Is there ANYONE who wants MP to stay?

Bad Wolf

Pellegrino is the Theresa May of football.

Pretty much everything he touches is hopeless. He has no idea what team he really wants. Other people could do the job better if given the chance. And we're heading for a big exit.

Pellegrino is the Theresa May of football.

Pretty much everything he touches is hopeless. He has no idea what team he really wants. Other people could do the job better if given the chance. And we're heading for a big exit.

I see...that's why Lord D thinks the sun shines out of his arse.

#political

Have a couple mates who are same. Few posts on Facebook seem to encourage this too as we simply aren't being listened too.

Reed and Ralph will vanish into the night once we are relegated. Bags of cash paid for complete incompetence

Then relegation will be worth it. 'Lack of ambition' has been a code phrase used by nearly all our leavers for several seasons. The only way to interpret it is that the person in charge making the decisions is taking the club in the wrong direction. Its not just one or two bitter managers or brief high quality players it has also been 'loyal' long serving players like Fonte who have eventually had enough.

I don't 100% buy the whole his head was turned story.

How can you motivate a team to success when you tell them there is no point and its basically impossible to compete for any meaningful honours as the core philosophy of the club... Ralph even came out and said that publicly as much in recent statements.

Ridiculous given the recent history with Leicester.

Love him or loathe the little bastard that was Cortese, at least he dreamed big and believed in what he was selling, and that is the most important thing in the leaders of any competitive business.

I'm not particularly supportive of MoPe but this is an interesting little article on why sticking with a manager is sometimes worthwhile.

As Lee Johnson's Bristol City lost a club-record eighth straight league game in front of 'Johnson out' banners in January 2017, the idea of him avoiding the sack was, to some, even more far-fetched than the Robins dumping Manchester United out of the cup.

Just 12 months, one death threat, one relegation battle and four impressive wins over top-flight sides later, he will lead Bristol City into their first major semi-final for 29 years against Premier League leaders Manchester City on Tuesday.

So how did the 36-year-old go from calls to be sacked - twice in his career - to be heralded as one of England's finest young coaches?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42580152

I'm not particularly supportive of MoPe but this is an interesting little article on why sticking with a manager is sometimes worthwhile.

As Lee Johnson's Bristol City lost a club-record eighth straight league game in front of 'Johnson out' banners in January 2017, the idea of him avoiding the sack was, to some, even more far-fetched than the Robins dumping Manchester United out of the cup.

Just 12 months, one death threat, one relegation battle and four impressive wins over top-flight sides later, he will lead Bristol City into their first major semi-final for 29 years against Premier League leaders Manchester City on Tuesday.

So how did the 36-year-old go from calls to be sacked - twice in his career - to be heralded as one of England's finest young coaches?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42580152

Interesting. There's of course always a chance that things can turn round. But as supporters all we have to go on is what we see from him and from the players. Maybe Johnson was playing youngsters, was popular with the players, had the team playing well but missing chances, or not getting the rub of the green etc. Maybe his players just weren't very good.

With Pellegrino, it could be the case that there are some huge positives behind closed doors, information the board have that means they are well placed to go against the wishes of many fans. But based on what we see on match day, there is next to no evidence. Simply waiting and hoping to turn it around based on the fact that other managers in other jobs have done so is misguided.

(I'm not aiming my comments at you btw, just making a general comment in relation to the article)

Fact of the matter is he isn't getting the boot,I would rather see him be given the funds to bring in the players he wants to play in the style he wants,granted he hasn't had a great start but he has inherited a talented bunch of individuals that do not seem to be able to play together.maybe if he brings in players that will fit his way of playing that have a understanding of him as a manager then maybe we would see better results?

Tadic/Boufal/Redmond have been awful this season and we can all agree with that,they were also pretty poor last season under Puel so maybe the problem lies with the players just as much as the manager,if you are playing one up top you need service from the wingers and the midfield we do not offer any of the strikers any of that with the players we have.

This is why it might be time to sack off the "black box" and let the manager pick the players to improve us rather than Les Reeds magic stat box.

Completely disagree I’m afraid.

It’s precisely because leaving Puel/Pellegrino in place would lead to them to re-build the squad with their type of players that I wanted/want both of them sacked!

If we let Pellegrino re-build our squad with players who suit his style, we may move up the league a bit, but we’ll become the new West Brom or Stoke.

He’ll probably want to sell Gabbi and replace him with Andy Carroll!

I would much rather change the manager to suit the players we already have and play attractive football like we did up until Koeman left.

Pellegrino isn't the problem here - Les Reed is

Just like Black was, or VVD?

Manager picks the team, manager sets the tone. The manager didn't pick Austin for an eternity and wondered why we weren't scoring goals. The manager is still utterly fixated on 1 up front from the start even though it's been a complete flop, not even a glimmer of hope that he might try something different.

His influence permeates throughout and it's a defensive, cowering one. Take a 1-0 lead and defend, invite pressure and invariably concede. Players heads have dropped, Gabbi looks a shadow of his former self and the lack of spearhead has screwed up the whole 11.

Les Reed is to blame as much as he hired this guy and still appears to refuse that he isn't up to it, but the bottom line is MP has taken an adequate squad and wrecked it.

Maybe he's a nice guy - unfortunately being a nice guy doesn't necessarily make you a good manager.

Does he do the subs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manager picks the team, manager sets the tone. The manager didn't pick Austin for an eternity and wondered why we weren't scoring goals. The manager is still utterly fixated on 1 up front from the start even though it's been a complete flop, not even a glimmer of hope that he might try something different.

His influence permeates throughout and it's a defensive, cowering one. Take a 1-0 lead and defend, invite pressure and invariably concede. Players heads have dropped, Gabbi looks a shadow of his former self and the lack of spearhead has screwed up the whole 11.

Les Reed is to blame as much as he hired this guy and still appears to refuse that he isn't up to it, but the bottom line is MP has taken an adequate squad and wrecked it.

Maybe he's a nice guy - unfortunately being a nice guy doesn't necessarily make you a good manager.

Ok to clarify my post. Pellegrino isn't the BIGGEST problem here. Leslie is.

He appoints these **** managers, he signs the average players, he sells the best players.

Hes also destroyed the academy in record time and taken all ambition out of a thriving club.

Similar to his personality we are now dull as dishwater

Excellent post.

He appoints these **** managers, he signs the average players, he sells the best players.

Hes also destroyed the academy in record time and taken all ambition out of a thriving club.

He picked Koeman who was arguably our most successful premier league manager ever.

And then he picked CP, who had a bang average premier league season.

And then hes picked MP, who has been ****e.

So on the whole, in terms of managers, not the worst record, but not the best. I'd hate to work for you, and people like you, by the way. 1 under performing year at work and that would be it, out the door! Jobless! No future! A year would be generous, actually, if we put our fanbase in charge of an organisation.

He picked Koeman who was arguably our most successful premier league manager ever.

So on the whole, in terms of managers, not the worst record, but not the best. I'd hate to work for you, and people like you, by the way. 1 under performing year at work and that would be it, out the door! Jobless! No future! A year would be generous, actually, if we put our fanbase in charge of an organisation.

If I was as utterly **** at my job as Puel and Mp I doubt I would last more than a couple of months probably weeks before my management sussed me out and ****ed me off !

Les has got a lot of things right. Personally, I thought the Lemina and Hoedt buys represented good business for Saints in the Summer.

He he is making an absolute pigs ear of everything at the moment though. He still has time to turn things around, but we're talking days, not weeks.

Could quite easily be an upturn in form, the argument is managers should be given time to shape their ideas to see better results. But the issue is in this day and age managers are simply told by fans and no doubt owners that results must be instant and the short term view of managers in football is something we're all guilty of, simply put i'd like to see us with the same manager who builds a team (even if results mean relegation) and stays on if he is trying to build something more than a temporary winning side, and if we are to have a "Southampton way" the continuity needs to be to stay with a manager even if results are poor.

But when the performances are awful and there's no clear idea of what the manager is trying to do this has led to the calls of MP being sacked, it's not like he's trying new things or trying to play youngsters or a certain style, i don't really think HE knows what he's doing in the long-run from game to game - and he has been unwilling to try youngsters.

I'd happily go down with another manager who at least is building something - even if it means one step back to go forward in the long run.

Could quite easily be an upturn in form, the argument is managers should be given time to shape their ideas to see better results. But the issue is in this day and age managers are simply told by fans and no doubt owners that results must be instant and the short term view of managers in football is something we're all guilty of, simply put i'd like to see us with the same manager who builds a team (even if results mean relegation) and stays on if he is trying to build something more than a temporary winning side, and if we are to have a "Southampton way" the continuity needs to be to stay with a manager even if results are poor.

But when the performances are awful and there's no clear idea of what the manager is trying to do this has led to the calls of MP being sacked, it's not like he's trying new things or trying to play youngsters or a certain style, i don't really think HE knows what he's doing in the long-run from game to game - and he has been unwilling to try youngsters.

I'd happily go down with another manager who at least is building something - even if it means one step back to go forward in the long run.

I do remember Lawrie Mac taking over when Saints were 5th in the old Div 1, and getting us relegated in 20th four months later......

Feel sorry for him in a way, nobody would have been able to save us from relegation following the absolute mess Puel left this squad in. He isn't showing promise though, and hasn't improved anything that Puel destroyed which is worrying. Probably deserves to stay just as an apology to him for having to manage the clusterf*ck that is an ex-Puel squad.
Fv ck me, you really do need some practice. Listen, you may aspire to be Glasgow, but you're not anywhere near his league, you're trying too hard. Relax a little bit, and try and add a little subtlety.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Fv ck me, you really do need some practice. Listen, you may aspire to be Glasgow, but you're not anywhere near his league, you're trying too hard. Relax a little bit, and try and add a little subtlety.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

#niceandslow

A load of ********, you are re-writing history, there were a handful chanting at the back of the Northam and a little bit of booing last season - a million miles from being toxic. The board sacked Puel because the football was dull and ST sales were ****e, Les Reed ****ed up because he thought the squad was better than it was so failed to strengthen enough as well as making a poor change of manager.

No doubt ST sales were a factor. However the atmosphere at the home games was toxic - not enough goals and entertainment. Away form was better and cup final may have had an impact on motivation.

I think we sacked Puel too soon - but it was clear to me from the home fan reactions in the last couple of games that he was likely to go (or at least that was the wisdom of the crowd). Perhaps if the team were behind him or he had naked photos of Les, the board would have seen fit to back him but the crowd made it clear what they wanted.

Other issues (bribery, losing the dressing room, rooted to the bottom) withstanding, I think any manager should be given at least 3 transfer windows to make his mark - as it is MP2 has had 1 (in which he probably had little input). #pellegrino in for me.

No doubt ST sales were a factor. However the atmosphere at the home games was toxic - not enough goals and entertainment. Away form was better and cup final may have had an impact on motivation.

I think we sacked Puel too soon - but it was clear to me from the home fan reactions in the last couple of games that he was likely to go (or at least that was the wisdom of the crowd). Perhaps if the team were behind him or he had naked photos of Les, the board would have seen fit to back him but the crowd made it clear what they wanted.

Other issues (bribery, losing the dressing room, rooted to the bottom) withstanding, I think any manager should be given at least 3 transfer windows to make his mark - as it is MP2 has had 1 (in which he probably had little input). #pellegrino in for me.

If you think that atmosphere was toxic you obviously were not around during the Branfoot days. There was a bit of booing at the end and a few chanting at the back of the Northam. I would describe the atmosphere as 'bored' or 'displeased'. Certainly a million miles from toxic.

I think MLT wrote a piece just after he was sacked which hinted at the reason. Puel met with the board in June and they wanted him to change the playing style, Puel didn't and thats why he left. Sacking him was obviously a mistake but the atmosphere in the ground would not have been a major factor.

If I was as utterly **** at my job as Puel and Mp I doubt I would last more than a couple of months probably weeks before my management sussed me out and ****ed me off !

Really? I see this cliché trotted out on here quite a lot but the world is full of people who are ****e at their job but bumble through regardless without any proactive management for many, many years. Are you sure you would be sacked? Are you sure you're not one of those people?

Lets keep blaming it on VVD when we hit rock bottom in the league.

How about putting your hands up and say ‘Pellegrino has taken the club backwards and that he is like a rabbit starring in the headlights.’

You would not be far wrong Mr Chairman.

Edited by Pilchards

Just maybe its what we need to clear out the deadwood and move on again. Perhaps its the only way to get rid of Kruegar etc and get in some real football knowledge

in the power positions.

I cannot see us staying up - other clubs will put a run together and can see us alienated if that happens so be it there is nothing I can do anymore.

Except keep going and have since 63. Just this year its so unnecessary.

Lets keep blaming it on VVD when we hit rock bottom in the league.

How about putting your hands up and say ‘Pellegrino has taken the club backwards and that he is like a rabbit starring in the headlights.’

You would not be far wrong Mr Chairman.

Where have the club blamed our position on VVD? There is talk of a "cloud" and negativity and lets face it, having your best player sold by the media for months on end cant help morale within a club, but not once have I heard anyone from the club blame VVD for being where we are. The Chairman talked of joint responsibility and that everyone had to do better. Is that not taking responsibility for the situation rather than apportioning blame elsewhere? Not one of us knows what has gone on behind closed doors and yet there are many quick to jump to their own conclusions because they are desperate to pin the blame on someone. It seems to me our best chance of getting out of this mess is to pull together rather than seek and encourage division, but sadly that doesnt seem to be what many others want. When people hope that you lose a football match so that the manager might be sacked, you are well on the slippery slope downwards.

Where have the club blamed our position on VVD? There is talk of a "cloud" and negativity and lets face it, having your best player sold by the media for months on end cant help morale within a club, but not once have I heard anyone from the club blame VVD for being where we are. The Chairman talked of joint responsibility and that everyone had to do better. Is that not taking responsibility for the situation rather than apportioning blame elsewhere? Not one of us knows what has gone on behind closed doors and yet there are many quick to jump to their own conclusions because they are desperate to pin the blame on someone. It seems to me our best chance of getting out of this mess is to pull together rather than seek and encourage division, but sadly that doesnt seem to be what many others want. When people hope that you lose a football match so that the manager might be sacked, you are well on the slippery slope downwards.

When Ralph's comments about how van Dijk had affected the team negatively got lots of media coverage, as they were intended to, Robbie Savage was asked on Talksport what effect a high profile player wanting to leave had on the rest of the team and he instantly replied, absolutely none. We got the same red herring when Fonte was sold. The team is a lot worse without van Dijk and Fonte than it was when they were here, even if they were plannning to leave, although in Fonte's case, I don't think he was. Like nearly all of the managers, staff and players who've left, he just fell out with Les Reed.

He didnt say that though did he. He just said there had been a cloud over the club and negativity. He didnt blame the VVD situation on where we are now. And no, no one at the club blamed the Fonte situation on a loss of form either. How do you know everyone is falling out with Reed? Once again, you make something up to fit your own agenda. Christ, how on earth did we manage 4 top ten finishes in a row? It must have been a complete fluke.

They did a pretty good job of excusing Pellegrino for the team’s performances based on the VVD situation when they sold him. Pellegrino has had the situation “hanging over him” a “fresh start” for the squad and all that...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/27/liverpool-agree-world-record-75m-deal-virgil-van-dijk/

In that December 27 article, Wilson also mentions that Saints hope to add an attacking player “next week”.

Adam Blackmore tweeted that after asking around at Staplewood, there is no problem between Pellegrino and the players. Pellegrino has not “lost” the Saints dressing room.

His same Tweet links to and recommends a lengthy piece on the “Southampton Way”, which is worth a read if you have lots of time and don’t come equipped with an extremely short attention span (like me)...

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamBlackmore/status/951440627681648645?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fsotonians.com%2Fchat%2Fpellegrino-surely-it-is-time-for-a-change

Uncle Les is also a hypocrite. Match his words with actions.

Adam Blackmore tweeted that after asking around at Staplewood, there is no problem between Pellegrino and the players. Pellegrino has not “lost” the Saints dressing room.

His same Tweet links to and recommends a lengthy piece on the “Southampton Way”, which is worth a read if you have lots of time and don’t come equipped with an extremely short attention span (like me)...

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamBlackmore/status/951440627681648645?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fsotonians.com%2Fchat%2Fpellegrino-surely-it-is-time-for-a-change

A few more iffy results and he will lose the dressing room, imagine how bad we'll be THEN! :scared: