Saints 0-1 Stoke - Match Thread

Lighthouse

5 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Tiger 131 day? 

Indeed, and the T shirt has just arrived in the post.

My birthday treat from my wife.

( And I don't agree with Moriarty;

)

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Dman said:

We’ve not had that all season.. ironically, the only time we have, we went 25 unbeaten.

Well that's an interesting comment. We haven't had a settled side all season oh apart from 25 games.

Oddly when we went 25 unbeaten we didn't have that settled a side. Manning/Bree and the reintroduction of Stephens half way through. The important thing was during that 25 game sequence is that Downes played most. When he got injured in the 25th game we went to pieces and haven't recovered consistently since. Now we have lost Stu and Baz as well we are scuppered because our supposedly strong squad is not as strong as people would like us to believe, we have a strong 1st XI but not a strong squad.

• Like 3

OK let's try again Russell.   No-one should reasonably blame the coaching staff  if we don't get wins v. Stoke and Leeds (especially)

On a good day ( and thankfully we've had a few of those ) ..our squad performed well and we've had some good results, even though not 

good enough for automatic promotion.   Bazunu has taken the blame for some goals, but performed well more often that not, but now with his

long term absence  ..we face the prospect of having Joe Lumley as the only goalkeeper on the books, after Macca leaves in the summer.

As automatic promotion has now gone and a play-off place is a certainty ..why do we not give Joe the remaining games to show his potential as

a possible candidate for Prem. football next season?   As it stands we cannot start next season ( in whatever league) with only two keepers and

not even be sure that Bazunu will be 100% fit by January ...and able to show his best from from the start.

We will need to sign an experienced, (preferably international) keeper before August, and  if Joe has a chance of vying for the number one shirt

we need to get a good look at him NOW,  and not leave it until he plays 45 minutes in one of those non-sensical, pre-season warm-up games,

and then have to choose someone else for the bench spot next season.

Edited by david in sweden

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

I reckon I'll see more fireworks than at St Mary's. I will be spending the day at Bovington Tank Museum, where there will be a tank battle re-enactment.

Is it true that SFC are thinking of sponsoring the Italian tank section at Bovington as their tanks only went backwards ?

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

We will need to sign an experienced, (preferably international) keeper before August

We already have one.  He has played the last couple of games.  He is out of contract soon but could sign a new one on reduced wages.  He is certainly good enough for a promotion-chasing Championship side and is used to being 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice. If we do not go up, he represent a low-risk solution to one of our problems.  A higher risk, but still one worth considering, is that fella in Turkey’s second division who has kept plenty of clean sheets for Goztepe.  Both would cost no signing-on fee.   I expect we shall do neither and go for another teenager, though. 👼

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Challenger said:

Is it true that SFC are thinking of sponsoring the Italian tank section at Bovington as their tanks only went backwards ?

I wish we could learn the traditional style of Italian shit-housery no nonsense defending.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Now is not the time. We need to go into the playoffs with a settled side.

And that's exactly why this Stoke game is important. We've had a couple of shit results that have shown up our shortcomings and even shown how important Baz has been to the style of play, but they need to be put behind us. 

The team we choose for Saturday (except Downes if he's still unfit) should be the same team that plays against Leeds and the first leg of the play-offs. I don't object to Edozie starting (Sule is not good enough and Fraser doesn't seem to be 100% fit) but SAA, Dibling, Meghoma shouldn't be trialled now. Stephens as left back? Possibly. 

• Like 1

On 24/04/2024 at 21:51, Whitey Grandad said:

Now is not the time. We need to go into the playoffs with a settled side.

Now is exactly is exactly the time to shake things up. At the very least it may rustle the feathers of some of the complacent individuals putting in poor  displays. We’d lose nothing imo in giving dibbling a shot over rothwell or saa over sulemana.

• Like 6

On 24/04/2024 at 16:33, John Boy Saint said:

On the upside, there may be some scores left unsettled from the skirmish after the final whistle up at Stoke and there’s some windmilling handbags, pushing and shoving nonsense to spice things up. Pretty sure Captain Jack can stoke up some needle (no pun intended).

The frightening prospect is that he will be one of the few players out there on Saturday that will still be here next season. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

And that's exactly why this Stoke game is important. We've had a couple of shit results that have shown up our shortcomings and even shown how important Baz has been to the style of play, but they need to be put behind us. 

The team we choose for Saturday (except Downes if he's still unfit) should be the same team that plays against Leeds and the first leg of the play-offs. I don't object to Edozie starting (Sule is not good enough and Fraser doesn't seem to be 100% fit) but SAA, Dibling, Meghoma shouldn't be trialled now. Stephens as left back? Possibly

I hope not. He's terrible at full back, and always seems to 'get away' with something when played there. I remember the West Brom match, we seemed to keep a clean sheet in spite of him, not because of him. Was caught badly out of position 2 or 3 times, and only bailed out by poor finishing or the centre backs. 

1 hour ago, Winnersaint said:

Grateful we've only got to suffer 4 more games this season.

4 more? We are not progressing through the playoffs then? It could still happen, it could still be an excellent end to the season. It doesn’t feel like it right now, but it’s not over. 

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Never had i given less of a fuck about a game.

Sadly this.

Absolutely no reason to give a few of the young players some minutes, we might rely on them to come on in Extra time during the playoffs. They need to be sharp and have as much experience with the first team as possible, and this is as safe a game as you can get.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Never have i given less of a fuck about a game.

...typical that I chose such a game as my one home match of the season to attend.

The only positive thing is that my 'seat' is part of the new safe-standing area, so that will be a novelty.

Interesting fact if not already made, but the last Saints home game where standing was officially a thing was almost exactly 30 years ago to the same day (April 30th 1994) when we beat Aston Villa 4-1 on that glorious sunny day before they knocked the Milton Road end down.  I was there that day so fitting I guess to see in the first standing game at St Mary's.  Let's hope for an equally good display to end the standard season on a high, although I doubt the sheer commitment of Iain Dowie, Jeff Kenna, MLT and Ken Monkou will be present.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

...typical that I chose such a game as my one home match of the season to attend.

The only positive thing is that my 'seat' is part of the new safe-standing area, so that will be a novelty.

Interesting fact if not already made, but the last Saints home game where standing was officially a thing was almost exactly 30 years ago to the same day (April 30th 1994) when we beat Aston Villa 4-1 on that glorious sunny day before they knocked the Milton Road end down.  I was there that day so fitting I guess to see in the first standing game at St Mary's.  Let's hope for an equally good display to end the standard season on a high, although I doubt the sheer commitment of Iain Dowie, Jeff Kenna, MLT and Ken Monkou will be present.

Good memory of that game, Milton Road end basking in the end of season sun, absolutely packed, Villa fans wearing fancy dress in the Archers got a bit lively coming on the pitch, sure I recall Batman and Robin chasing Iain Dowie. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JRM said:

Good memory of that game, Milton Road end basking in the end of season sun, absolutely packed, Villa fans wearing fancy dress in the Archers got a bit lively coming on the pitch, sure I recall Batman and Robin chasing Iain Dowie. 

Yeah they were lively in town after the game as well still in the costumes

How good it was to see Dowie get straight up after being poleaxed by Spink, and the red card still got given, no need for these bellends to roll around on the floor to try and get oppo players carded 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mixedkebab said:

Yeah they were lively in town after the game as well still in the costumes

How good it was to see Dowie get straight up after being poleaxed by Spink, and the red card still got given, no need for these bellends to roll around on the floor to try and get oppo players carded 

Yup Dowie was proper hard.  I thought he was catastrophically injured when that happened, but was up a few minutes later and looking fine!  Respect!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

In many respects, Sunglasses, this is the most important game of the season up to now. RM needs to get the team focused. Win comfortably and build up confidence and momentum to take in to the playoffs. This isn't the time to dick about giving peripheral players a game. 1st choice team playing in their rightful positions is what's needed.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

In many respects, Sunglasses, this is the most important game of the season up to now. RM needs to get the team focused. Win comfortably and build up confidence and momentum to take in to the playoffs. This isn't the time to dick about giving peripheral players a game. 1st choice team playing in their rightful positions is what's needed.

Fair point! Let's hope it's a good'un!

On 25/04/2024 at 18:58, Wade Garrett said:

Let’s go 4-4-2 and fucking destroy them Russ.

Forget this new age bollocks way of playing.  Propaganda football that leaves us wide open.

4-4-fucking 2.

4-2-4 pal

lets activate Nichol mode

des boys will play let dey r on cheat mode bro

• Like 1

Martin’s comments about not using our academy players because he hasn’t used them much so far is so far attached from what Southampton is about. I get that he needs to win and needs to get promotion but a dead rubber when you already have injuries, if this isn’t a free hit for academy players then when is? And that’s exactly what they will be thinking too, that’s always what Southampton had as its USP over other better paying or grander academies. The fact that we don’t have the evidence to back that up will surely lead us to lose even more players like Doyle and JJM did this season. If we stay in the championship longer than our parachute payments - not saying we will, just if - then the academy will be critical.

There’s some incredible talent in our academy but their minutes are going to loan players who, besides Downes and THB, have been hot and cold. I understand we had to buy in some talent from other academies as we definitely had a couple of years where the academy was a bit baron, but there’s a lot of attacking talent at least coming through and it’s not getting its opportunity to get any kind of minutes at all. 

• Like 4

The QPR/Leeds result should give the team a massive confidence boost. Exactly the tonic needed to get our promotion momentum going.

Won't happen, but I'd like to see Edozie start rather than Brookes. Have SAA and Dibling on the bench (Sule can stay home) and if we're winning comfortably, one of them can replace AA/Che, but don't mess with the team too much. Consistency is important for the next five games!

• Like 1

On 25/04/2024 at 07:56, Maury Dyer said:

Yepp, who cares. The players don't give a shit, so why do I.?.

We'll be stuck here for years, just like Leeds were. It's the fact that Bummuff and Brightons bumboys gloating pisses me off.

What's happened??

"Bummuff" and "Brightons bumboys" (sic) :mcinnes:

7 hours ago, daldridge7 said:

Martin’s comments about not using our academy players because he hasn’t used them much so far is so far attached from what Southampton is about. I get that he needs to win and needs to get promotion but a dead rubber when you already have injuries, if this isn’t a free hit for academy players then when is? And that’s exactly what they will be thinking too, that’s always what Southampton had as its USP over other better paying or grander academies. The fact that we don’t have the evidence to back that up will surely lead us to lose even more players like Doyle and JJM did this season. If we stay in the championship longer than our parachute payments - not saying we will, just if - then the academy will be critical.

There’s some incredible talent in our academy but their minutes are going to loan players who, besides Downes and THB, have been hot and cold. I understand we had to buy in some talent from other academies as we definitely had a couple of years where the academy was a bit baron, but there’s a lot of attacking talent at least coming through and it’s not getting its opportunity to get any kind of minutes at all. 

No. We need to prepare for the playoffs with our best possible team. Now is not the time to take any risks.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

We’ve lost our last two games. Do you want to go into the playoffs having lost our last four?

It shouldn't matter one way or the other.  It won't affect our league position and therefore when we play home and awqy in the play offs.

If you're worried about the players being 'up for it' (I know I am), sadly they've already proved they can't do anything but bottle the 'big' games this season.  Losing or drawing another two meaningless games isn't going to make much difference to our mental resilience.  If the players can't motivate themselves for three of the biggest games of their careers, we're fucked anyway!

Edited by Weston Super Saint
  • Like 1

We are 100% still going to be in this league next season so there has to be a reaction today and a better performance to show that we can regroup and  are capable of improving our weak mentality (and sometimes football) next season.... Hopefully with a proper tactician in charge!  

30 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It shouldn't matter one way or the other.  It won't affect our league position and therefore when we play home and awqy in the play offs.

If you're worried about the players being 'up for it' (I know I am), sadly they've already proved they can't do anything but bottle the 'big' games this season.  Losing or drawing another two meaningless games isn't going to make much difference to our mental resilience.  If the players can't motivate themselves for three of the biggest games of their careers, we're fucked anyway!

I'm with Whitey on this one. Losing becomes a state of mind and a downward spiral. Look at last year. These next two games aren't meaningless in the slightest.

I remember seeing THB's reaction after we scored the last minute winner against Watford recently and you could see what it meant to him. The realisation that we were still in the promotion race. OK, it only lasted one game, but these players are up for it, and frankly I think they're more up for it than the prima donnas like Gnonto and Summerville. What we need is RM to get the tactics right and he hopefully practiced for teams that give us the high press!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

We are 100% still going to be in this league next season so there has to be a reaction today and a better performance to show that we can regroup and  are capable of improving our weak mentality (and sometimes football) next season.... Hopefully with a proper tactician in charge!  

Not 100%. It may feel like it, but it’s not over yet. We have had some dramatic form swings this season, we have Downes to come back in hopefully, I’m assuming Ryan Fraser has been carrying an injury, so hopefully he features more. Potentially we are going to see a bit of Ross Stewart. Maybe Russ will be a bit more pragmatic? Who knows. If you asked me directly after Leicester I would have agreed with you, but somehow some optimism has returned.

20 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Never have i given less of a fuck about a game.

4-0 saints, they turn up when it doesnt matter

I'm sure many would agree with your first sentence, maybe not so much with the second. We could but who can guess what frame of mind these players are in now and if RM is just gonna tell them to stick with the plan?

Stoke are still in a relegation battle, if they're as tenacious as we used to be in those top-flight 'Great Escapes' many years back, then our defenders could again be under a bit of pressure while they're ponderously knocking the ball between themselves. "Brave" man to bet on this one.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JRM said:

If I remember rightly that was the last home game of the season and the last game the Milton was a terrace. They’d already converted the archers the summer before and given the away fans the whole end which meant that the away fans always seemed a lot louder than us. Best thing they did was give it back to us. 

2 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Just passed Will & a fellow player/ coach dog walking Riverside park. Managed to get a smile and positive eye contact as was wearing obvious Saints gear. Alls well I hope! 🤞

Was it one of those polite don’t talk to me smiles that people give when they really don’t want to engage with you?

• Haha 1

On 25/04/2024 at 13:41, VectisSaint said:

Well that's an interesting comment. We haven't had a settled side all season oh apart from 25 games.

Oddly when we went 25 unbeaten we didn't have that settled a side. Manning/Bree and the reintroduction of Stephens half way through. The important thing was during that 25 game sequence is that Downes played most. When he got injured in the 25th game we went to pieces and haven't recovered consistently since. Now we have lost Stu and Baz as well we are scuppered because our supposedly strong squad is not as strong as people would like us to believe, we have a strong 1st XI but not a strong squad.

Without Downes we are rubbish, it's that simple. Sad that he won't be here next season. Still he deserves to be in the PL;  if ever the epithet "premier league player" applied to anybody the Championship it is to Flynn Downes. There will be many suitors for his signature in the summer.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-1 Stoke - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic