Redmond

Saints foreva

and how redmond has improved. he will do well to equal the goals he got last season

plenty of Norwich fans didnt particularly rate him

he should be a squad player, like McQueen or Sims. but he isnt

I agree with the bottom part of what you are saying - I just don't think he warranted a thread of his own moaning about him.

He's a decent squad player that is getting overused currently, because Long and Rodriguez are in equally poor form and Tadic has been unavailable, so I expect he would have been dropped if that wasn't the case.

I don't really get all the stick Redmond gets. He has probably been a bit better for us than he was for Norwich although has dipped of late.

What were people actually expecting? The only competition we had for him was from Stoke remember.

He is a solid young player who has some good attributes and technical ability, is flexible and has potential to get better.

Mane started well, had some bad spells, got immensely slagged off on here, finished well and people were crying in their beer when he left. Redmond has started okay and will get better. He's getting slagged off now and those same people people will be crying in their beer when he leaves.

Even so he set up at least 2 chances yesterday , he's not as bad as people are saying on here (IMHO)

I think he is really poor at this level. In one game a couple of years ago Tadic provided nearly as many goals and assists in the 8 goal drubbing of Sunderland that Redmond has contributed in all the games he has played for us so far? That's how he must be judged.

Did you not see the reactions of some of his team mates yesterday? He was getting a right ear bashing from Cedric and one or two others for wasting chances when given through balls on a plate. If his team mates are not happy with how he has performed why should fans be?

Are we re-activating #ZieychWatch

Mate me and you could of saved this club some money with our scouting of the eredevise, I was on about Winnie (now at liverpool) instead of clasie the previous season and Ziyech would of been a steal at 11m Euro's this season (cheaper than redmond).

Would loved to have the option of Ziyech/Redmond one side and Tadic/Boufal the other, we would of just needed another goal scoring CF with Charlie

Mate me and you could of saved this club some money with our scouting of the eredevise, I was on about Winnie (now at liverpool) instead of clasie the previous season and Ziyech would of been a steal at 11m Euro's this season (cheaper than redmond).

Would loved to have the option of Ziyech/Redmond one side and Tadic/Boufal the other, we would of just needed another goal scoring CF with Charlie

I almost felt guilty for championing Ziyech with you as it seemed so obvious.

I'm still looking forward to seeing Boufal / Tadic in tandem.

If he was the finished article, and as good as we want him to be, he would have signed for one of the big boys. Let's face it, he's going to be inconsistent and incredibly frustrating at times. We just dont want to get to the point where we are relying on him to create to help us win.

Fortunately we'll have Tadic back soon, Boufal is starting to show us what he is capable of, and Sims looks very lively and impressive. Surely the first choice "front 3" is Boufal/Austin/Tadic...?!

If he was the finished article, and as good as we want him to be, he would have signed for one of the big boys. Let's face it, he's going to be inconsistent and incredibly frustrating at times. We just dont want to get to the point where we are relying on him to create to help us win.

Fortunately we'll have Tadic back soon, Boufal is starting to show us what he is capable of, and Sims looks very lively and impressive. Surely the first choice "front 3" is Boufal/Austin/Tadic...?!

Agree on current first choice three. Feel Austin is a bit of a problem in that he scores but offers little else so if he isn't getting chances, he doesn't really help others to flourish in the way that Lambert, and to a lesser extent, Pelle were able to.

When he isn't in the game is when we look most toothless and his away record is much inferior to at home as is the whole team's.

Agree on current first choice three. Feel Austin is a bit of a problem in that he scores but offers little else so if he isn't getting chances, he doesn't really help others to flourish in the way that Lambert, and to a lesser extent, Pelle were able to.

When he isn't in the game is when we look most toothless and his away record is much inferior to at home as is the whole team's.

Austins all round play has been much, much better recently, very similar to Lambert in fact in the way he controls the ball and brings other team mates into it.

Austins all round play has been much, much better recently, very similar to Lambert in fact in the way he controls the ball and brings other team mates into it.

Really? I thought he was absolutely useless at Palace. Never won a header and looked like a 50 year old playing 5 a side when the ball was at his feet. The more I watch him play the more I think he's just another Billy Sharp, great eye for goal and a born poacher but offers nothing else. The positional play and physicality of Pelle and Lambert were so superior and we really miss that.

I'd start Long, Boufal and Tadic/Sims depending on fitness. Pace, ball control, creativity.

His biggest problem is his pace. Complete lack of it. Our long balls for him to run on to are comical, it's like he has is own personal area of quicksand underfoot. His strength is to be in the box. End of.

Redmond should be doing his running but he's showing he's just not up to the job. We are woefully short up front and it's been biting us in the arris all season.

I've seen Austin have a few good all-round games recently. Didn't see Palace or Hull, maybe he was rubbish in both. But when he came on for J-Rod against Inter (certainly in the San Siro, maybe at home too?) he turned the game because of his hold up play and tenacity in chasing down defenders. I know he's not "pacey" but I've seen him give defenders a run for their money at times. What he lacks in pace he makes up for in doggedness!

I'm not saying he always has a great all round game (but let's face it, Pelle had some diabolical ones too), but I've seen enough games which counter the argument that he never has one.

I think he is still searching for an identity as a player and coupling that with a lack of production it's frustrating to watch him at times.

He has a lot of pace and a good head on him with the ball and can skip around players but there appears to be a lack of polish and true creativity which in our current team only further stifles our awful goalscoring record.

I like his attributes I just want to see them used in a more purposeful way.

I think he is still searching for an identity as a player and coupling that with a lack of production it's frustrating to watch him at times.

He has a lot of pace and a good head on him with the ball and can skip around players but there appears to be a lack of polish and true creativity which in our current team only further stifles our awful goalscoring record.

I like his attributes I just want to see them used in a more purposeful way.

You are joking? I've never seen him win a race for the ball with anyone. Have you? His lack of pace is one thing that has really held back our attack this season. When we attempt a swift counterattack, and look to play the ball through, he's still lagging behind the halfway line. As for a 5 yard sprint, defenders and goalies can give him a 2 yard start and still beat him to the ball easily.

You are joking? I've never seen him win a race for the ball with anyone. Have you? His lack of pace is one thing that has really held back our attack this season. When we attempt a swift counterattack, and look to play the ball through, he's still lagging behind the halfway line. As for a 5 yard sprint, defenders and goalies can give him a 2 yard start and still beat him to the ball easily.

No joke - I do genuinely think he is quick. I wish he would be braver on the ball though.

I agree with thos preaching patience with Redmond. He is a young 22 year old winger with bags of potential and Puel's development of him will be a big plus this season.
You are right, he is young and has a lot of time to turn it around. Obviously the problem which we can all see is that at the moment is he's absolutely shocking yet is starting almost every important game.

It's true he's a shambles right now but he could very well improve if given enough U21 experience or shipped out on loan to a lower league club for a couple of seasons. Perhaps we should be making use of our connections with Eastleigh and giving as many players first team experience down there.

Edited by niceandfriendly

I like Redmond but not convinced he can play as a central striker. That said, we are more 4-3-3 at the moment and he is rarely central.

He has been extremely frustrating to watch in recent weeks, but I can't help but think it is partly Puel's fault in over relying on him. He is not, and never will be any near Thierry Henry's level.

I think he needs to be taken out of the firing line more often, he is far from the finished article. He has good potential but we need to use him more sparingly.

I have always believed in a fundamental philosophy of not buying players that have gone down from the Prem to the Chumpionship. Apart from the likelihood that have picked up losing habits and a losers mentality, the simple fact that they've not inspired the team to do better speaks volumes in itself. Redmond is not good enough and represented a step backwards for SFC rather than assisting improvement. I would much rather see Sims get a start than Redmond - at least he seems to get himself into scoring opportunities.

I agree with this every time there is a clear cut chance from the 6yrd box it is always charlie cutting it in for Long,redmond,JWP,JayRod et al to miss when its easier to score

I agree with this every time there is a clear cut chance from the 6yrd box it is always charlie cutting it in for Long,redmond,JWP,JayRod et al to miss when its easier to score

Agree also. People saying all Austin offers are goals have not been watching. What he does not have is a lot of pace, so if we are playing one up late in the game Long is a much better fit. But other than that he is scoring something like 46% of our goals (highest % in the PL), holding the ball up, and making good runs.

He was not that good.....absolute disgrace tonight. Commentator over here summed it up perfectly when he wondered around in a daydream when the ball went past him but did not go out for a throw in. One said Redmond switched off and the other said "he switched off from the first kick off, he has been terrible".

Yep. I've been reserving judgment on him so far, but he was terrible tonight.

It's clear he has quick feet and a bit of pace, but he dithers on the ball far too much and always makes the wrong decision, before shouting at his team-mates and blaming them for his indecision.

I've watched him closely for a while now. My conclusion is he is a very poor footballer, and that we play as a tighter, better unit when he's out. Puel clearly doesn't see that and that is very worrying. As soon as I saw his name on the list I put a bet on an away win. Even that didn't come off so doubly down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been on the fence about him for a while, recently I've been wondering why he never runs at players in more of a "he could be so much better" way.

But today has put me firmly on the side of "he is bl00dy rubbish". Not sure how I've not noticed before, but he hasn't got a left foot AT ALL. To the extent that half the pitch is unavailable to him. Every time he has to cut back on his right foot, and he doesn't have any pace! He takes the safe option most of the time, and screws up the pass most of the time.

Sims is already much better. Dreadful decision to take him off instead of woeful Redmond.

Redmond has done **** all to justify his fee, let alone his place.

'Tippy tappy namby pamby uppy jumpy hands out in front of me why did you want me to move' type player.

Frustrates the hell out of me - more crop circles than Fabrice Fernandes with the potency of Federico Arias and Stig Johansen.

There, I said it.

This , no end product.

Utter **** tonight, but then you have to question the manager for playing our very much right footed player on the left wing.

How he played the full match is beyond me, he really is the new Jermaine Wright.

I'd much rather have had McQueen on the wing.

He was absolute dire tonight, but to the 'fans' who were against him around me - absolute disgrace, go and find another team to support.

Spent the entire match calling for Hapoel players to stamp on him so he's injured, racial gestures and the like.

There's no denying he was dross tonight, but our fans take on a whole new level of ****tardness sometimes.