolling over and dropping away. They’re going to keep going right to the wire 

• Like 1

WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE LEAGUE 

AND NOW YOU'RE GONNA BELIEVE US

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2

Leicester very poor in the second half so a draw was fair. We are a better footballing side than either of these. I think we'll close in on Leicester but may not overtake them. Ipswich are very gutsy and don't give up but they haven't got a lot of quality.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Don't see Leicester dropping enough points to allow us to overtake them, so a win for them would have been a better result IMO although a draw not too bad.

As great as it would be to win the league the goal is to get promoted and our best chance to do that is by finishing 2nd behind Leicester.

Ipswich are not flashy but are very solid and appear to have a good mentality - would be far more comfortable if we were a few points ahead of them!

Leicester and Ipswich both in a sticky patch form wise. I can easily see them dropping another 10-15 points in the last 18 games.

• Like 1

Just now, Saint Scott said:

Leicester and Ipswich both in a sticky patch form wise. I can easily see them dropping another 10-15 points in the last 18 games.

If we beat them then we only need to make up 5 points in 17 games. Definitely doable. 

Leicester are having a wobble. They have dropped 5 points in their last 2 games and we have closed the gap from 13 points to 8. We also still have to play them at their place. I would say in our current form that gap could close very quickly. 😃 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No result was really a bad result tonight.

Leicester didn't look great in that 2nd half, and their forums are a hoot right now. You'd think they were battling relegation, some of their fans going on about how they won't get promoted now - over emotional wallies.

Points taken away from Ipswich and Leicester though, being 2nd today or tomorrow means fuck all - it's the long game.

I thought it was Vestergaard's player who went in for the rebound, while our ex-player had been drawn into the middle.

I just want to go up. Not fussed if it's second. We're right behind though with plenty of games left. Just relying on our record being extended further for a bit.

Just now, Saint Scott said:

How are Leicester in a sticky patch?

They lost a game against Cov when they were leading then had a man sent off, then they drew against the second placed team in the league. Before that they undefeated in ten with eight wins. Is that really what you define as a “sticky patch”?

Just now, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I thought it was Vestergaard's player who went in for the rebound, while our ex-player had been drawn into the middle.

I just want to go up. Not fussed if it's second. We're right behind though with plenty of games left. Just relying on our record being extended further for a bit.

It'll be a bit meh for me if we go up second. Back into the Prem sure but statistically likely to come straight back down again, so would rather win the league.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Dr Who? said:

Leicester are having a wobble. They have dropped 5 points in their last 2 games and we have closed the gap from 13 points to 8. We also still have to play them at their place. I would say in our current form that gap could close very quickly. 😃 

Exactly, they’re wobbling and we’re in the form of the century and we’re still 8 points behind them with some incredibly tough fixtures to come. Anyone who thinks we’re catching Leicester are in dreamland. 

bad result for us tonight, it’ll feel like 3 points to Ipswich and continues momentum. Them getting a pasting would have been the best result for us. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Mixedkebab said:

The matches against them at their places will be twitchy, got a feeling we will have to win both.

Ipswich managed that well after going behind, got a lot about them 

Free hits mate

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whilst a last minute equaliser might be frustrating for those not bothered about winning the league ultimately we’ve still made up 2 points in both these teams this gameweek. Carry on as we are and we’ll be back in the Prem before we know it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, saintant said:

If we could manage to beat Leicester at their place that reduces to 5 so never say never but It's still a big ask.

We haven't even got into the championship part of the season. The league will be won in the last 15 games. 

How far behind us were bloody Reading behind us and West Ham when we went up last time? Bigger gap than 8 points I think!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

So I take it the only trophies worth winning are the Premier League and FA Cup (possibly League Cup, though that is seen as a bit Mickey Mouse these days), seems a bit limiting really, never likely that we will them. And you describe the trophy as Noddy. Think its you that should be wearing the blue hat with a bell on.

Yep, The Premier league, FA Cup & League cup are the only English trophy’s worth winning. A trophy for finishing 21st in the professional  English game is  meaningless , no matter how nice or historic the actual trophy once was. Second division champions, who fucking cares. Promotion is the be all and end all when you’re in this league. 

So what if it’s a bit “limiting” that’s the fucking point. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, bpsaint said:

Whilst a last minute equaliser might be frustrating for those not bothered about winning the league ultimately we’ve still made up 2 points in both these teams this gameweek. Carry on as we are and we’ll be back in the Prem before we know it.

That cheered me up.

Just now, Dr Who? said:

Just noticed that Leeds play twice and could move into 2nd before we play again, away at Rotherham we could be 4th. All phycological. 

For a minute. 🙂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

They lost a game against Cov when they were leading then had a man sent off, then they drew against the second placed team in the league. Before that they undefeated in ten with eight wins. Is that really what you define as a “sticky patch”?

For them it’s a sticky patch….

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Let's go hunting then, both these look shite anyway

Agree, I don’t think either of them look particularly outstanding, certainly not as good as we have been over the last few games. We should be aiming to reel them both in and finish first.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

They've dropped 5 points in their last two league fixtures when compared to their previous 26 league games they only dropped 11. So, based on their high standards this season, yes, I'd call it sticky.

They have 3 tricky away fixtures next month in Stoke, Watford and Leeds. They could well drop points here whilst our February is a lot kinder fixture wise.

My main point is they're not out of reach despite others claiming they are

Edited by Saint Scott
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Just noticed that Leeds play twice and could move into 2nd before we play again, away at Rotherham we could be 4th. All phycological. 

Tough game for them this Wednesday though. Norwich finding a bit of form. 

14 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s not a decent trophy though is it? 

It’s a bit Noddy trying to claim it is. Promotion is the only thing that matters in this league. 

It's the historic trophy for the winners of the Football League. Of course it's decent. It would be the best league trophy we've ever won.

1 minute ago, jamesfp1 said:

Draw was the best result for us longer term

The only term that counts is this season and its far, far, far more likely we get auto promoted in 2nd place than ahead of Leicester.

Therefore Ipswich gaining a point and maintaining belief etc makes our goal of auto promotion a tiny bit harder to achieve.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

They've dropped 5 points in their last two league fixtures when compared to their previous 26 league games they only dropped 11. So, based on their high standards that season, yes, I'd call it sticky.

They have 3 tricky away fixtures next month in Stoke, Watford and Leeds. They could well drop points here whilst our February is a lot kinder fixture wise.

My main point is they're not out of reach despite others claiming they are

Red and white tinted glasses or what…

Bristol City, West Brom & Hull all to come within a week next month.

March and the start of April don’t look much better. 

Brum (Different side under Mowbray, will be a good side next year), Leicester, boro, Ipswich and Cov all within a month (give or take) will define our season. 

• Like 1