Midtjylland vs Saints

Lighthouse

jay - everything is great

RK - Will wait to see if Mane will play, he has not trained

Vic did not travel, he is 'ill'...has a stomach infection

will take time for jay. that is normal. still not 100%

when he is 100%, he will be an interesting player for the national side. But please do not put pressure (pointed at the journo asking jay about being called up this week)

he needs more time, we have to manage him. Jay knows this. When he is at his normal level, he will start every game but he needs sharpness and time

Vic not coming has nothing to do with speculation. Doctor signed him off

We hope victor is back for sunday, will have to wait

we know how they play, we know we have to score, we cant defend a result, we have to go for it and we will go for it

expect them to play the same style. More so as they have an away goal

we should have won last week, if we play towards our level confident we will win

2nd half last week was how we have to play tomorrow

we will go more direct to get the result. main thing tomorrow is to win

I expected a hard start to the season and that is what we have. I am not negative about it. Always positive

No bids for any of our players

New players are not dependant on the result tomorrow

Ronald also said he had not spoken to the England Manager, Ray Hutchinson, about J-Rod.

Wanyama being out throws a wrench in formation. Do we start Reed or Davis as a 2nd DM?

Can we go it alone with one holding DM (Romeu)? Should we? If so, what is the optimum formation? If we are "going for it" is a 3-3-3-1 the way to go, considering what we need and the personnel available?

--------------Stek----------------

----Yoshida--Fonte--Caulker----

Cedric------Romeu------Targett

----Juanmi-----JWP-----JRod----

--------------Pelle----------------

(assumes Wanyama, Tadic, and Mane are not available)

or do we go 4–1–3–2? It is pretty aggressive in attack and Koeman has always been hesitant to pair up Pelle. If you go with this, I think you take Cedric out and put Yoshida in at RB.

----------------Stek---------------

Yoshida--Fonte--Caulker--Targett

--------------Romeu---------------

---Juanmi-------JWP-----Davis---

-----------Pelle-----JRod----------

(assumes Wanyama, Tadic, and Mane are not available)

Regardless, I think we need JWP and Caulker on the pitch so that we give ourselves a chance with a set piece as it may come to that if we are struggling in a 0-0 game. We need a goal. one goal. I do like our chances.

0-1 we advance

0-2 we advance

1-2 we advance

2-2 we advance

Best scenario: We score an early goal. That forces FC Midtjylland to have to go at us, we counter with a second goal. Game over. They would then have to score 3 goals to advance.

I was in the same hotel as the players earlier in Silkeborg and can exclusively reveal to Saintsweb readers that Harrison Reed was eating an apple.

Did you tell him he looked like a Wotsit? Player most likely to wear socks with flip flops is Martina IMO.

Did you tell him he looked like a Wotsit? Player most likely to wear socks with flip flops is Martina IMO.

I was only discussing the relative merits, or lack of, around the wotsit chant earlier this evening. This was not related to Harrison Reed, more the draw against MK Dons and the 'hilarious' treatment we gave their keeper a few seasons back.

Unfortunately I didn't see Martina so at this moment I am in no position to verify his favoured choice of footware in a hotel based situation. I will speak to my sources tomorrow in a bid to ascertain whether he is indeed a flip flocks kinda guy.

Midtjylland will adopt the same tactics as in the first leg, so we have to be canny and not give away any cheap free kicks to enable them 'fill the box' and whip those dangerous balls in. They were doing a version of the 'high press' in the first game and forcing us to go long, so Pelle will be important for us tonight.

It won't be a pretty game, but I think we are improving with each game so I am sure we can sneak a narrow victory.

2-1 (Pelle, Rodriguez) to Saints and a victory on away goals...

Midtjylland will adopt the same tactics as in the first leg, so we have to be canny and not give away any cheap free kicks to enable them 'fill the box' and whip those dangerous balls in. They were doing a version of the 'high press' in the first game and forcing us to go long, so Pelle will be important for us tonight.

It won't be a pretty game, but I think we are improving with each game so I am sure we can sneak a narrow victory.

2-1 (Pelle, Rodriguez) to Saints and a victory on away goals...

2-1 would be a straight victory, not on away goals.

(We drew the first leg.)

Not sure I agree with the "go direct" approach. Fine the odd ball up to Pelle but too often becomes predictable and easy to defend.

What happened to playing our game and beating them due to having superior technical players?

Pelle up top with Jay Rod, Long, and Mane behind him. Or even just Jay Rod and Long - plenty of movement and physicality to play direct. Needs must at this stage.

Pelle up top with Jay Rod' date=' Long, and Mane behind him. Or even just Jay Rod and Long - plenty of movement and physicality to play direct. Needs must at this stage.[/quote']

Its a whole 90mins though and we have to score maybe as few as 1 goal to win which is the same in all games.

I think our best chance is to just play well. We don't need to be overly direct or change our style to beat this team, we just need to play better than in the first leg.

Its a whole 90mins though and we have to score maybe as few as 1 goal to win which is the same in all games.

I think our best chance is to just play well. We don't need to be overly direct or change our style to beat this team, we just need to play better than in the first leg.

We are incredibly easy to play against at the moment though when the opposition get men behind the ball and we play it all in front of them. We need to create space by having an over the top threat - even if we don't go long all the time, it'll prevent the game being condensed into small spaces where players can't find enough room to operate (especially as our passing at the moment is rank awful).

I know what you are saying about in theory we should just play our game and it will come, but I don't think that is the best way to get a win tonight in these circumstances - not when away in Europe and we have to score. Our team is about confidence and momentum and when we don't have any the same players don't perform very well. It's night and day. That maybe why we went back to basics against Watford, and we should do the same tonight.

All that shows is Reed has travelled to Denmark; it doesn't even mean he'll be in the match day 18 (we'd take more than 18 players for an away trip), let alone the starting XI.

Really, thank you for pointing that out. You really are such a font of all knowledge. Here I was thinking that Twitter was our official team selection tool. :mcinnes:

we need to play Pelle Tadic Mane and Jay

If that fails players like Juanmi. If we hoof it like we did against watford we will go out.

I wouldn't. Whenever we play 4 attackers we struggle.

No need to do anything different than normal. We have options to change it too.

Romeu, Davis and JWP/Reed in midfield then a front three.

With a bit of luck we will be out of this competition later tonight and can concentrate on the PL and the Capital One Cup the competition just puts a strain on all English clubs which play in it

If we concentrate on the Capital One cup and win it does it gives us a place in the Europa League next season? If we concentrate on the PL and come sixth or even better do we get a place in the Europa League next season? Should we concentrate on the Europa League so that we do not do well in the Capital One Cup and the PL so we don't get a Europa League place next season. It is a dilemma for sure ...

Victor ill? Yes ok.

So with Victor sold that leaves us without Morgan, Victor or Cork from last season's epic centre midfield group. Oops.

Lets just see what happens! He's not playing tonight, but was awful in the first half last week so maybe not too bad of a thing.

Lets just see what happens! He's not playing tonight, but was awful in the first half last week so maybe not too bad of a thing.

Tbf we've looked quite pedestrian and the players a little disinterested in the last few games Victor as much as the others. Chucking Reed in might actually put a bit of energy into midfield as he looks to impress and could be a bit of a blessing in disguise.

Tbf we've looked quite pedestrian and the players a little disinterested in the last few games Victor as much as the others. Chucking Reed in might actually put a bit of energy into midfield as he looks to impress and could be a bit of a blessing in disguise.

But can we win with 10 men?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

-Stek-

Cedric - Fonte - Caulker - Targett

-- JWP -- Romeu --

Tadic ------ Mane ------ JRod

-Pelle-

I don't think Caulker is as defensively sound as Yoshida at present, but his aerial presence for attacking corners dignifies the defensive risk - he's looked like scoring in numerous games (which I feel adds credence to the suggestion that JWP's corner are indeed quality, it's just that we haven't been attacking the ball well enough - note, I'm aware that Davis has been primary corner taker thus far, i.e. if Caulker can attack a cross from Davis, he can attack a superior cross from JWP).

Long for JRod if it isn't working, with Tadic switching to the left.

Interesting that Koeman has said we will go more direct to Pelle. Their manager also thought that's when we were at our most dangerous and he will play a high line to counter that. Let's hope Mane is fit!

Jess Thorup keys to the central Jutland success

• FC Midtjylland should above all have the courage to stick with it when you have it. Thorup expect periods a large Southampton pressure and FCM must break it up, do not lose the ball quickly.

• Jess Thorup expects FC Midtjylland be up to score to progress, although it was 1-1 in England. Therefore, FC Midtjylland create more aggressively than we did in the first leg.

• FC Midtjylland will play a higher defensive line than in England. Thorup felt that Southampton was dangerous when they hit the ball directly to Pelle. If guests again choose the solution, they are forced to do it further down on the pitch.

http://jyllands-posten.dk/sport/ECE7968267/En-Southampton-skalp-kan-holde-FCM-profiler-p%C3%A5-heden/

By training before one of the biggest European games for FC Midtjylland's story was just doubt Erik Sviatchenko. Vice captain suffered a thigh injury against Esbjerg on weekends. But both he and Kristian Bak according Jess Thorup able to play tonight's match.

Doing a pre-match session about Saints and I will probably face the question about which Saints players to look out for. Does anyone have any input to which players would be most interesting to keep an eye out for from an opposition/neutral point of view?

Maybe he just isn't fit enough? Only just returned to training after injury hasn't he?

He's been in training galleries for at least a couple of weeks now. Fitness could be an issue still, but seems unlikely considering how much he seems to be features in these galleries pre-match. Just seems like he doesn't fit into Ronald's plans, yet why if that is the case is he training with what is a relatively small group of players? I don't know why, wish one of these so-called journos at a press conference would ask.