Saints 5-3 Huddersfield - Match Thread

goodymatt

On 07/02/2024 at 07:22, Wade Garrett said:

This will be another team of Northern  ETC...

I hope they don't take this personally and realise it's just Wade being Wade! Having seen Saints away there in the past I have to say they have some excellent pubs.

I did chuckle at the hare coursing bit, that _was_ a bit Northern.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

I did chuckle at the hare coursing bit, that _was_ a bit Northern.

Sadly, very common on Salisbury Plain and around here where I live also in Wiltshire. I don't think of Wiltshire as northern, though perhaps I should given my origins. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Going off topic, as a Northerner can I just point out that of 31 Premier League titles, 22 have been won by Northern teams, ( given from my viewpoint Leicester is south ), in fact 21 of those have been by Lancashire teams.

This will be another team of Northern wankers put to the sword.  Routine 5-0, fuck knows who gets the goals, fuck knows who starts with everyone fit and in form.

Those Ee-Bah-Gum shitcunts will wish they stayed home looking after their whippets.  Fuck off back to your desolate shitholes.

Hate these ‘sit on the fence’ type posts. It’s like a 50/50 scarf. Get behind your team FFS! 😂 

• Haha 5

This will be another team of Northern wankers put to the sword.  Routine 5-0, fuck knows who gets the goals, fuck knows who starts with everyone fit and in form.

Those Ee-Bah-Gum shitcunts will wish they stayed home looking after their whippets.  Fuck off back to your desolate shitholes.

I hope this is said with tunge in cheek and not the invective it seems to be. In the words of  song" what the world needs now is love sweet love."

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Going off topic, as a Northerner can I just point out that of 31 Premier League titles, 22 have been won by Northern teams, ( given from my viewpoint Leicester is south ), in fact 21 of those have been by Lancashire teams.

Technically it's only one, because Manchester isn't actually in Lancashire.

As a Northerner, I might have expected you to know this ;)

15 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Anywhere Lancashire County Cricket Club play home fixtures is in Lancashire, also the Duchy of Lancaster includes those modern inventions Greater Manchester and Merseyside, as well as the Furness Peninsula.  Are you willing to tell the King he is wrong ? My wife's mother and father were born in Manchester in the late 1930s and both said they came from Lancashire.

Anyway, you're a Yorkie so get back to your flat caps and whippets.

Edited by badgerx16

28 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Half correct.... Manchester isn't in the adminstrative 'county' of Lancashire but it is still in the historic / geographical county of Lancashire....

https://www.forl.co.uk/

image.png.b44c86809bcacbeb94a5931fe1b1d62a.png

Edited by trousers

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Wankashire I call it. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

I doubt that half the team is not British let alone be Northerrners.   I  have found the latter very friendly on the whole.

Oh, we are.

( See below ).

Edited by badgerx16

29 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

I doubt that half the team is not British let alone be Northerrners.   I  have found the latter very friendly on the whole.

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

Oh, we are.

52 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Anyway, you're a Yorkie so get back to your flat caps and whippets.

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

Fuckin wurzel.

Not all of you, it seems ;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Not all of you, it seems ;)

He said "on the whole'.

Anyway, most Yorkshiremen are happy with their flat cap and whippet, what annoys them is being on the wrong side of nearly 600 years of English history 😉

Edited by badgerx16

What are you going on about Lancashire for?  Huddersfield is in West Yorkshire - or in old money the West Riding of Yorkshire.  In the borough of Kirklees (which sounds like it should be in Scotland).

Policed by West Yorkshire's finest!

Its also the home of Rugby League which was founded at a meeting in the Royal Hotel next to Huddersfield train station. And the Town Hall is quite special when you get inside. Its also home of the famous Huddersfield Choral Society.

Its also where Last of the Summer Wine was filmed - in the outlying village of Holmfirth and occasionally in the town itself.  And Patrick Steward  aka Jean Luc Picard from Star Trek hails from Huddersfield.

I studied there in the 90s and although the University was good and the student scene was fun the town was a pretty grim place overall.  It really was a beneficiary of Thatcher's legacy.  

Some of the villages in the surrounding area were very nice though.

When Huddersfield Polytechnic became a new university the students union proposed they call it the First University College of Kirklees. It took a while for the 'management'  to realise this was a joke!

I think Huddersfield has consistently been voted one of the worst places to live in the country - which is pretty bad for a place that in the 1920's was one of the wealthiest places in England and had one of the most successful football teams of the period.

But it now has a violent crime and major drug problem.  This was an interesting read and watch for me - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/595fH2sGQh/How_did_my_hometown_become_a_violent_crime_hotspot - I recognised many of the places.

Edited by Rebel

37 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

He said "on the whole'.

Anyway, most Yorkshiremen are happy with their flat cap and whippet, what annoys them is being on the wrong side of nearly 600 years of English history 😉

Meh. I'm only an honorary Yorkshireman anyway. Been here 20 years, but I still pronounce 'bath' and 'glass' correctly in the King's English. 

And I've never owned a whippet. My neighbour's got one (named Winston), and I have no idea what he feeds him but it's the chunkiest whippet I've ever seen!

Edited by Sheaf Saint

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Meh. I'm only an honorary Yorkshireman anyway. Been here 20 years, but I still pronounce 'bath' and 'glass' correctly in the King's English. 

And I've never owned a whippet. My neighbour's got one, and I have no idea what he feeds him but it's the chunkiest whippet I've ever seen!

My wife and youngest son say that they know when to avoid me because my pronunciation goes "south"' when I'm annoyed.

Anyway, hopefully Saints carry on with their form and put these particular Tykes to the sword.

Edited by badgerx16

1 hour ago, Oldandtired said:

I wonder if there’s a case for starting Mara instead of Adams. I think he’s a better finisher than CA, so might be worth an hour as it would appear that he has a bit more confidence now. 

Most certainly there is, players are asked to seize their chance and make a difference which Mara exemplified on Tuesday evening. It would be a travesty if he didn't start on Saturday.

For every goal that Adams scores there are usually three or four sitters that he misses. There is very little subtlety to his game, just a bludgeon really.

For me Mara starts in the middle and I would also like to see Meghoma in for Manning.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

On 06/02/2024 at 22:53, Harry_SFC said:

Only change I could see is Brooks coming in for Che, but do we need to change it? Despite Che's poor first half tonight he ended up with a goal and two assists. 

Can he play in this one? Didn't he play for Bournemouth in the league?

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Bournemouth are in the PL a different higher league to us hard to believe but poor investment in players prior to our current take over probably the cause

34 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Most certainly there is, players are asked to seize their chance and make a difference which Mara exemplified on Tuesday evening. It would be a travesty if he didn't start on Saturday.

For every goal that Adams scores there are usually three or four sitters that he misses. There is very little subtlety to his game, just a bludgeon really.

For me Mara starts in the middle and I would also like to see Meghoma in for Manning.

That’s a good reason to start Mara. But then you’d have to drop a player who scored one and had two assists!

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Fairly sure that the rules were changed last summer - and so frustratingly I think we're unlikely to see Brooksy in the starting XI again this week due to playing for B'mouth.  Obviously that all changes after the Liverpool game and if we dont beat them then his 'cuptiedness' (?) will be over - so expect to see him make his full debut against Birmingham.

5 minutes ago, malcolm waldron said:

Fairly sure that the rules were changed last summer - and so frustratingly I think we're unlikely to see Brooksy in the starting XI again this week due to playing for B'mouth.  Obviously that all changes after the Liverpool game and if we dont beat them then his 'cuptiedness' (?) will be over - so expect to see him make his full debut against Birmingham.

why have we signed a player who wont ever play for us?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

That’s a good reason to start Mara. But then you’d have to drop a player who scored one and had two assists!

The first assist he clearly didn't intend and the second one was just shuffling the ball across to someone who belted it in from more than 20 yards. And Mara would've had 2 goals and an excellent (intentional) assist if Che could finish reliably from 5 yards.

Good news for anyone who is using the M3 after the game: the full weekend closure between J4A and J3 London-bound has been cancelled, but there will be overnight (21.00-06.00) J4-3 northbound closures Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

Edited by waylander
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

The first assist he clearly didn't intend and the second one was just shuffling the ball across to someone who belted it in from more than 20 yards. And Mara would've had 2 goals and an excellent (intentional) assist if Che could finish reliably from 5 yards.

Be as that may, he still had a goal and 2 assists. If RM says those things to him to explain why he's dropping him I think he'll be none too pleased, and I wouldn't blame him.

Games are coming up fast and furious, squad rotation will be key, and so Mara will have plenty of opportunities to play, even for 30 minutes or so per match if he doesn't start any of them.

Edited by Dark Munster

16 minutes ago, SW11_Saint said:

Who could they mean?! 🤔
IMG_2510.thumb.jpeg.4353e35a2c141d9f34b0388627f29ca9.jpeg

Porrohman
Herbert Chapman Terrier

http://storage.proboards.com/2448479/a/1BVZPAOf907kd8PGLl5d.jpg

[M0:14]
8 hours ago via mobile  
Post Options

Post by Porrohman on 8 hours ago

Absolute wanker, bet he's a steward on the ferry to Cowes

Wade Garrett
Posted yesterday at 07:22
This will be another team of Northern wankers put to the sword. Routine 5-0, fuck knows who gets the goals, fuck knows who starts with everyone fit and in form.

Those Ee-Bah-Gum shitcunts will wish they stayed home looking after their whippets. Fuck off back to your desolate shitholes.
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:
Porrohman
Herbert Chapman Terrier

8 hours ago via mobile  
Post Options

Wade Garrett
This will be another team of Northern wankers put to the sword. Routine 5-0, fuck knows who gets the goals, fuck knows who starts with everyone fit and in form.

Those Ee-Bah-Gum shitcunts will wish they stayed home looking after their whippets. Fuck off back to your desolate shitholes.

😂😂😂

Heads  up for Traffic.

One way system on Inner Ring Road

Cruise ship set to depart Ocean Terminal at 6pm which means passenger will be due to the Ship for around 2pm

Chinese New Year displays taking place all day in Guildhall square.

the roads could well get grid-locked...

10 hours ago, badgerx16 said:
Porrohman
Herbert Chapman Terrier

8 hours ago via mobile  
Post Options

Wade Garrett

That's got them well and truly rattled 😂

23 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

And I've never owned a whippet. My neighbour's got one (named Winston), and I have no idea what he feeds him but it's the chunkiest whippet I've ever seen!

I’m an honorary Yorkshire man too. I’ve been here 11 years and although I don’t own a whippet one day after about six months I walked past a country clothing shop and had an uncontrollable urge to buy a flat cap. I noticed that after a few more weeks I had put on a. Significant amount of weight and had started greeting people with “ey up” instead of ignoring Them and looking at my feet like a southerner does. Amongst other positive changes to me is that I no longer eat any of that foreign muck and have a healthy diet now which consists of meat, two veg, a Yorkshire pudding and lard. I also only drink tasty bitter now not that flat lager you all drink down there. I’ve also become significantly harder no southern man can beat me in an arm wrestle and when it snows I just put my coat on. Things aren’t perfect up here by any means but that could easily change if they went back to how it used to be and stopped these foreigners playing cricket for Yorkshire, and of course giving us independence, when you live in gods county we don’t need the rest of you and your poncy southern ways.  

as for the game i cant see anything other than a work man like tough display from Hudders but saints to run out comfortable winners a celebrate our win with a few pints of real ale and lard sandwich. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

It's a highly competitive business getting into our first team now and Mara is winning it at the moment. Che needs to up his game, he misses too many sitters through hot headedness. Also, he's likely to be gone in the summer whereas Mara at 21 could be our future.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

1 hour ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Tbf, nobody is safe from Wade Garrett’s tongue, N, S, E or W. He was probably more uncomplimentary of Plymouth and the Taffs - things is, the more derogatory he his the more goals we score.

Shame to stop him now.

I'm just a bit worried if we ever get P****y in the cup!

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

Heads  up for Traffic.

One way system on Inner Ring Road

snip
the roads could well get grid-locked...

In better news, at least the trains seem to be running OK at the moment..

53 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’m an honorary Yorkshire man too. I’ve been here 11 years and although I don’t own a whippet one day after about six months I walked past a country clothing shop and had an uncontrollable urge to buy a flat cap. I noticed that after a few more weeks I had put on a. Significant amount of weight and had started greeting people with “ey up” instead of ignoring Them and looking at my feet like a southerner does. Amongst other positive changes to me is that I no longer eat any of that foreign muck and have a healthy diet now which consists of meat, two veg, a Yorkshire pudding and lard. I also only drink tasty bitter now not that flat lager you all drink down there. I’ve also become significantly harder no southern man can beat me in an arm wrestle and when it snows I just put my coat on. Things aren’t perfect up here by any means but that could easily change if they went back to how it used to be and stopped these foreigners playing cricket for Yorkshire, and of course giving us independence, when you live in gods county we don’t need the rest of you and your poncy southern ways.  

as for the game i cant see anything other than a work man like tough display from Hudders but saints to run out comfortable winners a celebrate our win with a few pints of real ale and lard sandwich. 

It's a bit of a strange thing up north when on public transport people start talking to you and you don't even know them , what's that about ?

37 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

It's a bit of a strange thing up north when on public transport people start talking to you and you don't even know them , what's that about ?

I could tell you but that would spoil the fun.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 5-3 Huddersfield - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic