Brutally honest, forget its me posting this - who is disappointed in our transfers ?

alpine_saint

The pre-season tour is almost over, we have made one critical signing, a RB.

Other areas of the team do not have enough strength-in-depth for a 50-match promotion campaign.

We dont even have a decent second GK at the moment, FFS.

If some of you are still not worried, you SHOULD BE.

Considering Pardew said at the end of last season our new signings would be made early, then i have to agree. We have lost two key squad players in Papa Waigo and Antonio and not replaced them, no cover for RL and no midfielder we are supposed to be in for. I hope the next 3 weeks throw up some plesant surprises.

Surprised rather than disappointed, I would have expected more signings by now. I will be very disappointed if we don't make another 3 (at least) after the pre-season tour. I suppose some of the Under-21's are good for cover though. Need another winger and midfielder. Not convinced "Doc" will remain injury free either, and even if we are planning to play with 1 up front then we just don't have a deep enough midfield to support it. Anyway I'm ranting. As I said surprised there has not been much movement yet but expect another 3 in before the season starts.

Other areas of the team do not have enough strength-in-depth for a 50-match promotion campaign.

Why SHOULD I be worried?

Give us your reasons and then we can comment.

List your reasons why we SHOULD be worried and then maybe we can comment.

I'm disappointed because I like the excitement of signing new players. However in terms of the season, I'm not panicking. We probably need one or two more players, and I'm sure we'll sign them. Then I expect we'll get a few loans in during the season to fill gaps as and when they appear. A league one club shouldn't have a massive squad.

Very disappointed. We've not replaced Antonio or Waigo who both contributed well last season. When you look at the transfer activity of some of the other teams in L1 it makes you realise that getting out of this league isn't going to be as easy as some people think.

Why would you sign either when Oxlade-Chamberlain looks an excellent prospect ? By all means come up with someone better than those 2 and make a case but neither were/are exactly world beaters.

Brutally honest ? Neither surprised or disappointed.

Besides I don't need to be told if I'm not worried I should be, did you suddenly decide that you could dictate how we all should feel Alpine ?

Christ sake.

I'm not worried because i trust the people in charge know what they are doing, they've demonstrated that throughout last season.

I'm confused by how many people that believe we need all these new players, why? We got rid of the dead wood over the summer, pard's did say the squad was too big - so we got the numbers down and we've so far added 2 quality additions to the full back slots.

We will sign more cover over the next few weeks, i promise you that - but it doesn't really matter if that's before the start of the season or not, because our ''first team'' is competitive and complete.

Why would you sign either when Oxlade-Chamberlain looks an excellent prospect ? By all means come up with someone better than those 2 and make a case but neither were/are exactly world beaters.

Brutally honest ? Neither surprised or disappointed.

Besides I don't need to be told if I'm not worried I should be, did you suddenly decide that you could dictate how we all should feel Alpine ?

Hillarious, considering the amount of hectoring and lecturing on here that certain people should not be so realistic....erm...negative...

Christ sake.

I'm not worried because i trust the people in charge know what they are doing, they've demonstrated that throughout last season.

I'm confused by how many people that believe we need all these new players, why? We got rid of the dead wood over the summer, pard's did say the squad was too big - so we got the numbers down and we've so far added 2 quality additions to the full back slots.

We will sign more cover over the next few weeks, i promise you that - but it doesn't really matter if that's before the start of the season or not, because our ''first team'' is competitive and complete.

I agree that our first XI is competitive (but not outstanding, it all falls flat if Schneiderlin has a bad hair day, is suspended or injured), but why you think no cover is OK when it takes 3 seconds to break a leg or snap a cruciate ligament, I will never know.

Considering Pardew said at the end of last season our new signings would be made early, then i have to agree. We have lost two key squad players in Papa Waigo and Antonio and not replaced them, no cover for RL and no midfielder we are supposed to be in for. I hope the next 3 weeks throw up some plesant surprises.

I am getting the feeling that AP thinks that Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain may well fit that role of impact sub. He is also getting a good long look at Lee Holmes. Maybe he is happy that some of the fringe players from last season are stepping up a level.

Plus, lets be honest, we have no idea what deals are in the pipeline. We know deals take several weeks to complete. We also know we never hear about them till the ink is dry. I would not be at all surprised to see 1 or 2 more faces before the start of the season, but thats about it, cos thats about all AP feels we need.

Forecast has sat on the bench for Spurs in the PL but is not good enough to sit on the bench for us in L1? Ok then....

It's funny how you can speak with sure confidence about his ability as it's certain you have never seen him play.

But then the same can be said for all of our players eh Manic D?

Christ sake.

S-Clarke, heres my thinking why we need "a few more players"

Centre backs......Fonte and Jaidi first choice but Seaborne and Martin are at absolute best average League One. Think Martin will be good though but isnt yet. So, ONE CENTRE-BACK required as good as F&J

Right Back....only Richardson available...Harding could do the odd game but not a long stint...ONE RIGHT BACK

Centre Mid.....Hammond and Morgan are good but IMHO we need a tough tackling ball winner...Wotton is not that...ok as fourth/fifth choice. No one else in the squad. ONE CENTRE MID

Striker.....Pardew is on record as saying we need someone similar to Lambert. OX-Cham will I suspect be used more up the right. Connolly it could be argued is injury prone! ONE STRIKER

Goalkeeper....Without Bart we only have Forecast...I honestly cant comment on his ability so we maybe need another GK

So I reckon we need at least 3 quality signings and maybe a gk and maybe a right winger.

potentially that is 7 signings over the summer.

Not worried yet I still think we will get some new players in but we are after quality players that will improve our squad.

Maybe some of the youngsters are going to be good enough to make the grade Martin, Chamberlin, McNeash Mills & Holmes should all have a part to play.

I do think we need at least 1 quality centre midfielder some pace in the team & cover for Lambo and i will be disappointed if we dont address that before the start of the season.

not worried, and can't forget that it's you posting this.

we have a solid starting 11, yes we need 1 or 2 more for the squad which dont have such a huge impact on the gelling front.

Oh and dont tell me when to start being worried.

The most important thing this summer was thinning the over fat squad, that's done; the two signings are very good and if young Oxlade'Chamberlian is going to get a look in that will encourage the rest that they have a chance and that buy buy buy is not the only way. Our Development facility is going to bring forward more of our own. Don't panic!

Sorry, but I think I gave my reasons in the OP.

No you didnt. as your too lazy to expand your thoughts ....why should we be worried right NOW?

If we make no more signings by the close of the window then yes, I will be very worried.

Transfers can take time and negotiation. I suspect we wont be the only club interested in our targets so patience is the virture.

I agree that our first XI is competitive (but not outstanding, it all falls flat if Schneiderlin has a bad hair day, is suspended or injured), but why you think no cover is OK when it takes 3 seconds to break a leg or snap a cruciate ligament, I will never know.

I'm not saying it's ok we have no cover alps, just that it's not critical that we have it in this second - the loan window is opening up until nov. and as i said, i still expect us to make moves before the end of this window anyway.

Little disappointed with the signings so far - which fan wouldn't want more players!

That said, we have a couple of players who look like they can step up and Lee Holmes will return from injury (fingers crossed). There is still plenty of time to fill a few gaps and I would much rather have quality signings over a quantity of signings.

Not worried yet I still think we will get some new players in but we are after quality players that will improve our squad.

Maybe some of the youngsters are going to be good enough to make the grade Martin, Chamberlin, McNeash Mills & Holmes should all have a part to play.

I do think we need at least 1 quality centre midfielder some pace in the team & cover for Lambo and i will be disappointed if we dont address that before the start of the season.

I must admit I was hoping for more signings by now. But you have probably hit the nail n the head there. I do think in general the team lacks pace at the moment. I was hoping we would sign Antonio obviously that has not happened so I am hoping they have someone better lined up to replace him. Also as you have suggested we do need cover for Lambert.

Pardew's track record with us shows he builds a squad not just a team. Papa and Antonio last season are great examples of that. Dickson covering / starting at LB or LM is proof again. Seabourne's signing last year when we already had 4 centre backs is proof again. I can't see any evidence to suggest that we won't have a strong squad before the start of the season. Just because we don't know what negotiations are beingconducted doesn't mean that there are none.

I reckon we have pretty much got our first 11 sorted for the opening game but as the OP said we do need cover in CM for when Morgan or Hammond aren't available and I think that more signings are on the way.

No need to panic yet (unless Richardson breaks a leg in tomorrow's friendly).

I agree, having lost Antonio and not having replaced them so far we lack different ideas for games where one approach doesnt work. If we were running out of steam in a game, then Antonio was brought on to mix it up a bit and give the opposition something to think about. We need a replacement for him, aswell as a good CM. For me, Hammond isn't consistently good enough for a side that is going to be challenging to win the league and I am worried that a key player like this hasn't been brought in early doors.

If nothing is done within the next 10 days I am going to start getting worried big style.

I'm not alarmed or annoyed... frustrated maybe but certainly not disappointed.

I'm positive that it's every managers intention to sign the players they want as soon as they can to give them adequate time to work with them pre season, surely that’s just common sense.

However, what can you do if the players you have highlighted are simply not available yet or have chosen to move to other clubs? We certainly don’t want to get into the habit of signing players "just for the sake of it"

I'm sure no one is more frustrated with the way its progressed thus far than pardew... I mean it’s not like he has to wait around for frees... he has money to spend.

The transfer market has been slow in all divisions up till this point, because of the world cup, and that does have a domino effect to the lower leagues, clubs are reluctant to release players until they have replacements and if we assume the majority of clubs are trying to sign players better than they already have, then no real movement will start until the big boys start selling players.

Not particularly worried.

The squad is infinitely stronger then it was at this point last year and therefore doesn't require a total overhaul. We have added some proper depth at LB/LM while also signing a proper RB. The only thing we are lacking is a bit of pace to impact the opposition but there is still time to remedy that.

I'm content.

S-Clarke, heres my thinking why we need "a few more players"

Centre backs......Fonte and Jaidi first choice but Seaborne and Martin are at absolute best average League One. Think Martin will be good though but isnt yet. So, ONE CENTRE-BACK required as good as F&J Don't believe that AP is looking for another CB. i think he rates Seabourne and martin more highly than you do.

Right Back....only Richardson available...Harding could do the odd game but not a long stint...ONE RIGHT BACK Agree that we need cover here and in Centre mid as described below. A better version of Lloyd James would be ideal.

Centre Mid.....Hammond and Morgan are good but IMHO we need a tough tackling ball winner...Wotton is not that...ok as fourth/fifth choice. No one else in the squad. ONE CENTRE MID

Striker.....Pardew is on record as saying we need someone similar to Lambert. OX-Cham will I suspect be used more up the right. Connolly it could be argued is injury prone! ONE STRIKER

Goalkeeper....Without Bart we only have Forecast...I honestly cant comment on his ability so we maybe need another GK

So I reckon we need at least 3 quality signings and maybe a gk and maybe a right winger.

potentially that is 7 signings over the summer.

Not decided whether its a winger or a forward but we need to get a player in with the pace to unsettle defenders. One of Papa of Antonio or someone very similar would work.

What we do not know is who we are talking to at present. Players for teams have only been back a short while. To deal with approach, permission, negotiation, agreement, signing takes time, particularly if you want the right type of player.

Remember also that we have a pretty good first team now. That means anyone coming in will likely be for cover only. You are going to find it difficult getting L1 quality if they are not going to go straight into the team. I suspect our signings will be later than anticipated because of this. Players will look at all options before committing to a particular contract or club.

When either of schnedlin or Hammond did nt play last season we were shockingly ordinary - if we were to be without either of them for a long period we would seriously struggle - Also in our starting 11 we have no pace - teams will probably camp in there own half against us and we will not have any variation in our play - i remember a number of games (Millwall away inparticular) when Antonio came on injected pace and transformed the game - he had strength, pace and a willingness to run at players and i dont see that in our side at the moment

so I agree we must strenghten if we want to win the league

Tbh, I'm neither surprised, no disappointed. There's still plenty of time left, until the new season, and I seem to remember that Rickie Lambert wasn't secured until one game had passed by, last time.

However, there has been a lot of investment in the club, mid season in the 1st team, the backroom staff, the infrastructure, the facilities, etc..., so the expectation is there. If Saints want to make sure, and blitz League One, this season, so that there is no doubt, then they'll have to strengthen before the transfer window closes.

I'm pretty pleased we've signed the best two full backs in the division - one who can also play wing/left midfield effectively as well.

I'm glad that these were achieved professionally & without hysterical rumour-mongering or any hint of panic - as have all our current regime signings.

I expect other signings to happen in the same manner...I'm pleased that we don't do signings for the sake of it any more & that when we do we sign quality.

Why on earth would I find anything to be disappointed about - unless I was looking for it?

Well Alpine did say 'disappointed' in the thread title,and I have to say I am disappointed we haven't signed Antonio, especially since Pardew said as the season ended that we were talking to Reading, which I at least took to mean we were signing him.

Beyond that, the main thing was to keep our star players which we've done. Not quite sure why we signed a LB when we already have such a good one and am relieved we finally signed a RB.

Overall nothing exciting, which I suppose is disapppointing in itself, but one new genuine first team attacking player signed in the near future would change that.

K.

I'm surprised at the moment because I have seen some teams around us snap up plenty of good players.

Huddersfield & Weds have done very well.

I'm still hoping for Stock & a target man (to sit on the bench no doubt, that's why we are struggling to get one IMHO as they want first team footy)

Also I believe AP will bring in another defender with a midfield leader that will have us jumping for joy.

Problem is I want this team to hit the Plymouth game running and not a situation where AP will be wondering what is his strong team.

I agree about the lack of cover and that it is important. To get close to guaranteeing promotion you need to look thinking you can win every game - to do this you need to know you can always put out a team that is better than the opposition.

2 things tho - I would say our 1st eleven is outstanding for this division.

How good can we expect back up to be in league 1? I doubt other teams have good players in their reserves?

What role does AP see Oxlade-Chamberlain or Holmes having next year?

I do think we will be seeing one or two good signings (perm or loan) before the end of this window

We should be ok for strikers but I agree about P&A. Perhaps the boss thinks that Alex O-C and Holmes can do the job.One is fast and the other can pin-point deliveries which a winger must be able to do. Antonio couldn't, though he had physical impact. Papa had the ability to speed dribble through tightly banked defenders (and scores goals) and I'd love that we still have that option from the bench.

Still hoping for a Danns-like signing.

I am getting the feeling that AP thinks that Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain may well fit that role of impact sub. He is also getting a good long look at Lee Holmes. Maybe he is happy that some of the fringe players from last season are stepping up a level.

Plus, lets be honest, we have no idea what deals are in the pipeline. We know deals take several weeks to complete. We also know we never hear about them till the ink is dry. I would not be at all surprised to see 1 or 2 more faces before the start of the season, but thats about it, cos thats about all AP feels we need.

Good summary of the position, in my view as well. We have existing players who can cover the roles Papa and Antonio played. If you read the OS accounts, Holmes is impressing and Oxo is a good prospect. And like you say, who knows what deals are in the pipeline. So, Alpine, NO, I'm not disappointed with the apparent lack of signings. All is in order.

I think everyone just needs to chill.

We have a 'team' that is good enough to win the league. No doubt whatsoever about that. We also have decent cover in a few positions (Connolly/Barnard; Martin/Jaidi/Seaborne; Harding/Dickson).

You are right, we need to fill in some depth gaps but I see no point in filling those gaps with players that arent going to be good enough in the long run. We've done that before, and the result was the dead wood clear out this summer. I suspect that Pardew probably has missed out on some targets; whilst we are an attractive club to join with plenty of money, we are still in League 1 which will put off a lot of players. If he has missed out on his preferred targets, it doesnt mean he should panic buy to just fill depth gaps.

Instead he would be far better off getting players in for the short term in the loan market to supplement what is already a very good starting eleven in this league. The loan market won't really get going until later in the pre-season when clubs begin to review who is and isn't going to be required for the season ahead.

My expectation is that we'll see maybe 1 more permanent signing before the start of the season, and maybe 3/4 season or half season loans to provide the backup that alpine is fretting over.