Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 261

Thread: Eric Black named in Telegraph investigation

  1. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Berkshire Saint View Post
    Saw him walk past the players in the tunnel before kick off.

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Did he have anything in his hand?

  2. #52

    Default

    Shouldn't be difficult to find anyone else dodgy in football. Who else has Scott McGarvey attached himself to?

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S-Clarke View Post
    Unless clubs learn how to mind-read, there's not much you can do about stuff like this. He knew people, he's made recommendations, he's incredibly stupid and naive. and he's out of a job.
    The reporters didn't need to mind read. We can't criticise the club too much without knowing what reputation Black had on the inside track, but one suspects it wasn't squeaky clean.

    Quote Originally Posted by Katalinic View Post
    You can never be 100% in the vetting process, but our reaction to it will really say where we stand. He will be gone tomorrow.
    Indeed.

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wherever I wanna be...
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris27687 View Post
    So we need a new French speaking assistant manager - any ideas?

    Chris Waddle?
    Hoddle. The obvious choice.

  5. #55

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    3,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris27687 View Post
    So we need a new French speaking assistant manager - any ideas?
    Our French speaking ex centre back who looks after the under 23's will step up imo. He's been more closely involved with the first team set up so should be seamless.

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,800

    Default

    Serial relegation specialist, crook and part time translator - available for interviews shortly.

  7. #57

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    10,605

    Default

    Our latest #football4sale allegations concern Eric Black, the assistant manager at Southampton FC


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenridge View Post
    Anyone notice if he was in the dugout today?
    Yup


  9. #59

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On the frontline in Locks Heath
    Posts
    6,895

    Default

    Get shot of the dirt - if found guilty of course.

  10. #60

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    10,605

    Default

    That was latest Twitter


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenridge View Post
    Did he have anything in his hand?
    A packed bag and a P45

  12. Default

    One thing that is interesting is that it was his long time friend / agent who set it up. Makes you wonder what they had on the agent!

    Shame no one gives a **** about agents and they have to make it about club employees to get a scoop.

  13. #63

    Default

    Steve Bruce ain't going to be the England manager any time soon, is he?

  14. #64

    Default

    It looks like I'm in the minority here but I feel a bit sorry for him , I know it's wrong and dodgy, but still I also know I've spouted a bit of BS after a couple of drinks trying to impress people.

  15. #65

    Default

    was in the dug outs today, so sacked in the morning then, good riddance IMO, why'd we go in for him anyway? clearly not for his impressive coaching credentials, aren't there any better bilingual coaches out there?

  16. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris27687 View Post
    One thing that is interesting is that it was his long time friend / agent who set it up. Makes you wonder what they had on the agent!

    Shame no one gives a **** about agents and they have to make it about club employees to get a scoop.
    That guy must want the ground to swallow him up. If the reporters hadn't fooled him, they wouldn't have got Allardyce or Black.

  17. #67

    Default

    Can I get something straight here, is this Scott mcgarvy in the know about the telegraph insider, cups if he did know he has big time crapped on people he's known in football for many a year.

  18. #68

    Default

    Hardly earth shattering revelations. Personally I'd have no problem if he stays on.

  19. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintoaks View Post
    Can I get something straight here, is this Scott mcgarvy in the know about the telegraph insider, cups if he did know he has big time crapped on people he's known in football for many a year.
    Nope, he didn't know they were reporters.

  20. #70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintoaks View Post
    Can I get something straight here, is this Scott mcgarvy in the know about the telegraph insider, cups if he did know he has big time crapped on people he's known in football for many a year.
    Reading it through it looks like he's a patsy stitched up by the Telegraph - the paper seem to have used mates of high profile managers to get to them rather than just go direct. It makes sense as an effective sting technique but there's more than a whiff of entrapment going on. Still, he's been busted and he'll be gone by teatime.

  21. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK View Post
    It looks like I'm in the minority here but I feel a bit sorry for him , I know it's wrong and dodgy, but still I also know I've spouted a bit of BS after a couple of drinks trying to impress people.
    Probably better to try and impress people by being on the straight and narrow. If I had a meeting with someone and they bragged how they could bribe people (or buy them for a few pieces of silver) then I really wouldn't be impressed. Maybe its normal in football, but not in my life it isn't.

  22. #72

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    10,605

    Default

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-to-bribe-low/


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    Probably better to try and impress people by being on the straight and narrow. If I had a meeting with someone and they bragged how they could bribe people (or buy them for a few pieces of silver) then I really wouldn't be impressed. Maybe its normal in football, but not in my life it isn't.
    People say and do stupid things , I suppose you should be congratulated that you don't - still expect him to be sacked ,which would look like a good decision,doesn't stop me feeling sorry for him though.

  24. #74

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    3,929

    Default

    Here's the full excerpt from Ralph's interview the other day on the Sam Allardyce business:

    "Oh my God. I have to tell you, really, absolutely shocked and shuddered. Our whole board is shocked and upset by it. Multiple messages through the day yesterday and this morning. We've been a club that's been driving, wanting to get control of the evolving agent world around us, and we believe we're going to have ears now. Southampton is built on a completely honest and open culture and on values. The reason I took the job was the unbelievable value structure and foundation of our owner, Katharina Liebherr. ... That's why I embraced this, was to be able to lead and be the de facto owner of an organization where it was driven by culture. So we're extremely upset by this. We see it as a shocking evolution that -- I wouldn't say we're so na´ve to believe that this didn't exist, but we did think it wasn't part of our English football culture. We're going to use this, for sure, as a club, to fight for change and to fight for more regulation. We are all for regulation, and we are one of the most disciplined clubs in English football in terms of the way we deal with agents and youth academy players. Staying within the rules is something we really -- everything we do is based on that. We will react, for sure. It's going to become a major thing for me when I get back. Absolutely top of the agenda."

  25. #75

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Grinding, not spinning up Alpe d'Huez
    Posts
    1,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Albert View Post
    Here's the full excerpt from Ralph's interview the other day on the Sam Allardyce business:

    "Oh my God. I have to tell you, really, absolutely shocked and shuddered. Our whole board is shocked and upset by it. Multiple messages through the day yesterday and this morning. We've been a club that's been driving, wanting to get control of the evolving agent world around us, and we believe we're going to have ears now. Southampton is built on a completely honest and open culture and on values. The reason I took the job was the unbelievable value structure and foundation of our owner, Katharina Liebherr. ... That's why I embraced this, was to be able to lead and be the de facto owner of an organization where it was driven by culture. So we're extremely upset by this. We see it as a shocking evolution that -- I wouldn't say we're so na´ve to believe that this didn't exist, but we did think it wasn't part of our English football culture. We're going to use this, for sure, as a club, to fight for change and to fight for more regulation. We are all for regulation, and we are one of the most disciplined clubs in English football in terms of the way we deal with agents and youth academy players. Staying within the rules is something we really -- everything we do is based on that. We will react, for sure. It's going to become a major thing for me when I get back. Absolutely top of the agenda."
    Black will be lucky to escape with a public burning!

  26. #76

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Berkshire/London
    Posts
    1,017

    Default

    What's Thierry Henry up to?

  27. #77

    Default

    I think Les Reed is going to take some flack from the owner and the Chaiman because he must have appointed Black and they would rely on him for inside knowledge about someone involved in English football and for the due diligence prior to appointment. This may well reflect badly on him.

    It is also disappointing that Black must have known for a few days that he had been set up by the Telegraph and the fact the club didn't find an excuse to leave him in England today would suggest to me that he failed to be upfront and warn Les Reed what was going down. If Black had been upfront with the club it may have also stopped Ralph doing his 'we're white than white' interview yesterday which is now already being used to embarrass the club.

  28. #78

    Default

    e as to go. Also free with info regarding a young player at Charlton we may have bee watching for our club.
    There was I thinking that we would be clear and waiting for Rosie the dog to turn up, but we get Blackie the Scotty

  29. #79

    Default

    Not sure how you can defend him really. He knew what he was doing when he decided to meet up. It was not as if they just bumped into each other. He went there with the intention of doing something. Talking about how to bribe officials was totally stupid. Then indicating to take a couple of grand after it was set up sounds like a bung to me. The point is if he was caught doing that what else has been up to? Has to go no excuses.

  30. #80

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    3,929

    Default

    Ralph is trying to get Team Europe ready to play the best hockey team in the world right now, with puck drop in a few hours. I feel sorry for him with this Black business, particularly because I think that integrity is something that he values above most other things.

    I am not 100% sure on his role at Saints but I assumed that he is something akin to Katharina's surrogate at the club. His comments about integrity a few days ago have really painted him into a corner. That being said, as Chairman of the club, he really needs to be on hand to deal with nonsense like this instead of coaching at a pre-season hockey tournament. Or perhaps he could just fire Black by Skype. It's been done before...

  31. #81

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kings Worthy
    Posts
    20,166
    Blog Entries
    34

    Default

    Get him out.

  32. #82

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sussex - previously New Milton & Kingsclere
    Posts
    3,797

    Default

    If Eric Black uses the Allardyce defence - that it was entrapment and he wouldn't have demonstrated a willingness to break the rules if he'd known he was being filmed, isn't likely to get much sympathy. It's rather like saying you wouldn't have robbed a corner shop if you'd known it had CCTV.

    I don't think we can assume this will have no adverse effect on the club or the team. Eric is bound to be given an opportunity to defend himself but but the timing is very unfortunate when the team is in such a busy period of games. At the very least it is a distraction for Les Reed and Claude Puel which they will want to be over, one way or the other, as quickly as possible.

    On the broader issue, you could argue that The Telegraph is doing the FA's job for them. We shouldn't have to rely on newspapers to try to clean up the game but the governance of football in England is fragmented between the FA, the Premier League and the EFL. The three bodies have issued a joint statement this evening, which some might say is arse-covering, but the very fact that it is a joint statement shows that no one organisation is in control.

  33. #83

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Maybe we will look to replace him with another French speaker like Graham Rix. Somebody clean and upstanding.

  34. #84

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,727

    Default

    He will be sacked. No reflection on the club IMO he has only been an employee for a few months and he certainly wasn't doing this with the clubs blessing.

  35. #85

    Default

    Joey Barton

    Speaks good French *tick
    Available *tick
    Respected *tick
    Ready *tick
    Willing *tick
    Guranteed to improve under Puel *tick
    Can double up as player *tick


    Seems a no brainer

  36. #86

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Joey Barton

    Speaks good French *tick
    Available *tick
    Respected *tick
    Ready *tick
    Willing *tick
    Guranteed to improve under Puel *tick
    Can double up as player *tick


    Seems a no brainer
    being investigated for illegal betting* cross

    close but no cigar....

  37. #87

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    3,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Joey Barton

    Speaks good French *tick
    Available *tick
    Respected *tick
    Ready *tick
    Willing *tick
    Guranteed to improve under Puel *tick
    Can double up as player *tick


    Seems a no brainer
    Minor issue that he's a loon who's under contract elsewhere and the transfer window is shut.

  38. #88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Minor issue that he's a loon who's under contract elsewhere and the transfer window is shut.
    Eric Black could consult us on loopholes?

    It's possible that you could sign him (Joey) as assistant manager and later (few days) register him as a player.

    Eric will know the steps to take so we should ask him before sacking him

  39. Default

    If everyone who gets maned is going to be sacked, then AFAIK, there will be 4 PL clubs looking for a new manager, 2 old dinosaurs finally getting his comeuppance and one who hasn't managed yet.

  40. #90

    Default

    Henry is assisting in belgium

  41. #91

    Default

    Idiot his record before he came was dodgy - a very strange appointment. Straight out of the Black Box it would appear!
    T.w.a.t
    Now sod of back where you came from.

  42. #92

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Meon Valley
    Posts
    2,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sifter View Post
    Henry is assisting in belgium
    We don't have games to play in the international breaks he can do both!

  43. #93

    Default

    Wait a minute, we are employing an assistant manager who lives 140 miles away....... Wtf is that about?????
    If the bloke cannot be arsed to move here and commit to the job then he should not be here anyway.....
    I find this type of strategy in employing an important manager baffling....
    In fact it cannot work - end of!
    Get rid..... The bloke must be sacked........oh dear stupid guy...Well done the Telegraph for exposing the bent people in the game...

  44. #94

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    upthecreekwithoutapaddle
    Posts
    6,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saint si View Post
    I hear Sammy Lee might be looking for work?
    Good call

  45. #95

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire
    Posts
    1,742

    Default

    I just can't understand how rotten and corrupt some people seem to be. Call me a soft old leftie with his head in the clouds if you like but I wonder whether this is just the tip of a very rotten iceberg. It's becoming difficult to believe that almost everyone in football isn't on the make.

  46. #96

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cusp of a wave
    Posts
    19,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by obelisk View Post
    I wonder whether this is just the tip of a very rotten iceberg. It's becoming difficult to believe that almost everyone in football isn't on the make.
    Can icebergs be rotten? - unless they're lettuce. "This is just the tip of a very rotten lettuce" doesn't have the same ring to it though.

    I didn't rate Black and would have preferred we kept Sammy Lee - but having said that what he did was fairly minor - advising who could be approached about promising players. No tapping up. Against the rules but not heinous.

  47. #97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Joey Barton

    Speaks good French *tick
    Available *tick
    Respected *tick
    Ready *tick
    Willing *tick
    Guranteed to improve under Puel *tick
    Can double up as player *tick


    Seems a no brainer
    I think 'no brainier' is a perfect description of Joey Barton.

  48. #98

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    He met the Telegraph reporter on 2nd September 2016, when he was employed by Saints.

    He advised them how to bribe lower league staff. If he is in trouble for this I doubt it'll impact on Saints apart from needing to hire a new assistant manager.
    Dave Watson is already here and rarin' to go.

  49. #99

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Albert View Post
    Ralph is trying to get Team Europe ready to play the best hockey team in the world right now, with puck drop in a few hours. I feel sorry for him with this Black business, particularly because I think that integrity is something that he values above most other things.

    I am not 100% sure on his role at Saints but I assumed that he is something akin to Katharina's surrogate at the club. His comments about integrity a few days ago have really painted him into a corner. That being said, as Chairman of the club, he really needs to be on hand to deal with nonsense like this instead of coaching at a pre-season hockey tournament. Or perhaps he could just fire Black by Skype. It's been done before...
    Black works for Les Reed not Ralph Kreugar, it's up to Les now but he's in Israel at the moment.

  50. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris27687 View Post
    He is a Fluent French speaker - it will make a difference.
    Yeah, barely any of them about.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •