WBA 0-0 Saints - SF 1st Leg Match Thread

SaintBobby

2 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

I'm not so sure that would be a good thing. They are in great form and the only side in the playoffs that we haven't beaten twice. 

They’re in exactly the same form as we are - 9 points from last 6 games.

I don't know why everyone thinks today is going to be easy. It will NOT be easy - this division is full of hard to call games - especially when you get to the top 6. West Brom are a good outfit and will push us all the way. Not easy. 

West Brom 0 - 4 Saints. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

They’re in exactly the same form as we are - 9 points from last 6 games.

Exactly my point, their form over the last 6 matches is much better than Leeds

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Doesnt look like Adams has travelled.

Ugh. In which case I think I'd actually rather chance it with Sulemana down the middle for the first 70 mins, and then throw Stewart on rather than move A Arma from where he's effective to where he's not, or have Mara anywhere on the pitch. At least if it's Sully his pace presents some sort of threat running in behind on the counter. 

• Like 4

Will be an interesting selection. Could either play Mara or Sulemana with Arma in the 352 or add Brooks and Fraser in the 433 but would likely mean either Stephens at LB or THB at RB as am sure that all 3 CBs will be in the line up.

5 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Anything from two nil defeat upwards we can work with second leg.

Has to be an absolute car crash for us not to still be in it for the home tie.

This is the crux of the matter, you can predict any scoreline you want, but the bottom line is the manager and players will want to be in the game for the second leg.  This one could be a cagey affair that sees us sit in a bit. 

2 minutes ago, Micky said:

This is the crux of the matter, you can predict any scoreline you want, but the bottom line is the manager and players will want to be in the game for the second leg.  This one could be a cagey affair that sees us sit in a bit. 

So what you're saying is we should abandon our usual, high-tempo, dynamic attacking game and just pass it around at the back a bit more, yeah?

• Haha 4

Nope, what I'm saying is be pragmatic, attack at the right times, shut up shop if we need to, don't be afraid to play it long now and again (last weeks winning goal), but above all get back to SMS with either something to attack, or something to defend. 

I mean honestly. Talk about how to take all the enthusiasm out of the fan base. How can he possibly think starting that useless idiot is the right call?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Mara. What the actual fuck?

just don’t get it. He has been absolutely garbage. So often I look at the teams Martin selects and just think WHY?

Edited by DT
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

So what you're saying is we should abandon our usual, high-tempo, dynamic attacking game and just pass it around at the back a bit more, yeah?

Nope, what I'm saying is be pragmatic, attack at the right times, shut up shop if we need to, don't be afraid to play it long now and again (last weeks winning goal), but above all get back to SMS with either something to attack, or something to defend. 

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Mara starts

Right, well, this is his chance isn't it. If he can't rouse himself to actually look like he's trying in this one, then there is literally no hope for him.

Time to step up or fuck off. 

• Like 5

Just now, Midfield_General said:

Not through choice, to be fair to him. If Adams was fit he would have played him. 

He could have changed back to another formation, played Armstrong through the middle and brought in Fraser or Brooks. Not as if bringing in Mara was his only chance option….

I guess Mara is starting as Adams is crocked, and he won't risk Stewart for 70+ minutes.

The only other option is Armstrong up front and that doesn't work.

Seems a pretty defensive line up, which is fair enough for the away play off game.

Mara … sub-optimal for sure, but if we’re playing that formation (which I’m happy with), the other options were basically him, Kamaldeen (equally lazy and crap), Stewart (not fit enough I assume), a youth player who’s never played, or a winger such as Fraser.

Awful options. I’d probably start Fraser as at least he can finish but our recruitment failings come home to roost again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, notnowcato said:

It was obviously going to be Mara if Adams was out. 
2 up top will suit Sekou. 

On what basis have you drawn that conclusion? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, James said:

He could have changed back to another formation, played Armstrong through the middle and brought in Fraser or Brooks. Not as if bringing in Mara was his only chance option….

Armstrong up top is just as shite as putting Mara there.

• Like 5

Bit nervous about this but need to keep it tight at the Hawthorns so the 3 at the back (which worked against Leeds) is the correct decision. If Mara offers one legacy to this club though in his time here, it can be getting us promoted. He has the tools, he just needs to work harder.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to WBA 0-0 Saints - SF 1st Leg Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic