Redmond

Saints foreva

why do we continue to play a completely right footed player on the left wing?

Every time he beats the full back, which he does quite often, he has to check back and cross with his right, which is often blocked. I know there is the possibility of coming inside and shooting on his stronger foot, but that area is congested and opponents can quickly see he has no left foot (he doesn't even throw in the odd left foot cross to keep the full back honest) so are already there waiting. Get him on the right wing and simplify his game - beat man cross, beat man cross etc..

He was playing in front of me in the Itchen on Thursday and had the beating of the full back, and I was shouting (pointlessly but in that stress relieving fan's way:-) ) to cross with his left whilst the defenders were still back-peddling or out of position slightly. I think he crossed once with his left, and for a professional player it really isn't good enough - even Sunday players can cross with their weak foot. He is working hard and he had a great run in the first half (think he won a corner?) but his decision making is appalling and I agree with your points.

Somebody else mentioned that Sims is more unpredictable and he seems an intelligent player, and being two-footed I think he'll develop more with experience, but at the moment Redmond is just frustrating. He isn't hiding though, for all his predictability, and that is a good sign.

• 2 months later...
Did well today

Apart from his spat with Bertrand in the second half, that went on for far too long during a game.

Don't know what it was over or who started it but they need to sort that out. Show some passion out there but grow up lads your on the same team.

Been very very good recently.

It seems he has finally learnt, which most were saying, he needs to use his pace and run at defenders.

Seems he is a confidence player to me and he seems to be full of it at the moment.

Apart from his spat with Bertrand in the second half, that went on for far too long during a game.

Don't know what it was over or who started it but they need to sort that out. Show some passion out there but grow up lads your on the same team.

It was because Redmond laid ball for Bertrand who wasn't running so just went out of play. Redmond has always been mouthy. Nothing really wrong with that.

It wouldn't surprise me to see both Redmond and JWP called up to the England squad.

Seriously? Neither of those have been in form for long enough they've only just started to play well the last four or five games!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Seriously? Neither of those have been in form for long enough they've only just started to play well the last four or five games!

Not true, certainly with Redmond, the only people too stupid to see how good he is are Saints fans. The rest of the football community rate has m very highly. His work rate is unbelievable, now he has added confidence to his came and we are seeing more end product. If people actually put their pitchforks down long enough to watch him properly they would realise he is going to be a top player.

As for JWP, also rated highly by everyone except Saints fans. I'm told Man Utd are looking at him closely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not true, certainly with Redmond, the only people too stupid to see how good he is are Saints fans. The rest of the football community rate has m very highly. His work rate is unbelievable, now he has added confidence to his came and we are seeing more end product. If people actually put their pitchforks down long enough to watch him properly they would realise he is going to be a top player.

As for JWP, also rated highly by everyone except Saints fans. I'm told Man Utd are looking at him closely.

Told by who, may I ask?

With this Redmond for England, who would he replace? I don't watch England too much so no idea who is in the team. Having said that I do know Sterling is on the right, and is a similar type player who I can't imagine Redmond shifting.

With this Redmond for England, who would he replace? I don't watch England too much so no idea who is in the team. Having said that I do know Sterling is on the right, and is a similar type player who I can't imagine Redmond shifting.

does he need to replace anyone to be called up?

If you're worried, watch Redmond's post-match video interview on the Saints OS. He talks about his on pitch relationship with Bertrand and he clearly has a lot of respect for him and enjoys their partnership down the left side.

The last squad had world beaters like Jesse Lingard, Michail Antonio and Rashford. Plus players like Andros Townsend have been around the squad.

If he continues his current form, Nathan Redmond has all the ability to be as disappointingly poor for England as much as any of those players.

And spurs

Totally this, the stick Redman has got from out supporters this season has been disgraceful at times and the lack of patience they have displayed to a young player is pathetic. I was in the Northam for a game and the things people were shouting at him was embarrassing.

Yes, seriously. Personally I think both players still have a lot to prove, Redmond's finishing for instance. I'm not necessarily saying they should be picked but it would not surprise me if they were. Southgate knows them both very well from the Under 21's.

That's not what he said after the match was it, he said how well he and Ryan get on with all their banter and support for each other.

Yes, seriously. Personally I think both players still have a lot to prove, Redmond's finishing for instance. I'm not necessarily saying they should be picked but it would not surprise me if they were. Southgate knows them both very well from the Under 21's.

finishing is a skill that can be applied to almost everyone bar the top 15 world strikers.

That's not what he said after the match was it, he said how well he and Ryan get on with all their banter and support for each other.

Well I wasn't commenting on an interview after the game was I. The 2 of them had a row during the game so I guess their understanding isn't quite as great as the interview says.

Anyway I was just pointing out they were both a bit childish and that it wasn't really necessary.

The last squad had world beaters like Jesse Lingard, Michail Antonio and Rashford. Plus players like Andros Townsend have been around the squad.

If he continues his current form, Nathan Redmond has all the ability to be as disappointingly poor for England as much as any of those players.

Redmond's in with a chance of a cap but I wouldn't have him over Antonio or Rashford if I were naming a squad tomorrow. Expect he'll put himself in strong contention over the rest of the season though, even if it's just for a run-out at a Wembley friendly.

Kane up top redmond left , Alli in the middle and Sterling on the Right ?

The changes Puel has made to our style has definitely helped him.

Watching his touches against Watford his first thought seemed to be get forward / attack. Where in previous games its been sideways and backwards.

Playing again (regularly) in his actual position has helped too. The CF experiment didnt work

Redmond's in with a chance of a cap but I wouldn't have him over Antonio or Rashford if I were naming a squad tomorrow. Expect he'll put himself in strong contention over the rest of the season though, even if it's just for a run-out at a Wembley friendly.

Antonio better than Redmond? No chance.

The think I like about him on the left is that he uses his right foot to attack and run directly into the box with Bertrand overlapping out wide, compared to say when Dusan is played on the 'wrong' side and generally just sticks to the touchline and does a choreographed check back onto his left foot to cross and allow the oppo to get in position.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I found him very frustrating on the left earlier in the season (particular around late November/December) where I found he'd get to the penalty area and cut back onto his right with no real thought and then waste possession. He now seems to be coming inside a lot earlier, presenting himself with a lot more options. A huge improvement in the last month or so, as well as JWP.

Good observation, he has been drifting infield earlier. I was interested to hear on his post match interview that he was given more freedom wrt position. The grief he was getting earlier in the season was to be frank shocking. Especially seeing as Boufal seems to get a free pass. As far as I can see Redmond cost less and has more impact. So far i'm disappointed with Boufals output...but I suppose everybody is a sucker for a little trick here and there?

I found him very frustrating on the left earlier in the season (particular around late November/December) where I found he'd get to the penalty area and cut back onto his right with no real thought and then waste possession. He now seems to be coming inside a lot earlier, presenting himself with a lot more options. A huge improvement in the last month or so, as well as JWP.

Exactly. I'd still like to see him drive at the defenders a bit quicker, but he's definitely a lot better in that regard than earlier in the season. I don't mind him cutting in but would also be nice if he could go outside and whip a cross in with his left.

Squad perhaps soon, team, not unless there are injuries. Too many inconsistent wingers with a bit of pace get England caps and either drift away or we rotate them and never build a team.

Southgate would be crazy not to just copy Spurs attack and substitute Erikson for Lallana.

Welcome back to the board, haven't seen you on here for a while!

Good observation, he has been drifting infield earlier. I was interested to hear on his post match interview that he was given more freedom wrt position. The grief he was getting earlier in the season was to be frank shocking. Especially seeing as Boufal seems to get a free pass. As far as I can see Redmond cost less and has more impact. So far i'm disappointed with Boufals output...but I suppose everybody is a sucker for a little trick here and there?

I am very happy to be wrong about Redmond but I think we need a longer period of assessment. He's been very good over the last 3-4 games but he was bloody dreadful around November/December time with the pinnacle of that being the Be'er Sheva and Sparta Prague performances where he was absolutely woeful.

As for Boufal 'getting a free pass' that's a bit unfair bordering on complete BS. For comparison purposes here's their relative stats:

Boufal has made 10 apps in all comps, scoring 2 and assisting 1

Redmond has made 30 apps in all comps scoring 6 and assisting 1.

He's hardly killing Boufal in the stats department and had it been for some more movement up front (especially against Palace where Boufal was all over them for about 30 mins) and not having 3 layoffs due to injury I am sure he would have had a lot more. I am all for hoping that Redmonds great run continues but I am hoping to see a lot more of a fully fit Boufal too and gladly giving him the time (a free pass if you will) to show what he can do.

I am very happy to be wrong about Redmond but I think we need a longer period of assessment. He's been very good over the last 3-4 games but he was bloody dreadful around November/December time with the pinnacle of that being the Be'er Sheva and Sparta Prague performances where he was absolutely woeful.

As for Boufal 'getting a free pass' that's a bit unfair bordering on complete BS. For comparison purposes here's their relative stats:

Boufal has made 10 apps in all comps, scoring 2 and assisting 1

Redmond has made 30 apps in all comps scoring 6 and assisting 1.

He's hardly killing Boufal in the stats department and had it been for some more movement up front (especially against Palace where Boufal was all over them for about 30 mins) and not having 3 layoffs due to injury I am sure he would have had a lot more. I am all for hoping that Redmonds great run continues but I am hoping to see a lot more of a fully fit Boufal too and gladly giving him the time (a free pass if you will) to show what he can do.

all this assist stuff is a little misleading, I suspect Redmond has been a major part in the build up to goals. He is developing fast and is at least shooting from range, ok they are not coming off at present but....

Redmond at the moment is the better out of him and Boufal. Boufal probably more natural talent but Redmond far more affective.

Wonder if we'll see Boufal push on next year, been a poor signing so far.

I think he's done more than we'd have expected him to have, in the time he's been on the pitch when not injured.

Redmond at the moment is the better out of him and Boufal. Boufal probably more natural talent but Redmond far more affective.

Wonder if we'll see Boufal push on next year, been a poor signing so far.

Have a look at Boufal's involvement in Redmond's second and then say he was a poor signing. The guy is class, just needs a consistent run of games.

all this assist stuff is a little misleading, I suspect Redmond has been a major part in the build up to goals. He is developing fast and is at least shooting from range, ok they are not coming off at present but....

Well it isn't misleading is it. And you can do a number of things like successful dribbles, pass % etc etc etc to your hearts content and the stats still come out relatively similar. I agree, it isn't the be all and end all but to write off a guy who has a total of 10 apps in the prem when he quite clearly has the talent is well, odd. We don't appreciate skillful players here much do we.

Have a look at Boufal's involvement in Redmond's second and then say he was a poor signing. The guy is class, just needs a consistent run of games.

**** me its Gaston MK2

He's been really disappointing, no excuses , he needs to toughen up and start producing. He has not looked "class" to me YET.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

**** me its Gaston MK2

He's been really disappointing, no excuses , he needs to toughen up and start producing. He has not looked "class" to me YET.

Boufal clearly has unbelievable talent or 'class' if that is what is meant by that term. Only in glimpses so far though. When he came on against Swansea he looked incredible.

Far too soon to write off but that won't stop many. Come to think of it who of the flare type players haven't been written off? Mane and Redmond were.

Edited by whelk

Dare we suggest that with less games and more time on the training pitch Puel's coaching is starting to have an affect ...or is that a step to far