The Last Post

whelk

Should’ve been a minutes silence after the bugle today. Some clown clapped and the thousands of other sheep followed. Truly pathetic. The poignancy of armistice is lost with fcking clapping.

100% agree, was embarrassing. Think the clapping may have started with the Burnley fans?

Should’ve been a minutes silence after the bugle today. Some clown clapped and the thousands of other sheep followed. Truly pathetic. The poignancy of armistice is lost with fcking clapping.

People generally can't cope with the tension of a silence these days - so clapping like seals is preferred. Pathetic.

100% agree, was embarrassing. Think the clapping may have started with the Burnley fans?

It seemed to come from over in that corner but there's no need for all the other sheep to follow them. The announcement was clear enough but in my opinion there should be a period of silence followed immediately by the Last Post.

I thought from the thread title that this was going to be your farewell post.

I couldn't disagree more. We had about 45 seconds of silence, 15 seconds of clapping and then 93 minutes of silence again.

More like 7 seconds.

As for 93 mins of silence - serve that up and you don’t exactly inspire much singing

Whilst it was embarrassing and utterly stupid, the announcement wasn't THAT clear, especially not to those who may have been p*ssed up. All the announcer said was there would be a moments silence following the Last Post - nothing about the end being signalled by the referees whistle. I don't know why they didn't just stick to the minutes silence begun and ended by the refs whistle.

But all of this gives me an opportunity to raise this point...that I don't think these things should be happening in the weeks leading up to remembrance Sunday anyway. There was a game LAST weekend that had one because they wouldn't be playing at home again until after next weekend...2 weeks before the actual event, not even in November. It reeks of clubs just doing it for the sake of it and not wanting to risk being seen as disrespectful, which in turn just devalues the tribute.

Whilst it was embarrassing and utterly stupid, the announcement wasn't THAT clear, especially not to those who may have been p*ssed up. All the announcer said was there would be a moments silence following the Last Post - nothing about the end being signalled by the referees whistle. I don't know why they didn't just stick to the minutes silence begun and ended by the refs whistle.

But all of this gives me an opportunity to raise this point...that I don't think these things should be happening in the weeks leading up to remembrance Sunday anyway. There was a game LAST weekend that had one because they wouldn't be playing at home again until after next weekend...2 weeks before the actual event, not even in November. It reeks of clubs just doing it for the sake of it and not wanting to risk being seen as disrespectful, which in turn just devalues the tribute.

It could have been simpler - whistle, then silence ended by the Last Post.

This is what should of happened. I was there and I couldn't make out what the announcer said. Having said all of that, remembrance shouldn't need to be explained to people: Remain silent, remember, and pay personal tribute to those who fell.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

It was shocking. I worry about modern Britain when they either can't understand "a 1 minutes silence will follow the last post", or they knowingly disrespect the fallen. It was an utter disgrace.

That said I saw hardly any poppies on display so maybe I am in the minority.

It was shocking. I worry about modern Britain when they either can't understand "a 1 minutes silence will follow the last post", or they knowingly disrespect the fallen. It was an utter disgrace.

That said I saw hardly any poppies on display so maybe I am in the minority.

I remember it as 'a period of silence' which is imprecise to say the least. Although why anybody should think that clapping was appropriate is beyond me.

Why are they using the Last Post at football matches anyway ?

Might be more relevent when they stop these pesky international breaks so that Remembrance Sunday for football does not fall on or about All Saints Day. That way there will be no confusion as to the occasion being celebrated. All Saints for those gone within the year, Last Post for the fallen military who nobody has ever clapped.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I remember it as 'a period of silence' which is imprecise to say the least. Although why anybody should think that clapping was appropriate is beyond me.
It was actually moment of silence, which is even stupider as it suggests just a few seconds.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Sort of agree, but then you could say that the poignancy of Armistice Day is diluted by remembering it a week in advance. I will be bowing my head and remembering on 11/11 and if I am honest, I really don't need a football club doing it at the wrong time just because it is the closest game to the event. PS - I see St Clark raised this point, to which I agree with him.

so morons were applauding the deaths in wars

That's not what they were doing, and well you know that.

Clubs for some reason, quite often bring in a minute's applause (never understood why) in place of silence. Maybe, possibly, probably to drown out morons who used to call out. So people are a little simple and carry on with it as if it is the accepted thing. Totally inappropriate in this instance.

It was actually moment of silence, which is even stupider as it suggests just a few seconds.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

This is what I heard and, despite it's ambiguity, is exactly what happened. I don't think there was any disrespect or ignorance displayed - a few here looking for reasons to be 'offended' I feel!

This is what I heard and, despite it's ambiguity, is exactly what happened. I don't think there was any disrespect or ignorance displayed - a few here looking for reasons to be 'offended' I feel!

Yeah that’s it you thick fcker

There is no such thing as a poor rendition. The poignancy and significance of the piece transcends all performances.
Disagree. If I shoved a trumpet up my arse and farted numerous times into it in an attempt to create a vague approximation of the last post that I'd consider that a pretty poor rendition.

Problem with this is that, traditionally, the last post signifies the end of the day (which is when it was originally used).... after which one or two minutes silence was traditionally held to remember the fallen....after which the Reveille (the wake-up call) is played to signify the start of a new day.

This is how it will be done at Remembrance services this weekend but clearly it's too complex for footy fans.... so they tried to simplify it.....but still too difficult.

Not much more to say really... a slightly sad sign of the times I guess

This has never been an observed in my lifetime of attending football matches except during these past three year or so. I just don't get it. War has nothing to do with football so why has this whole charade become so prevalent or special to the game?

Of course, last Saturday was All Saints Day and should be special but singling out one event from our long bloody history for special commemoration at football matches smacks of sentimentality gone mad. At 11.00am on the 11th day of November ever year we all stand still for a minute or two's silence to remember the sacrifices of our countrymen in the cause of freedom in all wars not just the Great War. Can't we just leave it at that? What is important is not "celebrating" the past but making sure it never happens again to our young men. You do that through education and democracy.

Yes, I lost relatives in both wars and also had a few who were heroes sprinkled in amongst them. They live on in my memory and my kids memories and that must be true for many on here

If you doubt my perspective just reflect that nobody ever pays homage to our losses at Waterloo, Crimea or Austerlitz for that matter. Does anybody know if they had family members there or not?

That's not what they were doing, and well you know that.

Clubs for some reason, quite often bring in a minute's applause (never understood why) )in place of silence. Maybe, possibly, probably to drown out morons who used to call out.

I seem to remember the minutes applause being bought in following the death of George Best, as a lot of fans including myself didn’t think his death particularly in that manner, deserved a minutes silence at grounds across the country, hence the minutes applause was born.

Its no surprise that people began to clap as they’re so confused as to whether we should be applauding or falling silent as we pay tribute to all sorts of things these days. We applauded the All Saints Day silence a few years ago too but nobody seemed to be that bothered by it, it’s worse this time as the club have began linking it to the Armistice Day tribute when there isn’t another home fixture before the 11th.

I seem to remember the minutes applause being bought in following the death of George Best, as a lot of fans including myself didn’t think his death particularly in that manner, deserved a minutes silence at grounds across the country, hence the minutes applause was born.

Its no surprise that people began to clap as they’re so confused as to whether we should be applauding or falling silent as we pay tribute to all sorts of things these days. We applauded the All Saints Day silence a few years ago too but nobody seemed to be that bothered by it, it’s worse this time as the club have began linking it to the Armistice Day tribute when there isn’t another home fixture before the 11th.

Exactly. All the faux outrage over some people clapping is ridiculous. It's entirely the fault of the clubs for muddying the waters by calling for silence or applause whenever they feel like it. If it had always just stayed as silence then it wouldn't be an issue now.

Exactly. All the faux outrage over some people clapping is ridiculous. It's entirely the fault of the clubs for muddying the waters by calling for silence or applause whenever they feel like it. If it had always just stayed as silence then it wouldn't be an issue now.

Faux is it? Is that the same as false?