Chelski build up thread

Dark Munster

Chelsea have been pretty poor for months. They'll seriously look to bounce back against us though.

No, the Premier League isn't poor, if anything the opposite to be honest.

Sorry. I am not understanding.

The EPL isn't poor, but Chelsea have been for months and yet are still the best team in it?

I simply disagree with your logic, or lack of.

What on earth do you mean?

Yuki.

If they had gone to ET and won tamely it would have been better IMO.

A loss will refocus them for the league and Mourinho will give them a kick up the arse.

First goal would be interesting like last year, but hard not to see them scoring at least one so we will need to be miles sharper than of late to have any chance.

Going to injury time, yes. Chelsea losing, could go either way.

Agreed but that was pretty horrific for Chelsea. They are there for the taking. Definitely not the same team of the start of the season. A perfect underdogs game if we play our cards right. We've had two weeks preparation and a nice trip to Switzerland and they've just had a footballing nightmare in 120 minutes.

No, the Premier League isn't poor, if anything the opposite to be honest.

In comparison to other leagues, lets face it, the Prem is bog standard- people say Germany is a one team league, and whilst Bayern are leading the league by 9 points, so will Chelsea with 8?

Fiorentina beat Spurs, Liverpool had a shocker, Arsenal lost 3-1 to Monaco, Man City lost to Barca... I could go on.. sure you could argue some of these might be one off results, but in reality, looking at our European results tell us how weak our top teams are.

What the Prem does have going for it is that generally teams down the bottom end are stronger, which overall creates a stronger, more competitive league-I'm sure a team that's 18th in England could beat a team 18th in Germany/Spain and same so on...

It's our 'top teams' in comparison with the elites of the other league where we fail...

In comparison to other leagues, lets face it, the Prem is bog standard- people say Germany is a one team league, and whilst Bayern are leading the league by 9 points, so will Chelsea with 8?

Fiorentina beat Spurs, Liverpool had a shocker, Arsenal lost 3-1 to Monaco, Man City lost to Barca... I could go on.. sure you could argue some of these might be one off results, but in reality, looking at our European results tell us how weak our top teams are.

What the Prem does have going for it is that generally teams down the bottom end are stronger, which overall creates a stronger, more competitive league-I'm sure a team that's 18th in England could beat a team 18th in Germany/Spain and same so on...

It's our 'top teams' in comparison with the elites of the other league where we fail...

And thank the Lord we don't have boring league like them. Championship too that is a pretty incredible league!

Edited by Wiggles31

No, it's much better than "bog standard", unless you're a complete idiot.

PL is v entertaining but everything points to standard dropping off. Saints competing at the top as one indicator. Europe coefficient is tumbling and at this rate we will only get 3 places soon..

Worse Utd team for years and they are still in top 4..

And to think some jokers were calling this Chelsea side the best teh PL has ever seen a few months ago..

Weird as clearly awash with money and players are of high calibre but performances against Europe's equivalents is embarrassing.. Could just be Everton in QFs.

I think Chelsea went out because of the tactics rather than the quality.

Jose did what he usually does in Europe. Played spoiling tactics and kept it tight. Teams are now more attacking home and away in Europe. It seems every big game Chelsea are in, they shut up shop, hound the ref and play dirty. Yet their manager will turn up on sky sports moaning when other sides do it to him

Had Chelsea been more attacking, I feel they would have won. They certainly have the players

Edited by Batman

Best time to play them, i reckon. The players looked tired last night, some are struggling with form, they have lost at home against 10 men and they may try too hard on Sunday. As long as we are calm and the ref is strong with their childish antics, then we can get a result on Sunday.

Best time to play them, i reckon. The players looked tired last night, some are struggling with form, they have lost at home against 10 men and they may try too hard on Sunday. As long as we are calm and the ref is strong with their childish antics, then we can get a result on Sunday.

more of less my feelings, too. Chelsea had the ref. on their side many times, but still looked poor, although Hazard is in a class of his own compared to the rest.

PSG looked like they had 11 men to Chelsea's 10...always looked like they wanted to win more, They were quicker on the ball, and their strikers were incredible. You saw the " angry side " of Zlatan, which is the cynical attitude he tends to take when things don't go his way, but even without him PSG were superior.

I'm sure RK noted that both PSG goals came from poorly-defended corners, let's hope we can turn that to our advantage on Sunday.

Mourinho is sure to be more direct in the dressing room than he was in his tame apology interview, it'll be interesting to see the effect it has on his team.

Edited by david in sweden

Could possibly be a good time to play them if this is the start of a mini wobble for them, can't really see us getting anything there but if we do it's going to be an ultra defensive performance with a smash n grab at the other end.

If we were to get something could act as a springboard for our own ambitions.

Why do we get this each season? It's like people are desperate for the chance to have a go at their own league. There are some great teams around Europe and it's a cup competition, these things happen. Chelsea are clearly a very good side, and they didn't even lose to PSG they drew twice. How does that make the Premier league rubbish? Arsenal did what they do sometimes and fcked up. Man City seem to have a mental block about it, but English sides have done fine over the years, it's not like they're all going stuffed every year and no Premier League sides have ever won it.

Barca, Madrid, PSG and Bayern are always going to be capable of beating anyone. Chelsea or Man City could beat them on their day, but in cup football you never know do you. I seem to remember Costa and Courtois getting to the final last season, and a weaker Chelsea being in the semi final. So has the Premier League become rubbish in the last 9 months?

Madrid got turned over the other night but you don't see anyone saying how bad the Spanish league is !

I think Chelsea went out because of the tactics rather than the quality.

Jose did what he usually does in Europe. Played spoiling tactics and kept it tight. Teams are now more attacking home and away in Europe. It seems every big game Chelsea are in, they shut up shop, hound the ref and play dirty. Yet their manager will turn up on sky sports moaning when other sides do it to him

Had Chelsea been more attacking, I feel they would have won. They certainly have the players

Chelsea try to respect FFP, PSG....don't even know what it means. Chelsea have nowhere near the quality of players that PSG do....Qatar FC are in football for 1 thing only, winning the CL at any price, if they lost last night Blanc was sacked.

Why do we get this each season? It's like people are desperate for the chance to have a go at their own league. There are some great teams around Europe and it's a cup competition, these things happen. Chelsea are clearly a very good side, and they didn't even lose to PSG they drew twice. How does that make the Premier league rubbish? Arsenal did what they do sometimes and fcked up. Man City seem to have a mental block about it, but English sides have done fine over the years, it's not like they're all going stuffed every year and no Premier League sides have ever won it.

Barca, Madrid, PSG and Bayern are always going to be capable of beating anyone. Chelsea or Man City could beat them on their day, but in cup football you never know do you. I seem to remember Costa and Courtois getting to the final last season, and a weaker Chelsea being in the semi final. So has the Premier League become rubbish in the last 9 months?

Don't know if it's become rubbish in the last 9 months but Southampton have been in the top 4 for virtually the whole season, :suspicious:.

Exactly. And not too long since they got stuffed by Dortmund, who now struggle a bit. In fact that year a few did say it's the end of Spanish football dominance, and certainly the end of Barcelona. I suppose it's the media's job to sensationalise it each season but it's rarely insightful. I just don't think a huge amount can be judged on cup football, it's literally luck of the draw most the time. An English club getting an easy route to the latter stages doesn't make the league any better or worse.

The only club to really fck up is Arsenal. Would anyone swap their squad for Monaco's? Really?

Arsenal could easily turn over their 3-1 defeat, Monaco just aren't a good side....then again neither are Arsenal on occasions.

Not sure if I agree with those advocating sitting back and playing on the break. Firstly I think the last thing we want to do is drop deep and invite pressure. They have the quality to break through eventually. Secondly I don't think we particularly have the players or the set up to play on the break. Might as well go for it. Morgan and Wanyama are protection enough in front of a back 4 containing Toby.

And thank the Lord we don't have boring league like them. Championship too that is a pretty incredible league!

Dead right, this year's run-in for the Championship promises to be sensational and watching is compulsive. Best advice for everyone is skip MotD and watch the Football League Show instead, you will not regret it. This is how we remember football at its best.

Assuming the presser is today?

Hopefully Toby is now fully fit - full squad bar JRod.

I'd go either(3-5-2): Forster; Alderweireld Fonte Yoshida; Clyne Schneiderlin Davis Wanyama Bertrand; Pelle Mane

Or: (4-3-3) Forster; Clyne Alderweireld Fonte Bertrand; Schneiderlin Wanyama Davis; Tadic Pelle Mane

We should go for it like we did in the home game, almost a 4-4-2 with Mane playing off Pelle, but bring Clyne and Bertrand in for Yoshida and Targett (assuming Toby is fit of course)

Forster; Clyne Alderweireld Fonte Bertrand; Schneiderlin Wanyama Davis; Tadic Pelle Mane

They couldn't handle Mane running at them, lets hope for the same again Sunday

I wonder how many dull, pointless questions will get asked today at the presser

Can't wait to hear Koeman's views on Chelsea's exit from the Champions League, Matic's suspension, Chelsea's prospects of winning the Premier League, and Mourinho's haircut :thumbup:

I wonder how many dull, pointless questions will get asked today at the presser

''What did you think about Chelsea's acting on Wednesday night?''

''What do you think of the state of English teams in Europe?''

''Do you believe Chelsea froze on the occasion?''

''What is your opinion on the performance of Gareth Bale?''

''Will you be Barcelona manager soon?''

''Oh, and any injury news for your team?''