No Judas, Just Poyet - Sunderland Build Up

Lighthouse

Koeman: "No injuries to players reporting back from international duty"

Koeman: "Another 7 or 8 weeks before JRod will be back to full training"

Koeman: "There is no chance to move out of this club. They will have to wait for me" (re: managing the Dutch national side)

Edited by trousers

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29646873

Southampton did not reach their usual high standards when they lost to Tottenham last time out.

It was still a close enough game but, in terms of creating chances, it was probably the worst that Saints have played all season.

Sunderland, meanwhile, picked up their first league win of the season against Stoke and saw two of their strikers - Connor Wickham and Steven Fletcher get on the scoresheet.

That was a big boost for a Black Cats team that has been badly short of goals and the challenge now for manager Gus Poyet is to get other members of his team chipping in on a regular basis, because neither Wickham or Fletcher are 15-20 goals a season men.

He also needs to keep both front-men firing, but I am not sure either striker will find it so easy on Saturday.

Southampton are hard to break down and I think both sides will have to settle for a point.

Lawro's prediction: 1-1

Sunderland & Stoke and the prospect of rain sodden afternoons for both... and this is supposed to be fun? Cheer up it could be worse? It will be if they're both goal-less draws.

According to the Met Office, the rain should die out at about 1.00 and not start again till about 6.00, which should do nicely.

Care to post SFC's record with and without him in the side. I can then make a judgement in his effectiveness.

Based on Soccerbase, starts only, all competitions.

This season

Matches with V Wanyama

W3 D1 L2

As a %: 50-17-33

(bearing in mind two of those wins were in the League Cup)

Matches without V Wanyama

W3 D0 L0

As a %: 100.

2013/14:

Matches withV Wanyama

W9 D6 L5

As a %: 45-30-25

Matches withoutV Wanyama

W10 D5 L9

As a %:42-21-38

I always thought we tended to pick him in matches where we choose to be more defensive and therefore in the matches we're more likely to lose in the first place. However...

Wanyama last season (grey=did not play, bold = played).

Man City H A

Liverpool H A

Chelsea H A

Arsenal H A

Spurs H A

Everton H A

Man U H A

He played in 8 matches against the top 7 and missed 6 of them, hardly a massive factor when you consider the effect of the Lovren and Boruc injuries, for instance.

Edited by The9

Based on Soccerbase, starts only, all competitions.

This season

Matches with V Wanyama

W3 D1 L2

As a %: 50-17-33

(bearing in mind two of those wins were in the League Cup)

Matches without V Wanyama

W3 D0 L0

As a %: 100.

2013/14:

Matches withV Wanyama

W9 D6 L5

As a %: 45-30-25

Matches withoutV Wanyama

W10 D5 L9

As a %:42-21-38

I always thought we tended to pick him in matches where we choose to be more defensive and therefore in the matches we're more likely to lose in the first place. However...

Wanyama last season (grey=did not play, bold = played).

Man City H A

Liverpool H A

Chelsea H A

Arsenal H A

Spurs H A

Everton H A

Man U H A

He played in 8 matches against the top 7 and missed 6 of them, hardly a massive factor when you consider the effect of the Lovren and Boruc injuries, for instance.

At least 4 of those matches he wasn't picked, he was injured.

Hate playing Sunderland in weather like this. Sh*t*e!

One of the best games in my memory against the (they also called themselves Geordies back then) Mackems was at the Dell around '77 in conditions just like this, p*ssed down the entire match. Won 4-2, a second division game on MOTD and a lively day in the rain on the Archers terraces.

If you say so but this season VW has started 4 out of 7 and we've lost 2 of those and drew one other. In fact I think we've only won 1 game that he's started this season.

Lacks poise and control in my view, slows us down.

From this- http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?50379-Wanyama-stats#.VEIc88twav0

"Looking at games where he played more than 45 mins (which actually takes out 3-0 victory at Fulham so could be harsh on him). He played almost exactly half the season.

Played 17, for 22, against 6, points 33.

Over season, for 49, against 13, points 74."

I saw Wanyama / Scneiderlin as by far our first choice partnership last season. Cork as good back up.

However, this season, cork has improved considerably and we play a less rigid defensive two, so Cork is less of just back up. I would choose Wanyama to start as often stops the other team single handedly leaving others to attack, but not disappointed at all if was Cork.

Such is our quality in depth now I'm happy any combination from Tadic, Long, Davis, Cork, Mane behind Pelle based on form, fitness and Koeman's tactics.

Davis adds a lot, plays well most games, Cork a bit less so but very good player..but as a spectator Tadic/Long/Mane is the most exciting to watch combination.

I would go for (obvious back 5) schneiderlin, Wanyama, Tadic, Davis, Mane, pelle with long and Cork likely to be used in 2nd half.

Sunderland are 13/2 to win. £15 on that just in case we don't pick anything up.

Most likely result is a low scoring or goalless draw, Sundrrland can defend and sit back well, and we have historically struggled to break down teams like this.

Same here, way overpriced really as it wouldn't be a massive shock, we know what we're like against Sunderland. Think we might have to settle for a tired performance. 1-1 draw