What's gone wrong?

Heisenberg

Debate a plenty about transfers (or lack of) during the summer and how that affected us

But a topic not being discussed is the form of those that have stayed.

Imho the below players are all performing worse than last season - is it tactics? new formation? Fitness? Something else?

:shakey: Fonte

:shakey: Bertrand

:shakey: Long

:shakey: Davis

:shakey: Cedric

:shakey: Forster

:shakey: even Højbjerg

Debate a plenty about transfers (or lack of) during the summer and how that affected us

Imho the below players are all performing worse than last season - is it tactics? new formation? Fitness? Something else?

Fonte's form is picking up after a 'head was turned' start to the season.

Bertrand has only just come back to fitness so needs time to get back to 100%

Long has been his pre-end of last season form self (great work rate, poor finishing), and has been injured.

Davis has been more in and out of the team, so his consistency has been hurt with less game time IMO.

Cedric started inconsistently, improved, then got injured.

Forster, not really sure how to explain his poor form. Just seems to be repeatedly caught cold whenever a shot isn't straight at him or a save requires him to dive out of his comfortable range.

Hojbjerg has been good when called upon in my view.

Edited by SaintSeb

I personally think it is the number of games (the frequency of them) is catching up with us

Thankfully, we play liverpool after an international break and not a european night. Equal distraction for both teams

I agree with you, it is not rocket science that physical tiredness leads directly to lapses in concentration. The fast pass and move technique that Puel employs requires 100% concentration all the time. The mind controls the body not the other way around. In extreme cases ball watching happens whilst players compute how to respond, it all happens in nano-seconds but becomes obvious to watchers with mis-placed passes, not being in exactly the right position to receive the ball, not timing jumps or tackles correctly lack of awareness of who's around you and so on.

The only remedy is rest and the lads don't get much of that with the long list of injuries that we seem to have had this season - which likely has come from players being over-stretched physically.

Have I been away and missed something? What's happened? We're better than last season, the quality of football is better than it was, and we have our youth academy back. I thought all was well?

Quite. It's just an attention seeing load of old BS from one of the original trolling cockends

I personally think it is the number of games (the frequency of them) is catching up with us

Thankfully, we play liverpool after an international break and not a european night. Equal distraction for both teams

Maybe maybe

But Romeu and VVD have been our best players and they have probably played the most football for us this season?

VVD 1,350 minutes

Romeu 1,265 minutes

----------

Fonte 1,080 minutes

Davis 999 minutes

Höjbjerg 862 minutes

Bertrand 528 minutes

Have I been away and missed something? What's happened? We're better than last season, the quality of football is better than it was, and we have our youth academy back. I thought all was well?

One bad result and an international break to stew on it = ***ts ahoy.

Oh shock horror, we lost a game of football, whatever will we do!?

we lost a game of football

It's not about the last game or even the last 2 or 3 - it's about the season so far

A season where we have won just 3 games all season in the league and players who were on top form last season now look a shade of the player they were.

Just trying to understand why

If you don't care - no worries have a good day :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeOnLwi9CtQ

Maybe maybe

But Romeu and VVD have been our best players and they have probably played the most football for us this season?

VVD 1,350 minutes

Romeu 1,265 minutes

----------

Fonte 1,080 minutes

Davis 999 minutes

Höjbjerg 862 minutes

Bertrand 528 minutes

That looks a bit different if you do minutes played in all competitions since the end of last season.

I do think that some will find the current tactics don't suit their style. Long in particular likes the ball played early and behind defenders, and that's certainly not the way we play at the moment. As others have said the his injury and loose finishing hasn't helped the situation either.

I find our football more entertaining than last year, but I do think the slower build up, possession based football is a contributory factor to the significantly lower number of goals scored. The loss of Mane has also left a big hole, although trying to replace a £35 million footballer on a budget is extremely difficult.

What's one wrong ? Nothing, very much, but there is going to be a transisition between the different styles of football of Koeman and Puel and it may be that the lower number of goals will remain, even if we still achieve a top ten finish.

Fonte's form is picking up after a 'head was turned' start to the season.

Bertrand has only just come back to fitness so needs time to get back to 100%

Long has been his pre-end of last season form self (great work rate, poor finishing), and has been injured.

Davis has been more in and out of the team, so his consistency has been hurt with less game time IMO.

Cedric started inconsistently, improved, then got injured.

Forster, not really sure how to explain his poor form. Just seems to be repeatedly caught cold whenever a shot isn't straight at him or a save requires him to dive out of his comfortable range.

Hojbjerg has been good when called upon in my view.

This FF is my only concern.

Les Reed is useless and doesn't know what he's doing

Puel is his yes man

Puel is boring

Something about net spend

WE haven't replaced Pelle or Mane

Something about no ambition

The diamond is sh*te

We didn't sign Haller/Bas Dost (insert any player no one had heard of six months ago who we were tenuously linked with in July or August and the failure to sign means we are screwed)

Redmond isn't a striker

Roduriguez career is over

You can't expect to sell your best players every summer and improve

Have I missed anything?

We are not set up for European football plus cups plus staying in the PL. Need to concentrate on the latter.

Well, currently we are in the top half of the Prem, have a good chance of progression to the Europa knock-out stages, and are still in the League Cup plus the Checkatrade. I think there are 2 things of slight concern, FF's form and a lack of goals, compared to chances made. I wonder if any of the coaching staff my have noticed those as well ?

At the exact time you were logging onto Saintsweb to start this latest thread of trolling bùllshít, I was standing at my local war memorial proudly wearing my medals and paying tribute to fallen comrades past and present on this Remembrance Sunday......Says it all really.

At the exact time you were logging onto Saintsweb to start this latest thread of trolling bùllshít, I was standing at my local war memorial proudly wearing my medals and paying tribute to fallen comrades past and present on this Remembrance Sunday......Says it all really.

Any pics?

i look forward to his attempt at a response to you post. well said sir.

Players form goes up and down that's just a fact that you somehow can't figure out, or had it just been a really slow Sunday morning for Mr Heisenberg?

Fraser Forster's form and the lack of goals which only seem to come when Charlie Austin is on the pitch are my only concerns. Also Romeu and VVD getting injured might be an issue but all teams have players that they would be concerned about getting injured. Other than that it's all gravy.

I don't agree with OP at all. We just beat Inter Milan, what a joy it is to be able to say that.

We do need something extra in attack but I thought the same last year. Pelle could be woefully inconsistent and if Mane wasn't scoring then we used to struggle. Long has his moments but he has never exactly been a clinical finisher, hopefully he will find form soon.

Redmond looks full of potential, Boufal just needs time to fit into the team and Austin is always a threat. We're fine.

Les Reed is useless and doesn't know what he's doing

Puel is his yes man

Puel is boring

Something about net spend

WE haven't replaced Pelle or Mane

Something about no ambition

The diamond is sh*te

We didn't sign Haller/Bas Dost (insert any player no one had heard of six months ago who we were tenuously linked with in July or August and the failure to sign means we are screwed)

Redmond isn't a striker

Roduriguez career is over

You can't expect to sell your best players every summer and improve

Have I missed anything?

There's law and order,

the aquaduct

and the wine.

• 1 month later...

Adding Tadic to the list in the hope it inspires a goal or two today or a couple of assists?

Thought he started the season brightly but 1 goal and 2 assists in 21 games (non in the league since September) is very poor

9 goals 14 assists last season (40 games)

The squad is unbalanced. Too many similar rather than complimentary players - Boufal/Tadic; a homogenous lightweight midfield; 3, even 4 misfiring fragile 'strikers', the list goes on.

Recruitment went awry since that backroom bloke was poached by Tottenham.

Yep we bought that awful centre back