The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

Well when expectations are unrealistic they are likely to irk.

Did you seriously think we'd be unveiling some great striker within the first couple of days of the window?

You know how this transfer window usually works, right?

As has been posted already, we lost Austin a month ago and with the likelihood of him being out of action for a good few months, you would like to think that some activity behind the scenes might have taken place, may have done for all we know!! All I would say is that waiting for the last few days of a transfer window to get a deal over the line could possibly end up being counter productive in terms of league places, a potential cup final appearance and a feel good factor for the fans. I acknowledge that even if we did sign someone that this may not be either best value or the solution, but neither is sitting on your hands playing brinkmanship either!

if our management think recalling sam Gallagher from blackburn is the answer then we definitely don't have the right management

he would of been better of staying the full year at blackburn for the experience

Why? He is our player and he is playing well ( albeit at a lower level) if he is going to get a decent amount of game time I can't see how playing in our first team in the PL will be any worse for him than playing in a crap Blackburn team experience wise.

A friend who is a sunderland ST holder was talking to a local media hack at the weekend. According to this hack Crystal Palace, West ham And Saints have expressed an interest in defoe. Not sure how ITK this guy was but interesting that there is nothing in the mainstream media. Prob ****** but worth a mention as I would take him.

A friend who is a sunderland ST holder was talking to a local media hack at the weekend. According to this hack Crystal Palace, West ham And Saints have expressed an interest in defoe. Not sure how ITK this guy was but interesting that there is nothing in the mainstream media. Prob ****** but worth a mention as I would take him.

suggested this a number of weeks ago

the hipsters laughed saying we can do beter

IF we have recalled Gallagher, it shows the board know we need a striker and acknowledge the problem needs attention. It also shows they're unwilling to spend money to ensure we qualify for Europe again, making a mockery of appointing Puel for his European experience.

They're both just recycling a Sun story - either way, doesn't seem that the player wants to leave just yet.

More interestingly his wages (65K pw) are outside our budget if you believe the story.

Edited by shurlock

suggested this a number of weeks ago

the hipsters laughed saying we can do beter

I suggested it last season. Obviously natural goalscorer. Would help, but supply stlll constrained by system and rotation policy played by inept manager

There may be something in this. Sky Sports reporting West Ham have had a £6m bid turned down. It's 50% correct anyway

Imagine he will end up at Wolfsburg to replace Draxler.

IF we have recalled Gallagher, it shows the board know we need a striker and acknowledge the problem needs attention. It also shows they're unwilling to spend money to ensure we qualify for Europe again, making a mockery of appointing Puel for his European experience.

i agree we need a striker. One with a bit of physical presence would be good.

HOwever - how much money do we need to "ensure we qualify for europe again"? If we signed Costa im not sure we'd qualify myself. For a start he could get injured so to ensure it we need another one similar. Its all a bit unrealistic.

If its great to keep him there on loan then the assumption is thats because hes going to come back here at some point and do a job. May as well do it now while confidence is high and he will get game time if you ask me

No way we should sign Defoe. He has one, maybe two decent seasons left in him. He would be a waste of money.

The difference between finishing 7th and 17th can be as much as £15-20m a year the way that merit and facility fees are paid. Before you consider impact on commercial income too

just rewatching it now, absolute wizard, looks more AM that Bouf

AM would've fit the profile though. Remember, we were scouting for the diamond pre-season, I assume.

I started keeping tabs on him but he didn't seem to be cutting the mustard for Anderlecht.

No way we should sign Defoe. He has one, maybe two decent seasons left in him. He would be a waste of money.

More or less the sole reason Sunderland has avoided relegation the past two seasons. Can score from others work, and create a few himself.

Also better on penalties than anyone in our squad IMO.

Would happily see him swap their red and white stripes for our slightly different red and white stripes.