Southampton vs. Watford build up

Pass the Dutchie

Given that, according to a few (Always) on here, Silva is a terrible manager because Hull went down, this should be an easy win... Shouldn't it?

Out with Tadic, time to give Boufal a run and show some faith in him.

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida

Hoedt

Bertrand

Lemina

Romeu

Redmond (we literally have no one better atm)

Davis

Boufal

Gabbi

0-0

Given that, according to a few (Always) on here, Silva is a terrible manager because Hull went down, this should be an easy win... Shouldn't it?

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida

Hoedt

Bertrand

Lemina

Romeu

Davis

Boufal

Gabbi

0-0

I'd go for almost the same side, but Long in for Redmond. Play Boufal on the left, Davis in the middle and Long on the right.

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida

Hoedt

Bertrand

Lemina

Romeu

Davis

Boufal

Gabbi

0-0

Why oh why, would you want to persist with Davis, he is one of the reasons we never get in behind the opposition defence. Most of his passes are backwards. Play Boufal behind Gabbi, McQueen on the left, Redmond/JWP on the right. imho of course.

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida

Hoedt

Bertrand

Lemina

Romeu

Davis

Boufal

Gabbi

0-0

Should be now we've replaced a manager who was holding back a team of really good talented players with a manager who can get the best out of the team with exciting pressing football ...

Why oh why, would you want to persist with Davis, he is one of the reasons we never get in behind the opposition defence. Most of his passes are backwards. Play Boufal behind Gabbi, McQueen on the left, Redmond/JWP on the right. imho of course.

Do you really think our captain wont start the game?

This is a must win. Not in the context of relegation or anything like that but in the context of getting a good performance and win at home, to start to see some progression from Puel. We should be beating these teams at home. 4th game of the season, let's see some positivity....

Forster

Berty

Hoedt

Yoshi

Cedric

Romeu

Lemina

Long

Davis

Boufal

Gabbi.

Boufal needs a run of games and to be told by the manger that he will be getting it, he will relax a bit then. Long did ok yesterday, he's no winger but he gives 110%, is decent in the air and can help Gabbi and for the love of god, stop taking Gabbiadini off on the hour mark every game!! I could even see McQueen starting as a winger soon.

I do not believe MP has the nouse to pick what we all can see.....

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida

Hoedt

Bertrand

Romeu

Lamina

Long

Davis

Boufal

Gabbiadini

McCarthy

Stephens

JwP

Austin

Tadic

Redmond

Hoj

Tadic and Remond surely do not deserve to start. When the hell are we going to see Boufal get a run of games, ffs

I would put long in their for his pace and directness, he will get closer to Gabbi going forward too.

However, I am sure we will see both Tadic and Redmond start....as per

I wrote this on Huddersfield thread after the match, but more relevant here...

I think the biggest problem with our team is that our midfield is just too slow (since Puel).

I think we have to always play Romeu plus one of Davis/JWP (never both). They are all slow, so, unless we buy faster versions of them, we need quick (thinking as well as running, so not Redmond) players next to them to support Gabbi. I think Lemina will be great and I'm sure Gabbi can score loads of goals if he gets support.

Based on our current (not on strike) squad,. I'd play the following team (back-ups in brackets):

-----------------------------McCarthy---------------------------

-----------------------------(Forster)---------------------------

Cedric-------------Stephens---------Hoedt-----------Bertrand

(Stephens)-------(Yoshida)--------(Yoshida)--------(Targett)

-----------------------------Romeu------------------------------

----------------------------(Lemina)-----------------------------

--------------Davis------------------------Lemina---------------

-------------(JWP)-------------------------(PEH)----------------

---------Long-------------------------------------McQueen-----

--(Boufal/Gabbiadini)----------------------(Tadic/Redmond)--

-----------------------------Gabbiadini--------------------------

---------------------------(Austin/Long)------------------------

JWP passes backwards and sideways far more often than Davis. In fact, I'd say that unlike the majority of our side, the 1st thing Davis does on receiving the ball is either get his head up to pass forward, or try to drive forward with the ball.

I do not believe MP has the nouse to pick what we all can see.....

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida

Hoedt

Bertrand

Romeu

Lamina

Long

Davis

Boufal

Gabbiadini

McCarthy

Stephens

JwP

Austin

Tadic

Redmond

Hoj

Tadic and Remond surely do not deserve to start. When the hell are we going to see Boufal get a run of games, ffs

I would put long in their for his pace and directness, he will get closer to Gabbi going forward too.

However, I am sure we will see both Tadic and Redmond start....as per

Agree with all of this

Actually I see Davis looking for forward passes quite a bit, probably as much as any other player. Often against Huddersfield we were going sideways as per usual, until Davis tried to pick out a ball forwards. Unfortunately a lot of those times were difficult passes which had very little chance of making it through unless they were inch perfect (they weren't). Davis has faults, but not sure he is any more "sideways" than anyone else at the moment.

Edited by mrfahaji

Forster

Cedric-Yoshida-Hoedt-McQueen

Lemina-Romeu

JWP-Davis-Boufal

Gabbiadini

Would consider having Long on the right and JWP in the middle. Would also like to see Hojbjerg as part of a midfield three with Romeu & Lemina but doesn't look likely at this stage. Obviously I don't think McQueen is a better player than Bertrand, but he hasn't let us down there before and not sure Bertrand can be relied on to play anywhere near his potential atm.

Even though I wouldn't pick Tadic, I still think at his best he would be in the first XI. I hope we see that level from him again, our side would be much the better for it.

Edited by mrfahaji

Hopefully Boufal will start this one and hope we can score early. Some of the chances we get are good just need to put them away.

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida/Stephens

Hoedt

Bertrand

Romeu

Lemina

Boufal

Davis

Redmond

Gabbiadini

Don't understand the hate for Redmond if I'm honest. Direct runner and has a good shot on him. Will definitely come good and I think we will struggle to keep him in future

Don't get this. Have to play Davis to link midfield and attack. Have to drop Tadic and good on set pieces though JWP is, he's not as good an out-and-out attacker as the others. Have to play our only out and out striker (Austin) for goals sake.

I'd play

Forster

Cedric

Stephens/Yoshi

Hoedt

Bertrand

Romeu

Lemina

Gabbiadini

Davis

Boufal

Austin

I know what you mean, but we are undefeated and there are loads of teams who are struggling at the moment. Have to take the positives. Our new AM / striker will come in and take the No 9 shirt and we'll bed Hoedt in. Looking forward to the game where it all clicks.

what have you heard about in comings? good enough to start?

Hopefully Boufal will start this one and hope we can score early. Some of the chances we get are good just need to put them away.

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida/Stephens

Hoedt

Bertrand

Romeu

Lemina

Boufal

Davis

Redmond

Gabbiadini

Don't understand the hate for Redmond if I'm honest. Direct runner and has a good shot on him. Will definitely come good and I think we will struggle to keep him in future

Yep, would go with that side (With Stephens over Yoshida). Redmond's a very important player for us, considering the lack of pace elsewhere in the team. Quite often, when he plays well, we do in general.

Pellegrino will hopefully benefit from having a fair number of the squad available for training over the international break, we only have Bertrand in the England squad and I don't think we've got anyone in u21s any more.

Hopefully a few players who haven't had game time will feature for the Saints u21s away to Peterborough on Tuesday night in the checkatrade trophy.

Yep, would go with that side (With Stephens over Yoshida). Redmond's a very important player for us, considering the lack of pace elsewhere in the team. Quite often, when he plays well, we do in general.

Stephens over Yoshida? Really? Personally think he's been one of our better performers this season and Stephens has shown his naivety. Plus think we need the experience next to Hoedt to help him settle.

To Shurlock.

I suppose you are happy with the sophisticated crap. 5000 passes, one goal from play which took 3 passes and a player running forward. It's no good playing one striker unless the three behind are a goal threat which they are not. I'd sooner see the three strikers on the pitch and at least have some hope we will score rather than no hope.

Edited by derry

I just don't get why people are continuing to put forward the same players time after time, just shuffling the pack but producing no goals. Doing the same thing time after time and expecting a different result is stupidity. We need to change the formation and maybe play the three strikers together with Long leading the line and the two goal scorers playing off him. Romeu and Lamina plus one in midfield. The problem is that Davis, JWP, Tadic, Redmond, Boufal etc freeze when presented with chances, would rather pass than shoot or run, and really don't want to miss. Tadic and his approach to penalties as opposed to Austin's clinical finishing.

To Shurlock.

I suppose you are happy with the sophisticated crap. 5000 passes, one goal from play which took 3 passes and a player running forward. It's no good playing one striker unless the three behind are a goal threat which they are not. I'd sooner see the three strikers on the pitch and at least have some hope we will score rather than no hope.

A couple of observations:

1. Who's going to create chances for them -neither Long nor Austin can create chances for themselves? They're technically limited. With combo of Davis, Lemina and Romeu behind them, our side is painfully short of creativity.

2. Shoehorning Austin and Gabbi as wingers/insider forwards requires them to play slightly deeper. The risk is that Long is still isolated in this setup unless you're prepared to leave Austin and Gabbi up top. That in turn creates a massive gap between our midfield and forwards when developing attacks while leaving our midfield exposed when out of possession.

Never mind that nothing in Austin's locker suggests he can play in such a position (Puel initially experimented with him in a similar position and the experiment was short-lived). Gabbi could play there, though his main strength is playing on the shoulder of the last defender and finding space behind defences, not off other strikers.

Stephens over Yoshida? Really? Personally think he's been one of our better performers this season and Stephens has shown his naivety. Plus think we need the experience next to Hoedt to help him settle.

Agreed.

More than once already this season we've seen Stephens completely lose track of his man in the box, who then had a basically free attempt at goal. Abraham at home, and at least once at Huddersfield.

I prefer Maya for now. Yes he's not flash, and yes he also has major issues with physical attackers, but he won't just let them run around unmarked.

Stephens may be slightly better on the ball, but Maya keeps things simple, and provides more threat going forward.

He may miss his headers more often than not, but at least he's attacking them.

Until such time as we have the two Dutchies playing together, Yoshida-Hoedt would be my preferred pairing.

Evidently he was one of the few players who created a proper chance for us Saturday. By passing forward and by getting us in behind the defence.

Change of widemen for me.

Forster

Cedric Stephens Yoshida Bertrand

Romeu Lemina

JWP Davis Boufal

Gabby

Probably just be 1 change in the end though and redmond will keep his place.

10 of them look OK but playing Ward-Prowse would just guarantee another Southampton Nil reult and I expect Pellegrino has realized that by now.

10 of them look OK but playing Ward-Prowse would just guarantee another Southampton Nil reult and I expect Pellegrino has realized that by now.

Do you not realise that Ward-Prowse is one of the best crossers of the ball in the PL

Thank you!!!!!!! I thought it was just me!!

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida/Stephens

Hoedt

Bertrand

Romeu

Lemina

Boufal

Davis

Redmond

Gabbiadini

Did you watch the Huddersfield game? That should/would have given you your answer. Also he's not a direct runner, he cuts inside and usually makes a simple 5 yard pass. Not always, but most of the time.

Do you not realise that Ward-Prowse is one of the best crossers of the ball in the PL

yet we score from little to none of his crosses?

IMO JWP is too slow and weak and brings little to the team. There's a reason that he's still with us and that is because he's bang average.

If he hadn't come through our academy he wouldn't have half the support he gets.